(See All?) Announcements
528 Users Online
Google, Bing

conversations over morning coffee — Willow Ridge 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Jacqueline who has 20 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Merrick
Exhausted from the evening's events, Merrick had unwittingly drifted off to sleep within the warm shelter of the den.

Avella had remained watchful by his side, not once affording him the opportunity to make a move without her expressed permission. The male had, begrudgingly, given up on trying to wait for her to fall asleep before him. So, he allowed himself to get comfortable within her home and took the opportunity to finally relax within the den chamber, christening the dark hollow with the sound of his gentle snoring until early the next morning...

Merrick stirred awake slowly, his ears twitching first, followed by his nose as he caught a whiff of the dead rabbit that was still laying on the sunlit floor nearby. Dark lashes blinked open and his bright orange eyes took a moment to survey his surroundings, glancing over to see that Avella was indeed still curled up somewhere near beside him. The large male snorted, impressed by the female's persistence, as he shifted his front limbs out to stretch, his dark claws raking slowly through the dirt as his muscles rippled beneath his thick russet fur as he released a loud exaggerated yawn.

Reaching across, Merrick grasped the dead rabbit between his teeth and place it down between his paws, before turning to acknowledge @Avella who he now presumed to be somewhat awake following his disturbance. "Sleep well?" He asked casually, before crunching down on the rabbit and nuzzling a dismembered portion of it towards her; a wordless invitation for the leader to join him for breakfast.
(This post was last modified: Apr 11, 2022, 04:36 PM by Merrick.)
Played by Kai who has 345 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Avella Archer
The storm had raged long into the night keeping her awake. It was the man beside her that kept her alert. As she watched over their visitor Avella's mismatched gaze had watched the rain fall heavily upon the ground. The flashes of lightening lit up the interior of the den for seconds at a time. Her thoughts however were in the future. Many times that night her muzzle had found its way to her belly as she thought of the tiny lives that grew inside her. The idea of them experiencing such a storm was upsetting for the new leader.

She'd fallen asleep sometime after the storm had died down though it wasn't quite dawn. She'd remained close to the man to that she would know when he stirred. It wasn't her customary place of rest but for the protection of her pack she didn't mind. She eyes didn't open until she felt his stirrings beside her. While he stretched she remained in her curled up position. It was a new day and the sun beaming into the den told of the passing of the storm. She watched the male with curious eyes.

He finally took the rabbit that she'd offered him the night before. "As well as can be expected," she answered his question. "The storm was pretty bad last night. I hope your fairing well after the hail?" She inquired as he pushed part of the rabbit toward her. She felt famished which she felt was due to having to feed more than just herself. [B)"Thank you,"[/b] she said before taking some of the rabbit into her mouth.

Later after they'd woken up a bit she thought they could get a little more to eat. She didn't particularly like the idea of sending him back out on his own without a full stomach. That was if he chose to leave after staying the night.
Inactive No Rank
Merrick
Merrick was pleased that the leader accepted his offer to share the rabbit between them (for he rarely shared). He hoped that his display of generosity would help Avella build up a favourable impression of him, or at least, better than the one she must have made when he first arrived at her home soaked to the bone and covered in mud.

"I am." He confirmed, hoping to put her worries to rest. "I am feeling much better, in fact. Well rested." He offered Avella a polite smile and a courteous dip of his chin before he looked down at his portion of the rabbit, a small frown etching into his brow as he considered how to approach his next question. "Though, do you mind if we take breakfast outside?" He paused, dark amber eyes studying her expression for signs of approval. "I could really do with stretching my legs." He shifted his weight about a bit, as if to emphasise the size of him compared to the cozy confines of the communal den.

"...and, I would like take a moment to finally introduce myself, now that I've cleaned myself up a bit." He added, a playful smile returning to his face as he rose expectantly off his stomach before remaining crouched within the den, giving the female the opportunity to lead the way should she wish to.
(This post was last modified: Apr 03, 2022, 09:46 AM by Merrick.)
Inactive No Rank
Avella Archer
Avella took note of the fact that he'd offered her some of the rabbit she'd given him. She was thankful for the snack as well due to the fact that her appetite had grown some recently. She kept this tidbit in the back of her mind for the time being. The Ridge leader pulled the rabbit toward her but before she could start to eat he answered her question.

She smiled, "I'm glad to hear you're doing much better. You must have been really tired. I don't think you woke up once." Avella had been watching him closely since he showed up at her borders. It didn't matter to her what he showed up looking like. What was important to her were the behaviors that would show her that he would be able to be trusted to follow her rules. Her ears perked at his question and she glanced outside the den for a moment. His add on and movement bringing her back to the conversation. "Yes, I think that will do nicely. Some fresh air would certainly do us both good."

She laughed a little, "The storm didn't really allow us to get to that part did it? How about we move outside and you can tell me a little about yourself." She was curious about hid name for one. The masked woman stood and picked her share of the rabbit up. With a short nod to the man she stepped out into the spring morning. Sporting what she thought would be a good place for them to talk she went there and dropped her breakfast. "This looks like a good spot," she stated sitting back on her haunches and waited for him to join her.
Inactive No Rank
Merrick
Merrick chuckled lightheartedly when the leader commented on how tired he must have been. "Travelling on my own has not afforded me much time to indulge in uninterrupted sleep." He explained, hinting that it had been many months since he had last slept soundly within the protected grounds of a pack's territory.

The large male offered Avella a genuine smile as she agreed to take their breakfast, and conversation, outside into the fresh morning air. Yesterday's storm had fortunately passed and made way for much clearer, sunnier skies. It was nice to feel the warmth of the sun on his back once more as he clambered awkwardly out from the dark den hollow (rabbit in his jaws) and into the clearing above. Immediately he bowed down into a stretch, enjoying the sensation of his muscles rippling beneath his fur, before he shook his pelt out thoroughly and followed along casually behind Avella.

Settling down adjacent to the female, he too dropped his portion of the rabbit and grasped it between his front paws in preparation to eat, but held off for the moment so that he could first formally introduce himself. "My name is Merrick. I've been travelling on my own for almost two years now, never really found somewhere worth settling, so I just kept on wandering." He gave his shoulders a casual shrug and glanced to the willow trees around them. There was no terribly, dramatic tale for him to tell. He was just a rogue, roaming the lands, surviving from one day to the next.

He took a bite out of the rabbit then, crunching it loudly between his molars before swallowing it down hungrily before his warm gaze focused back on the female. "You said last night that we'd need to have a conversation if I decided to stay here longer... So, let's have it." He proposed, a playful almost daring grin pulling at his charcoal lips then. He posed the leader with one simple question.

"Why should I stay, if not only to see you again?"
(This post was last modified: Apr 04, 2022, 05:06 PM by Merrick.)
Inactive No Rank
Avella Archer
The Ridge leader nodded along with his words of traveling and getting little rest. [B)"I do understand the trials of being on your own."[/b] She stated, "I'm glad that I was able to provide you a place that you could get the much needed rest." She hoped that might work in her favor. The willows was a quite safe place and she was rather proud of that fact.

Stepping out into the sun and rain fresh air was cleansing in a way. Though the storm the night before had been bad to wake up to such a morning was gift. Walking the short distance the the spot she'd picked out she could hear the birds of spring chirping happily all around them. It further served to put her in a better mood. The thoughts that had passed across her mind the precious night had dampened her spirits a little. She did well to keep that to herself however.

Her rabbit was placed upon the ground as she waited for the man to join her. Once he had she'd settled onto the cool ground to wait for his story to reveal itself. "Its a pleasure to meet you Merrick. Two years is a long time to be on your own. Has there been any particular reason that's kept you from finding something a little more permanent?" Thks was an important question for Avella. While she waited she took a bite from her breakfast and began to eat.

Her hopes were realized when he wanted to have the conversation that she'd said they'd need to have. Her smile widened at his last words. "I see we fancy ourselves a charmer," she said with a slight giggle. "That is a very good reason to stay indeed. The way I see it Willow Ridge is a good pack. The members are all good wolves. We are a growing pack and in the coming months your skills will be put to good use. Not to mention you can get a good night's sleep everynight." That last part was a little joke from their earlier conversation.
Inactive No Rank
Merrick
"Your are indeed very generous, Lady Avella." He dipped her head to her, a rare show of chivalry from the usually blunt, insensitive male.

Once introduced, he had been asked what had kept him from joining a pack in the seasons since passed. Merrick did not have a single, one answer. It had indeed been many things that has dissuaded the male from cohabiting with his own kind. He contemplated his answer for a few moments, silence hanging in the air between them, as his dark amber eyes floated down to the ground in careful consideration of his answer. "A few..." He admitted, releasing a long breath. "Namely the lack of opportunity for progression, for advancing within the ranks. Any wolf can provide their skills or services to a pack, but I've noticed far too few are rewarded for their efforts and their loyalty."

Merrick left it there, not wanting to divulge much more in case he should cause the leader offense. He was, after all, trying to keep on her good side.

The large male smirked at Avella's comment, pleased that she took his flirtatious remark in good humour.

Russet ears pricked up to listen carefully to what the female had to say as she described her pack, attempting to give him good reason to stay. The male's body stiffened slightly, a little uncomfortable, despite Avella's jest at the end. The pack and its wolves were good, and he could be put to good use—but what about him?

"I want a title. Scout would be most fitting. And I want your assurance that I will be permitted to rise up the ranks, to claim a position which rightly reflects my ability, not my nobility." Merrick was determined that if he should join the willow wolves, it would be under circumstances which benefited them both.

He met Avella's bi-coloured gaze, his own fiery eyes flickering with a silent confidence and determination.

"Those are my conditions. Do we have a deal?"
(This post was last modified: Apr 04, 2022, 08:57 PM by Merrick.)
Inactive No Rank
Avella Archer
"Thank you! I'm just happy I was able to get you out of that storm." She didn't want to think of what could've happened had she not been there. Avella was happy to provide shelter and a little food to those who needed it. That was as long as they didn't take advantage. She knew that some might stay and others would go when they were ready. That was fine with her, it was the reason she had the rules she had. If she could be a small part of helping them along their journey then she felt she was doing her part. She took another bite of her breakfast as he explained why he hadn't found a place to settle yet. "So you're looking for a place where you can grow?" She asked wanting to make sure she understood him. "And you would also like to be recognized for your accomplishments?"

Avella narrowed her eyes at the man for a moment. She didn't feel there was anything wrong with wanting to advance among the ranks. The best wolf for the position should get that position. However, rewards were a different matter entirely. "Understand this," she stated looking square in the eye. "I don't encourage fighting amongst my subordinates. However, I am not against ascension up the ranks. Should you choose to challenge up it will be done in a fair manner." She felt it necessary to make that clear because to do so unfairly would result in consequences.

Avella was quickly learning that this man was a to the point kind of guy. He also seemed to think he could make demands and they be given. That was not how things worked in her pack. Last time she checked she was the alpha and she made the decisions. She set her gaze upon him once more. She waited until he was done before she spoke.

"I'm afraid its not all so simple. I have heard your demands now I have some of my own. I will require your honesty and loyalty. You do not steal from the pack and you do not leave without speaking to me. Trust comes later. Titles in this pack are earned. You do the work and I will he happy to bestow that title upon you. Now I must ask how would you want me to assist you in achieving your goals?"
Inactive No Rank
Merrick
"Exactly." Merrick replied, his voice entirely serious. The large male gave a small sway of his tail against the sunlit ground, pleased and relieved that the leader had understood what he sought within a pack and why he had hesitated in associating with one up until now. He had half expected her to chase him out there and then for expressing his frustration and bestowing on her his ideals, though it seemed that she did not disagree or find offense with his opinions.

However, Avella did feel the need to make him aware of her own rules and expectations regarding her pack hierarchy and ascending up its ranks. "I understand. I would not wish to cause disharmony within the pack." Merrick assured her.

Merrick took a risk in expression exactly what he wanted, but he found being blunt tended to be the better option. It was better to say exactly what he thought than leave his desires and frustrations to fester unnoticed. Nothing good would come from not asking. Avella had stated that she was fine with him wishing to climb the ranks and make something of himself, though simply handing him a title was a step too far. Apparently he was over eager. If he wanted to achieve the title of Scout he would need to be patient and prove his loyalty and skill to her.

Although disappointing, it made sense. Merrick supposed it would not be so easy to get what he wanted. He would indeed have to work for it. The large male nodded along as Avella listed her rules and expectation, explaining to him how things would be done under her rule. He could not argue, it was her right to run the pack as she pleased. One day he hoped to do the same. "If you give me a task, a way to prove myself, I will gladly do it." He explained, his deep amber eyes meeting her bi-coloured gaze.

It felt strange to agree to do as the leader asked of him, after so long doing as he pleased, but it seemed it would the only way to get what he desired. At least, until another opportunity presented itself.
(This post was last modified: Apr 07, 2022, 02:08 PM by Merrick.)
Inactive No Rank
Avella Archer
It seemed she understood matters quite perfectly. When she asked her questions to understand his reasons better. This was an important matter to understand because it was what would help her to keep wolves in her pack. Avella knew she had to understand each and everyone of them. Their wants and what would help to motivate them. Then she needed to accommodate as much as she was capable of doing. "It all seems reasonable. A wolf can't be expected to stagnate and be happy about it." Some wolves were okay holding the same rank year after year only doing what was necessary but others not so much.

She did however make it very clear about how things should be done in her pack. How whatever he did would be done in fairness or it wouldn't be done at all. He seemed to comply with those sentiments. "I am glad that we are on the same page. I've worked hard to create a peaceful place for wolves to come. I don't want it spoiled."

Avella might be an Archer but she wasn't handed the pack that was now hers. It was the hard work of both her and Scully that had gotten them this far. She knew that her brother hadn't been too keen on the idea in the first place and so she couldn't let his sacrifices and hard work go to waste. Merrick had gone on to explain about his role which she couldn't just hand over to him. Like everyone else he would have to work for that role. It was all done in fairness. She couldn't do for one what she wouldn't do for the others.

Thankfully he seemed to understand and was willing to work for his role. Avella smiled at his words. "I actually have a task for you right now. Understand it's not the only task I have as I'm sure plenty more will come up in time. For now Willow Ridge needs a medic are you willing to find one? I do understand that it might take some time. I ask that you check in with me as much as you can and let me know where you are heading. Its for your safety." She presented this to him and let him think it over for a moment.

"If you are agreeable to my terms and I am yours then welcome to Willow Ridge." She felt it necessary to formerly welcome him to the pack. His work could be really helpful and she hoped he'd be one to stay a good long while.