Bing, Google

And in the night, we'll wish this never ends — Dead Empress Backwater 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Greyer who has 134 posts.
Dead Empress Backwater V. Medic
Oleander Valle
For @Sage. Just letting the two catch up and then some!~

March 4th; Late evening, almost nightfall; Clear Sky; -20.29° F, -29.05° C

Oleander had heard about Sage's hunts in passing. Mostly from Anatole, who had arrived home from a scouting trip a few nights ago. He thought nothing of it when the man sought out his company, only that it was very kind of the Gerau to keep him in the know.

So far, it seemed he had not been called in to practice as a Medic. No wounds or sprains or cuts or other maladies. Which was a good thing. Perhaps Sage was showing off her skills with flying colors. Or... somewhere in the Backwater, injured pack members were trying to cope on their own. Oleander hoped the latter was not a reality.

Those things aside, Clover and Viorel's son had more pressing things in mind. With the pack hedged under a total breeding ban, Oleander was grateful. He expected he would not be subjected to the need for grandchildren from his parents... and he would not need to be at anyone's beck and call for cub deliveries. There would be plenty of lavender and other herbs stored up for the rest of the year. And, lastly, the ban meant everything was at a standstill... meaning he had a chance to steady himself as an individual and think hard about Sage.

About what life would look like for them as a couple...if they could even be considered that. Or if they had been one at all, to begin with. He had not seen her in a while now.

He followed her recent scent back from the wilderness and into pack territory. Past the pack den, he prowled through the bits of green that had sprung up through the snow and mud. Now and then, he took a deep inhale, wondering how close she was and how long it was going to take him to find her.
Played by WildFlower who has 127 posts.
Inactive V. Subordinate
Sage Hervok
SAGE HERVOK

She was feeling weak and embarrassed, how could she not keep pushing herself to prove her worth? Her body was failing her. Had the last hunt simply been too much? Ashamed of herself the woman had sought out privacy away from the den, deep within the territory, and far from prying eyes. She'd found a comfortable enough spot to curl herself into a tight ball. Everything ached. Her muscles from the hunt, her pride, her belly. She whimpered to herself while curling more tightly into her unkempt fur. She'd been too tired after the hunt to keep up with her appearance. As soon as they'd returned home the she-wolf had sought out rest and privacy.

The breeding ban had meant nothing to Sage. It didn't affect her in the slightest, she had much more important matters on her mind. At least, in her opinion, earning a role was of greater value than bringing in a new generation. She was far from ready to be a mother. To prove herself and become a dependable hunter though? That was her only goal. So much so that she'd allowed her fledging relationship to fall to the wayside with little regret. Of course, there were moments she'd catch wind of him and her heart would ache. She thoroughly missed her pale medic, but she assumed he too must've been busy. There was always much to do in the pack lands with so many almost yearlings running around causing mayhem.

Another wave of pain left the woman gritting her teeth loudly. Then her ear flickered at the sound of approaching paw steps. Normally she would've minded her manners, but a low throaty warning growl was issued. It cut through the air and lifted in volume the closer the intruder came. The sound only tapered off with a grumble when his scent reached her. Her heart fluttered, cheeks warming from a mixture of feelings. "I'm sorry, I didn't realize it was you." She called out in a shameful whisper.

[Image: SWS_MostLikelytoGetTogether_tri.png] Dead Empress Backwater [Image: SWS_MostEndearingMoment_tri.png]

Oleander Valle
In the distance, his pale ears heard her whine. He kept his lips sealed and he continued following along her seemingly aimless path. Her scent began to grow stronger, but he did not even get the chance to dip his head to double-check. A warning growl off to his right gave him a start, sending his spidery legs skittering away to one side.

"I'm sorry, I didn't realize it was you."

His ears had flattened and his tail had curved beneath him. A paw lifted and hung in mid-step as though he had accidentally stepped on her. "Oh!" he exhaled, gritting his teeth. "Sorry I didn't see you there." The wince on his face was more of an apology than his expressing pain or discomfort.

He placed his forepaw back on the ground, his golden eyes looking her over in the day's last light. It was obvious she was not feeling well, and given the time of the year, he knew better than to ask if everything was fine. Oleander prided himself on possessing both intuition and manners.

Uncertain if she would allow him closer, he simply stood, relaxing at his elbows and ankles so as not to lord over her. She was his superior and there were unspoken rules of conduct that had to be heeded. "I have a small bit of lavender left," he offered, his voice lowering to a more casual tone and volume. "In my den. If you'd like it." Maybe that would help since he did want to talk to her at length about some things...
they say pray it away, i swear,
OLEANDER VALLE
that I'll never be a saint, no way
Inactive V. Subordinate
Sage Hervok
SAGE HERVOK

Guilt wrenched a knife into her heart and twisted as the man jumped away. Her ears flattened apologetically as a loud whine left the wolf. She observed his body language and how his tail was tucked, wondering if it was submission or shock. "It's okay, you didn't step on me." She replied in a hushed tone laced with pain.

She knew better than to disregard her position over him, but in that brief moment, Sage desired more than anything for him to come closer. She could care less for his display of being beneath her in the hierarchy. The woman leaned forward so that they were almost touching noses, her face twisting into a grimace from the movement, "I've missed you, Ollie." Her voice was a whisper as she uttered the confession.

His offer was met with a considerate nod as she weighed her options. It seemed better than choosing to simply rot and decay alone. She carefully lifted up to her paws with a groan. A sharp jolt furthering her agony. She looked to him pleadingly, "May I lean on you?" She knew she could walk..she just...wanted to feel secure next to him.

"SPEAK."

[Image: SWS_MostLikelytoGetTogether_tri.png] Dead Empress Backwater [Image: SWS_MostEndearingMoment_tri.png]

Oleander Valle
"It's okay, you didn't step on me," she assured him. Oleander was only half-convinced. "I've missed you, Ollie." Here, his tail gave a brief wag, and upon hearing his offer accepted, he turned to head towards his den. She stopped him, "May I lean on you?"

His ears remained tucked into his skull, but he nodded without hesitation. Had his winter pelt been any fluffier, they might have disappeared. He swiveled around to face her again. The corners of his mouth twitched. She seemed so fragile now than when he saw her last. As much as it pained him, he supposed having her with him was best. He could keep a close eye on her.

Rather than attempting to carry on the conversation now, he kept still. His ears lifted as he watched and waited for her to sidle up to his flank. He moved only when she seemed ready, beginning the short trek back through the heart of the territory. His eyes remained on the ground in front of them as they walked and he made sure to keep his pace slow and steady. The groan that came from her as she initially stood up was enough to make him worry. In his head, he fought with himself, angry for thinking that now could be a time to discuss some serious things.
OLEANDER VALLE
Inactive V. Subordinate
Sage Hervok
Dandilions by Ruth B. feels like a dreamy Sage falling for Ollie vibe <3

SAGE HERVOK

He obliged to her request and she approached, their furs mingling together. His touch felt like electricity coursing through her veins. Her insides both exploded and melted at the proximity. She pressed into him, for so long she had fought to get too close. Now that she understood better that this was okay she didn't hold back. Her heart echoed in her ears.

Sage noted his considerate steps, her chest fluttering at the thoughtfulness. "Thank you" She whispered. She knew she didn't need to lean on him, but selfishly she wanted him close to her. Once every few steps she'd wince and whine while they walked. Sharp cramps sent jolts through her abdomen.

The warmth he granted her kept her mind off the cold but held nothing against her pain. If only they were closer to his herb stash, then perhaps he could fix that too.  His winter pelt was soft and lush, and like his golden eyes, she felt it were possible to become lost within. The hormones might've been to blame but Oleander was on a pedestal in her mind. He may have been the pack's medic, but he was her protector.

Oleander Valle
"Thank you," she whispered.

Oleander couldn't think of anything else to say. He was beating himself up, organizing his thoughts, and listening for her whimpers all at once. If it had been up to him, he might've wished they could close their eyes and appear at the mouth of his den by magic. Magic was for cubs, though and he was too much of a realist now to put stock in it.

After what seemed like ages, his tree with the windy roots emerged. A slight nuzzle of his nose to her temple told her to wait. He dove into the bed of scattered leaves, scrounging about until he found the lavender sprigs. The purple flowers were faded and the whole of it was brittle and dry, but it was better than nothing. He placed it on the ground before ducking inside and turning about so he faced the outside. There was just enough room for the two of them - and, he rather liked it that way.

"Make yourself comfortable. However you'd like." It wasn't an order, but a request. He watched her, anticipation building in his gut. "I can lay next to you or sprawl across the opening if you prefer or get too cold."
OLEANDER VALLE
Inactive V. Subordinate
Sage Hervok
SAGE HERVOK

At last his den was within sight. A breath of relief. She leaned into the brief touch, watching as he entered his comfy abode. He wasted no time in finding the herb. Sage closed in, leaning forward to grasp it with her teeth. She munched down on the familiar flavor and her eyes shut. It brought her back to memories of spring when the flowers would be fresh and abundant. If she had to choose, lavender would be her second favorite. Medical, beautiful, and heavenly scented.

She smiled at the invitation, her tail swaying slowly. Her smile faded with his next words. Was this still appropriate? She wanted to, she really did, but accusations were dangerous. She felt strongly that the pair could uphold pack law. At least, she knew she didn't want children. Oleander had never shown interest in the pups that she'd seen of. Sage made up her mind. She stepped into the shelter, ducking her head away from the roots, and found a spot nestled into him. Her smaller frame curled within his larger. Her cheeks burned hot, her belly doing summersaults.

"T-thank you for the lavender." Nervously she leaned back into him and rested her head on his shoulder.

Oleander Valle
Oleander observed her and noted her every move. He even took care to mind where his legs were while she wormed her way into his den. A part of him wondered what her pain was like... what it would be like if he could take it away within himself. If only a Medic were even capable of such a thing.

He stretched out his neck and let out a yawn as she thanked him for the lavender. "Yeah," was all he could muster. Laying there together, he couldn't help but feel like they... fit? Was that even the word? His golden eyes, rendered a muddy brown in the dark, focused on where her body sunk into his bed of leaves. He wondered how to broach such a finicky topic, but there were questions he needed answers to. And, while he didn't need them now-now, he was antsy to know where they stood.

"Sage?" her name left his tongue like a little gust of wind. "Are you... okay to talk?" It was probably stupid to ask, but he wanted to be considerate. He lifted his gaze to the fur along her jawline, waves of heat inching down his spine. There was a lengthy pause on his part and he had to clear his throat to get the words out. "I've... missed you. I've been worried 'bout how you've been."

Maybe it was his insecurity talking. Oleander couldn't be sure. "Are we still good? You an' me?"
OLEANDER VALLE
Inactive V. Subordinate
Sage Hervok
SAGE HERVOK

He was so warm. She nestled into his soft fur with a sleepy sort of noise. Aside from her pain, she felt content, safe, and comfortable. She could spend every hour like this with him if it weren't for duties. Then again, she felt that same way about fishing. What did that mean? She didn't need to figure it out now. Her eyes slowly closed.

She'd just begun to drift off when her name was spoken. Her ears pricked and she lifted her head, this wasn't his usual tone. "Yes, is something wrong?" Her expressive eyes held concern. She waited in silence until he spoke again. "I've missed you too." She leaned forward to lick his cheek, "I'm sorry to worry you. I don't know what's wrong...the other women..." She trailed off. Eyes cast downwards as she thought about it before whispering, "I don't smell like them." Sage didn't want children now or anytime soon. Someday though, maybe? She couldn't be certain given how gross they were. The idea of not being able to make that choice someday saddened her. It wasn't about kids, more so than that she didn't get a say.

His next question caught her off guard. She shifted to meet his golden gaze. He looked so vulnerable and she wanted to make it better. To reassure him."Yes" Would that be enough? Sage was unsure and didn't know what more she could do.