(See All?) Announcements
376 Users Online
Bing, Google, Adelard, Eros, Apollo

watch me get burned alive — Dead Empress Backwater 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Ghost who has 613 posts.
Dead Empress Backwater I. Leader
Viorel Valle
Private thread for @Clover and @Vasco also tagging @Sharlee but just for thoughts.
Afternoon, Overcast, 15F/-9C

Fall was barely keeping winter at bay at this point, sometimes temperatures would get warm enough to melt the little amounts of snow that would fall, but it didn’t last long. Today an inch or so of the precipitation lined the ground, and though it was afternoon it was still well before freezing. It was this realization that they were facing winter right in it’s daunting face that made the leader finally admit to himself that he needed help. Another of his children were leaving, and taking an additional yearling with them, going out searching for his mate and cousin who should have been back by now.

This morning Viorel had woken up with the thought burned into his brain, he couldn’t keep waiting. He couldn’t keep struggling to keep everything together by himself and leading the pack on his own. Hopefully Vanadis and Vayko, and now Eros and Seri, would come back, but maybe they wouldn’t. He couldn’t keep taking the risk and wearing himself out on blind hope alone.He probably should have spoken with Sharlee about this decision, but he was worried she would talk him out of it.

The dark pelted Valle man had been pleasantly surprised to find a godwit, apparently stupid from the cold that had been left behind by it’s flock. With the advantage on the wolf’s side the kill had been quick and easy, and the small bird sat at his paws now as Viorel lifted his muzzle and called for his seconds to come and join him at the meeting grounds. The water stood beside him, partially frozen at the edges, and the broken boughs littered the area had icicles clinging to their side. It was a cold day for such a big change.

Played by Melorama who has 386 posts.
Dead Empress Backwater III. Medic
Clover Assana
Winter was almost upon them and yet Vayko and Vanadis hadn't returned. She was beginning to get worried if they would ever make it back, her thoughts immediately going to the worst possible outcomes. It would be amiss to say she didn't miss them, especially Vayko, and now that the snow was starting to fall from the sky she would have very little to occupy her mind to stop thinking about the hole his vacancy had left in her heart.

Clover wasted no time in heeding Viorel's call, not just for her but also Vasco, lips thinning into a tight line at the thought that something was wrong if he wanted both of them. Upon arrival she saw a now dead bird at his paws, but she was mostly focused on the man himself. She was unable to tell what was going on by his facial expression alone.

She moved forward to greet him with a soft brush of her shoulder against his, a warm smile on her face. "I hope you've been well today," Clover said as she stepped back to take a seat, allowing plenty of room for Vasco to join them when he arrived.
Played by PuppyThief who has 110 posts.
Lone Wolf No Rank
Vasco Halex

The backwater was starting to freeze over. Winter had announced its approach with the first snow, and a sudden cold spell, sending the forest critters rushing to their hibernation dens. And in the midst of it all were the remaining pack wolves, struggling to prepare for the season.

At the same time last year, Vasco had still been rehabilitating, slowly taking steps towards regaining his full strength, both physically and mentally – he’d been a burden to the backwater rather than an asset. But this time around, he would do his part, and more if possible. His son’s growing stress had not passed over the father’s head either, and he was eager to relieve it as much as possible. The pressure had only been growing since the initial blow of both his co-leader and wife leaving, and now that it looked like winter might come before their return, everything looked even more bleak; Not to mention Eros and Seri’s sudden, unexpected departure.

Suffice to say, that the Halex might have an inkling of what was in store when he hurried to answer his leader’s beckon, though he refused to speculate. As he arrived, Clover was just making her greeting, and Vasco offered a smile of his own, nodding to both of the younger wolves before taking a seat at her side. From there he eyed Viorel’s catch with approval – remembering how he and his siblings had chased similar birds in their childhood along the coast, with much less success. “Good catch,” he hummed now, proud of what his son had become, and hoping he himself could live up to the expectations the leader was about to place on his shoulders.

Thoughts ”Speech”

Viorel Valle

The leader did not have to wait very long before he was joined by both of the wolves that he had called for. He leaned into Clover’s touch with affection and for a moment he was brought back to the spring they had all arrived. He felt just as unsure now as he had then, and it felt so nice to have the woman beside him now, always a constant. His father was greeted with a smile at his compliment, ”I think it was surprised to be in the cold, we both know I’m not fast enough to catch one in its prime.” His tone was teasing, but it was the truth, he was built for strength not for speed.

Shifting on his paws, a dead give away that Viorel was not comfortable with what was happening. But, he knew it needed to happen. Sighing, his tone was tired when he spoke, ”I can’t keep leading alone, I need help.” That was the awkward part, and he was a little more lively as he continued, ”I love and trust both of you very much, and as my seconds you have both more than proven yourselves. I would be happy to have either of you lead by my side, and because of that, I am leaving it up to the two of you to decide.” Then realizing that they may not be able to work this out verbally he finished with, ”If you are unable to decide, it will have to come down to a classic spar.” That may give Vasco the advantage of experience, but Clover had youth and health on her side.

Viorel stopped then, silent, and waiting for whatever was to come next.

[Image: s38i5ZS.png]
Clover Assana
Vasco appeared beside her mere moments after her own arrival, and she gave the man a brief but warm smile to acknowledge his presence. Her attention quickly returned to Viorel, unable to miss the seemingly uneasy posture. Usually he put on a show of confidence, and it had her worried. Just a little bit.

Her ears pricked forward at the admission of needing help. Clover knew leading alone since Vayko left would have been so very hard, so she was not exactly surprised that he was now asking for one of them to step up into a job of more responsibilities. She blinked owlishly as Viorel continued, a little surprised that he was leaving the decision up to her and Vasco rather than simply choosing one of them himself. But his reasoning for it was sound, and she couldn't disagree with it. "Thank you for trusting both of us with this opportunity Vi."

Clover turned to look at Vasco, lips turning up in another smile. "Sparring isn't really my thing, so I would much prefer to talk this one out, if you agree?" Leading a pack required more than just brute force in her opinion, and she would feel better about the decision if they could discuss it rather than relying on their physicality. But they were both on the smaller end of size, so it wasn't as if either of them would have an advantage.
Lone Wolf No Rank
Vasco Halex

Vasco chuckled at his son’s reply, humored by the idea of the now well grown man chasing birds as he had in his childhood. He considered making a joke about said puppyhood escapades, but refrained, assuming Viorel had called them for a specific reason, not just to reminisce.

His nervous shift proved as much, Vasco’s brow wrinkling at this unusual sign of vulnerability. Much like his companion, the older male was worried, knowing that his son rarely let his emotions show, always wanting to appear strong and capable. In the past, when Viorel had opened up to him, it had been in private, and always brief, this was entirely different. But he didn’t make them wait long before revealing his predicament, nor did he mince words – he was asking for help.

It would be fair to say that Vasco was a bit stunned, by Viorel admitting his struggles yes, but also that he was asking them, him for help. Despite having been in the backwater for well over a year, there was still part of him that felt weighed by the same inadequacy as he had on the coast, and hearing Viorel’s words of praise touched him deeply – he wanted to be worthy of that respect. The last addition though, did bring a half smile to his lips, accompanied by a small huff; Now that’s more like him…!

Clover responded quickly, her simple thanks not revealing any of her feelings, though the Halex suspected some were similar to his own. As their eyes met and she continued, as much was clear, and the older man huffed again, feeling a hint of relief. “Yes indeed, we are civilized adults, I’m sure we can come to an agreement,” he nodded, glancing pointedly at his son. But his gaze soon grew soft; “Thank you Viorel, it’s been a true joy to serve you and your pack, and I’ll continue to do so gladly.” A pause, as he held his leader’s gaze, then he sighed a little, looking back at Clover with a warm smile; “But I believe you would be the wiser choice, dear. You’ve stood by Viorel since the beginning and shown your skills both with your brood and acting as our healer. It’s only right that you should step up and I’ve no qualms about remaining below you.” It was the honest truth. Vasco enjoyed being valued in his high position, but the thought of leading was daunting beyond his ambition and besides, it was much more fitting for Viorel to be joined by someone closer to his own age, someone he shared a close, non-familial bond with; The pack could use a woman’s touch… This last thought he kept to himself though, not wanting to be disrespectful to Viorel’s lost mate and poke at a wound that was still too fresh.

Thoughts ”Speech”

Viorel Valle
Quick post from Vi, leaving it open for Clover. If there is no argument I will fade out in my next post.

The childish part of Viorel was admittedly a little disappointed that there would be no spar to observe. At the teasing he dramatically rolled his eyes and sighed deeply ”well I guess I will be forced to continue to be the brawn of the Backwater then.” But, who would stand beside him to be the brain, or perhaps in Clover’s case, the beauty? He would stay out of it and let them decide, that is what he had gathered them here for afterall.

He nodded at Vasco’s words before turning his gaze silently to Clover, how would she respond to him? Accept what he had to say? Try to convince his father he was also worthy? Could this all be this all be so easy? Surely not, after two years of difficulty he was not expecting for this to be smooth. Though maybe that was exactly why he was here with his father and Clover. Maybe this was the turning point for the pack.

Clover Assana
She was glad Vasco agreed to talk it out; it seemed he had the same idea as her. He went and thanked Viorel just as she had, and Clover waited patiently for him to begin the discussion of which of them should step up, but his next words left her stunned. Her mouth dropped open in a small 'o' shape. His words meant a lot to her, regardless of if he was her own father or not, but she had not expected him to concede just like that.

Clover glanced at Viorel when he piped up, a soft huff of a laugh escaping through her lips. He was very good at alleviating any tension, though she did see him more than just the 'brawn' as he put it. The man had some brains somewhere in his skull.

It took her a few moments to properly recover from Vasco's words, brows lifting slightly in surprise as she turned to him with a thankful look. "Only if you're sure; thank you for your kinds words Vasco." She knew it would be a step up in responsibilities, but with Vasco there to help them out she was sure everything would run smoothly. "I would like to have you as a sort of advisor. I'm sure there will come a time where I will need your expertise on something." That was her compromise if he was sure he wanted to remain at his current position, and she was sure Viorel would have no issue with that considering he had Sharlee as his own advisor.
Lone Wolf No Rank
Vasco Halex

Clover was obviously shocked by his words, having apparently expected him to pitch his own leadership skills; Why bother? He was simply moving the process along, getting them to the obvious conclusion quickly; unless she doesn’t think so…? Could Clover be sharing his same reservations about leadership, or did she have another reason to hesitate?

His pondering was interrupted by Viorel’s theatrics, which earned the young leader another look from his father; this time with one brow raised. Yes, it would do him very good to have some brains by his side, to balance his more immature impulses, and a more level-headed sounding board than Vayko had been.

As Clover chuckled, Vasco’s gaze returned to her, softening; And someone kinder to him than his father would be…! He’d always thought the two made a good match. And as she consented, if a little hesitantly, the older man smiled, nodding his head – she was the better choice. Her addition however, was a surprising compromise, one he had not even considered. But wasn’t it the perfect solution? As advisor he could have the influence he craved, without the pressure of leadership. A chance to sway not only his son, but his fellow leader as well; Oh yes. The perfect solution indeed.

Bowing his head humbly, Vasco answered in a solemn voice: “I’d be honored.” Then he smiled again, looking back up at his new leader; “Consider me at your beck and call.” He’d be more than happy to advise her on anything.

Thoughts ”Speech”

Viorel Valle

The leader, now co-leader, was pleased with the outcome of this meeting, and especially how smooth all of this had been. Not only that, but his own father would also have a role in everything which was important to him as well. Only time would tell how this would work out in the long run but for now this was absolutely the best case scenario and he would rest easy. Bowing his head deeply in respect towards Clover, he looked back over her with a glint of pride in his eyes. How far they had all come.

He grinned at Vasco too, ”Well, I guess that works that out then.” Viorel didn’t waste any time lifting his head to the sky and singing a song of celebration and announcement. The Backwater would no longer have a solo leader, Clover had ascended in the ranks and should be respected as such.

FADE