(See All?) Announcements
470 Users Online
Google, Bing

It was just for fools — Heartleaf Creek 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Melorama who has 386 posts.
Dead Empress Backwater III. Medic
Clover Assana
Clover lay quietly in the creek, letting the gentle surge of water trickle past her as she hummed softly under her breath. The air had not gotten any better, in fact it appeared to be worsening as time went on. The smog was having an effect on her, as she was sure it was on the others as well. The continual coughing to clear the irritation made her hoarse, and no amount of drinking water or nibbling on herbs soothed it.

Her one reprieve was cooling off in the creek, head down low to the water where it at least felt as if there was less smog to inhale. The afternoon sun kept her warm where she lay, and for a short while she almost felt as if she could drift off to sleep, but the thoughts running in the back of her mind kept her awake enough to stay conscious, even if she was left mostly unaware of her surroundings.
Played by Ghost who has 627 posts.
Dead Empress Backwater I. Leader
Viorel Valle

The Valle man had been feeling the effects of the smoke and had been rattled by his experience in the Ghastly Woods. It just served as a reminder of how quickly a fire could come upon them and threaten their whole family. He had meant to talk to Eros about it as his quasi advisor but when he had come across Clover’s scent he had changed his mind. His co-leader was an even better sounding board and her opinion was equally important.

Smiling a little when he saw her in the creek, he was reminded of how young they had been when all of this had started. He didn’t want to cross the line with his cousin, but couldn’t help but notice how beautiful she looked in that moment. Shoving the thought away guiltily, he kept a little more distance than he might have otherwise.

Stepping into the creek, he inhaled sharply as the water swirled around his ankles, ”Bit late in the season for a dip.” He stayed a few feet away and ever so slowly lowered himself in, wincing a little as the cold water reached more….sensitive bits, but couldn’t deny it felt refreshing.

[Image: s38i5ZS.png]
Clover Assana
Her muzzle raised from the water at Viorel's voice, droplets running down her cheeks and throat to return to the ever flowing creek. She smiled warmly at him, her tail wagging gently in the water behind her and causing ripples in its wake. "I find a refreshing dip helps soothe the mind a bit." Perhaps it was her thicker arctic coat which helped protect against the colder elements that made her less susceptible to the sharp bite of the water.

But Clover was glad he joined her, slightly turning the front half of her body to face him more front on so she didn't need to crane her neck as sharply. She coughed quietly, her already irritated throat being further disturbed by talking, not that that would stop her from conversing with Viorel.

"Do you think the smoke will ease up soon?" Her brows were pinched as she spoke, not able to fully hide her worry at the prospect of the weather continuing its course for the foreseeable future. It would wreak havoc on the children's lungs to grow up in such an environment, not to mention whatever was causing it could become even worse. It was yet another trial for the Backwater to try and overcome.
Viorel Valle

The leader’s tail began to wave behind him when he saw how pleased Clover was to see him and he was reassured he wasn’t intruding on her. Taking a deep breath he plunged his head under the water so all of him was submerged, allowing the cool creek to swirl around him and wash the smokey smell away. Everything felt quiet, peaceful down here so the Valle wolf stayed below for as long as he could before re-emerging, shaking the water off of his face and away from his ears.

Looking over at the woman who had now repositioned herself he inquired, ”Anything new bothering you?” Then she continued and he was reassured it was just the same old same old. Lifting his muzzle to gaze up at the hazy sky, he let out a deep sigh, then forced a happier expresion onto his face. ”Probably, this has been the worst smoke season I’ve ever seen. But typically on the coast it would clear up by the fall.” He couldn’t see why this would be any different.

Looking back at Clover he felt himself forming words before he could stop himself, ”Vaykos lucky you know, to have you.” He didn’t even know why he said it, which was something he found himself thinking a lot these days. It was like his brain was moving a thousand miles an hour and he couldn’t slow it down before he messed something up. But, he was trying.

Clover Assana
She hummed softly in response to Viorel's question, raising one shoulder in a half shrug. "Nothing new, but I am worried about these fires getting closer to the Backwater." Smoke was one thing, actual fire burning down their home was something completely different and far more dangerous. She had been thinking of precautions and plans in the event the smoke turned into fire, but hoped that it would never come to that.

His mention of the coast perked her up a bit, lips turning up in a small smile. She liked it when the Valle boys talked of the ocean of their home, having never experienced a body of water larger than a lake herself, and enjoying any stories they told of when they were younger. "I've also never seen one this bad before." Her hope was that it was an unusual season and not the start of a new yearly occurrence.

Clover's mouth opened in a small 'o' of surprise as Viorel continued to speak, momentarily speechless as she processed his words. She didn't quite know what to say in response. "Thank you' seemed like a weird choice, but nothing else was coming to mind. "Just trying my best to make everyone's life a little better," she said eventually, her expression morphing into a proper smile. Clover was unsure if this was stemming from Vanadis' disappearance, or something co-leader related, but she would accept the unexpected form of approval regardless. "But I wouldn't be able to do it without you as my co-leader. I don't know how you did it alone for all those months."
Viorel Valle
I am so sorry this took so long!

Viorel nodded at her response, and hummed in acknowledgement before answering, ”I would hate to move, but if it came down to it we will have to look for somewhere safer.” They had fought for so long to build what they had, but it would mean nothing without the members of the pack themselves and that was not something that he would forget quickly. They could find somewhere new and build something better, they had already done it once after all.

He saw her smile, and his lips turned up in response. Even though they were here worrying it felt nice to have a semi-normal conversation and to not have someone treating him like he was fragile. He missed all of the before times when they had been so young - and probably a little too naive - and this felt like a small piece of that. Grinning cheekily he shrugged, ”Oh you know, it wasn’t that bad,” his tone was teasing but he quickly followed it up with, ”But in all honesty, I don’t think I could do it again, and I’m happy to have you leading by my side.” Not wanting to keep up with any more serious talk Viorel dipped back below the water.

Taking a moment in the quiet flow he closed his eyes and sucked in a mouthful of water. Popping back out he squirted it in Clover’s direction before ducking back below the waves. Let’s see her try to get him now.