657 Users Online
Bing, Google, Hazelnut, Vanadis

It's the hard lessons we're learning — Dead Empress Backwater 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Flywolf who has 320 posts.
Lone Wolf No Rank
Archer Valle
takes place 9/23, immediately following the pack hunt. For @Eros and @Viorel

Archer was still angry, but mostly he was... he wasn't sure what he was. So many emotions competed for his attention. He was mad at Eros for getting them into trouble. He was mad at Da for being so unfair, for not even giving him the chance to explain. He was mad at himself for not staying put with Aunt Sharlee and letting Eros meet his own consequences. Da wouldn't let Eros get hurt; Archer knew that. He should have trusted Da more.

And he felt guilty. He'd hit Eros pretty hard, and shouted at him in front of Da. Eros had already been upset, and Archer made it worse. He could have corrected him differently. He didn't need to be so mean. And now, even worse, Eros was ignoring him. Not only had he rebuffed his attempts at reconciliation on the walk back, the older Valle boy had now tucked his head into a hole and was quietly crying. Any attempts Archer had made to comfort him had gone unacknowledged.

So now, Archer himself laid in front of the den, head on his paws and feeling sorry for himself. He'd really wanted to be on that hunt. Really bad. And he didn't like to be in trouble. Da wasn't usually one to get mad.

He sighed.

[size=x-small]Archer is very haggard and thin; it is obvious he is not doing well.
Played by Cade who has 496 posts.
Dead Empress Backwater II. Leader
Eros Valle
It was his fault. That was about as much as he could gather, given his brother's angered outburst. He'd ruined the day, their first hunt, and maybe even more than that. He'd never seen Dad so irate, meaning Eros had no idea what happened next. Would the man stay that way, was this something permanent? A new reality, like stepping outside of the den for the first time?

When they reached the den, Eros hadn't spoken. Instead, he found himself the most isolated and closed-in spot he could in the den and stuffed himself into it, tear-drenched face stuffed against the dirt. He wished he could just become the dirt, unfeeling and just there, unable to let anyone down because no one expected anything from it at all.
Played by Ghost who has 625 posts.
Dead Empress Backwater I. Leader
Viorel Valle

Completing the hunt successfully had allowed Viorel to release some of the anger that he had felt when his sons had disobeyed them. In fact, on his way back to the den he felt guilty for letting his emotions get the best of him twist in his now full belly. He carried a hunk of elk in his jaws, a kind of peace offering for the children. Despite how guilty he felt over the strength of his reaction, he still stood by his decision for sending them back without a lesson.

When he arrived Archer was laying in front of the den, but Eros was nowhere to be seen. Placing the venison down at his paws, it did not take long to determine that his other boy was shoved deep down, hiding away from the world. Viorel sighed, fatherhood was teaching him that he needed to work on his sensitivity.

Keeping his tone stern, but lacking all the anger that had coloured it earlier he called, ”Eros, come out here, I have to speak with you.” Then he nudged the meat towards Archer, an olive branch.

[Image: s38i5ZS.png]
Lone Wolf No Rank
Archer Valle
It seemed forever before Da finally came back, an hunk of meat in his jaws. Archer lifted his head from his paws as Da approached, but otherwise didn't move. The smell of the fresh meat made the pup's mouth water, but he wasn't sure he was allowed to have any. He glanced behind him to the den where Eros was hiding. He brother wouldn't dare defy their Da again, would he? Not right now. But this time, Archer was listening to Da and Eros could take the consequences of his actions by himself if he chose to stay put.

Da nudged the food toward him, and Archer eyed it. He was hungry, but at the same time he felt a little sick to his stomach. He'd never really been in trouble before. He didn't know what was coming. Where was Ma? Had Da called her? Was he going to tell her later? Would they get punished a second time when she found out?

[size=x-small]Archer is very haggard and thin; it is obvious he is not doing well.
Eros Valle
Eros heard something move nearer to the entrance, and thought maybe Archer was coming to try and get him to talk again. The boy curled up even more tightly before hearing his father's voice. His ears clenched downward as if to defend from the command, and for a moment he just froze, anxious and upset and not ready for whatever it was Dad wanted to talk about.

The silence that followed, knowing that his father was waiting on him, was worse. He didn't want to get in trouble for something else too, and that was the drive that pushed him up on his feet. Head low and tail at his stomach, he moped his way closer, stopping further away than he normally would have and sitting down on his rump.
(This post was last modified: Jan 06, 2022, 03:20 AM by Eros.)
Viorel Valle

Archer didn’t reach for the food, and Eros looked absolutely miserable when he left the den and plopped himself down away from the pair. Nudging the elk closer to his son again, he sighed, not entirely sure what to say to his sons now that the time had come. Standing up and pacing back and forth a few times, he grit his teeth in frustration, why didn’t he know what to say? Why the fuck hadn’t he had a father himself who he could use as an example in these situations?

Finally, his paws stopped and he decided to do the only thing he could think of; talk to them like adults. They were getting close to it by now anyways. ”I am sorry that I yelled at both of you, I should not have lost my temper like that.” Viorel looked up now, yellow eyes still stern but clearly remorseful, ”But, I need you to understand that when an adult gives you an order, you must listen and do what you’re told. Hunting is incredibly dangerous, in hunts gone wrong wolves have been known to get gravely injured, and sometimes die.”

The leader shifted on his paws, was that too morbid? ”I want you two, and all your siblings to be safe, and the pack cannot keep you safe if you aren’t listening to what you’re told.” There would need to be a punishment, but he was still silently mulling over what was most appropriate.

Lone Wolf No Rank
Archer Valle
To Archer's immense relief, Eros crawled out of hiding. To his immense dismay, Eros plopped down a short distance from them. Archer frowned at his littermate's back, but didn't say anything. He didn't want to bring down worse punishment upon them.

He turned his eyes instead to his da, who nudged the piece of elk closer. Archer's nose twitched and his mouth watered at the smell, but still he made no move toward it. He was too sick with worry over what Da was about to say.

An apology was not what he expected. His ears flicked and he glanced at Eros. Would he accept Da's apology at least? His gaze was quickly drawn back to Da as he continued, insisting on their obedience for their own safety. Archer's eyes widened as he nodded. "I was just coming to get Eros," he mumbled, finally finding enough courage to give himself at least a little defense. Da didn't seem as angry anymore. "I didn't want him to get hurt, or in trouble."

Eros Valle
Eros saw his father and the carcass both move, but for once food had no rousing effect on him. In fact, when silence along with what felt to him to be furious pacing was all that came from the man, the young boy couldn't help the tears that flooded his eyes. He wanted to close them, close out his surroundings, but he was afraid that if he did they would fall and mar his cheeks and then he'd be literally the biggest baby in the world.

So instead he glared intensely at the floor, even as Viorel finally started to talk. They flicked up to his dad's face in surprise when the word sorry was spoken. He was... what? The older wolf went on, emphasizing why they had upset him. What he said didn't not make sense, but Eros still shrunk down lower with guilt and a pinch of frustration at every sentence. He wanted to put up a defense, tell his dad that he hadn't heard him, that he'd started listening right when he'd been told and he'd heard want and that he wanted to be with his dad and favorite uncle. Was that a crime? How could he blamed for not listening to something he hadn't heard?

The argument for himself, so strong in his own young mind, swirled loudly but he didn't get a word of it out. His teeth gritted and emotion instead of a voice welled up inside his throat, creating a blockage. Before he could muster the willpower to clear it, Archer was speaking, and Eros was defeated all over again. The tears were freely falling now, and he couldn't help but sob audibly.

All his stupid fault.
(This post was last modified: Jan 06, 2022, 04:47 AM by Eros.)
Viorel Valle
This is Viorel's exit

Archer seemed to at least hear what it was that needed to be heard, and Viorel looked away quickly when he saw tears begin to fall down Eros’ face. He felt bad, he felt guilty, and…a small part of him that he was ashamed of felt frustrated that his son was crying. Yes, he had lost his temper, but they had not been listening and he just wanted to keep them safe. He had apologized, why was he still crying.

Swallowing hard, Viorel suppressed the thoughts as much as he could. Looking back to Archer he nodded, ”I know you want to keep your brother safe, but you should have called for an adult, or told Clover and Sharlee. You need to trust the adults to do their job to protect you both, and to do the disciplining when necessary.” Speaking of, it was time to dole out their punishment.

Still not looking at Eros, Viorel straightened up, ”Since neither of you listened, you are both grounded. You are not to be within even eyesight of the borders for the next moon, whether you have an adult with you or not.” He expected some protest from this, but he pushed on, ”And, you will both need to apologize to Clover and Aunt Sharlee. They were taking their time to help teach you, and you were disrespectful by running from them, they deserve to hear that you are sorry.” Sure, he preferred take down to chasing, but that had not been their assignment. For the good of the pack you often had to do what you didn’t want to do.

Standing, he gestured with his muzzle towards the elk, ”If you’re hungry please eat while it is fresh, I have to go speak with your mother. Thank the sea gods neither of you weren’t hurt, she would tear my ears from my head.” Not even an exaggeration. Viorel took one more look over his sons, and then turned to leave, Vanadis was not going to be happy.

Lone Wolf No Rank
Archer Valle

Archer Valle

Archer knew that his excuses wouldn't get him out of trouble as soon as he spoke them. He internally cringed when Eros sobbed, and he looked back at him. It was only his Da speaking again that kept him from going to his brother's side. Archer nodded to show he understood; he would trust the adults more next time.

And then their punishment was explained. Archer's eyes went wide and he opened his mouth to complain - all he'd done was try to stop Eros! This wasn't fair! - but Eros was still crying and the younger boy didn't want to make things worse. He closed his mouth and slumped, ears back and head falling as he accepted the consequences of his disobedience, well-intentioned as they had been. He nodded solemnly. "Okay Da," he said glumly.

But there was worse news. He was going to tell Ma! Archer cowered a little more, thinking about the scolding they might get when they saw her later. He hoped she didn't worsen their punishment. That would be even more unfair. But Archer said nothing as he watched his da go, then turned and hesitantly nudged Eros's shoulder with his nose. "I'm sorry for yelling," he said again, now that his brother was no longer hiding away from him. "Are you okay?" He looked earnestly at his brother, hoping he would forgive him. "We should try to eat, okay? I don't think Da's too mad; he brought us food and everything." With that last gentle urge he tucked his head over Eros's neck in a hug, then began picking at the hunk of elk. It was up to Eros now.