484 Users Online
Google, Bing

Here by my side — Sanguine Cove 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Flywolf who has 606 posts.
Sanguine Cove I. Leader
Nash Eastfall
For @Aquene please <3>

There was still smoke, and @Eclypse was still weak... as were their more senior pack members. Nash checked in with them at the den every day, bringing gifts and offering his wife a reprieve from providing care. Their relationship had begun, he felt, the day he'd promised to make sure she took time off, and she made that same promise in return. He hadn't forgotten it, especially now they each had so many more responsibilities.

He'd never thought of their lives as 'easy', but looking back... those did seem to be simpler times.

Today as he checked in with the den, he gestured for his wife to follow him out. Eclypse would be fine for a few minutes on her own, and Nash wanted privacy. "I need your opinion," he said quietly, stopping to sit just far enough from the den mouth to speak privately while being close enough to hear if their youngest needed help.

(This post was last modified: Sep 15, 2023, 10:38 PM by Nash.)

Played by Tasha who has 349 posts.
Sanguine Cove III. Shaman
Aquene Slayer

Aquene had been grateful for his reminders to take care of herself. As a healer, she had always struggled most with separating herself from her work. Nash’s constant reminders felt much like her husband acting as her healer in many ways. It was what she needed, especially as she fretted over both her daughter and her mother-in-law at the same time. It was stressful, with the smoke in the air. She was grateful that it had lightened a bit, but still sought for it to be eradiated completely.

As he poked his head in the den, she would offer him a gentle smile, moving away from her tending to follow him out. She knew he would not stop her from her work completely lest it were important. She would gently nuzzle along his neck in a greeting as he said that he needed her opinion. “Of course, my Love. What is it?” Her voice was soft, if a little raspy from the effects that the smoke had on her.

Aquene Slayer
[Image: jNJyCis.png]
Sanguine Cove I. Leader
Nash Eastfall

She followed and Nash leaned into her caress, returning it with one of his own and a kiss to her crown. He allowed himself a moment to just enjoy her presence with the privacy of just the two of them. He felt like they rarely got time to themselves anymore. Between leading the pack, raising their children, and Aquene caring for their elderly and sick while Nash watched the borders and checked the caches, they were both so terribly busy.

And he was about to add to it. "I would like to visit Paradise Falls before winter hits," he said. "I... would like to check in on my brother, and even though we sent Leo and Magg I thought it would be good to pay a visit as a leader." He was still worried about Chan, especially with the way they'd parted. Nash didn't think there would be any bad blood... but it was important to him to make sure his older brother knew how much he loved him. "I thought I could take Matos with me, and maybe Diantha since they didn't get to go last time." He would have wanted to take Galen, if the lad hadn't disappeared. The leader worried about him, but he was nearly an adult and Nash couldn't spare the time to spend hours each day searching for him. He was a capable young man; he would be okay.

Aquene Slayer

It was hard to find these moments, but she was glad when they could. They operated in unison, and yet they operated almost separate of each other all the same. There was a gentle look in her eyes as he approached the topic of a visit. Her thoughts on Chan were mixed, a deep sense of guilt that had filled her as she thought of the way he had snapped at her during their last encounter… the way he accused her of projecting onto others. “I agree… it is important to visit them.” There was a gentle pause as she considered it fully.

“Matos and Diantha could use the experience… I still need to visit the Backwater but with the smoke I still haven’t had the time to leave the mountain. I believe it is something I should still do alone. Why don’t you go to Paradise Falls, and then when you return we can assess when I can head down the mountain to meet with our strained counterparts to the West?”

Aquene Slayer
Sanguine Cove I. Leader
Nash Eastfall

To his relief Aquene agreed on both fronts. He had some reservations taking two yearlings on such a long journey, but it wouldn't be fair to take only one. Matos would have been the clear choice, given how hard he'd been working, but since the boy was his own son and he'd sent his daughter on the first trip... well, he didn't want to give the appearance of favoritism. Should he take only Diantha, he might damage his relationship with Matos, or the boy's faith in his parents. He didn't want to do either, and hard work deserved a reward.

And Diantha had been through so much already.

He nodded as his wife spoke. "I agree. I would prefer you make the trip before the snows hit, or at the very least before they grow too heavy." he paused. While it certainly would be best for Aquene to arrive at the Backwater alone, he didn't like the idea of her travelling by herself. Chan's warnings echoed in his mind even now. "Would you consider taking @Leo with you? He can hang back so you may approach the borders and meet them on your own, but have a companion for your trip itself."

Aquene Slayer

She had done her best to balance her worries as a mother with her knowledge as an educator. She knew the teens could use the experience to learn and grow, and yet she would always worry about her children, and all of the children in the pack, of which she saw the two yearlings as still to be. She would gentle offer a nuzzle to his shoulder. Taking them both would be fine. They were old enough that they could help defend in case of a fight, and help to hunt to ensure they all remained full-bellied. She had confidence that her husband could rein them in if they got too rowdy.

He was a good father, with plenty of experience of his own as well. “It would be best for it to happen sooner rather than later.” She would pause for a moment as he asked of Dead Empress Backwater. She sighed, a conflicted look on her features. “I worry bringing anyone with me will appear to be a sign of aggression. They know me, and they know I am not a fighter. I am a healer through and through, and they’ve been through so much. The relationship is strained… even smelling him on my fur as we travel might be enough to set them off. I do not know how consumed by their grief they may still be.” It wasn’t a no, but more of her airing her concerns.

Aquene Slayer
Sanguine Cove I. Leader
Nash Eastfall

Nash understood his wife's concerns. Viorel had become... unreasonable was a charitable way to put it. Nash had been afraid the man would grow violent in the moment, and was worried Chan might be in danger when he delivered Sephrina to them. Clover was a more level head and would hopefully answer the call, and as a fellow healer might be more open to Aquene... but he was still concerned for her safety.

"Your apprehensions are valid," he agreed finally, "but so much can happen between here and there, and with everything that's happened this year... I just want you to be safe." He gently touched his nose to her cheek. "It's not the Backwater I'm worried about so much as the animals on the mountainside. They seem to have it out for us." He thought of Auburn, pushed into the pit by a goat. He thought of Aleister, murdered by a cougar. He thought of Magg, wounded by a lynx, his own battle with a cat in years prior. He thought of stampedes, of snapping turtles, of bears, and he took a deep breath as he tucked his face into Aquene's neck. "I don't know what I'd do if I lost you," he murmured.

Aquene Slayer

Aquene felt the weight of Nash's concerns, and as he nuzzled her, she leaned into the comforting touch. The connection they shared was deep, and she understood the worry that came with the unpredictable nature of their world.

"I know, my love," Aquene whispered, "your concerns about the dangers we might encounter, and I appreciate your care for my safety. It means everything to me." She took a moment to collect her thoughts before continuing, "I'll do my best to navigate the delicate situation with Dead Empress Backwater. Perhaps if I approach alone, it will be less threatening. Clover might be more receptive to my presence without the added tension of a group. And if there's any sign of danger, I'll turn back immediately. Our family's safety is my priority."

Aquene lifted her head, meeting Nash's gaze with a determined yet affectionate look. "But please, know that I won't take unnecessary risks. We'll tread carefully, and with luck, we'll make it through unscathed. After all, we've faced challenges before, and together, we've overcome them." She gently nuzzled Nash in return, reaffirming their unity in the face of uncertainty.

Aquene Slayer
Sanguine Cove I. Leader
Nash Eastfall

Nash listened and his concern still twisted in his gut, but he finally took a deep breath and leaned back to offer her a tired smile. "It's clear I'm not going to change your mind," he said, his voice full of resigned affection. Her determination and strength were two of the things he loved most about her. He pressed his nose against her cheek again and then offered a small kiss to the spot. "Just... please be so careful. Not just with them but the mountain... and promise me you'll call for Clover specifically?" He looked into her eyes, earnest and worried. "She's the more level-headed of the two, and she's not the one who lost a child."

He had to suppress a shudder as he remembered the look on @Viorel 's face when Nash told him what had happened to Sephrina... and the thought of receiving the same news about his own child or wife. The Backwater's reaction was understandable.

"I love you," he murmured.

(This post was last modified: Dec 21, 2023, 01:47 AM by Nash.)

Aquene Slayer

Aquene felt the warmth of Nash's tired smile and the soft press of his nose against her cheek, his affectionate gesture echoing his concerns. She reciprocated the kiss, savoring the connection that went beyond words. The love they shared was a source of strength, a bond that held them together in the face of challenges.

"I promise, Nash," Aquene replied, her gaze unwavering as she met his earnest eyes. "I'll be cautious, and I'll call for Clover specifically. I understand the weight of her loss, and I'll approach the situation with the utmost sensitivity. Our family's safety is paramount, and I won't take any unnecessary risks."

She nuzzled Nash once more, the gesture filled with reassurance. "I love you too, with all my heart. We'll get through this, just like we always do. Trust in our strength, both as individuals and as mates. When I return, we'll share the triumphs and face whatever challenges may come our way together." Aquene pressed against Nash, savoring the comfort of their closeness before preparing to face the uncertainties that awaited her.

Aquene Slayer