526 Users Online
Bing, Google

love comes slow, and it goes so fast — Firefly Grove 
Print · · Subscribe · 1 Loves ·
Played by Van who has 70 posts.
Lone Wolf No Rank
Noriaki Eastfall-Koizumi
The right person wrong time trope :,) this one hurt a little

I know, I just.. I thought about you so much. About us. What we could’ve been..

Could’ve been? Nori had let herself get lost in the feeling of having him so close, like she’d wanted for so long now. The past tense in his words had her racking her brain - couldn’t they still? Why couldn’t it be what we could be? There wasn’t any reason why-

Oh.

She’d been too quick to lean into him - this was too good to be true.

There was someone else.

The way he stepped away from her confirmed it. He wasn’t far - just out of reach. If she stepped forward, she could still press into him again.

But she didn’t.

Nori remained where she was and tried not to look like her chest felt like it was caving in. Like her eyes weren’t burning and like she didn’t want the earth to open up and swallow her whole.

Nothing had ever hurt like this before - this perceived rejection. It would have been easier if he’d told her to leave straight away, but now that she knew what it was like to bury herself into his fur, to indulge in being close to him…

Part of her screamed that it wasn’t fair. Misplaced anger crept up in her chest in an attempt to squish the hurt, but it was short lived. It wasn’t his fault, if he’d moved on. It wasn’t her fault, for not being there. It just wasn’t meant to be. It was as simple as that.

It didn’t mean that it wasn’t absolutely devastating.

There was a lump in her throat that threatened to choke her. “You don’t have to thank me for anything. All I did was…,” love you, “…be your friend. It wasn’t hard,” she whispered, still unable to look away from him. She wanted to, desperately, but she couldn’t, and it hurt so badly. “I’m really happy for you. Really,” she continued. She could do that - be happy for him. She wasn’t so much of a piece of shit that she couldn’t at least pretend to. A smile plastered on her face, and she hoped it wasn’t as strained as it felt. “I’m glad you’ve had a good life.”

A few years ago, she would’ve asked him to leave whoever he was with without a second thought. I could make you happier. The words were still there, on the tip of her tongue. Stay with me instead.

But she was older now. Less bold, less confident. But no less selfish.

“We could’ve…” she began, swallowing hard against the tears threatening to build in her eyes. “We could’ve had a good life, too, I think. Together.” She wouldn’t ask for it - wouldn’t stoop so low, - but she desperately needed that reassurance, now. “It would’ve been nice, wouldn’t it?”

It was cruel of her to ask, probably toward the both of them. But Nori needed this much, at least. Needed to know that he felt the same.

I could’ve made you happy.

We could’ve had children.

They could’ve had your eyes.

We could’ve grown older together.

You could’ve loved me, too.

That reassurance was all she needed, she told herself. Even if it wasn’t true.
(This post was last modified: Apr 24, 2024, 04:43 AM by Nori.)
Played by Molo who has 474 posts.
Paradise Falls XIII. Subordinate
Jethrᴏ Kane
m for a lil cursing.

<\3 but I still love these two!

Jethro thought he could see hurt in her eyes. She felt the same as him, wanted all of the same things. Seeing the pain in her eyes, hearing it in her words was almost enough to make the dark one to reconsider. Just run off with her, leave everything behind, and start all over again. Wasn't that what he was already sorely tempted to do, anyways? Paradise Falls didn't feel like home anymore, and it would be so easy...

But he remembered how Finley had looked, out in that field. Or the pain he'd felt when she'd told him about Atara... she misses you, we looked every day. As great as his love was for Nori, nobody and nothing would ever rival what he felt for his daughter. He wouldn't hurt her, not by leaving or hurting her mother.

Nori insisted that he didn't have to thank her though. That she'd just been a friend. Gently, he shook his head to that. "You are so much more than that." There wasn't much else he could say to that, though. Nori's words were undoubtedly pained, but he believed she meant them to. Jethro returned her smile, a genuine one, but sad as well.

But it faltered a little as she continued. We could've had a good life, too.. would've been nice..

Jet, too, had to blink to fight back tears. But he didn't turn away from her, and instead nodded slowly. "We could've. And it would've been nice." Better than anything else, probably. The best. It helped a little more to know she felt the same, even if what both of them wanted could not be.

The dark one took a breath then, shifting another step back, as an inkling of a smirk started to pull across his countenance. "On the other paw, though.." he started, eyes alight with humor, trying to shift things away from regret and sadness. Hoping he could. "I don't know. You're pretty stubborn. And I'm still kind of an ass. You really think we would've worked out?"

Jethro was sure they could've, at least now, after all the maturing he'd done. But back then? He hadn't been anywhere near ready for love or packs or pups.
Lone Wolf No Rank
Noriaki Eastfall-Koizumi
So do I! <3

You are so much more than that.

We could’ve.

It would’ve been nice.

She didn’t know if the confirmation made her feel better or worse. They felt the exact same way, wanted the exact same things, but it was simply too late. Not the right time. She wondered if it ever would have been a good time for them - if she hadn’t fallen, if she had been able to stay.

Nori hadn’t expected to ever be able to be with Jet - not really. Not until just now.

And it hurt.

But would she have wanted him in the first place, if he’d left whoever he had now the moment Nori came back? The worst part of her whispered yes, and maybe it was true, but it might not be just that Jet had a mate. Maybe he had pups, or even pups on the way. Snatching him away from a partner was one thing, and Nori wasn’t sure she was a good enough person not to do that. But the idea of ruining someone’s entire family made her feel sick.

In a way, his loyalty made her feel even worse. He was a good mate, clearly, if turning away from her was just as upsetting for him as it was for Nori. If he wanted her just as badly as she wanted him, and had the strength to pull away.

Nori wasn’t sure she had the same amount of loyalty in her. Maybe she’d never know.

She couldn’t say anything else - was far too choked up to continue - when he spoke again. Her ears perked up and her brows furrowed at the change in his tone.

On the other paw, though…

For a moment, she just stood still, absorbing his next statement. It was colored with humor, likely an attempt to lighten the mood - end their reunion on a happier note. And it worked, at least a little. It didn’t do much for the aching in Nori’s chest or the sudden exhaustion she felt, but it did get her to at least stop acting like the world was ending.

Nori huffed, lifting her chin and closing her eyes. “Rude,” she accused, cutting a glance at him from the corner of her eye. “You treat a lady so well and then accuse her of being stubborn?” A small smirk played on her maw. “I’d expect nothing less from a forest demon.”

The hurt was still there - might always be, even - but maybe this wasn’t a goodbye? Even if she couldn’t really have him, have this life with him, maybe there was a possibility they could still remain friends.
Jethrᴏ Kane
He waited with half bated breath, hoping beyond mere hope that his interjection of humor wasn’t misplaced. That it wouldn’t be misconstrued and subsequently destroy any hope of even maintaining a friendship. Just because he couldn’t have Nori like that didn’t mean.. they had to part ways forever, a second time..

But then, she lifted her chin. Rude, she spat back, in a way that was reminiscent of how they had treated one another all those years ago. The old Nori was still in there, somewhere. Maybe with a little work, he could get that to emerge. And they could at least go back to being the friends they’d once been.

His smile broadened. ”You know it - but I don’t accuse. I just speak the truth,” he retorted, reminded again of that very first meeting.

I don’t taste good.

I bet - he’d said. Excuse me?

He’d despised her at the time. Who would’ve known things would come full circle almost three years later?

”In my defense though, I did a good job with my daughter. She’s a regular little angel. Looks almost like me,” he couldn’t help but brag just a little. Of course, seeing as how he was her dad, he was also probably quite biased. But Jet didn’t particularly care.

His next request though, he approached with more care. ”I’d.. love for you to meet her though. Maybe.. my wife, too. Someday. If you decide to stick around.”

I hope you do. We don’t have to pull apart completely, he wanted to say. They could stay friends, and still be in each other’s life. Laughing, talking, joking, and remembering old times. He couldn’t help wondering what Atara’s reaction would be to Nori. Or what she would’ve been like if Finley weren’t her mother..
Lone Wolf No Rank
Noriaki Eastfall-Koizumi
It was the truth, and they both knew it, but this was a song and dance Nori was familiar with. “How dare you,” she huffed, falling back in with what felt natural to her. It was easier to put on a face like this, to pretend it was all fine. “My soul is good and pure. I would never be stubborn.” Stubborn and a liar, it seemed.

This was fine. She could do this. They’d done this before, after all, for a very long time before life had taken them in different directions.

Why did it have to change?

He spoke of his daughter then, and Nori was proven correct. It wasn’t just that he had a mate. An angel, he said - one that looked like Jet.

“You, raising a little angel? I’d have to see it to believe it,” she said, secretly a bit delighted to be invited to meet the girl. It was nice to hear Jet brag about her - to be proud of the life he had. It was something worth going back to.

But… he only bragged about the pup - didn’t even mention his wife until afterward. Something that didn’t sit quite right with her, ignited a little flame of indignation in her chest.

He was going back to this wolf, choosing her, so he should be proud of her at the very least. Meeting his wife didn’t sound like something Nori actually wanted, but she would do it if she had to - to be civil. It wasn’t like the other woman had done anything wrong, after all.

So why wasn’t Jethro bragging about her?

Nori shrugged her shoulder and turned her gaze back to him. “I’d like to meet them both sometime,” she replied - a half truth. “I’m traveling with a friend right now, and I think we might head back up here soon.” She didn’t want to bring up Archer’s daughter - that would be for her companion to do, himself.

“What’s your wife like?” she asked, because she was nosy and couldn’t help it. There wasn’t as much jealousy in her as she thought she’d feel - just this sort of hollow acceptance and a numbness that had taken over her emotions. That was probably for the best right now, as long as they were still talking. She could deal with the feelings part later.
Jethrᴏ Kane
She replied indignantly again - how dare you, my soul is good and pure.. the woman argued. Jethro only shrugged and smirked, knowing that she knew she was proving exactly the opposite. Then it was his turn to huff, playfully of course, as his old friend expressed doubt about the claims made regarding Atara. "See? We'd have never worked. You don't even trust me.." he pouted, though a wry grin and a wink indicated it was all in good humor.

It made it a little easier to deal with the pain, seeing how easily they could at least fall back to joking with and teasing one another. That was a large part of what he had missed, and the dark man was quite glad that Nori hadn't lost her fire either.

The wry smile he wore broadened though as she accepted the invitation to meet his family. Despite his.. misgivings around Paradise Falls right now, he'd be quite proud to show them off. And the pack territory, as well. Traveling with a friend.. back up here soon. So it wouldn't be immediate, but he was okay with that. They both probably needed time, still. There would be a lot of thoughts and emotions to process later.

Still, his mind stuck on the friend part. "This wolf.. are they.. just a friend?" He asked, unable to help himself, even though he was pretty sure he knew the answer.

Jethro tipped his head a little though, as Nori asked about his wife. He hadn't.. been intending to go there, unsure if doing so would be to rub an unnecessary level of salt to currently fresh wounds. But if she wanted to know...

"Finley. She's.. my rock. Loyal, kind, smart, resilient, refined.." his eyes took on something of a dreamy look. Jet found that listing off the qualities he admired about her made him want to go back all the more. And more convinced that he'd made the right choice here. "She's everything I could've wanted. An excellent mom, and... insanely beautiful."

That'd never made much of a difference. But he had to admit, it was rather nice.
Lone Wolf No Rank
Noriaki Eastfall-Koizumi
A laugh escaped her then, a bit more genuine than the emotion she’d been displaying before. “Can never trust a demon,” she agreed, shrugging her shoulders and shaking her head. “Such a shame, really. Try not to take it too hard, though.” As if she were the one rejecting him - as though it was somehow his loss. The smile on her face, though teasing, had a softness to it. In all honesty, she didn’t know which of them would be more hurt by this, or if he was feeling the same ache in his chest that she was.

It surprised her a little - how much she still wanted to be his friend. Rejection, even this gentle, was hard, but she loved him, and in spite of everything, she didn’t think she could just walk away and pretend this never happened. She wanted to be part of his life, whatever that entailed, and the conflicting feelings of heartbreak and warmth were confusing her.

She could figure it out, once she wasn’t standing right in front of him, and he was looking at her the way she’d always wanted him to.

This wolf… are they… just a friend?

Her mind flicked back to Archer, and she felt a different kind of warmth. His presence was still new to her, but she did enjoy being around him, and she admired his dedication and how hard he was trying - both to find Ally and even to indulge Nori’s less-than-gentle caretaking. She had a lot to learn about him, of course, but she hoped they were on their way to becoming friends. Archer was attractive to boot, too, but Nori wasn’t interested in using him as some kind of fucked up rebound. That wouldn’t be fair.

Jet’s reaction was a little funny, though, and Nori couldn’t help but tease. “Why? Is someone jealous?” she hummed, a smirk on her maw. “I can’t see how that would be any concern of a married man’s.” She softened a little, then, glancing off to the side. “But if you must know, yes. We’re just friends.”

Listening to him list off his mate’s positive traits had Nori feeling a little bit like a fish being gutted, but she was surprised to find that she was happy for him - and offended on the other woman’s behalf.

“Good,” she said, nodding her head. “She sounds great.” Nori’s eyes hardened then, fixing him with a stern stare. “So be good to her. You could stand to brag about her a little more, even. I wanna hear about how she’s the most beautiful thing you’ve ever seen,” she announced, and then sobered a little, shame prickling at her fur when she thought about how they’d embraced just a few moments ago.

Her throat had tightened again, so she cleared it, tilting her head up haughtily. “And you better not go around snuggling random girls out in the woods, being someone’s husband and all.” It was a bit of a scolding, even though her words were tinged with humor. It wasn’t fair to this Finley otherwise, and Nori hated to think about what might’ve happened if she and Jet hadn’t stepped apart.

“I am happy for you, though. Really,” she assured, shoulders sagging a little. It still felt miserable, but… “I’m happy you found someone who’s so good for you. I’m happy you’re happy.”
(This post was last modified: Apr 27, 2024, 04:06 PM by Nori.)
Jethrᴏ Kane
Can’t trust a demon.. she played it off, earning a wry smile and a soft chuckle. A part of Jet, though.. found it almost demeaning now. The dark one hadn’t thought of himself like that in so long, that being brought back to it, even by someone he cared about was just a tad distasteful, too.

”Those demons don’t own me anymore,” he spoke softly. A gentle pushback, but also not meant to be truly argumentative. It’d been a lot of demons that had owned him back then, at least in the metaphorical sense. And he didn’t think they’d ever completely disappear. But three years and a lot of life events and milestones later, Jethro was a much changed man in every way it was possible to be. That past was something he had let go of a long time ago - but.. his friend hadn’t been around to see that transformation.

Gently, he shook his head - is someone jealous - but that turned into a small nod at the just friends remark. ”Not jealous,” he clarified. ”Just.. hopeful, for you, too.”

He wanted the same thing for Nori as everyone he cared about - to see their happiness. Even more so now, knowing he couldn’t give that to her in the ways they’d both desired.

What followed.. stung a bit. Especially the latter part. Snuggling random girls? That was also ever so slightly agitating. Jet didn’t make an effort to hide his huff, nor the mild annoyance in his counter. ”Nori.. you’re right. But I don’t need you to tell me what I already know.”

They were all things that’d gone through Jet’s thoughts already in some form, after stepping apart from Nori. He knew what he’d gotten close to doing, and how wrong it would’ve been. But they hadn’t done anything. He had caught and stopped himself in time - and didn’t need to be admonished for that.

Prideful much?

”I don’t think a friend you haven’t seen for almost three years is quite the same as some random girl either,” he added, more gently this time. Up until a few moments ago, he’d believed Nori dead. Or at the very least, never to be seen again. If there was one situation that could ever be anything close to excusable, it was that, Jet imagined.

For that aside, he’d not once ever been tempted by another woman. And as far as he was concerned, given they'd stepped apart, this was just an emotional reunion between two friends.

”Thank you, though. I am happy with her. More than that, actually,” Finley’d given him comfort and companionship when he’d needed it. Given him a family, a beautiful baby girl, and was someone he knew he could trust and rely on. ”I know you’ll find someone else, too. There’re plenty of good guys out there..”

Or so he hoped and would say, anyways. Because the evidence more often than not seemed to indicate the contrary. Guys were usually only interested in one thing from women, and it wasn’t lifelong companionship or children.
(This post was last modified: Apr 27, 2024, 07:38 PM by Jethro.)
Lone Wolf No Rank
Noriaki Eastfall-Koizumi
Those demons don’t own me anymore.

There was something in those words that sounded like the word weighed on him more than Nori had originally thought it did. She’d never actually seen him that way - had only ever used the word as a playful ribbing at best. She’d never intended on it being something to hurt.

“I’m glad,” she said quietly, lowering her head a little bit. “I won’t call you that anymore, then.” It was a simple acceptance, but she couldn’t help but feel the loss behind it. Jet wasn’t the same as he used to be, and that was a very good thing, but she hadn’t witnessed that growth, and the time lost could never come back.

There’d been no jealousy in his question either, which sent a prickle of shame down her spine, the way he handled the tease so maturely. She’d just been being dramatic, really, and playful, but she really shouldn’t have assumed. Not when he was just wanting the best for her. In lieu of a response, she just offered him a small smile.

Her ears pressed back at the visible annoyance and a new wave of discomfiture washed over her. Maybe she shouldn’t be telling him what to do, but the thought of what could’ve happened, without her knowing that he had a mate, was mortifying. She’d been halfway joking with what she’d said, but there was some truth behind it too, and she didn’t think she should be reprimanded for saying it.

Again, it was difficult to find the words to respond with, so for her part, she just stood there, briefly unable to make eye contact. Was it really bad for her to encourage him to be faithful to his mate? She’d been trying, in every sense of the word - even put herself down as some random girl to try and create a little distance. It wasn’t like she thought Jet would just do this sort of thing with anyone.

She’d been trying to be good - to do something right instead of take for herself.

Rarely ever did Nori feel lost for words, but she genuinely wasn’t sure what to say that would improve the situation, and she didn’t want to put her foot in her mouth again. “I’m sorry,” she managed, glancing back down again. “You’re right. It’s none of my business, anyway. I know you wouldn’t… I know you’re not like that.” It probably hadn’t been her place to say anything, and she inwardly cringed, feeling the phantom sensation of teeth around her maw. Maybe she should learn when to shut up.

I know you’ll find someone else, too. There’re plenty of good guys out there.”

“Eh. I’ve never had much luck with that kind of thing,” she dismissed carefully, trying not to let the awkwardness get the best of her. “It’s not something I’m too concerned about, right now.” If she did meet someone, then fine. But part of her wondered if maybe this wasn’t even an option for her - that maybe she wasn’t made for it.

It certainly didn’t feel like it.

Not wanting to sound like she was shutting the idea down entirely, Nori made sure to tack on, “But I appreciate it. And maybe you’re right.”

Nori straightened up a little and cleared her throat, offering him a small wag of her tail. “I should let you get back to your family,” she told him, a soft, uncertain smile on her face. “It was nice, to see you again.”
(This post was last modified: Apr 27, 2024, 08:27 PM by Nori.)
Jethrᴏ Kane
I’m glad - won’t call you that anymore, she spoke. Jethro would dip his nose to her again, a subtle and almost unrealized thank you. Back then, three years ago, in that forest or up at the Cove, he’d taken that label in stride. Perhaps almost considered it a compliment, even. But now…? With the initial emotion wearing off, it was almost beginning to feel like he’d left her behind.

”I’m not who I was back then. So many things have changed, Nori. But.. like I said, a lot of it is thanks to you.” Even if she hadn’t been around to see his journey and transformation from an ornery yearling to a husband, father, and former (hopefully future again) leader, she had been the one to set him on that path. Which he’d never forget.

And for perhaps the first time since he’d known her, Nori did not argue his rebuttal. At her shift in expression, Jet felt a tiny sense of remorse for snapping. She hadn’t been entirely serious, he realized. Perhaps he could’ve phrased what he’d said more gently, but it also didn’t feel entirely unwarranted. Unless, she’d been saying that stuff as..  some sort of coping mechanism?

The dark one let out a soft sigh and sat back as she apologized - sorry, none of my business. A part of him felt validated, but the other half felt guilt all the same. Jet tried to soften his expression, give a gentle shake of his head once more. ”You're right, I wouldn't.” Betray Finley, not ever. "But.. I didn't mean it quite.. like that. You were trying to look out for me, which I appreciate."

Although unspoken, he was apologetic, and would try to appreciate the advice given. Because he wouldn’t stop caring for her, even now, after all the time that’d passed. It was evident she wouldn't, either, even after all the changing he’d done, and all the catching up they still had to do.

Which Nori, possibly unwittingly? Dove into. Never had much luck with that, she expressed. And wasn’t too concerned. Jethro wasn’t quite sure he believed that, but chose to nod and go along with it anyways.

”If it’s anything like what happened with Fin and I.. it’ll happen when you least expect it, and aren’t looking.” After all, he hadn’t originally invited her to join him with the intention of trying to win her heart or being attracted to her. ”Don’t count yourself out, and don’t settle. You have a lot to offer. Any man would be lucky to have you, and he better realize that.”

It hurt saying that, but Jethro pushed through it to offer his friend a smile. One he hoped could be encouraging.

The dark one’s eyes widened a little as she moved to stand though, preparing to take her exit. ”What.. and not tell me what you’ve been up to, where you’re going? Or what plans you’ve got for yourself?”

Surely she must have something, and he was curious. He didn’t want the most of the conversation to have centered around him so far.
(This post was last modified: May 02, 2024, 04:48 AM by Jethro.)