(See All?) Announcements
463 Users Online
Bing, Google

changes — Bramble Falls 
Print · · Subscribe · 1 Loves ·
Played by Tara who has 549 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Indru Tainn

The cricket's that chirped merrily all around him were comforting to the boy; for once their dull, constant noise was welcomed instead of the silence the darkness would normally bring. It was becoming a habit for Indru, this restlessness and inability to sleep, which was the reason why the boy could be found out in very early hours of the morning. He headed towards the Falls, a favourite location of his since he was a pup, the moonlight glinting on the falling water creating a ethereal beauty. With a sigh he dropped down next to the edge of the pool the water was forced to busticate into, rolling down onto his side and dipping his front paw into it's dark depths, his orange eyes closing as he laid his head down on the floor.

It was still a shock for the Tainn male, how much had changed in such a short time. How one day could be so eventful and make such an impact on his future, after all he was a Leader now, as bizarre as it felt to the male. It was so strange not to see his father Rihael calling the orders, disciplining the pack, and it wasn't rare for Indru to find him turning to look for his father for reassurance and then remembering that he was gone. Sitting up abruptly he shook his head, determined to snap himself out of his melancholy, he was a Leader now and his family needed him.

(This post was last modified: Aug 01, 2010, 12:15 AM by Indru.)
Played by Siki who has 301 posts.
Inactive Deceased
Marsh Barrew
<blockquote><font style='margin-left:20px;'><b><i>WE WORK ON AUTOMATIC</i></b></font>
And then, once again, everything changed.

It wasn't in Marsh's nature to dwell. He didn't mope. What was done was done, and the only important thing to take away from it all was this:

Marsh was alone again.

That wasn't a problem, in and of itself, but it did pose its own problems. It wasn't the lack of conversation or company which drove his emptiness, but rather a feeling of unfulfillment, of uselessness. He had nobody to work with, work for, and it was a constant itch at the back of his mind. Therefore, perhaps it was a twisted kind of sentimentality which brought him here, away from the mountains and highlands he had prowled, here to this waterfall. He could remember the frozen lake and his short time there, time there with family, whatever 'family' meant to a wolf who had left behind blood relatives years ago. That pack had spent more time looking for home than enjoying it. It had all been the same to Marsh. That group had lasted longer than some he had attached himself to, at least, and it was only with a basic kind of fondness that he would remember them.

What was done was done. Survival was the focus once more.

This place was pleasant and easy to live in for a traveller. The forests provided good protection and nourishment for a lone wolf, and now that he had discovered the perfect (unmarked) place to quench his thirst, he began to wonder if he may stay here for a while. He had scented other wolves, but nothing concrete, nothing to suggest he was in danger. For a few days, smoke, burning, these had touched his nostrils, and he had wondered what had happened. A fire was a potent enemy indeed, but he gave the area a wide berth and did not risk being trapped by flames. It had only lasted a few days, at the most, and even now the scent was fading. The danger was over.

It seemed sensible to remain near the water for now, anyway, just in case.

The dry sting in his throat was easily washed away, but there was suddenly another scent over the crispness of the water. His ears were full of crashing water, but that was no matter, that could be overcome - and it was a hindrance which anything else here would suffer, as well. Male, young, healthy. Marsh's thirst was forgotten as he considered this news, his head lifting up to gaze idly in the strongest direction of the scent, the scent which was gently brought to him by a kindly wind. His rough tongue dragged idly over his lips and across his chin as he tried to decide his priorities, his desires. Male, young, healthy - but not too young, quite in his prime, in fact, possibly... no, this place did not smell of him, this was not his lands. Unless he had newly claimed it, in which case he had not done a good job covering it in his stench. Instincts did not say that this boy was alone, the musk of others lingered with his mark, but it was faint and difficult to be sure.

Paranoia, Marsh. There was no need for it; as of right now, he was probably alone and therefore little to no risk.

Still, there had been many empty days before this one. The scent of another had never been close, so readily available. And if he was truly a part of a pack, and Marsh wished to remain here for a few days, maybe a few weeks, then he had to be sure it was safe and neutral. He would not trespass, but he disliked hopping around the borders of an unknown entity, a possible foe.

There was nothing for it. Moving into the wind, Marsh gently padded towards the scent, his paws splashing in the shallowest waters. How far the young, healthy male was, he did not know, but a lone beast with a full belly and quenched thirst has all the time in the world.
<font style='margin-left:20px;'><b><i>ROUND AND ROUND IN CIRCLES</i></b></font></blockquote>
(This post was last modified: Jul 29, 2010, 11:01 PM by Marsh.)
Inactive No Rank
Indru Tainn

Remaining immobile aside from the small twitch of his ear, Indru focused his attention on the change of rhythm in the water, instead of the noisy crashing of the Falls that had silence even the crickets that had accompanied him on his way here, he could hear a much closer splashing in the shallows. For a moment Indru consider remaining where he was, splayed out on the floor, eyes closed and perhaps about to drift off into sleep, before he shook himself and acted seriously. With a small groan of resistance Indru pulled himself to his feet, his nose having already identified the approaching wolf as male and not one of his pack. A stranger then, well he could deal with this.

I hope your not skulking around in the hopes to catch me out, he called out into the darkness, his body tensed and his hackles raised slightly ready for an unknown threat. Indru slowly backed himself further into the water, not enough to limit his movements, but another to make sure he would definitely hear it if he was approached from behind. I'm not in the mood for games. This time his tone had a sterner edge, his bright eyes searching the darkness determined to locate this wolf before it was too late. He was a Leader, after all, he reminded himself, he had to make a show that he — and his pack &mdash were no pushovers, especially if this wolf had intentions of starting his own.

Inactive Deceased
Marsh Barrew
<blockquote><font style='margin-left:20px;'><b><i>ROUND AND ROUND THE MERRY-GO-ROUND</i></b></font>
Perhaps this hadn't been the best time to conduct investigations, but there was little distinction between night and day anymore. It just meant different dangers, different opportunities, and Marsh was productive in both as well he could be. It hadn't been very diplomatic to approach an unknown at the sort of time when your like tends to sleep.

Oh well.

The hostility was expected, welcomed. Marsh had known he was getting closer - though his eyes were nearly useless, his nose told him everything - and he was on high alert. Ears perked, he pressed forwards, until the unfamiliar scent peaked and an unfamiliar voice broke through the now more distant sounds of water, broke through the gentler, more alien noise of the crickets. It was only because the other moved further into the water that Marsh had any chance of seeing him, the moonlight playing clearer on the water's surface than the soggy earth and grass. He saw a silhouette, a ready form, and decided not to give the other the same advantage. Marsh quite deliberately stepped out of the waters, back onto drier land, his ears and nose and eyes all pointing at the unknown entity.

<b>"Do not skulk,"</b> he replied awkwardly, somewhat defensively. Why would he play games at this time? He turned his head to better stare at the form with one eye, but he could not see enough even then. The other's scent contrasted well with the water, and considering that Marsh was now standing on ground near to where the other had just been lying, it was much easier to fill his brain with the foreign smell. Definitely in a pack. Dominant. Not here, though. <b>"New! Safe. Or not? You smell of, of many, but this - not yours."</b>
<font style='margin-left:20px;'><b><i>SAME OLD SONGS SAME OLD FACES</i></b></font></blockquote>
Inactive No Rank
Indru Tainn

As the stranger got closer it was only because of the moon above him that he could make out a vague shadow, not even enough to determine the other's size or the direction he was looking, but Indru was certain it was in his. I call this skulking. Arriving upon me unannounced and without warning. Indru was not entirely sure he would of done anything different, perhaps called out when he had picked up a scent, but it was neither here nor there — this wolf hadn't, it had disturbed him from a peaceful movement that with recent events was hard to find which in turn had made him cranky.

No, my pack is located south-western of here, the male confirmed, watching him warily. Though there are no other pack's to threaten me, so technically I could take it all. His tone was sharp and commanding, hoping his suggestion would perhaps make the other think his pack was of larger members that it was. He was aware their scent clung faintly too him — as well as the burnt smell of the Wildwood — but the male new it was hard to distinguish the true strength of a pack from the scent of the Leader alone. Now aware of the wolf's location the male stepped out of the water, his movements slow and stiff, his tail curled over his back and perhaps if caught just right under the moonlight faint slices of his teeth between slightly parted lips as well. What do you want, wolf? He hissed, confident his physical display would make any lone wolf with less than friendly intentions hesitate at least.

Inactive Deceased
Marsh Barrew
<blockquote><font style='margin-left:20px;'><b><i>SAME OLD THREATS SAME OLD DANCES</i></b></font>
What did he want, for Marsh to have barked his way across the pool? Surely he didn't expect anything else. Perhaps he was another example of one of those curious wolves who worked too hard with their brains, one of those types who were all too frequent in these places. They tired Marsh out.

Ah, so his pack wasn't here, Marsh was right. And though the scents of others did cling to his fur - and the scent of burning, Marsh now realised - it was hard to tell how many, and how far they may be. That factored well into the other's consequent threats. His homeland was so far but he considered taking this area too? And were there really no other packs, or was that a lie? Perhaps this boy just didn't know of others? The desire to know overwhelmed Marsh, though he did not sense any intentional trickery - though, of course, it was hard to tell, being unable to properly see and interpret the other's body language.

When the wolf began to approach, leaving the safety - or hindrance - of the water, Marsh backed off accordingly, though not without his own warnings. The glimpses of teeth and tail prompted him to mirror them, though without so much malice; he simply wanted to make it plain that, on this neutral ground, he was just as powerful and in the right as anyone else. His only crime was curiosity.

<b>"No,"</b> he hissed, licking his lips, suddenly thirsty again. Words was hard, wet work. <b>"Rest. Safety. I - your family is not here. No demands. You. You - no! No right! Can stay, can stay if I want to, safe here. <i>No right</i>."</b>
<font style='margin-left:20px;'><b><i>SO SIMPLE SO COMPLEX SO SATISFIED AND SMUG</i></b></font></blockquote>
Inactive No Rank
Indru Tainn

Pleased that his advances had given him the result he wanted, retreat, Indru held his ground, feeling that he had the upper hand at the moment. He listened to the wolf's broken language with small confusion, pausing briefly to translate it to himself. The stranger was correct in ways, the land was not claimed so in a sense it was neutral, yet he still had the upper hand of belonging, at least he had a claim to some portion of Relic Lore instead having no ties to anything, as nice as the thought seemed right now. My pack, we could extend, there is no other to offer resistance to us. He replied, watching the wolf cautiously. Unless you are suggesting that you plan to oppose us? A small smirk playing across his muzzle at the thought, though he doubted it was one the stranger could see.

Though they both were alone, Indru felt comfortable in the fact that with a short howl he could call his pack to his side, especially his brother Ruiko who he knew would not be far from him. Who could this male call upon? Squirrels? Emboldened by this thought he took another step forward, watching for the others reaction. So go on, tell me, what do you want? As after all he had not received a hint yet, only words twisted out of their true phrasing, and his arrival had given nothing away either. Indru was not naive to fact that lone wolves crossed here often, he had spent his life here after all, and he had seen neighbouring packs come and go, but it was his first encounter with them since the fire, and perhaps more significantly since he was a Leader. The boy was untrained in the true etiquette but was determined he would not let it show.

Inactive Deceased
Marsh Barrew
<blockquote><font style='margin-left:20px;'><b><i>SO DETERMINED AND EMBOLDENED SO ARROGANT</i></b></font>
Why was this beast <b>threatening</b> him? Had Marsh done such a terrible thing by wandering through the dark, wanting to know where he was and where he stood in the local social ladder?

Why had so much offence been taken? Why was this other so nervous, so quick to anger and snap and bear weapons?

Marsh, who had been ready to find somewhere to rest, found himself quite agitated. It was fortunate that the darkness hid most of the other's aggressive outward signals, else it may have been something more than mere agitation. It was easier to convey intent through the body than words, though Marsh fancied he understood the provocation and sneering nature of this one's tongue, and he wanted to snarl in response, unable to whip up his own example of smooth talking. The suggestion of Marsh forming a pack - as if just to oppose this beast - made the older male laugh roughly, unrestricted, just for a moment. That was what he thought of that particular gem - though perhaps it was easily misunderstood.

Another hostile step forwards, but this time, Marsh stood still. This wasn't just respect to the personal boundaries of another, this was all-out menace, and Marsh wasn't going to give him anything now. He had brothers and sisters, yes, but right now out here he had nothing, and Marsh could end him before any of his kin had a chance to get here. He was young and strong but cocky, so cocky, and there was something about the way his scent played on Marsh's nose that gave the impression of inexperience - dominance, but young dominance, young like the beast himself. There were dead smells which clung to this one.

Interesting but useless.

<b><i>"What do you want?"</b></i> Marsh hissed, mirroring the tone and perfect word formation of the other, just as infuriated by the question as he was at the notion of an answer. Did he have to want anything? He thought he had made his intentions clear - his intentions had always been clear, hadn't they? - and now, now he was getting snarled at and threatened and it all rubbed him <i>entirely</i> the wrong way. Perhaps the fact that he now stood his ground, rather than retreat, was some kind of answer, even if his unintentional mockery was not.
<font style='margin-left:20px;'><b><i>SO SURE OF OURSELVES BUT DID YOU EVER ASK WHY</i></b></font></blockquote>
Inactive No Rank
Indru Tainn

The increasing tension became very apparent, and it almost seemed to jump from no where, so quietly had it been simmering under the surface. He watched the male become more agitated, this time his approach forward not sending him back to the shadows, but instead that one step closer. Indru regarded him for a moment, ignoring his childish imitation, and analysing the older male. He had started to think he was not of complete sound mind, slightly unhinged perhaps, and wondered if that's where their mixed signals lay. It was irritating to have a stranger prowl nearby when he was resting, yet this injustice did not seem to register, never the less Indru decided to proceed on.

I do not wish to fight, wolf. First things first, it seemed important to make that matter clear. You imposed on me, without warning, I merely wanted to know your intended.. purpose. It would be a good idea to find out if the dark wolf in the night was friend or foe after all, at least he would know where he stood. Pausing for a moment he decided he would not back down, though Indru did lower the tension in his pose, offering a degree of trust that the matter would not turn violent, yet the boy remained prepared if it did so. Directing his orange eyes more onto the body of the move than his face — easier to see his muscle's bunch if he were to turn violet — he waited for his reaction.

(This post was last modified: Jul 30, 2010, 01:17 AM by Indru.)
Inactive Deceased
Marsh Barrew
<blockquote><font style='margin-left:20px;'><b><i>WHY WE DO WHAT WE DO</i></b></font>
Hmm. Marsh may have misjudged.

The boy's words were sensible, having lost their antagonistic nature, and they calmed Marsh. He was only on edge because he was alone, weaker, more vulnerable; he felt obliged to be on guard. It seemed ironic that he be just as tense, because had he not been the one to impose on the other? Nevertheless, the stand off cooled down, and Marsh allowed the hostility to fall from his own body. The last thing he needed was a pointless fight. There was absolutely nothing to be achieved from it save wasted time and energy.

There was still that question, though, <i>what do you want</i> even if the other used different words to say it. Marsh licked his lips, trying to find the right way to <i>say</i>, to speak, to vocalise his most internal feelings. It wasn't easy. <b>"Unknown,"</b> he began uneasily, going with his gut, translating instinct as best he could. <b>"Wish to... you, you, you smell of <i>more</i>, others, danger? Near? Don't need, neeeeed,"</b> and here he simply snarled, though it to him it was only another word. <b>"Learn. Safe. Is... safe?"</b>
<font style='margin-left:20px;'><b><i>WHAT WE DO ITS ALL JUST ONE MOTION</i></b></font></blockquote>