My Heart Dances… — Heartleaf Creek 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by PuppyThief who has 180 posts.
Lone Wolf No Rank
Leo Vuesain
NOTE: Hoping for @Eros, anyone else, please message before joining <3
Backdated to:  5/28, early evening.

...But not for Joy

He headed almost straight for the Backwater, pausing only to rest briefly at the foot of the mountain, and again a day later, before crossing the creek. As he travelled, with brisk, steely steps, Magg’s description of her attacker played on repeat in his mind, keeping the anger burning hot in his chest. Nash and Aquene might feel assured that the mysterious wolf had no relation to the Valles, but Leo was not so certain. It wasn’t that he wanted to believe that Eros’ family would do such a thing, but he knew what they had been through, what they blamed the Cove for; Would I have done the same…? The fury blazing in his heart right now certainly screamed for revenge, but he didn’t think he could ever turn that against anyone other than the offender himself; Never mind a kid!

Still, he couldn’t think who else would have tried to kill his sister, not in such a calculated way, so apparently deliberate. It had to be someone with a grudge, and the Valles were the obvious answer. At the very least, someone needed to ask them directly, even if they would simply lie back in his face, he would look them in the eyes as they did. Besides, he had no other leads.

But, as angry as he was, Leo knew better than to march straight up to their borders and make demands – murderous or not, no pack leader would respond well to that, especially from someone they considered an enemy. Instead, the Vuesain circled the territory at a respectful distance, sniffing for fresh trails, hoping to confront someone on neutral ground. He told himself that any adult member of the pack would do, that it would in fact be much easier to get the answers he wanted from a veritable stranger; But of course, it was a very specific scent he hoped to find.

”Speech" Thoughts

(This post was last modified: Jun 06, 2024, 05:07 AM by Leo.)
Played by Cade who has 550 posts.
Dead Empress Backwater II. Leader
Eros Valle
YOU DON'T WANNA HURT ME, BUT SEE HOW DEEP THE BULLET LIES

Eros refused to believe that his brother was dead, and yet he'd put enough weight in the stranger's words to begin this awful venture, hadn't he? The pained voices of his family along with the woman's claims played on a scattered loop through his head every moment, their need for something concrete just as great as his. He hadn't hesitated, wouldn't think to expect this of anyone else, but there was no shaking the weight of where his legs now were taking him.

He drifted from @Achille in bouts, expecting the other to not only respect his distance but understand it, as well. Who would be anything else, on their way to unearth their sibling's grave?

But he'd find nothing. There had to be nothing. Even a true trap would be better, having to fight his way out of an ambush or some other threat, even... even his own death would be preferable to their being any veracity to the claims that Archer was gone. Eros didn't have a daughter back home, crying herself to sleep for want of the only direct family member she had left.

The wind shifted, jarring him from one misery to another. Leo. What was he doing down here, so close to Eros' home? Suspicion felt so much better to fall into than despair, and my was this a coincidence...

Eros prowled after the scent, eyes guarded even as they fell upon that familiar form. His voice would come out level, but not without an edge.

"What are you doing here?"

UNAWARE, I'M TEARING YOU ASUNDER, THUNDER IN OUR HEARTS
(This post was last modified: Jun 08, 2024, 07:21 PM by Eros.)
Lone Wolf No Rank
Leo Vuesain

You could have been my future...

He got what he was looking for, for better or worse, a strong wave of fresh scent hitting him, stopping him in his tracks moments before the voice reached his ears. They instantly flicked back at the sound, head swiveling to face his age mate. Two-colored eyes widened slightly as they landed in the other boy, brows knitting tight as a well of emotions swelled in his chest.

They had been friends once, what felt like a lifetime ago, teetering on more, but the events of the last few years had thoroughly shattered that. Now, when Leo looked at Eros, it was with suspicion, even dread as he studied the other wolf’s body language, feeling his own hackles prickle in response. The demanding tone was understandable, so close to his pack lands, but Leo still felt his temper flare at the implicit accusation in the words, teeth grinding behind his closed lips.

But despite the roiling feelings within, his voice came out flat as he answered: “Looking for you.” The words left his mouth before he had anytime to think further on the many implications they could have, and hearing them back, an internal part of him cringed, knowing how differently those words could have been meant; What they should have meant… But it was a small part, easily numbed by the anger that held him in its firm grip. That time had passed; I’m here for answers!

”Speech" Thoughts

[Image: FFeXvE1.png] [Image: LuHJBlS.png]
Eros Valle

In so many other situations, hearing Leo of all wolves say those simple words would have made his heart soar. He'd spent a majority of his life at this point wanting dearly to be singled out by the Vuesain heir and his summer-sky eyes. There was no chance this was for anything good, though. His heart was hammering with anxiety, his stomach was in painful knots. Had it really been a plot? Had they seen the recognition flicker through his eyes when they'd described a wolf so similar to his own grandfather as their mystery assailant? Why here, so close to Eros' pack and so far from his own? Why tell him Archer was on the opposing side of the mountain, then? Wasn't this unsafe, or were there more Cove wolves here?

Eros hoped the way his thoughts were scrambling was well concealed from his uninvited caller. He tried to remain unmoved in appearance, still certain that keeping his walls up was the best course of action when it came to his childhood friend.

"Yeah? Why now?" as his lips moved, they often took on the shape of something close to a sneer.

"Why wasn't it you who told me about Archer?"

Something was truly off here, the young leader was positive.

(This post was last modified: Jun 22, 2024, 10:31 PM by Eros.)
Lone Wolf No Rank
Leo Vuesain

...but I had to have it now!

Every breath seemed to take an eternity, time’s passing at glacial speed as he watched and waited. Eros looked unsettled, in a way he couldn’t quite identify, something about how he held himself, or the emotion brewing deep in those flaming eyes. Even in his enraged state, Leo struggled to keep from losing himself in that gaze, imagining the smoldering fires were made of passion rather than hatred.

The apparent bitterness in the Valle’s voice destroyed that fantasy entirely though, every word spat with a hint of teeth, as if trying to sharpen them further. It was certainly enough to hurt Leo’s heart, no matter how he had tried to steel it beforehand, but it also fueled his own anger, teeth flashing back at Eros as he clicked them in frustration. Why now? Because Magg was hurting again, because he’d lost too much and couldn’t keep ignoring it; Because there’s nothing else I can do?

But before he had time to give any of those answers, the next question sent his thoughts spinning, the frustration on his face shifting into confusion. Ears twitching forwards, his head lifted a little from its defensive position, eyes narrowing under wrinkled brows as he asked: “Told you about what? What happened to Archer?” His voice was a mix now, the anger still audible, but softened by confusion – even worry.

Once, a lifetime ago, before Eros’ gravity had inevitably pulled Leo into his orbit, it had been the darker of the Valle brother’s who drew more of the Vuesain’s attention; A family weakness I suppose… Perhaps Kateri’s betrayal had felt extra hurtful for that very reason, although that had been after Leo’s own eyes had strayed, probably sensing their growing affections. Still, with all that had happened, Leo still couldn’t be entirely ambivalent about the dark man, if nothing else, because he knew how much he meant to Eros; Was he attacked too?

”Speech" Thoughts

Eros Valle

He... really didn't know, and it caught Eros off guard. Perhaps he'd just grown to be an exceptional actor, or maybe his gut insisting Leo was being honest was just a holdover of the bias he'd felt toward him for so long. What did it mean, where would it get him, either way? Eros' throat closed in around the truth, and he swallowed subtly before answering.

"Nothing happened," he answered dismissively, giving an annoyed flick of his eyes off to the side, as though the other were being dramatic despite the emotion that had been in his own voice when asking. It was what he wanted to be the truth, even if the resulting implications did not bode well for Eros' and Achille's immediate futures. Leo not knowing his own ruse, though? His desperately-defensive paranoia was scrambling to maintain its gymnastics.

"Just where to find him. If it's not about him and Ally, what is it?"

What other connection was there left? His own mind circled back to the wolf the Cove had described to him... but his grandfather had gone a long time ago, and how could someone so aged and passive maim another wolf like they said had been done to Magg? No. Whatever happened to her, it had nothing to do with the Backwater.

Lone Wolf No Rank
Leo Vuesain

The things we love completely...

The shift was not as clean as Eros might have wanted, the brief moment of consternation showing clearly on his face before it shifted to aloof. Leo’s brows furrowed further, teeth once again grinding in frustration; What’s going on? This wasn’t a game, a chance to play on his frayed emotions like some teenage heartthrob! A moment ago, Eros had appeared genuinely upset, but now he was acting like it had all been a joke, and in his own agitated state, Leo couldn’t tell what part was real.

The sudden dismissal was enough to wipe out Leo’s concern though, anger once more taking center stage as Eros mentioned their shared niece. “Why would I know where he is?” He answered back, a clear snarl in his voice; “You already took Ally! There’s no more reason for any of you to come to the Cove anymore!” With every word, the anger flared stronger in his belly, every imagined slight against his family from the Valle’s standing out clear in his mind; All the way back to Kaeri…

Dead Empress Backwater had suffered a terrible loss, but it wasn’t their fault, and by now the Cove had felt it twice, three times over. “When’s it gonna be enough for you? How much do we need to suffer before you’ll be satisfied?” He was fully shouting now, all his hurt and anger showing openly on his face and adding a feint tremble to his voice; “We’ve tried to make it up to you, over and over, but it’s never enough, is it? Do we all have to die before you’ll be happy?” It took all his strength to stay put as he spewed all that pend up emotion at his old friend, every muzzle tensed like a spring begging to be set free. He didn’t want to hurt Eros, he couldn’t, but someone had to pay!

”Speech" Thoughts

Eros Valle

Eros also didn't expect the emotion that Leo now responded to him with, giving him multiple points around which there was apparently contention. His brow twisted and furrowed as a variety of emotions passed through, but most present of all was confusion. While his posture did not budge under the pressure of Leo's heat, his ears did fold backward. At that last question, he couldn't hold back his own voice any longer.

"What are you talking about?!"

It had to be Nash's daughter, right? What else could it be? The Backwater held a grudge for sure, but they had done nothing to retaliate. This amount of fury though, it couldn't all be over a cold shoulder, or even Ally's placement. Or... did something else happen? He couldn't help the concern that began tinging his voice. He wanted to step forward, but kept his legs rigidly still instead.

What had pushed him to this?

"Leo, what is going on?"

Lone Wolf No Rank
Leo Vuesain

...We are fated to destroy.

His feelings were in full flare now, bursting from him without control - all of them, however justified, propelled directly at Eros. Leo was hurting, but more importantly, his whole family was hurting, everyone he loved, who was still alive, was in pain and he had to do something. That was why he had come here, to confront someone, and that he did, gasping heavily as his tirade finished.

But it just had to be Eros! Anyone else, and he would have held his composure, laid out his accusations clean and straight. And anyone else would have answered him with the same steadiness, all business, denying their involvement or taking responsibility, whatever it may be. But they wouldn’t have looked at him with concern in those piercing, coral eyes and sounded so genuinely worried, even if the question was stupid.

Leo’s heart wrenched in his chest, his own emotions twisting as he looked at his childhood friend. Despite the apparent honesty in the question, he refused to believe Eros’ show of ignorance, flashing his teeth defiantly. You know!He shouted, but to his own great mortification, tears brimmed in his eyes, a clear tremble making its way into his weakening voice; “You know…” This wasn’t the confrontation he’d imagined at all, there was no redemption in this!

Breathing labored, the guardian shook his head, trying to regain his composure. But the anger was seeping from him like blood from a wound, his whole body trembling imperceptibly as he looked at Eros with grief in his two-colored eyes; “We tried, we all tried so hard!” He wasn’t shouting now, his voice raw; I’m sorry Eros,” Had he ever actually said that? “I wish I could undo it, but nothing can! No amount of hurt is gonna changed what happened, this needs to stop.” He managed to keep the last words firm, but his expression was almost defeatist, all of those pend up emotions gone from him, leaving behind a cold, dark shell.

”Speech" Thoughts

Eros Valle

He didn't, even if he had guesses, there was no knowing until Leo said it. He didn't realize that was a blade until anger lost its lead in the other's voice. It pierced and twisted, cutting away indignation and making him bleed compassion. It would have been easier to keep the mask and maintain the role he'd thought he'd been assigned if Leo had stayed mad, if he was only an inferno from which to keep distance. If Eros had been able to continue assuming he had no right to reach out, or that there was nothing worthwhile he could ever offer the Vuesain.

Leo was asking something of him right now though, even if he couldn't yet figure out exactly what. Eros' heart was hammering in his chest, the pressure on. There was so much broken around him, and he wanted so desperately to fix it all. Impossible, maybe, but not quite, not if Archer was still alive. There would be a way, had to be a way. And even if the Cove and the Backwater would never again be close, it didn't need to be this. It couldn't be this, definitely not when it was Leo hurting so.

Eros swallowed his pride and took the risk of stepping closer, head lowering and tail resting low. Ever watchful of signs that he was unwelcome to do so.

"Leo," his voice was softest around the other's name, but the only firmness in his voice remaining was a measured insistence that he please explain, "what happened? Did someone else get hurt?"

If he wouldn't, or couldn't?, say then maybe Eros would be able to guess.

"Is it Nash's kid? Did Vayko make it up there?" that was a reach, but he was honestly struggling and more than a touch desperate for push through this particular impasse.

"What do you need me to stop?"