627 Users Online
Google, Bing

protect the seed that longs to grow to a garden — Drooping Willows 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Grey who has 512 posts.
Inactive Deceased
Borden Lyall
<blockquote><i>March 25th; Early morning after sunrise; Cold and cloudy.</i>

Along the edges of Whisper Marsh Borden Lyall sauntered through the tall grasses and the trunks of towering trees. Between his aching back and sore shoulders finding a comfortable position to rest was practically impossible. It seemed as if only the slow movements of placing one paw in front of the other offered any comfort at all. Driving himself to perform his best during the hunt had been absolutely worth it though; his belly, as well as everyone else's, was full at least for now. A majority of their kill had been stowed away for safekeeping but knowing that their caches were stocked did not keep the male from checking up on what was left of their quarry. He had also requested Arlette to meet up with him this morning to help find additional places to store extra findings if there was anything left of the caribou.

The bridge of his nose twitched as the smell of old blood and the soft cooing of birds eventually reached his senses. He hadn't expected it to be this close considering that he had taken a different route through the forest to reach his destination. In case the ivory youth happened to be nearby, he let out a string of three soft, beckoning barks to alert her to his location. He moved to his left then stepped back where he had stood only moments before; today would not only be a day for teaching, but story-telling as well. Arlette would soon be a yearling (a fact that had slowly frayed his nerves with worry) and with Hocus and Trisden seemingly avoiding the pack, perhaps she, too, would develop a sense of wanderlust. He just hoped the few hours or so they had together would count; he had promised Jaysyek that he would talk to her, and there were quite a few things he wanted to say before everything in mind became too little, too late.</blockquote>
(This post was last modified: Apr 18, 2012, 07:52 PM by Borden.)
Played by Switch who has 207 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Arlette Dieudonné Lyall
<i>do you care if it's on the 25th after the hunt to keep the Alex timeline in good sense?</i>

scatter the sunshine all along your way.

The morning was not a pleasant one, much like yesterday. The clouds were as cold as the winds that carved them, and she had wanted to stay in the den soft and warm. Today she was going to learn how to help the pack, and when she remembered she perked up. She flashed a smile, and rose to a stand working her way out of the den while she recalled Borden's instructions. She could not get to the Drooping Willows fast enough.

She did try to watch her paws, and keep her body from getting ahead of her. She loved letting her paws stretch, touching a top the soft ground. The weather would not dampen her spirits. She had work to do. The eager young lady put her nose to the ground, and soon was following Borden's scent to the remains of the kill. What she hoped would be remains. The twittering of birds had her worried not much would be left of the dead caribou, and then what were they suppose to do? A frown threatned to work it's way to the surface, but she shook her head pumping her legs further. Surely, they would find something. She thought her father liked to keep busy, and there was always something to learn. The only troubled thoughts she was having was Hocus, and Trisden. They seemed to have done a vanishing act again, and she was both lonesome and worried. A very silent whine rose in her throat, the tips of her ears casting down. Why did they keep going? She would not understand, not today.

Then what should she hear, but the beckoning barks of her teacher today. With a wiggly tail she found the Keeper of Grizzly Hollow."Morning," she beamed, walking now to close the distance between them. She would not see how tired nor sore he was she bobbed her nose to his creamy chin, sitting down for his instruction. What now?

(This post was last modified: Apr 13, 2012, 04:07 AM by Arlette.)
[Image: oaktreebend.png]
Inactive Deceased
Borden Lyall
<blockquote>It wasn't long until Arlette found him and Borden simply beamed back at her in greeting when she respectfully touched her snout to his chin. <b>"Morning."</b> He watched as she briefly sat down. <b>"This way,"</b> he smiled, giving her a brief nod. <b>"The remains, if there are any, ought to be just over here."</b> Borden stepped over into the tall grasses, pacing through it until he stumbled upon the sight of a murder of crows.

Eight pairs of black, beady eyes darted to his dark figure upon his approach. Four harsh caws sounded out as if to scold him for interrupting their meal but the Lyall merely stepped forward with a snap of his jowls and a loud snarl. The carcass, he discovered, had been visited not just by these black feathery rats with wings, but other carnivores as well. There wasn't much left to stash away for a rainy day; but, any bone that wasn't cleanly stripped of flesh was better than nothing. With the caches running low - due to his lack of dedication to the newly established niche and his being mindful of Jaysyek's health (as in, anything that was caught fresh was delivered immediately to her) - nothing from the pack's previous hunt ought to go to waste. As the crows took flight, some landing several meters away as others took to the treetops to watch, Borden glanced back at Arlette then surveyed the caribou before them.

Slowly and carefully he moved over to the hoofed beast's shoulder or… at least, what remained of it. Then, after placing both his forepaws on the caribou's spine, managed to roll it over with a few grim snaps and a rustle of grass blades. <b>"Ah, here,"</b> he grinned, eyeing a section of the remaining shoulder blade that had been left untouched. <b>"Let's see if we can get that separated for ya…"</b> His eyes raked over the skeletal remains again before deciding that the morsel would suffice for the simple lesson in finding a suitable location for caching.</blockquote>
Inactive No Rank
Arlette Dieudonné Lyall
    the suns going to shine, and sometimes the clouds will rain.

A brief moment of puzzlement overcame her face, but she rose following beside him through the concealing entanglement. The sight of a dark wave she hunched back, defensively. She was quite larger than them, she didn't care for their squawking. Really she'd never come back to a kill to know what they might do. Upon Borden's move her fear was erased by his snarl, and she raised her own lips keeping pace with him. She keeps her yellow eyes to their wings spreading, and making rise above. She controls the impulse not to duck for cover, and shakes her head maintaining the visual -the caribou.

They looked nothing like how they left them, nothing like the creatures they were. She takes in the sight, more calmly now that the crows are gone. Eyes direct to Borden. He was likely use to this, and maybe he'd been here before. This time collecting her to teach her how to be a Keeper. This was enough her shoulder's relax, and her tail sweeps in a huge arc coming to stand by the shoulder of the remains too. She does not see what he sees for awhile, all she see's is the bones yet to be stolen. Carefully, when he moves she takes a step back just in case. She watches with deep interest, there she sees the prize too. The hidden meat, one last ort to take home.

"Alright," she sounds much more cheerful, much more herself. Doing something useful always puts her in a good spirit, and keeps her mind off things. "Do you want me to pull try pulling it?" She asks, while returning to her first spot.

Inactive Deceased
Borden Lyall
<i>Quick lil' thing, kinda wanna pick up the pace a lil' before 'story-telling' tiemz. 8)</i>

<blockquote>He gave the girl a genial smile then, after steadying a muddied paw over the corpse's torso, replied, <b>"Sure, let's see what strength you've got in your jaws there."</b> He was careful to assess the expressions on her face, appearing simply encouraging at first then more upbeat after he picked up on her uplifted state of mind. <b>"Shouldn't be too hard, but after we've got it, we'll head back into the grove and find a decent spot to store it away where birds and other scavengers won't easily get to it."</b>

Borden glanced up toward the trees, easily seen above the grasses and reeds. When another harsh caw sounded out, he was quick to eye the ogling crows. He shot them another glare, especially the ones who had not even bothered to keep their distance. As soon as he and Arlette had their pick they would be on their way and he was certain they could continue their little party as though nothing had ever happened.</blockquote>
(This post was last modified: May 02, 2012, 11:52 PM by Borden.)
Inactive No Rank
Arlette Dieudonné Lyall
exactly what i wanted to do. :)

"Okay,"she emits. She studies the piece for a small moment, moving herself closer. It shouldn't be a huge problem. Her father easily settled this in her mind. Unclamping her jaws, she stretched them wide were the flesh still hung. Then she began to jerk, and tug the scrap with all her might. It took a couple good pulls, but she managed to budge most of it free. She swiftly nodded, ready to go stow it away. She was more than happy to hide it away from the dark winged things. She may have had a friend in one bird, she did not trust the rest.

She snuffs slightly, her body tense with the piece of meat. She did not want to become a target with such a large morsel in her mouth. Nervously her eyes flicker to Borden, and the crows who were sticking near. Please don't. She thinks, trying to send the message. Really she had no means to fear, but couldn't help question her luck on the matter. She quickly takes refuge beside Borden following his every move to find a place to store it.

Inactive Deceased
Borden Lyall
<blockquote>He steadied the sun-bleached ribcage with a forelimb as the girl began to showcase her gumption, her ability and strength. It had taken a few pulls to wrench her prize free but once the slab of flesh had peeled away with a final tug, Arlette glanced up at him. He met her gaze but it took a few seconds before her fear or nervousness registered. His tail stopped in mid-sway and the fur along his neck and shoulders bristled. A growl bubbled at the back of his throat and he cast one last scowl at the few onlookers as the girl joined his side. There was no need to startle them or drive them away now. They were just leaving. As soon as they departed from the scene, their dark, little banquet could resume. Whatever Arlette had left on the rotted side of the fallen beast, they could have without question. Surely they only ogled to make sure the duo had left more than a little something for them to pick and comb over with their sharp, inky beaks.

A few minutes' walk back seemed to pass by in seconds and within moments he was able to eye the entrance point he was looking for. Passing a boulder that was just recently surveyed by one of the pack, he led Arlette over the strongly scented borders of their territory. He smiled to the apprentice at his heels, attempting to embolden her once more. Gone was the irked display he had built up for the ill-mannered birds. <b>"How 'bout we find a good place for that somewhere... over there?"</b> He pointed to a pair of towering white firs that had grown rather close to one another before walking towards them. His eyes surveyed the narrow clearing before them, his mind settling on the nooks between the tree roots and the shallow depressions underneath the bed of pine needles. Certain that Arlette would choose a befitting place for a new cache, he slowly sat down to let her mind work out the best spot.</blockquote>
Inactive No Rank
Arlette Dieudonné Lyall

Leaving the grounds she cast one last look behind her shoulders at the hungry birds. If it weren't for their constant cawing, and how desperately they wanted food she might not have been bothered by them. She hung close to Borden, her head low as if to hide what they took away from their dark eyes. It was better to be safe then sorry. When they entered the familiar of the forest she breathed deep the scent of the cedar, and felt the relief of making it to home safety take hold of her.

Her pale yellow eyes take in the scenery. She had walked by this spot quite a lot, since Borden had lead her here she was looking at it a different way. Almost seeing it for the first time. She bobbed her head at his direction, and trotted to the place. She dropped the kill to the side, and studied the roots for a quiet minute. It was a good spot, secluded, which brought a question to her mind. "Is it best to keep some caches a secret?" She asked keeping her voice soft, and her eyes trained to the ground. The question had been nagging at the back of her skull for some time. Lately all the caches seemed empty quite frequently, and she wondered if it was because of the new members. Everyone had to eat, but she hated how no one gave effort to fill them. The young wolf had work to do, and it was best to get started. Deciding to go to the spot behind the tree she carefully directed her paws out of the tangle of roots. She briefly eyed Borden, and then her place. It would be away from all sorts of eyes, and noses. She tested the earth with her claws, and then began digging her cache.

Inactive Deceased
Borden Lyall
<i>edit; haaaa.... this post... was so timely. "Happy Birthday, Arlette." <3</i>

<blockquote>His pale gaze observed her as Arlette went to work, studying the tree roots after dropping the chunk of muscle to one side. Her question fluttered through the air and he sought her gaze. But she kept her eyes downward. <b>"Some, yes,"</b> he answered slowly. <b>"Some day there might be a time when the leaders of a pack might not let you eat until the rest of the pack has eaten... and sometimes you might just want a snack when no one is watching and you don't want to share."</b> Another smile tickled his features then watched as she began to dig.

Borden's mind raced as he struggled to place his words. There was no time left to <span class='word'>prorogue</span> bestowing the information any longer. Now was the time. <b>"Arlette, I asked you to meet me this morning not just for a lesson, but... a tale of sorts."</b> He paused to gauge her reaction then cautiously continued, <b>"You see... There was once a man who reigned on the cliffs of Mount Dire. When I first came here to Relic Lore he took me in... Even when I had nothing. No family, no affiliations... not even a traveling companion or knowledge of the forests beyond the base of the mountain. He welcomed me with just the trust that I would help his pack. I truly owe this man everything. His name is Alexander Dieudonné... Your <i>biological</i> father."</b></blockquote>
(This post was last modified: May 13, 2012, 07:08 AM by Borden.)
Inactive No Rank
Arlette Dieudonné Lyall
lol, yes it was! I was pretty excited :D

"Oh," she said, trying to hide a bit of puzzlement, and surprise. He went to lengths of explanation, and she cracked a grin, a soft laugh humming from her lips. "I suppose that does make sense," she said in a more sturdy tone of real understanding. She found it odd she'd have to wait to eat, but she supposed reaching her first birthday would change things. She'd be an adult, a real member of the pack, and eating by her mother's prompts was probably out. That was okay, Arlette wanted to grow up, to be treated as an equal. She didn't see her working up through the ranks like...Trisden might. Then again, she did need something to do. If she proved herself a good Keeper who knows what would become of her.

She continued digging, busy with her work she did not notice any struggle on Borden's part. She had a ways more to go, she wanted this thing deep, deep, deep. The sound of her name caught her attention, and she paused momentarily, cocking an ear in his direction. He began with a story, and she found herself immediately allured, and her paws stopping their work. A story of the Mountain of Dire? It struck somewhere in her memory, and she recalled the male Alex who helped her catch food. Slowly it came to her, Borden had lived there with him. Instead of entranced she found herself very bemused. What did this have to do with anything? She did not interrupt his smooth flow of speech, she felt so far away, yet so close. "He welcomed me with just the trust that I would help his pack. I truly owe this man everything. His name is Alexander Dieudonné... Your biological father." A gasp would leave her lips.

Alex...was...her real father?!

She stood there, the world looking black and her insides feeling vacant. No wonder the wolf had the same eyes as her. Yet, he'd never acted different...not really. Now? Who was her mother then? Were her siblings really hers? Eyes blinked sharply against her pale eyes, and she sidestepped from her hole. "I..." she began in a wispy voice, and found herself clamping her lips. She was so stunned she had no idea how to speak, what to say exactly. Was anything of her life not a lie then?She found her eyes staring at the wolf she had counted on, and trusted. "Why am I hearing this...now?" Her question was sharp, and her eyes bore the hurt threatening almost to tear. "Why am I here?"

(This post was last modified: May 14, 2012, 10:19 PM by Arlette.)