(See All?) Announcements
630 Users Online
Bing, Google, Adora, Eros

a royal mess — Frog Chirp Creek 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Ghost who has 643 posts.
Dead Empress Backwater I. Leader
Viorel Valle
AW! This is Viorel's birthday prompt: Memories are heavy on your mind, especially of this last year. You can't help but spend time reliving both the good and the bad, for better or worse.
Mid-morning, ice crystals, -46C/-50F, extreme cold warning

It was so cold, so cold that the air seemed frozen around him, stiff and frigid. So cold that he should have been safe back at home in the den, with his wife and his kids and his pack, that’s where any smart wolf would have been. But, Viorel was finding himself a little haunted. It had been a few weeks of the memories giving him itchy paws, a restlessness deep in his soul that he could not seem to shake.

It had been a hell of a year. First dropped here with no memory of how it happened, sick as a dog so to speak, forming the Backwater, Clover, and then Vanadis, his family coming and then going, the turtle plague. It seemed like way too much to have happened in only a year and the thought of it all twisted his stomach in a sickening way. There was so much that he was thankful for, so many good things had happened, but he had lost so much.

His mother, his brother, his sister, his daughter - not lost but gone to visit her grandmother - and Walleye. They weren’t close but it was a reminder of what was coming for Grandma Katna. So he kept moving, kept moving to keep warm, kept moving to try to keep the ghosts at bay.

Played by Kai who has 286 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Sharlee Valle
Her hunting had taken her further from the pack that day. She wasn't looking for anything specific but with winter she knew it could be hard to find prey and that day seemed to be one of those days. The trails she'd followed had all run cold and now she'd found herself much further than she'd expected. Sharlee really hoped that she wouldn't have to return to the backwater without having succeeded. Maybe most of all she hoped that she didn't run into any bears or other creatures she couldn't take on herself.

She wasn't expecting to come across the scent of her cousin so far from home. She felt it had been awhile since they'd really had a chance to talk without anyone else around. So she abandon her hunt in search of Viorel. Her steps were quick in hopes that she might catch up with him. Thankfully it payed off when his figure came into view. [B)"Vi,"[/b] she called out. {B}"Wait up."[/b)
Viorel Valle

He had fallen almost into a trance, keeping moving and the ghosts of his missing family could not catch up to him. It took him a minute to realize that his advisor was calling after him, and once it clicked, he came to a sudden stop in the snow. Looking over his shoulder until Sharlee came into view, he gave her an unconvincing smile. He could usually keep it together for the pack, but not today.

Viorel had already been having these thoughts before, but the whole ordeal with Modesto had thrown everything into overdrive. He called out, ”Sorry Sharlee, I didn’t know you were following me,” he was silent for a beat or two before following up, ”A lot on my mind I guess.” He had told her everything after it happened, but they had not had enough time in the last week to truly catch up about it.

Which was probably why he just blurted out, ”I need to talk to you about Modesto.” It was a scary thought, since he knew how Vayko had reacted, and Modesto had basically raised both of them. He did not know how this was going to go.

[Image: s38i5ZS.png]
Inactive No Rank
Sharlee Valle
She had to run a little to catch up with Vi. He hadn't seemed to hear her calling out to him at first. It didn't bother the Valle woman. She could see that he didn't seem himself and she couldn't really blame him. Things hadn't really been easy for a long time now. Sharlee knew that and she knew what had happened between him. Vayko and Modesto. She still couldn't believe that her aunt was gone.

Thankfully he stopped when he finally realized she was behind him and had an apology ready when she did catch up. "Don't worry about it Vi, I know alots happened. It's a lot to think through." Sharlee should know she didn't know if she'd even been able to fully process it all. Maybe she was avoiding altogether, she didn't know and frankly she wasn't sure she wanted to find out.

Then he said he needed to speak to her about Modesto. Which in some ways surprised her but others it didn't. She imagined he wanted to know where her loyalties lied. With him or Modesto. She chose to let him lead this conversation. "What about her would you like to speak to me about?" She asked with a slight cant of her head.
Viorel Valle

Viorel appreciated that Sharlee dismissed his apology so quickly but all he could do was hum an acknowledgement. There was so much going on his mind that he was not sure how else to handle the situation other than jumping right into it. The leader met the tilt of his cousin’s head with a blink of confusion, it was not like her to beat around the bush like this. His stomach twisted for a moment in panic, they had already had one advisor coup this month and maybe he was a little overly paranoid there would be another.

But, that was a ridiculous thought. Letting out an anxious breath he answered, ”I wanted to tell you that I’m sorry, I know you and Vayko were close with Aunt Modesto. More than that I’m sorry I did not consult with you first.” That had been an issue last spring, and Viorel wanted her to know that history was not repeating itself, he had learned his lesson. His tail swished behind his legs nervously, ”It all happened so quickly, the things she was saying about my family, and about the Backwater were just so… unforgivable.” Not to mention, the things she had said about his potential father.

Looking away he growled slightly in frustration, ”I feel like everything we’ve worked so hard for is slipping. So many of our family members disappearing without a word and now my own aunt turning against me…” After everything he had done for everyone it felt like a bite to the snout.

Inactive No Rank
Sharlee Valle
Sharlee was admittedly a little worried about what Vi might have to say to her. He wanted to talk about what had happened between him and her aunt Modesto. Sharlee knew that her aunt was a big girl and could take care of herself. She also knew that Modesto had a way of making her voice heard. She remembered the first conversation they'd had after coming to this place. Still the Valle girl was cautious of where this might go, she was not unaware of her position in the pack. If Modesto could go she easily could as well. So she made the choice to let Vi lead the conversation.

He started by apologizing to her about Modesto going but most importantly he apologized for not consulting her. He also spoke of the things that her aunt had said about him and his family. Then lastly it was how he was feeling about the pack amd what was happening to it. The fact that so many of their family members were disappearing.

Through everything that he said she remained quiet amd didn't speak until she was sure he was finished. "I am close to Aunt Modesto," she stated, "But things are different for me here than they were at home Vi." She felt much more independent than she had in the past. While she'd never forget Modesto or the love she had for her aunt Sharlee was growing into her own woman. "You must know that I'm not angry with you. I understand your reasons for doing what you did. Maybe now looking back I see it may have been inevitable. I suppose I just didn't see things going like this. I also understand that what happened was in the heat of the moment and you didn't have the chance to speak with me."

The whole actuation was bad but now that Modesto was gone there wasn't much else that could be done. They just had to move on and part of that for Sharlee was making a decision. What was more important to her. She knew she wasn't angry with Vi, he did what he had to do as a leader and a father. [B)"Can I offer some advice?"[/b] She asked gently.

She then decided to address what he'd said about what they'd built there. "Vi, I know it's hard seeing members of our family go but if they've chosen to leave us that is their choice. We can gain more members, a wolf doesn't have to be of our blood to be a part of our family. So just because they are gone doesn't mean that what we have built here is ending. Those that have left we will miss them dearly and think of them often, they are family after all but we must think of what is best for the pack." It wouldn't do to dwell on those who were missing and miss the opportunity to bring others into the pack who might benefit it.
(This post was last modified: Jan 25, 2022, 04:38 PM by Sharlee.)
Viorel Valle

The leader appreciated that his advisor was so silent and attentive when he was speaking his piece but maybe it was his own fault; he could not do the same. As soon as she said the first sentence he blurted out, ”And I don’t want you to stop being close to her, or not have a relationship, or, you know, whatever you want to do. I just can’t trust her as a pack member, i hope you can understand that.” He had more he wanted to say, but he closed his lips firmly, making a pointed decision to let her continue.

His tail drooped, and yellow eyes focused on some place in the snow as he absorbed what she had to say about the pack. He knew what she was saying was true, they had to think what was best for the pack and the family they had now. But, it didn’t make the abandonments hurt any less. Then there was everything that Modesto had said.

Looking back up towards his cousin, the pain was clear in his expression, ”I want what is best for everyone. Especially for my kids, it just is not as black and white as I thought everything would be.” He trailed off, trying to think about what it was that he wanted to say, put words to the emotions he was feeling. Finally, he just whined a little before saying, ”I was mad, I still am, that my mother and my siblings left without a word. I was starting to question what you just said, what makes family, and Modesto she just… she called my children bastards, said my mom was a whore, straight out called the Backwater a swamp and said I could never lead an empire like what we had at home.” And then there was the other thing, but he was not sure he could share that yet.

He looked away again, ”Maybe I’m worried that she’s right, that I can never live up to our old home. I don’t want to let the pack down, I want my kids to have a good life, I want Vanadis to be happy. I want the Backwater to be something to be proud of.” He had been working so hard, and yet it all got thrown back in his face.

Played by Staff who has 4,812 posts.
You've come across an unattended nest full of eggs, do you like them scarmbled or fired? +5 Health
Inactive No Rank
Sharlee Valle
As she started to explained her position on what had happened with Modesto she didn't get very far. After stating that she was close to her Aunt Vi wanted to make sure that she knew he didn't want their relationship to change if she didn't. "Its okay Vi, I never thought you would want me to completely cut ties with her," she tried to reassure him. Sharlee didn't think that Vi was that type of wolf. "I do understand why she can't be in the pack, I really do," she added. Her cousin really seemed to need to know that she did understand. She was happy to give him that reassurance.

Sharlee'd had some time to think about things especially after speaking with her brother. She was angry with Modesto for the things she'd done and as much as she tried to hate her aunt she couldn't do it. Not when the woman had be there for her sad taught her so much. It was the pack that needed to be considered so Sharlee had accepted the Modesto wouldn't be coming back. She completely understood why and perhaps it should have been sooner. Modesto didn't agree with what they were trying to do and she feared the affects the woman's words might have had on Vayko as she whispered in his ear everything she felt. Sharlee had her own theories about what Modesto was doing and it didn't make her happy at all with the woman.

When Vi spoke again it was of what he wanted for everyone. It seemed that he now understood that being the leader of a pack wasn't very clear. Things were going to happen and he would have to make choices and sometimes those choices were going to hurt those he loved. "No Vi, it's not black and white. You're our leader and your going to have to make decisions that not everyone is going to like. As long as they are for the betterment of the pack and those in it then the others will learn to accept it." At least that was what she believed but in all honesty Sharlee thought that the only ones really affected by Vi's choice this time where her and Vayko.

When he went into the terrible things that Modesto said Sharlee wasn't surprised and part of her wondered if there wasn't a reason behind saying such horrible things about Vi's family. Sharlee also wondered if it was those things that had set in Viorel's mind that he was going to kick Modesto out. "I don't blame you for being angry at your mother and siblings. They left you here alone and for what, they missed home so badly? I liss home too, I'm sure you and Vayko do to but we're making this work. We've created a home here. What Modesto said was wrong and not true." At least most of it Sharlee wasn't so sure thar Modesto was wrong where it came to Sita. "Are we trying to have what we had at home? I thought we were trying to do something different here?"

Then her cousins insecurities about leading came out. Sharlee blamed Modesto for this too because had she not said anything Vi wouldn't be questioning himself now. "Ignore what she said Vi. We need to stop living in the past and move forward. You don't want to let the pack down, then don't. Who cares if the backwater is like the Estuary. Our goal should be to create a pack where the wolves in it are happy and the children are safe. One where we can aspire to be what we want to be and food is plentiful. Think about it has living here hurt your children in anyway because I can't see that it has." Sure Eros and Archer had gotten themselves in to plenty if situations but they would have done that anywhere. "The important thing to remember Vi is that your giving everyone the best quality of life." That said she moved closer and rubbed her cheek against his to comfort him.
(This post was last modified: Feb 04, 2022, 05:41 PM by Sharlee.)
Viorel Valle

The leader appreciated that Sharlee accepted his apology and really seemed to mean what she said. And, she said a lot. It took Viorel a minute or two to really process everything that his advisor had had to say. Normally he would rush into a response, quick with his words, but he really needed this time to think about it all. Finally he grinned, ”You know, it’s a good thing I picked you as my advisor, I can’t think of anyone else better for the job.” It was not like he had not kept her busy so far.

But, this was serious, and the lighthearted mood quickly faded as his expression grew stern. Viorel shifted on his paws, ”I’m not sure that you’re right though. I am not sure that Vayko will ever fully forgive me for removing her. Or that he will ever fully forgive himself for getting injured last spring, he thinks the pack doesn’t respect him anymore.” Which was untrue obviously, but Valles were stubborn creatures. It would take a lot more than just saying you were wrong to change their minds.

He looked back at his tawny cousin now, a glint of determination lighting in his yellow eyes, ”I want us to be better than the Estuary, new and not antiquated. I always felt they were strangled by traditions, but even you have to admit that they were really a force to be reckoned with.” Viorel wanted to get there, but was not sure how, if not only with time and perseverance. He faltered a little, ”She had one more thing to say, which… I have not been able to wrap my head around. She said that Platon is not my father, that Vasco is.” He halted, feeling a little sick in his throat. Had everything he had grown up knowing been a lie?