(See All?) Announcements
660 Users Online
Google, Finley, Bing, Sophrosnia

we got the dreamer's disease — Fool's Gold Chasm 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Cade (inactive characters) who has 187 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Leviticus Armstead
It was time to start thinking of a life without River. Leviticus needed to move forward, in some way, and the best he could think of was helping. Focusing on the problems of others so that he didn't have to think about himself and his own feelings at all. His friend had left a vacancy behind, an untended medical den and a role that would one day be needed by the pack. Levi supposed that was a place to start, even if he knew healing was not his passion. He had the knowledge, why not start using it?

Quiet and demure, he wandered the pack's central territory seeking Adelard. It was the leader's choice, after all, whether or not he even trusted Levi with something so important. When at last he caught sight of the man, the younger wolf's ears perked and he tentatively approached.

"Um... @Adelard? Do you... have a moment?"
(This post was last modified: Mar 06, 2022, 02:20 AM by Viorel.)
[Image: qfzMxz5.png]
Played by Greyer who has 234 posts.
Paradise Falls XI. Subordinate
Adelard Gerau
Winter was reaching a mid-point and Adelard had been spending some time at the heart of Fools' Gold Chasm. He was trying his best to reserve his energy for important things. Traversing the borders day in and day out, and running himself ragged was starting to take a toll. Having managed a night's worth of sleep, the Leader was lounging about not far from the den entrance. A lazy, cloudy day nap was in order but his eyes were not yet heavy.

He heard Levi before Levi even appeared. Half-lidded eyes found the man's tawny paws but he did not lift his head.

"Um... Adelard? Do you... have a moment?"

His right ear flicked backward at the pronunciation of his name. He pulled the corner of his maw into an inkling of a smile before shifting into a more sphinx-like position. There was a small wag of his tail. The conversation they had had outside of the territory some time ago had been nice. The perfect icebreaker.

He looked to the space of forest on either side of Levi before focusing on the man's face. Well, if it was going to just be the two of them, no use pushing him away. Wasn't like he was doing anything this instant anyway...

"Sure," his voice was rough from his hours of dreamless slumber, "What can I do you for?"
(This post was last modified: Jan 06, 2022, 09:38 PM by Adelard.)
heat stroke, bring the fire
ADELARD GERAU
black smoke, I take it higher
Inactive No Rank
Leviticus Armstead
Levi worried he might have disturbed his alpha, but the man made it clear he was content to hear him out. Still, nerves caused his muscles to crawl beneath his skin in worry about over-stepping or being laughed away, especially when despite friendly posture a brief measure of silence persisted before the clay-backed wolf was welcomed to speak. He pushed through, answering when addressed.

"I uh, wanted to talk to you about the, um," what had they called him? "healer's position. It... wasn't my calling like it was his but, I studied with River - everything he learned, I did too. So I thought... if you guys needed me to..."

He trailed off, the desire to know exactly what Adelard was thinking overpowering his own voice. Levi was certainly ready to throw a quick 'nevermind!' and scurry away at the first hint of rejection.
(This post was last modified: Jan 09, 2022, 06:29 PM by Leviticus.)
Adelard Gerau
"I uh," Levi began. He sounded almost hesitant or unsure. Adelard's face remained collected, the whole of his body almost lazy, lax, and easygoing. The old Adelard, the one meant to take over his father's pack, would have easily lost his patience and snapped. It was with wide-angled ears and a smooth brow that the Leader listened.

Levi's voice fading away was the only cue that Adelard picked up on. Was he being intimidating again? Too serious? A whiskered brow quirked upward before returning to its original position. Ah, maybe too quiet. As usual...

He stretched his neck out before angling it, cueing to Levi that his interest had been piqued. "Oh yeah?" he started, his tone almost humored. He wasn't quite sure why, but he supposed he was very into the idea that Levi pressed against the norms back at home.

The words of his next question weighed heavy on the ears. Had it not been for the lightness of tone and the smile on Adelard's face, it was easy to mistake it for skepticism. "So, if healing was not your calling, then what was?" Curiosity was key here, the Leader wanted to know exactly why Levi was here right now. In one casual move, he crossed his forepaws, "I genuinely want to know." He was quick to add, to ensure their conversation kept its cordial feel, "No judgment. If you need a moment to collect the words, we have all the time in the day."
ADELARD GERAU
Inactive No Rank
Leviticus Armstead
Adelard's quiet nature did indeed inspire uncertainty within Levi. In that way, the man reminded him of his own father, and he couldn't help but fear they might have more in common, in the way that Leviticus would inevitably disappoint him. Repeatedly, severely disappoint. River had clearly been fond of the leader, however, and the other's kindness proved to not be as rare as the younger wolf anticipated.

His demeanor picked up at the convivial way with which Adelard spoke, ears and eyes both lifting even as the professed interest took him by surprise. Was... was he not going to be able to do it because of that? He'd still gotten good marks in his studies...

No judgment.

Well, alright then. Levi would take him at his word. As much as he wanted to give a good answer, he didn't need the time offered, because the truth was painfully simplistic.

"I don't know."

A beat, and drifting of his gaze.

"Might not have one. But I have this knowledge, and so if I'm not using it to help others, what does that make me?"

Lichen met sunshine once more, genuine curiosity now present in his own voice as well. Perhaps there was an answer other than selfish, heartless?
Adelard Gerau
What Levi offered was straightforward and simple, "I don't know. Might not have one."

Adelard's head leveled and he looked at the russet man straight in the face. He had a feeling that Levi really did have a calling in botany and its practical uses. He just didn't see it.

The Leader fought the urge to shake his head (and, thus, give the wrong impression). He was getting ahead of himself and mistaking this exchange for an epiphany. As Levi had stated, he was a resource that was not being utilized. That was that.

He answered with a tone that was flat compared to his previous question. "Valuable." His brows rose, and there were a few moments of silence on his behalf. Unseeing eyes glossed over he trawled through his memory. What did his parents do in instances like this? Surely, as an appointed heir, he had been a witness to such a thing.

His vision focused in a blink. It was with an expectant gaze that he addressed Levi once more, "So show me then what you are capable of."
ADELARD GERAU
Inactive No Rank
Leviticus Armstead
Leviticus would have thought he'd done as dreaded, but while Adelard's friendly tone abated, the single word spoken beat back the creeping doubt. It wasn't the answer he'd expected, but the man's simple sincerity withered the questions that might have otherwise followed. Levi was valuable, even if he didn't take on this mantle.

His mossy eyes blinked back, utterly unsure of what to do with such a declaration. He might've thought he was expected to respond, but it was clear thought had become the pale-cheeked wolf, and the tawny subordinate waited instead for the other to guide the next leg of this little talk.

So show me then what you are capable of.

It was back in his paws, which fidgeted beneath him. That could mean a lot of things, couldn't it? He wondered if pinpointing exactly what was part of the test. Would he want to see him in an emergency, to hear the knowledge recited, or was he seeking more than just a single moment?

Levi took a breath and repeated to himself within his skull; I am valuable. I've got this.

"... I can fix up the infirmary," he said, watching Adelard's lips carefully, "restock what's needed, make sure it's ready for the worst."

He took a step with one paw, forward but at an angle - he was able and willing to start right at this moment, so long as his alpha did not disagree. The rust was breaking free from the gears within his mind, allowing them to turn and begin to think, as he'd been trained, like a medic.

"I've found some pretty good spots to hide first-aid supplies too, like all throughout the territory, so that we have what we need regardless of whether or not we're close to the dens. All of it together, including the time it'll take to harvest, won't be any longer than a week."

Hopefully days sooner, but he needed to be realistic - he hadn't even stepped paw inside of River's den since the other young man vanished. For all he knew, they were completely wiped out and he'd be scouring the whole Vale for the right flora.
(This post was last modified: Feb 13, 2022, 09:46 PM by Leviticus.)
Adelard Gerau
Adelard watched and listened as Levi told him that he would fix up the infirmary, stock it back up. That way, in case of emergency, the pack was prepared. If Adelard had been more attentive in months past, he might have realized just what Riven had been doing. In-between stolen moments and the occasional evening walk, Adelard had failed the blond. He knew that now. All that had been was infatuation. Wishful thinking. The two might as well have been strangers. Of course, Riven had a den somewhere.

Looking at the man before him, he saw as clear as day just how to proceed. If he could not be physically and mentally there for Riven, he would be for Levi.

"I've found some pretty good spots to hide first-aid supplies too, like all throughout the territory," the prospective Medic went on, "so that we have what we need regardless of whether or not we're close to the dens."

This made the Leader smile, pride swelling in his chest. Levi knew what he was doing, Adelard could see it. There was only one word he could say, "Perfect." But, he figured the tawny man would appreciate a little more. Affirmation, encouragement, whatever...

He stood up at full height with a shake of his pelt, another request at the ready, "Show me the den."
ADELARD GERAU
Inactive No Rank
Leviticus Armstead
Another simple but powerful word fell from his leader's maw - perfect. Levi's smile was evident now, appearing as creeping ivy might in the presence of light. His tail wagged, increasing it's pace as Adelard intended to join him. He might not have been passionate about his studies, but he'd still been attentive enough to feel confident in what he did know.

"Of course," he replied happily, inviting the other man onward with a sweep of his muzzle before setting off.

"There's a lot that'll still be good, even if it's older," he went on, talking almost conversationally now, "and even with as much as Winter kills there's still the most vital flora left, it'll get us through to Spring I'm sure of it..."

good to trail off here or continue, up to you! <3
(This post was last modified: Feb 13, 2022, 09:56 PM by Leviticus.)
Adelard Gerau
We can fade it here~ c: Whenever Levi is ready to show the 'finished' den(s), Adelard is ready to bestow an official title.

At long last, it seemed the prospective healer had eased up. Adelard watched with great interest and pride as he saw Levi for who he was. That true spark of character. The Leader saw now what good the shift in rank had done. Instead of Huddy and Riven, here they were...

"That's great," he encouraged, watching as Levi set off. A wordless invitation to follow and Adelard was right behind him. They wove through countless familiar trees, and yet Adelard felt as though he had never seen them. With Levi still babbling on here and there as a guide, the Leader was eager to see the possibilities of what was to come.

[Fade.]
ADELARD GERAU