434 Users Online
Bing, Google

I need something to rely on — Dead Empress Backwater 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Melorama who has 99 posts.
Dead Empress Backwater IV. Advisor
Rochus Ward
For Viorel only please! <3

He had given it a day to think over what he would tell Viorel before seeking out the man, wanting to leave no room for doubts or worry about what was really going on. The deal between him and Isla was a tad more nefarious than he would reveal to anyone else, but Viorel didn't need to know the specifics. He waited until late evening before seeking him out, hoping to catch Viorel at the end of a nap before the man went off to do whatever it was he did at night. Rochus preferred having an early night himself, but to each their own.

Taking his time to mosey around the pack den, Rochus grunted softly to himself, golden eyes flicking around as he looked around for Viorel. Hopefully the man hadn't woken up early and was already gone. He was hoping to get this conversation done with sooner rather than later.
Played by Ghost who has 630 posts.
Dead Empress Backwater I. Leader
Viorel Valle

The leader had been enjoying a pleasant dream. It had been a hot summer afternoon and it was just after his first birthday, Vayko and he had been playing in the salty waters of the sea as Aunt Modesto watched from afar. Their bellies were full of the fish the three of them had caught that afternoon, everything was easy and carefree, they were expecting company from an allied pack in a few days. Viorel’s biggest concern was which one of the pretty girls he was going to try his moves on.

Viorel had been just about to splash his cousin with a huge wave when a grunt brought him back to reality. Blinking in surprise, his yellow eyes peered lazily at Rochus’ form entering the den. Sniffing once, and licking his lips with a deep yawn, shuffling his head back down onto his paws and closing his eyes. His assumption was that his uncle was here to come to bed, and the younger Valle was hoping to get back to his dream. It was easier there, and warmer. If Rochus needed something he was going to have to use his words and ask, if not then Viorel was just going to keep on snoozing.

[Image: s38i5ZS.png]
Rochus Ward
Eyes quickly adjusting to the darkness of the den, not much more darker than outside, Rochus could make out Viorel's black form resting nearby. Based on the yawn and readjustment he could tell the wolf was awake, though perhaps not for long unless he did something to get his attention. He thought for a few moments about what he wanted to say, before gently clearing his throat.

"I was hoping to speak with you," he said tactfully, golden eyes watching Viorel for the wolf's reaction. "After the recent... incident with Inger, Isla found me and asked if I could teach her how to defend herself." Rochus paused for a moment, one ear twitching as he had to resist the urge to frown at the fact he had to even ask permission. "She was also hoping to receive some lessons from me about the different roles a pack wolf can attain, but I wished to request your approval first."
Viorel Valle

The leader was almost back to sleep when Rochus cleared his throat, causing the yellow eyes to open lazily again. He wanted to groan, and maybe a year ago he would have, but he had matured at least a little since then. Pushing himself up onto his paws so that he could give his uncle the attention he deserved, he yawned once more, ruffling his coat back into place. Rochus launched right into things so there was no need to question exactly what he was coming here to ask.

Smiling softly Viorel let out a single chuckle, ”I saw Isla’s muzzle, and while I think it’s admirable she wants to learn to defend herself, I have a suspicion that she was probably on the offensive.” he hadn’t spoken to either Asmund or Isla about the incident, but just knowing how pushy his daughter could be, and how scared the adopted child was, it wasn’t a far leap to make.

He was slightly confused as to why his uncle thought he needed permission, so he shrugged, ”The children can learn from whoever they want, if she wants it to be you neither of you need my permission.” Then he smiled again, ”though at least try to keep her together in one piece, yeah?” They could rough and tumble, but he would prefer them not to be completely covered in scars by their first birthday.

Rochus Ward
At least Viorel eventually gave him his full attention, had Rochus received anything less he would have been affronted. But there would have been no use showing it now that they weren't in the Estuary anymore. The old rules didn't apply here, as evident by the fact Modesto had been cast out with little second thought. He couldn't be too pushy, otherwise he'd likely face the same result.

Rochus hummed softly in response, not wanting to let on anything else he knew about what Isla had done. Viorel didn't appear to know for sure, and he wasn't about to reveal what he had pieced together based on what Isla had told him. There was no need for that. "She does appear to be very sure of herself," he said tactfully once again, picking his words carefully.

He was momentarily surprised at how lackadaisical Viorel was about who should be allowed to teach his children things, knowing that if it were his own children he would be far more strict in who mentored them. But that would work well in his favour, and he smoothed his expression to one that was more grateful in appearance. "Very well." There was little else to say on the matter if Viorel was so sure of him not needing to ask.

A soft chuckle of his own slipped out as Viorel spoke more. "I'm too old for anything rough." Rochus had no intention of getting into anything beyond simply showing Isla what to do. If she wanted a test subject she could find one of the other children to try anything out for herself.

"I was also hoping to work towards officially gaining a teacher position in the pack. I think the young ones could use a bit more structured learning, and I'd be happy to assist with that." They were sorely lacking in some departments, and he had to suppress the shiver at the memory of Eros trying to store away a morsel of food beneath the boulder.
Viorel Valle

The leader snorted at Rochus’ tactful words but said nothing, they all knew who Isla was and no amount of correction from him seemed to adjust that. He was half waiting for someone else to come in and knock her on her tail a time or two and remind her she wasn’t the biggest wolf in the Lore. When that time came he would come and pick up the pieces and make sure she didn’t get overly injured, but he wasn’t necessarily against the idea of her losing some fights either.

The older man looked surprised for just long enough for Viorel to register it before it smoothed down to appreciation. The leader raised his own eyebrow slightly, was he expecting a disagreement? There was no reason that his children shouldn’t be learning from every member of the pack until they found their strengths and weaknesses. Herbs from Clover, sparring from Rochus it seemed, scouting from Archer, stories from Vasco. Viorel was not quite sure what he was teaching them, but he was trying.

Viorel chuckled, ”Oh please, from what I remember you and Platon were the best of the best when it came from sparring back in the day..” But he was getting older, they all were, if his first litters were now getting to the age that they could have their own children if they wanted to. What a terrible thought. Smiling cheekily he continued, ”But, if you’re looking to retire into something a little slower you have my support to start teaching the children more and eventually being the pack’s dedicated teacher.” Sea gods knew they needed some more direction.

Rochus Ward
I can have Rochus 'exit' in his next post then you fade, unless Viorel has anything else to say?

He mirrored Viorel's chuckle. Ah, those had been the days, back when his body could keep up with his mind. While he still had those skills, and could probably still hold up as well, the recovery period was sorely lacking. His joints weren't able to take as much of a toll anymore, and he was beginning to feel those 'old wolf' aches when it got cold. Getting old was a pain in his ass.

"Fond times to remember back on. Unfortunate about what happened to him, he had been a good sparring partner." Back when everything was simpler, though perhaps more difficult given the council. Here there was no council, so he felt more sure in his ability to weasel his way in where he wanted.

But he had a confirmation from Viorel to work towards officially gaining the teacher role, and that's all he had wanted. Would he be completely open about what he'd do? Obviously not. But being close to the new blood of the pack was the easiest way he knew to get a solid foothold in. If dear old grandpa was the wolf they were closest to, he'd have an advantage over the rest of the subordinates... especially Vasco.

"Thank you, Viorel. I'll get to work on that soon." He had nothing else he wanted to say to the leader, and so glanced around the pack den in search of a comfortable spot to curl up in. It was getting quite late, and he figured since he was here he may as well get some sleep.
Viorel Valle
Feel free to have Rochus exit unless he has a big response to Vi's remark!

Yellow eyes glinted happily at seeing Rochus laugh, he was a bit of the surly sort so any kind of pleasantry was a rare surprise. It suddenly struck Viorel just how similar Isla and his uncle were in that regard, it was no wonder that they seem to be taking to each other. Birds of a feather and all that nonsense. This did turn to sharpness at the mention of Platon, unfortunate, the leader nodded slowly. The younger man quickly responded, ”An unfortunate accident, or a successful plan?” He had no idea what he was stepping in.

In Viorel’s mind it made little sense that a man as strong and renowned as Platon would disappear without a trace. Clearly, someone had had something to do with the disappearance. What the leader didn’t know was that it was his own mother and father who had conspired for it, and instead had come up with suspects of his own. One of them stood before him, the man’s rival for size and title, and the others were in other packs back at the sea, perhaps hoping to weaken them a little. So he couldn’t help with that little probe, just wanting to see if he could get any kind of reaction out of Rochus.

He only nodded at his thanks and watched closely as the other man made a show about looking for a place to sleep. Suddenly Viorel wasn’t tired at all.

Rochus Ward
Viorel's comment had Rochus pausing for a moment, face only half turned away in search of a good spot to curl up in, though his expression was one of cautious intrigue. He had nothing to hide, after all he hadn't been the one to do anything to Platon, and whether or not Vasco had actually done the deed himself was up for debate. But Rochus had his own suspicions, and he was quite certain of it even without indisputable proof.

He turned back to face Viorel, raising a brow and shrugging with one shoulder. "If there was a plan I wasn't aware of one." For once he didn't speak in a half truth and was being completely honest. It did cross his mind for a moment to bring up Vasco, even just in passing, but that would place some suspicion on himself in the process for even mentioning Vasco. And with just being granted permission to do official teacher duties Rochus didn't want to jeopardise that.

With nothing left to say on the matter Rochus made himself comfortable on the ground, curling up and tucking his nose underneath the tip of his tail, his face angled in just the perfect position to glance at Viorel once more before he closed his eyes. Viorel could do with that information however he wished, but Rochus was intending on getting some well-earned rest.

Rochus 'exit'
(This post was last modified: Apr 30, 2023, 12:18 PM by Rochus.)
Viorel Valle

Viorel’s words seemed to have enough weight behind them to cause his uncle to pause searching for a place to nap, at least for a moment. Yellow eyes watched closely, analyzing every twitch of the other wolf’s face as he turned to look at him. The leader had been hoping for some kind of tell, but as far as he could see the comment appeared honest, if there was a plan I wasn’t aware of one.. It was all still suspicious, but he had no reason to believe this was a lie.

Eventually, he nodded silently, slowly, and watched as Uncle Rochus curled himself up tightly and settled down to sleep. He nodded one more time before turning and disappearing out of the den. There was no way he was going to get a wink of sleep now,. He had some thinking to do. Viorel’s mind raced as he made his way out of the territory, he wanted to pace in peace, and then maybe everything would start making sense. It had been a long time since this had bothered him, but it seemed important now.

FADE