(See All?) Announcements
361 Users Online
Bing

He who hesitates is lost — Pastel Highlands 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Winter who has 26 posts.
Inactive VI. Subordinate
Reade Quinlan
So he was really here, finally! Or practically so, close enough to stop chasing the horizon. Reade's gaze followed Clouse's gesture toward the distant mountain, a dark shape against the sky's bright canvas of stars. He let out a breath.

"Thank you," he hummed. Flexing his toes, Reade could not help but grin. He felt like tossing his head back and yelling at the sky, not in curse but in celebration. Certainly Clouse of all souls would not judge him for that! It was his own sense of propriety that just managed to keep him from doing so. He could thank the stars later, properly.

The two stood for another beat, and Reade wondered for a moment if it was time for farewells. But then Close kept on with the small talk and Reade gave another smile, a roll of his shoulders. He was here, he could afford to stop and chat. To make connections, even. After so long travelling, it felt new and strange to stand still even momentarily. Strange, but good.

"Our elders spoke of good hunting and varied terrain with room for many packs, though the mountain and those who lived there always seemed rather infamous. I'm still eager to explore it," he answered. Back home, they were close-knit, but there was not always enough freedom for all to truly thrive. Not that Reade was exactly thriving on his own but, he was here now. "Are you from here yourself?" he inquired, curious to know more of this Clouse.
Played by Cade who has 144 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Clouse Charity Archer
No details, just a general picture. The difference between having blood born and raised here versus not, he supposed. His head nodded along, remembering all the stories of infighting that likely had helped to build that infamous image even if most of his family had stayed in the forests below the mountains rather than atop. Reade would likely get the excitement he looked for out there in that expanse.

"No, but my mom was along with a lot of my dad's relatives. And if there's one thing Archer's like to do, it's brag."

At least, that's what it had felt like to Clouse. Snobbery, coat-tailing, entitlement. Whether or not he was right to use these words, one thing was certain: he had never fit in, and a piece of him resented it. Negativity wasn't something he exuded, though, instead continuing to smile and wag his tail as though he were describing beloved but imbecilic younger siblings.

"I don't mean to keep you," but it would be welcomed if Reade wanted to stay. Still, Clouse understood being excited to move on and certainly wouldn't fault the other if he wanted to start his exploration now, without a chatterbox in his ear.

"Nights like these are just always better with company, in my opinion."
Played by Winter who has 26 posts.
Inactive VI. Subordinate
Reade Quinlan
Not from here himself then, but returning a generation down the line so it seemed. Much more recent than any Quinlan kin had been here. Archer, hmmm, he thought the name seemed fitting for the dark man, though his warm and casual nature belied any claims to prestige. The fellow was easy to get along with, rather than pretentious and aloof and Reade, proper as he might be, found it quite disarming.

"No, I don't mind at all," Reade admitted with an easy smile. "In fact I agree," He was warming up to Clouse quickly, besides, his journey was finally at an end. And a new beginning. It was fortuitous to have found a friendly face to share the occasion with.

With the ice well-broken between them, Reade felt alright about asking his next question. "But would you mind if we chatted while trying to find something to eat? It has been a few days," he laughed, but the gnawing feeling in his gut was less of a laughing matter if he did not act soon. The road had been very long. With luck, Clouse might know somewhere to start, and not be ungenerous about sharing a meal. And two made for better hunting than one alone.
Played by Cade who has 144 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Clouse Charity Archer
Clouse's tail waved in wider arcs as Reade voiced his welcome, and he nodded once again at the mention of food. He wouldn't mind a bit of topping off either, and he motioned with his muzzle for his new acquaintance to follow him.

"Absolutely."

Dinner with chitchat, what a wonderful way to spend an evening under stars!