(See All?) Announcements
530 Users Online
Google, Bing

count your blessings — Swallow Swallet 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Molo who has 154 posts.
Lone Wolf No Rank
Alarick
Clover, it seemed, had a slightly different opinion as it came to winter. There was certainly truth to her statement, in that the season was a necessary part of the cycle of all living things. Alarick could recognize and appreciate that, but he was not looking forward to experiencing it on his own. ”That is true. I suppose it makes me all the more appreciative of the revival that spring creates.” If winter was his least favorite season, then spring had to be the one he liked most, for exactly that reason.

His new acquaintance though, thankfully, seemed incredibly eager to share some of her knowledge. Her eyes were alight with excitement, tail waving happily. He could not help but feel a little surprised, eyes widening as the other decided to go along with the idea. The other inquired as to whether there was anything specific he wished to know about, to which his brow furrowed a little.

”I suppose, I would like to know of anything used to treat injuries.” That seemed like the most likely reason he would have for using herbs, he thought, whether it be to treat himself or someone else. ”And then, anything else you think is important or useful.” Whatever insight he could gain, really, would be more than he had now.

Clover offered to explain while they started to search, an idea Alarick agreed to with an enthused nod. He offered the other a smile, for he certainly had not expected things to go so well, here. It would be nice to work towards a goal with someone else, for a time. ”That would be great! And I.. well, thank you. I appreciate your kindness.”
Played by Melorama who has 386 posts.
Dead Empress Backwater III. Medic
Clover Assana
She could agree with him there. The welcoming rains and warmer weather of spring would not be nearly as amazing if it were not for the harshness of the winter before it. Her attention was on Alarick as he decided what he wanted her to teach him about, and she nodded along as he spoke. That would be easy enough, and it made the most sense. Injuries were more likely to occur than disease or illness for a lone wolf, so she could understand his reasoning.

"Oh no need to thank me," Clover said with a soft scoff, though not one of scorn or dismissal, more urging him to not treat her better just because she was willing to help him out. "I always say every wolf deserves some kindness, so it's no trouble at all, Alarick." It was just in her nature to help out others who were willing to accept it. She then turned to the surrounding woods, keen eyes swiftly scanning the undergrowth and trees. "I'm currently looking for Black Hawthorn; it's a large shrub with grey-looking bark, dark green leaves, and white flowers with green-yellow centers. There is unlikely to be any fruit remaining, but it's dark purple should there still be some not eaten by the birds and small critters." She gave a detailed description of the shrub, and then motioned for Alarick to follow her as she began to walk away form the strange hole.

As for what to first teach him about while the searched, she pondered quietly for a few minutes, deciding on a few main ones to explain rather than inundating him with an immense amount of knowledge he would likely forget immediately. "Arnica is very good for bruises, sprains and cuts. It's a bright yellow flower that can be used to make an ointment or paste by either chewing it up, or grinding it with a small amount of water. But don't swallow it as it can cause unwanted ill effects." That was an easy one, not only to find, but also to make into an appropriate form to use on either oneself or another. "Ergot is a fungus that grows on grains such as wheat, barley, and oats, and is very useful for stopping bleeding if someone has a large open wound. It works best when eaten in small amounts multiple times a day, but I find making a paste and applying it to the wound can also help with the bleeding." That one was also very useful, as sometimes it was necessary to stop a wolf from bleeding excessively, but it could only do so much to restrict blood flow. Clover then paused in her explanations, wanting to give Alarick some type to absorb the information before continuing on. She still had a couple more she would like to tell him about that would be the most useful to him.
Lone Wolf No Rank
Alarick
Clover stated that it.. wasn’t really any trouble, and that there was no need to thank her. Alarick felt quite differently, but rather than put words to that opinion, he simply offered a nod, reasoning that he would have quite likely said something similar, were he in the same position. "Ah, well, it is very kind.” The former hunter chose to offer instead, though it seemed they were of a similar mindset, so the other already knew how greatly he appreciated the gesture.

It was quite nice to leave behind the odd, gaping chasm too, for Alarick found he much preferred to listen and attempt to commit to memory the herb names and descriptions Clover spoke of thereafter. She began with what she was looking for, before listing off a couple of options for things that could be used to treat wounds of various types. Mentally, he repeated her words and tried to picture the things described, so that he might recognize them if or when he would eventually come across them.

And though he hoped to retain the information, Alarick also hoped he would not be put in a situation where he would ever have to use it. Still though, he had one more follow-up question for the moment. ”Those do sound useful. What.. sorts of environments would they be found in?” He was at least aware of that. Not all plants grew in the same places, so knowing where to find them seemed almost as important as knowing what they were used for.
Clover Assana
Alarick seemed to have a thoughtful expression as she began to describe in detail the two plants, and she waited patiently after she finished, giving him as much time as he needed. Her gaze turned to the scenery around them, on the lookout for the telltale signs of shrub amongst the rest of the foliage and undergrowth. It stood out a bit in comparison, but the bush wasn't particularly large and so it could be easily overlooked. When he finally spoke up she looked back at him, giving him her full attention.

Ah, that was a good question, and she was glad he had asked it. At the very least it meant he was paying attention and wanted to know more than she had already told him. "Arnica is found most commonly in meadows or open stretches of land where there aren't many trees or shrubs blocking their growth. If you find a place with many flowers around, chances are you might find some Arnica too. They thrive in sunny areas, so if you can to an area with a bit of elevation in a forest, you might get lucky there, too." The flower was quite visible so it was hard to miss, and it was also quite pretty looking as is.

"Ergot can be found in almost any conditions, whether that is in open meadows and fields, up in the mountains, in forests, or even in dense thickets. It's quite a versatile fungus, and if you can find any grains growing in those areas, you'll likely find some Ergot as well." It was one of the easiest medicinal herbs to find in her opinion, and she certainly had no shortage of it as it also kept quite well in her medicinal den.

"Do you have more questions about those two, or should I continue on with another few plants?" She'd be more than happy to answer any further questions he may have.
Lone Wolf No Rank
Alarick
While attempting to take in everything, the former hunter had to remind himself to remain on the lookout for the herb Clover had stated she was looking for, as well. Recalling that description, he took a moment to do a quick scan of the immediate area, but it did not seem as if much of anything was nearby. But not quite all of the plant life had been frozen or killed off yet, so perhaps there was still a chance of finding the.. Black Hawthorn. That was it.

Alarick returned his focus to the other as she elaborated on the areas they might be found in, next. Of the two herbs listed so far, only Arnica seemed to require a specific sort of terrain to really thrive in, while the other could be found almost anywhere, it seemed. Ergot was the one that he should probably focus the most on trying to remember, then, although Arnica sounded easy enough, too.

When Clover posed a question back, he contemplated a moment, before giving his head a slight shake. ”I have no more questions for those. I believe.. you have answered anything I would want to know. I think.. I can handle a couple more, too.” He spoke with a fair amount of confidence, hoping to retain at least half of this lesson. He would have nothing to do but mull over her words and commit them to memory once they parted ways, so Alarick was fairly confident he would be able to recall.. most of what he had and would be told. It helped immensely too, that he had an instructor that was thorough with her answers.

”I have not seen any black hawthorn, yet, either,” he added on, both to remind himself and assure the other that he had not forgotten to keep an eye out for that, too.  
Clover Assana
She took note of the confidant tone in his voice, knowing very well that it was a lot of information to take in, but at the very least he still seemed receptive to learning more even after everything she had thrown at him so far. Clover nodded and hummed softly when he said he hadn't spotted any of the Black Hawthorn yet; she hadn't either, it was seemingly very well hidden here. "Don't worry if we can't find any, I'm not in dire need of any right now." While it would be useful if she could stock up her stores with a bit extra, she had enough to hopefully last the winter as long as none of the Backwater members began to suffer from cold limbs along with chest pain.

Clover gave him a momentary glance, offering a warm smile, before her gaze returned to the shrubbery around them, carefully walking around and over any obstacles in her way as she searched. "Yarrow is another important plant with many uses. When eaten it can lessen excessive bleeding, help a wolf fall asleep, reduce the effects of fever, nausea, and infection, and even improve any digestive problems. When used as a poultice on the skin it can help bruises, cuts, sprains, infections, and even some rashes. It's found as a bunch of flat-looking flowers with long light green stalks, where the flowers are primarily white, but can also be found in yellow or pink. Yarrow can be found pretty much anywhere clumps of flowers are able to grow: meadows, forests, places like that."

She took a moment to breathe, and also allow him to think over what she said before moving onto the final plant she would teach him about. These four should be enough and cover a wide array of symptoms that if someone was ill he could at least help them a little bit. "The final plant I'll teach you about is Skunkbush. It can help with tooth pain when the berries are chewed and eaten, and chewing the bark - but not eating it - can lesson any sickness symptoms from a cold or allergies. The leaves can also be ground up to release some of the moisture and spread along the back to stop insects from biting you in the warmer months. It's found as a bush with green leaves, white or pale yellow flowers, and bright red berries in spring and summer, and it can be found pretty much anywhere there is green growth to be found, but most commonly in wetlands and other moist areas, or open meadows. There, that was all the information she felt Alarick should need to know, at least until they met again, or she felt she might break his brain with too much plant knowledge at once.
Lone Wolf No Rank
Alarick
It was at least somewhat reassuring to know that Clover was not in immediate need of the black hawthorn. That was good, although Alarick did hope that they would manage to find some so that this trip would be productive for her as well. She continued to search as she spoke of the next plant, a task the former hunter had a bit more difficulty with. It was not so easy to listen and look for something at the same time, so he chose to put more effort into listening and learning.

”I had heard of yarrow, before, but I did not know it had so many applications,” he mused aloud. Yarrow seemed like it was certainly the most important one to remember, then. The final plant was also practical, albeit oddly named, but it did have one use that was intriguing. A plant having the ability to prevent insect bites was not something he had ever considered. That was one he would have to try to remember, too, though not at the expense of yarrow.

”Arnica, ergo, yarrow, and skunkbush,” Al repeated aloud, hoping that doing so would aid a tiny bit in committing at least the names to memory. ”Those four sound like they cover.. a wide range of needs.” All of them were practical, and could treat just about any condition that he could think of, or might run across in the future.

”It must take.. a very long time, and a lot of devotion to commit such a wide array of knowledge to memory. That is truly commendable.” Given this example, Alarick held an even greater sense of respect for those that had the capacity to learn such things than he had before. ”Thank you, again. I appreciate your knowledge, and time, very much.”
Clover Assana
She laughed softly at his comment. "Yes, it is quite versatile. I find it useful to use when I'm unable to narrow down exactly what is ailing a wolf, or if they have multiple different symptoms." Some conditions were pretty straightforward, but there was always a case here and there where she couldn't figure out what was specifically causing the illness, and so using a plant such as Yarrow was useful in at the very least improving the wolf's condition while she set to figure out the actual cause.

"Ergot," she said quickly with a sideways glance, no maliciousness in her tone as she only sought to correct his use of the name. It wasn't the most important thing to know the name in comparison to knowing what the plant did and what it was used for, but if he came upon another wolf it would be good for him to make sure he knew the proper names.

Clover hummed softly then, lips quirking up in a small smile. Yes, those four were very much day-today herbs with the exception of skunkbush. It didn't have versatile applications like the other three, but being able to keep the biting insects at bay was a surprisingly welcoming use, particularly during the warmer months. It was more of a comfort herb than a healing herb, and so was often overlooked.

A bit of warmth spread up her cheeks at Alarick's next words, and she softly cleared her throat to give herself a few moments to recollect herself. She was still getting use to compliments, but it was nice to hear. "It is a lot of work, many months and years of learning, but whenever I help someone I remember why it's worth it." She didn't need to hear thanks from those she helped, as she would do it regardless, but it was a nice thing to receive regardless. "It's no trouble at all. If what I teach you helps you even once, then I consider the time taken to be worth it!"

It was then that out of the corner of her eyes she spotted the familiar white flowers and their yellow-green centers. She veered off to the small bush, inspecting it carefully. "Here's the Black Hawthorn if you'd like to take a look at it," Clover called out over her shoulder to Alarick. "This one can be used for chest pains not related to digestive issues, but the reasoning for it is a bit complex unless you've been taught more about why certain plants are used to treat specific ailments." Unless he wanted to listen to her talk for likely an extended period of time she figured it was better to keep this explanation brief, and if this plant was needed it would be best to try and seek out an experienced healer who could correctly administer it.
Lone Wolf No Rank
Alarick
Yarrow was also something his company stated could be useful if she was not exactly sure what was ailing someone. While that sounded a bit risky to him, with little training, Al trusted the other enough. Clover had not mentioned any possible negative effects of it, so hopefully, there were not any. It was certainly versatile and was the one he would try hardest to remember.

It was not very often as of late, that he had the opportunity to learn something completely new, like this. While the short lesson Clover had shared was probably very little in comparison to what she knew, it was, at least, a start. For however long it lasted, Alarick had new things to think about, and that was a pleasant change of pace also.

Years of learning were what it had taken for Clover to know what she did, a process he did not think would ever stop for her. But she spoke something else that he agreed with - if the knowledge helped even once, it would be worth it. ”Odds are it will, eventually,” Al murmured with a slight dip of his head. Over the course of a lifetime, he was sure he would encounter a situation where the knowledge would be helpful. If he could actually remember it.

”I cannot help but wonder how many generations it took for all of this to be learned, and passed down,” the former hunter mused aloud. He wondered who out there had initially thought to use plants for treatments. And how many times had someone gotten something wrong - with disastrous effect, before discovering something that was helpful? The thought was a little chilling.

Clover pointed out the black hawthorn was pointed out shortly thereafter, but it was not something Al thought he would try to remember. Chest pains? That sounded.. concerning, and like a more complex lesson than could be taught in a day. He studied the bush for a moment, but remained back, so as to keep out of the way. ”I suppose.. I should keep moving, and let you do your work. It has been a great pleasure, Clover. Farewell.”

-good to fade here, i think. Thank you for the thread, as well!
Clover Assana
Oop, sorry for the wait on my exit post! But thank you for the thread, I enjoyed writing with you a lot! <3

She glanced at him, ears pricking forward as she spoke. Her family had been passing down their healing knowledge to the younger generation for as long as even her grandparents could remember, so Alarick was not wrong in his thoughts. While Clover didn't have a specific number to give him, she knew that at least for her family it was quite a few generations. But it did make her wonder as to how long it took for her ancestors to learn about even the most basic herbs.

"My family has been learning and teaching for quite a few generations now, and I'm continuing that by passing on my knowledge to my own children," she said with a smile. Only time would tell if they decided to pursue an official interest in healing, or if they would simply learn some on the side while they focused on another role.

At his clear indication of wanting to part ways, Clover dipped her head. It had been nice to speak with someone who seemed genuinely interested in learning more about what she knew, and she would love to speak with him again should their paths ever cross in the future. "A pleasure for me as well, Alarick. I hope you stay safe on your travels." And with that she gingerly harvested a small amount of the Black Hawthorn, just enough for a solid mouthful, before glancing once more at the man over her shoulder and heading back in the direction of her home.