577 Users Online
Viorel, Google, Bing

Dutiful — Sacred Grove 
Print · · Subscribe · 1 Loves ·
Played by Siki who has 301 posts.
Inactive Deceased
Marsh Barrew
Morning rounds, near the borders. Clear — Current Temperature: 27° F/-3° C

<blockquote>Marsh huffed in his companion's direction as they moved ahead, though with an expression of patient amusement. His immediate subordinate had more than proven his worth in the time he had spent in Swift River, and Marsh was pleased for the efficient ally. Ice may have been an eager talker, but at least he had long accepted that Marsh was not; conversation was not nearly as offensive when he wasn't expected to really join in. Ice's loyalty, too, was more than could be said for any of the equivalent ranks held on the female side of things. Perhaps they were all too intimidated by Corinna's natural superiority? No matter the cause, at least the pack had a healthy dose of attentive males, and considering that only one female was needed to keep the pack's future alive, Marsh was more than happy with how things were going.

The strange, foreboding feeling never left his gut these days, but in the company of such amiable beasts like Ice, it was easy to ignore.

Border patrol was the most common job, and one that, no doubt, all of the pack knew well. Marsh certainly never went a day without several rigourous rounds of the entire territory. To have Indru back was of interest - if mostly because, no doubt, it meant that Corinna would soon be swelling with her second litter of Tainns - and Marsh was pleased to smell his leader's strong presence on the borders once more. It made for a sturdier group, with more solid leadership, and though Marsh's complete loyalty had long been tied to Indru's mate, Swift River as a whole was his ward now. Gone unchallenged for so long, what had once been an unquestioningly submissive creature had rather taken to his authoritative role. For some time, he had eyed Ice, wondering whether or not he should expect a rival as he had in Ruiko, but it had not seemed to be. The white guardian had ever seemed content in his place, and more than earned his position.

If, one day, the wolf wished to move up in the world, Marsh would not have been disappointed to lose that fight.</blockquote>
Played by Fenrir who has 639 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Ice Aesir
you do not know who is your friend
or who is your enemy
until the   ICE breaks.
If Ice thought back on the first times he met Marsh, he would've been surprised at how much his opinion of the silent Second had changed. Being one who could ramble for forever, he'd been quite taken aback with a wolf that preferred to not speak in words, but only through every other channel wolves used for communication - and, perhaps, had seen it as a sign of weakness.. or maybe even stupidity. Over time though, he'd come to realize that words wasn't everything, and Marsh's strong, silent presence did wonders for everyone. Even when it all was heavy and tired in spring, he and Marsh had kept working side by side, retaining some semblance of normality and stability. It had done wonders, and somewhere along the road, the pale Guardian had relaxed and actually begun to enjoy being around the older rugged wolf. And, amazingly enough, it seemed that he no longer minded Ice's incessant ramble, the way words poured from his mouth like a waterfall as his mind commented on everything and everything at once. While he wasn't certain Marsh was even listening to him most of the time, it felt good anyway, but perhaps too often he'd tied his tongue in knots when realizing he'd begun to skirt onto dangerous territory - mainly philosophies on fatherhood, and philosophies on emotional bonds - and if Marsh had given him questioning looks, Ice had pretended not to notice. He wasn't certain how the russet wolf would take to such subjects, just because he listened with half an ear didn't mean he cared.

It wasn't rare to see the pair of them walking about the precincts, the taller Ice with his head and tail low, the shorter Marsh with all his fancy scars. He liked patrolling with Marsh, for if some curious loner stuck their nose too close, it didn't take much more than a growl from his brutish companion to send them scampering off again. At a first glance, there wasn't much but an eternal expression of grumpiness - or it was just the scars that made him seem so discontent - and gray eyes that stared straight into your soul. He wasn't as sleek and good-looking as Indru, but once you got past the unease at being scrutinized by him, he could actually be quite...charming. There was just this rugged, wild air to him, and it made him sort of handsome, in a sort of beastly way - it also made it very fun to, sometimes, tease him a little about it.. until he grew tired of it. Ice would never dare to push Marsh over the limit, because he was fairly certain the older male could make kindling of his bones in a heartbeat. Sometimes it seemed the brown male had unending patience with all of Ice's foolery, and it happened that he wondered why - must be that he did something good every once in a while.

".. and I swear, that rabbit knew how to run. Zig-zagged before disappearing like a bolt of lightning into the bushes, leaving me dizzy and disoriented." He had know idea what he'd been talking about for the past five minutes or so, only that he'd somehow come to talk of the story of his failed rabbit hunting some days ago. The blasted creature must've had no spatial orientation at all, because it had led him on a merry chase with too many quick turns until he'd hit his head on a nearby tree that had taken that moment to lean in too close. He left the tree out of it though, merely huffing at the memory. He'd laughed about it afterwards. "Do you like rabbits Marsh?" he asked, but it wasn't an attempt to coax a word from the silent wolf - he didn't wait for an answer, just gave him a glance to see if he'd give some visual cue at all. "There's not much meat on them, but they make for great hunting, though most of them are too fast for me, but it's fun! A bit like a challenge, y'know? Maybe we should exchange our border patrol for some rabbit hunting one day!" The image of silent, sturdy Marsh and rambling, sturdy Ice chasing itty-bitty rabbits was quite amusing, and with a snort the Guardian bent his nose down and took a sniff at a scent that wasn't River wolf. He grimaced, the skin of his muzzle wrinkling. It was a day old or so, so he ignored it and moved on. Despite the way he spoke too much, he did keep alert to the surroundings... and that was the exact reason he nearly tripped over a root, yelping and scrambling for a step or two.
.ice aesir

:| I wonder how Marsh puts up with him when he's got these days.... xD
(This post was last modified: Apr 24, 2012, 12:01 PM by Ice.)
let the stars above shine in your soul
Inactive Deceased
Marsh Barrew
I think this is my first ever proper thread with Ice. (And you?) Immediately I'm heartbroken that this is to be the only one with Marsh. I mean, Lawful Evil and Chaotic Good, silent and noisy - just think what a hilarious pair they'd make. /heaps love on Ice

<blockquote>Sentences floated through Marsh's skull as they poured smoothly from Ice's jaws, most of them blurring into a pleasing background noise; he only paid attention to the odd word here or there when he was actually able to differentiate them from the rest of the sounds. Names were easiest. Whenever his companion happened to mention Corinna, in particular, Marsh did his best to pay attention. Fortunately, the news - or simple chatter - was inane enough to warrant no concern. Other words - <i>morning, hunt, river </i> - he occasionally latched on to, but in the few seconds it took to really process them, Ice had already moved on three topics.

What he had once found infuriating, in Ice he found almost endearing. Just as his silence was understood and respected, Marsh had been growing to realise that talkativeness was not necessarily a bad thing in and of itself. What had once hurt his mind, he now simply accepted. It was clear that Ice was no moron, nor incapable. In a way, had Marsh been younger, he would have been inclined to take inspiration from the white guardian, but any curiosity he felt towards learning this rich language once more was lost to the stubbornness of age. It was too late for him to change now, but, perhaps, if things had been different...

<i>Do you like rabbits, Marsh?</i> Ice said, and Marsh blinked and glanced at him, clumsily registering from the intonation that it had been a question. Like... rabbits? Oh, indeed, this language was full of the possibility for complex and meaningful conversations. Ever entertained by Ice, Marsh smirked and snorted in ever-lasting patience, licking his lips by way of response. He had gotten into the habit of answering such questions in physical ways; it seemed to please Ice, and it more than pleased him to be able to occasionally participate without the other expecting more. Of course, Ice's tongue had not stopped, and the handsome voice continued to wash over Marsh's ears... soothing, in its own way.

The serenity was swiftly spoiled, of course. Having encountered the foreign scent the night before, Marsh had waited for Ice to examine it, and had already turned away to march on when the wolf beside him yelped and stumbled forwards. Momentarily alarmed, the Second twisted back, but it was immediately apparent that it was no foul play; Ice was just a fool. Chuffing in open laughter at the expense of his companion, Marsh snapped gently at the fool's cheek, aiming to do no more than catch fluff between his teeth. Such clumsy behaviour was not befitting of a Swift River loyalist, after all!</blockquote>
(This post was last modified: May 02, 2012, 02:13 PM by Marsh.)
Inactive No Rank
Ice Aesir
or who is your enemy
until the   ICE breaks.
Ah, Marsh did like rabbits! He'd seen the motion, gathered that it meant tasty but he had no idea to know whether or not Marsh would be interested in trying to hunt the darn creatures. Neither of them looked agile enough to keep up with them when they went into a craze, but maybe they would manage anyway - or just have a good laugh. He still wasn't certain just how serious Marsh was about everything, but he had a notion there was a sense of humor buried somewhere under all the gruffness and scars. And, in a sense, there certainly was, for as he stumbled the older male huffed laughter and nipped his cheek. A not-entirely-heartbreaking whine escaped the pale male's jaws and he retaliated with a lick of slobbery apology. Marsh was right to "rebuke" him for tripping on his own paws, but the fact that he did trip was a good sign - it meant that he was content, at peace enough to do stupid things. It meant that life was good, and that no strangers lurked around the Grove at the moment.

With a strangled sort of sigh Ice gave his shoulders a roll, bouncing forth a couple of steps to properly catch up with Marsh. Even if the Guardian did something stupid - like stop and stare for a moment - Marsh always kept going, as if he simply couldn't bother with stopping and starting all the time. It was a characteristic that Ice found strangely soothing, and he also liked the few moments of peace when he could stop and simply observe the russet wolf, without those gray eyes boring into his soul. Though, he could never lag for too long, or he'd get his ass handed to him. Smirking slightly, Ice pushed the thoughts away and slowed to a proper walk again once he'd caught up with his partner-in-patrol. A few moments of silence, thoughts swirling behind his active eyes.. unspoken questions, curiosity, confusion. "So, what say you? Maybe try hunting a rabbit or two later today, or tomorrow?" Again, the flash of eyes onto Marsh, the brief pause awaiting a reply. The fact that Marsh understood some words indicated that he'd once taken active part in their language, and he certainly wasn't a mute... and yet to ask, felt like unveiling a very attractive mystery.

So instead, he pawed on, relaxed and analyzing the surroundings while he let his tongue shape words for the forest. "I'm no good at it, though, but yeah - it's fun all the same. They're a bit too fast for me, but makes for a good laugh." He glanced at the morning sunlight slanting off a nearby stream, the surface bright and blinding. It was cold still, but in the patches of sun, there was warmth aplenty - the shadows though, they were still cold from the night. "Just don't try to take me fishing! Triell did once, and... it didn't go too well." They all had their quirks; Marsh had his silence, Ice had his dislike of water, which was ironic given their pack's name and location.
.ice aesir
Inactive Deceased
Marsh Barrew
<blockquote>Retribution for his clumsiness delivered, Marsh snorted and moved on, knowing that Ice would catch up sooner or later. The Second was quite rigourous in these rounds, and, unless he had another task on his mind, did not waste time. The moment of silliness had been swiftly forgotten, the expression on the copper wolf's face that of business as Ice rejoined him. Briefly he examined the scent left at the base of a tree, not yet noticing his companion's silence. Just as he concluded that the smell was nothing to worry about, Ice's question hit the air, and Marsh glanced back at him, taking the customary moment or two to digest what had been thrown his way.

He was proposing a rabbit hunt. Right? Well, the pack's caches could always do with a top-up - why not? That thought process quite clearly passed through his expressions, concluded with an accepting shrug. He wasn't particularly good at small game - he lacked the speed necessary - but he was more than persistent enough. Most of the time, that effort was better spent going after something bigger, but the pack wasn't in dire need and he wasn't starving. It wouldn't be energy wasted to try.

Such were the important deliberations on something as simple as hunting a rabbit or two. It didn't really occur to him that it might have been a throwaway suggestion for the sake of conversation.

Ice's voice started up again, then, though Marsh's attention remained relatively focused as they continued on their way. He was fairly sure that he wasn't saying anything important... but he couldn't be sure, so listened anyway. He was quite certain that the topic had changed when he recognised 'fish'... and Triell? Marsh thought that his tone implied something had gone wrong, but... What was that about? Curiosity touched his expression as he glanced over to Ice, his head tilted slightly to the side (in a manner not too far removed from Corinna) in what he hoped was an encouragement to explain. In a way he could easily follow, preferably.

Though really, there was no doubt that Ice was going to elaborate, so Marsh probably didn't need to worry.</blockquote>
Inactive No Rank
Ice Aesir
or who is your enemy
until the   ICE breaks.
Nothing to fear.. when you are near...

There was something mildly amazing to watch as Marsh processed words and tried to come up with ways to express answers - amazing that, somehow, it was even possible. Quite a lot of times he posed rhetorical questions for no real reason at all, and most of the time Marsh didn't catch on to what he was going on about, but when it was a question deliberately asked, with a pause for him to think and reply in, it usually worked out. At least, they were learning. Marsh was learning the words and intonations Ice normally used, and he was learning to read the expressions of the other. The accepting shrug was interpreted as a not-too-interested go-ahead, and the Guardian was surprised to find a desire in him: to prove to Marsh that it would be interesting, fun, enjoyable. Sociable. Frowning at himself, he looked away to hide the expression from Marsh. It was one thing to get weird looks when you knew why, another when you had not the slightest clue at all. This situation could only be attributed to the latter, and the frown turned into a scowl directed at a nearby tree that leered at him. Fucking shrub should mind its own business.

But then there was talk of fish and Triell and unless Ice had decided the tree was, after all, free of guilt he would've missed Marsh's questioning look and probably skipped on to another subject entirely. As it was, he was just about to talk of something else edible when he, open-mouthed, caught the head-tilt. The semblance to Corinna nearly made him laugh, but instead he just closed his jaws with an audible click. Caught in his own net! Of course, he could just pretend to be as dumb as he sometimes was, but then again... It'd be rude, to deny the Second his request when he, for once, made one. In a way, it was like Marsh had asked a question, initiated a conversation. He couldn't let him down. Just to give in, and talk of water... Whether or not he'd told anyone, they usually noticed pretty soon that he preferred to avoid or make deer-leaps over anything deeper than his ankles.

So, just to talk of it, then. Sigh.

Still, it was kind of amusing... "I met Triell by the creek in late winter," he began slowly, trying to pick out words that weren't too crazy and speak clearly. Articulate, and not rush. "And, uh, despite knowing that I don't particularly like water.. he decided to take me fishing. Stupid as I am, I agreed. After much yelping and flailing and getting wet, I sat in the damnable creek while those slithery demons tried to rub my skin off!" Nasty, these fishies. "Triell got a fish, of course, and miserable as I was with sitting in the creek, I got out of it. He gave me the thing, but it wasn't all that tasty - don't tell him, though." The last he said with a kind of horror. He didn't want to hurt the black youth's feeling, and after all, he had eaten the damn creature... His eyes searched Marsh's face, looking for signs of understanding, or if there was some passage he should take again. But, most of all, he awaited a glimmer of humor, that rough laugh, perhaps another bite to the cheek. Silly, really, to have an awful fisher in a River pack.
.ice aesir
Inactive Deceased
Marsh Barrew
<blockquote>It was easy to tell when they really wanted Marsh to understand. He had long gotten over the faintly patronising aura that 'speaking slowly' implied, and simply appreciated the fact that they acknowledged and compensated for his difficulties at all. Still he struggled, but with how much Ice laboured the point, it was not too difficult to comprehend. Ice was not a good fisherman, and with that tone of voice, he didn't enjoy the notion, either.

Marsh was no expert with fish, but it had been a useful trade to know. The idea that Ice actually disliked it was... entertaining, or shameful? Both, perhaps? With such an obvious supply of food, how could he afford <i>not</i> to know?

He also understood that it was probably not going to change, and any attempts otherwise would likely lead no-where.

That <i>would</i> be entertaining, though.

Thus far quite solemn in his expression, his underlying amusement hidden, an air of business came over the wolf, and for a moment he stared at Ice, as if judging something. Then, with a decisive snort, his thoughts were concluded, and with a jerk of his nose for Ice to follow, he veered off-course... towards the river.</blockquote>
Played by Lightning who has 584 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Ash Hervok
THe weather wasn't too bad for the current day, and yet through this day Ash took his chance to go check up on Finn near the Swift River borders. He made a mistake as soon as he got there though for he saw what he did not wish to see. . .two River wolves. Shit, one of them was from the incident with Finn, he knew there was no point in hiding though, so lifting his head slightly he barked out to the two signaling his presence. He could only hope that this would not go bad for him, for if it did he didn't know what he would do.
<br><br>
The large brown brite made sure to keep his head slow in submission, just in case it was what the two wolves were looking for. He didn't want to get into a fight, he had been able to aviod such a thing since arriving, but he was hoping it would stay this way.

OOC: Hope you don't mind me joining. Sorry it's so short but I wanted to get him in here ASAP! :P
I think I've finally seen the light..in you.
Inactive No Rank
Ice Aesir
or who is your enemy
until the   ICE breaks.
Ice did, perhaps, share some of Marsh's sentiments on fishing: it was a useful skill to possess when being neighbors with a river. Even he understood that part of it, but he'd since long accepted that that knowledge probably wouldn't ever defeat his phobia. As long as there were rabbits, and deer, and berries... why did he need to know how to fish? Fish were creepy and not at all delightful to eat. They were cold and clammy and weird. Shuddering, he looked to the silent Marsh, trying to gauge his thoughts. Truth to be told, that fish tasted nasty was just a cover for the real issue: Ice hated, hated, hated running water that went up past his hocks. He hated it with a passion, but he didn't hate it nearly as much as it creeped him out. Just thinking about it was sudorific in a nightmare-y way, and the notion that Marsh might get ideas... well, he preferred to not think of it, and ignore his companion's sadistic tendencies. Ice had jumped into the creek for Triell. He wasn't sure if he'd jump into it for Marsh - yet.

So, when the older wolf fixed his gray eyes on him, Ice gave a low keen. "Marsh..." He wanted to plead, fall down, beg him not to force him into the river - he knew it was pointless, though. If he pleaded, Marsh would just grab him by the scruff and haul him to the banks and toss him into the water and sit on him until he stopped wriggling (which was, probably, when he'd drowned). With a very resigned and pained sigh, the pale Guardian began to pad after his partner, posture defeated. That's what came of talking about your fear. Someone decided you had to face it, whether out of good intentions or sadistic ones, and they didn't care in the least for what you thought about it.

In a sense, a loner that was perhaps a little too damn close for comfort to Swift River's borders saved him some heartache - or at least postponed it. The moment his scent infiltrated Ice's nose his head snapped up, silver eyes staring at the forest around them. A low growl rumbled in his chest and like a fleeting shadow he burst past Marsh, hesitating only to nudge his shoulder. "Let us hunt," he breathed to the older man before taking off again, startled by the fact that the loner had the audacity to bark at them! Deciding that, despite still being dry, he disliked this interruption to his and Marsh's uneventful day, he showed up in front of the loner. Intense eyes were narrowed in suspicion, his tail stiff and high above his back - though, lower than Marsh's - and with a snap of his teeth he thrust himself into the loner's face, demanding submission this instant otherwise there would be pain. He was much too close, and seemed much too relaxed, for Ice to let this slide... Normally, the pale wolf was the physical incarnation of patience and tolerance, but if there was one thing that really bothered him and awoke a rage of silver flames in his soul, it was trespassers. Especially trespassers that were this close to his home and looked as if they didn't have enough sense to know that they were.
.ice aesir
Inactive Deceased
Marsh Barrew
<blockquote>He was not oblivious to Ice's distress, but, at least for the moment, was unaware of how severe it was. Had he paid closer attention after-the-fact, it may have been obvious enough, but alas, it was not so. He did not miss the pained sigh, though, and wondered if Ice was merely being dramatic or whether this problem of his was something more serious.

Either way, it looked like they may not have the opportunity to test it, at least not today. The foreign scent wiped all notions of frivolousness from his mind, and instantly his tail stuck straight up. No, wait, it was not foreign... where had he smelt it before? Ice had noticed it at the same time; at once on alert and in sync, the white wolf nudged him as he passed, and the tone behind his words said it all. Marsh growled once in eager agreement, coarse paws bringing him swiftly behind his subordinate, and he did not contest Ice's taking the lead. The bark, while audacious, gave Marsh hope that this was not going to be a completely moronic loner; at least he had the sense not to go creeping about and try to avoid detection. Still, he was <i>very</i> close to their borders, and as the Swift River duo came to their target, Marsh instantly recognised the wolf, and negative association brought a heavy growl to his throat. He had been at the site of Finn's attack, and now trespassing, all while Corinna was so heavily pregnant!

Fortunately, Ice was every bit the giant, and every bit as efficient. The Second almost felt superfluous as Ice charged right up to the male, demanding submission. Knowing the white wolf for the relative soft-hearted creature he was, Marsh always marvelled at such displays... rarely did he witness the strength of both worlds, that of his own and that of the 'verbal' beast, in one wolf. It was almost fascinating.

Though he would have been content for Ice to steal the show, as it were, it would not really do for a Third to display himself more prominently than a Second. As such, Marsh came up beside Ice within moments, the position of his tail clearly displaying who was on top, taking a snarling step forward to force the unknown male back and ensure that he stood before Ice.

Not that he didn't appreciate Ice's presence. The white wolf's way with words meant that Marsh wouldn't have to do any talking at all, which was quite the welcome event. Not that, had the strange wolf been any closer to home, talking would have been on the cards at all - but the line was so finely drawn that, just perhaps, this was an innocent encounter. Besides, he recalled the wolf being more of a fool than a threat, and would give him this chance to explain himself to Ice's satisfaction.</blockquote>