(See All?) Announcements
589 Users Online
Google, Bing

throw my heart in the well of wishing — Dead Empress Backwater 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Cade who has 101 posts.
Dead Empress Backwater IX. Subordinate
Asmund Ingerssen Valle
All welcome! Az is looking for @Viorel but that doesn't have to be who he finds by any means. c:

Asmund was quivering with fear. His body still ached in a select few places from Isla's trampling, and he wasn't used to being exposed to the world for such long stretches of time. There was a desperate voice inside of him that begged he find cover immediately, and it screamed along his nerves, making it feel as though his very flesh were burning. It was exhausting, but he didn't know what else to do besides get through it. Hiding, barely existing didn't protect him the he hoped it would. He had to find a new way.

It had been whispered about for days, what had happened. The pack's leader, Archer's papa had been the one to stop the monster's tirade and even punished him for what he had done, sending him running. If anyone could teach Asmund how to be strong and defend himself, that was the wolf. He approached the vicinity of the pack's communal den nervously, practically on tiptoes and hoping to spy Viorel quickly so that he could feel some semblance of safety again without being buried beneath brush or earth or stone.
Played by Ghost who has 625 posts.
Dead Empress Backwater I. Leader
Viorel Valle

Viorel had been on his way back from the southern borders where he had spent the last hour or so clearing a large bunch of branches that had been knocked down by heavy snowfall. Normally he would have just left them, but they had blocked one of the more frequented pack paths and it would have been a pain in everyone’s back avoiding it all winter. Or maybe he was just making busy work for himself, either one was possible.

The leader was surprised to see who was lurking around the entrance of the communal den. This might actually be the first time he had seen Asmund out and about since his mother’s death, certainly in such a social area. He had been worried about the child but had not wanted to push it, and figured he would either get through this or he wouldn’t and there was not much the pack could do other than wait and be there when he was ready. And maybe that time was now.

Coming to a halt not far away he wasn’t sure how to approach the situation, ”Asmund?” What was this about?

[Image: s38i5ZS.png]
Asmund Ingerssen Valle
Looking around him, he heard the man's voice somewhere from his left speaking his name. Az's muzzle snapped round to set his sights on Viorel, and his tail began to whip back and forth with a fair amount of relief. He squirmed closer to the older wolf, wiggling with happiness for the leader's presence. Still, his green eyes avoided contact and his lips were pulled into a grimace of nerves. What to say? He'd already lacked in social skills, and certainly hadn't been prepared for of these latest twists and turns.

"Hello, sir," he decided to shyly start with.

"Um. Do you, have a moment... ?"
Viorel Valle

The Valle man was pleased to see what a happy greeting the child returned as soon as they were facing one another. Not noticing how nervous Asmund appeared, Viorel touched his nose against the forehead of boy. He smiled and chuckled, ”Asmund please, you know you don’t have to call me sir.” He had half hoped that Llinea’s pups would eventually call him dad, but had come to accept they would never have that relationship. He did think of them as somewhat of his adoptees though, now that they were orphans.

All thoughts were halted at the next words. Anxiety brewed in his stomach instantly, so many terrible conversations had started this way. So many of children, his mate, his everyone asking to speak with him and then telling him they wanted to leave, that they wanted something more. He was sure that that was exactly what the dark child in front of him was about to say, and the hesitation was clear in his voice, ”Uh sure, I guess I have time…” Yellow eyes stared intently at Asmund, waiting for the other paw to drop.

Asmund Ingerssen Valle
The older wolf's tone seemed to shift, first amiable and then faintly hesitant. Asmund's ears closed the rest of the way down against his own plush fur, starting to wonder if maybe his idea wasn't so good after all. It was worth finding out, though.

"Um."

It was strange for the young boy, calling an adult by their first name. It hadn't occurred to him that Inger's formality had been partly caused by her lacking names for most of the wolves around them, but she'd of course known Archer, Viorel, Vayko, Clover and Eros- and had insisted each of them be given the respect of a title. Asmund of course did not know all the details, but she'd made it clear that they owed the wolves a debt of gratitude.

Of course, was it really deferential if it wasn't wanted?

"M-, um, Viorel. I was... I wanna know-, how d-, how do you... stay safe?"

Asmund regarded the leader with his mother's green eyes, hanging on the hope that he had an answer for him.
(This post was last modified: Jan 18, 2023, 05:08 AM by Asmund.)
Viorel Valle

The anxiety in his belly intensified seeing the pup’s expression and then melted away when he expressed his question. The Valle man’s expression softened into one of curiosity and understanding. A corner of his mouth twitched upwards, ”Is there something, or someone, in particular that you’re trying to stay safe from?” Was this all from the scuffle with Isla? Or was this still residual from the gory fate his mother had fallen to?

No matter where this worry was coming from, he deserved to have an answer and so Viorel would do his best to teach him. Straightening up his posture he hummed for a minute thoughtfully before continuing, ”Well, having the pack around definitely helps, there is safety in numbers. I also learned how to fight as a child by sparring with my siblings and some of the adults as well.” But, Asmund didn’t have that advantage did he? He wasn’t living an idyllic life where all he had to do was absorb as much knowledge as he could.

Looking at the boy again he offered, ”I could teach you if you would like, but you have to promise not to go around fighting at every opportunity, you don’t want to get yourself into something you can’t get out of.” Scuffling with other pups was fine, but Viorel couldn’t stand the thought of Asmund getting seriously injured.

Asmund Ingerssen Valle
Asmund wasn't expecting that question. He blinked back at the leader, muzzle scrunching and head tilting so subtly it was almost imperceptible. What else would he be talking about? Except, the answers came in like a flood, and his expression then turned sad. He looked away, tail drooping.

Everyone. Everything.

At least Viorel had an affirmative response for him as well. If the Valle patriarch had started as a child, then Asmund definitely needed to begin training as soon as possible. Relief slipped through his lungs as he was offered lessons. At least it was possible, and now even probable! He'd be given the tools and then he'd just have to... use them.

Asmund nodded.

"I don't wanna fight, but... I want to be able to when I need."

He would need to. That seemed inevitable anymore.

"When um. When could that happen... ?"
(This post was last modified: Mar 02, 2023, 02:37 AM by Asmund.)
Viorel Valle

The Valle wolf could see that Asmund was overwhelmed with life. This much was probably clear to anyone who had ever interacted with the child. Hiding away, closed off when he communicated with others, only ever actually communicating when he was forced to. Viorel worried about him, but he didn’t know exactly how to fix what had been so fundamentally broken in the boy.

Raising an eyebrow he drawled, ”Why don’t we start right now? Then we can train every few days when I have time.” He dropped down into a playful bow, rear end waggling in the air as he waited for Asmund to do the same. He knew the child wanted serious fighting lessons, but it was good to start with a small tussle, something playful, loosen the muscles up. He grinned, ”Your move Asmund.” How would he make the first approach? Would he remember to be defensive even in his offense?

Viorel’s tail wave lazily behind him, ready to - gently - respond to what was sure to be a rough kind of strike.

Asmund Ingerssen Valle
Another surprise, this one actually causing his tail to give a few happy wags. Now? Then often? It seemed almost too perfect and easy, but he'd yet been given a reason not to trust the pack's leader. Rather than doubt, Asmund was beginning to idolize the adult in earnest. Llinnea was wrong about them, she had to be.

Viorel's first move, however, wasn't really what he'd been expecting. His head tilted visibly now, green eyes still blinking with surprise. His turn to... what? He tried to remember what it had been like to tussle with his sister, but that felt so long ago now... and certainly hadn't involved risking one's life.

Az shifted from paw to paw, nervous and already embarrassed. Still, he had to try something. With a deep breath, he closed his eyes and charged. He supposed the plan was to headbutt Vi.
Viorel Valle

The Valle man couldn’t help but notice that when Asmund became uncomfortable he shifted from paw to paw, and it got a grin. He knew that was one of his own tells for being nervous and wondered when exactly the boy had picked that up. He knew the child wasn’t his, but he cared about him as if he were, especially after what had happened to Inger. His tail waggled over his back teasingly, waiting for his opponent to make his move.

And when he did, it wasn’t a good one. Vi pulled his lips over his teeth to keep from laughing as Asmund charged towards him with his eyes closed. It was simple enough to side step him and allow the headbutt to fizzle out harmlessly. Smiling he nodded, ”Okay. First lesson, when you’re attacking you should always keep your eyes open and always looking at your opponent.” Viorel waited for a minute to make sure that his words sunk in, and then he bent back into his playful bow, ”Okay, again.”

And he would keep doing so, over and over again, giving pointers with each attempt until they got somewhere this afternoon. Then he would let the child rest, they could keep going another day.

FADE