(See All?) Announcements
650 Users Online
Bing, Flair, Google, Finley, Hazelnut, Neo

shadow of the day — Grizzly Hollow 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Switch who has 688 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Jaysyek Enap Lyall
<i>Rain —39° F - 52° F</i> I'm counting this on the 17th to keep the birthday then if no one objects. Borden first please. :) Anyone else wants to join pm me, and I'll let ya know when.

<blockquote>Any day she waited for her pups to be ready to meet her face to face. Each day seemed longer than the next in wait for them. She was beyond uncomfortable. She did not believe there was any more room in there, and at any jolts of pain was in hope for more to continue to bring them here. They ended up only being practice contractions, ceasing over time, and she'd quietly sigh with a faint smile continuing what she'd been doing. Today..today would be different. She had no knowledge of it being so. She had tediously worked on the Grizzly Hollow den the last month making sure things were in order, and her morning routine was accomplished with nothing new. The only change was the sky, it was at first a pale grey, boring, and dull. Then the storm clouds began pressing in with promise of a good rain.

It was midday when she first picked up the change outside, and in. The air was lit with a prickling static that tingled her bones, and rose her hair. Every breath was tinted with moisture, and inside the familiar ache struck, but this time they did not dull they became more fierce, more frequent. There was no doubting what would come. She did not struggle against it, but embraced it, and dug her paws hard against the ground. She was not going to give birth in any spot but the Grizzly Hollow den. She was very stubborn about this, and ran in the rain for as long as she could to the familiar circle of trees.

Jogging soon proved a bigger gut ache, and the rain set in. It was gentle, and softly swept against her sleek coat. The scent kept her calm, and made it easy to maintain her wits. Her only question was where was Borden? She did not like the idea of him being far. No Elettra, and no Arlette nor Trisden she did not have a female she was confident to help nor comfort her. It was her mate she wanted. A whine vibrated her throat at both the want, and sharp jab of pain to her tender insides. <b><i>"Almost home,"</i></b> she whispered to them, and sank her teeth in the insides of her cheeks. She kept walking, though it was certainly more waddle of sorts. Thankfully she had not gone far today and saw the den like a beckoning light. <i>Home.</i> Warm, dry, safe, and sound. Wincing with another contraction she stomped through the mud, and crawled inch by inch up the incline. At last she wiggled herself into the den happy to find it clear. After another wave of hurt, she began to pant, and then rose her muzzle to the sky. Loudly as she could she called for her mate, and sang a song of pups to come for the wolves of the Hollow.

After that everything went both slow, and yet at a blur. She had barely finished calling when she was helping the first pup. Whether if it was because this was the second time, or just easy he came quickly, and she checked him with her cool nose to his forehead. He was alive, and well. She quickly cleaned him from snout to tail, and tucked him close to her side. She was half disturbed because he looked so much like her first born son, but her mind had little time to fall to the sorrow of Prosper's memory. The second wanted here as well, and took a little longer than the first. There was the similarity again, this one grayish-white and a boy like Hocus. She should be happy not bothered she scolded herself quietly. Of coarse they were going to look like their siblings! She nosed the little boy, and nudged him beside his brother. He gave a single <span class='word'>pip</span> and began to eat. Thus the third would easily work herself to join them. She was like a mini-Trisden too and Jayse felt the pinch of sadness. She quickly kissed her daughter, and washed her well. The whole time she let out several <span class='word'>pips</span> of her discomfort until she was back by her brother's side. Jayse grinned at the notion, and half wondered if she was done. She was panting more harshly now, and wasn't sure if there was new pain, or just the same.

Suddenly there was a great stretch, and another pup...a little white girl, half the size of her siblings entered the world. Jayse swiftly took her gently in her jaws, and placed her in between her legs while the others nurses. Something was wrong, the little one was not moving. Her warm tongue found her face, and desperately began to stroke over and over the warm body.
</blockquote>
(This post was last modified: May 22, 2012, 05:20 AM by Jaysyek.)
[Image: 9Py9751.png]
Played by Grey who has 512 posts.
Inactive Deceased
Borden Lyall
<blockquote>Borden Lyall, while fully aware that he was - had been, really - now the Leader of the Hollow again had spent most of his morning tracking down rabbits and keeping a wary eye on an aging bull moose who seemed to be taking his sweet time in accepting it would soon be his time to go. By midday, he was silently prowling about with a hare dangling from his jowls... still watching the old antlered thing while it grazed luxuriously on the freshly sprung shoots. It amused him to no end as to how his target managed to make it through the winter, let alone eat while the scent of blood lingered faintly in the air. It might have been blind in one eye, the one that Borden was now ogling at intensively, or it probably had no fear of death... even if it stood nearby, able to summon a pack to swiftly deliver his demise. Or it simply might have not noticed Borden standing there as still as the tree he was half-hiding behind. The rain could have easily hindered its senses.

Exhaling through his nose the Hollow patriarch gave a snort to see if the moose would react. It didn't seem to hear him but it casually took a step forward to reach a blossom that had been out of his reach only moments before. Borden rolled his eyes. The day for a pack feast of fresh venison would not be today. In fact, today was meant for something <i>more</i>.

The moment Jaysyek's song lilted through the forest the Lyall was sent running in zig-zags through trees. Having been closer to the birthing den that had been used last year, he stopped there first. He tilted his muzzle into the air, taking in nothing more than old scents. Just to be sure he quickly glanced into the old hollow tree stump and dropped his quarry for a brief second. <b><i>"Jayse?"</i></b> Nothing. Not even a <span class='word'>pip</span>. His brow furrowed and after he snatched up the bloodied hare again he took off at a ground-eating sprint.

His mud-coated paws easily navigated back to the old bear den and without any second thoughts he scampered to the entrance of the underground tunnel and set the hare aside. It was almost like history had repeated itself, though the rain fell in unending sheets and the pack had grown quite a bit since last year. He let out a soft woof to alert Jaysyek that he had arrived. Settling down on his belly he eagerly peered into the darkness to see if he could make out the small, wriggling shapes pressed against his beloved's side. It seemed he had come just in time, though he couldn't help but be concerned as to why Jaysyek was particularly preening one pup between her forelimbs. His heart sank. <b>"What's wrong?"</b></blockquote>
Inactive No Rank
Jaysyek Enap Lyall
<blockquote>The world beyond her did not exist any more. She already had one child fighting for life, and more furiously stroke the faint silver coat, sometimes nudging her form with a nose. Somewhere Borden's woof would sound, collecting in her ears, but she was running through her thoughts on what to do. The pup was clean, she was warm, why wasn't she stirring. <b>"I..I don't know,"</b> she softly answered not taking her eyes off the little girl. The the mother continued to try to breathe life into the child. Finally the little grayish poof lifted her head, and sneezed with such a force she would have fallen from her mother's limbs if not for her shifting them to catch her. She was alive, and Jayse touched her little nose with hers. So precious, each and every one of them. She could count them all as safely making the journey. The youngest began to cry, and Jayse put her in place beside her siblings. <i>They were all here safe and sound.</i>

With a great sigh her smile returned to her pale face, and she looked upward to her mate. She was most happy he had found her so quickly, and her tail tip would thump the floor in this relief. <b>"All well now,"</b> she said in a steady tone, despite feeling her work of the day in each fiber of her body and soul. If she'd lost one so soon she would struggle keeping it together. She was being <span class='word'>belabor</span> about the whole situation. There was no point in trying to control fate, and they would be close for some time before taking the real journey into the world. <b>"I love you,"</b> she whispered to the newborns, her eyes coming to rest on Borden. <b>"Your welcome to come in and meet them,"</b> she invited. <i>Out of the rain.</i> There was a bit of room, and she did not want him missing a thing this time.</blockquote>
Inactive Deceased
Borden Lyall
<i>Blahhhhh. Sorry for the wait. 8c</i>

<blockquote>Borden's eyes alternated between observing Jaysyek's eyes and the infant she was zealously stimulating. At the present moment not even the rain or distant thunder could {word}divulse{word} his attention away from his family before him. An eager whine slid from his throat, soft and low in tone. It was cut off quickly though as the small girl took her first breath, or, rather... <i>sneezed</i>. A bittersweet smile crept onto his masked features - bitter only because the worry had yet to clear, sweet because, well... it seemed all <i>four</i> cubs of the Lyalls' second litter would survive. Especially when the youngest began to test out her new lungs. Borden watched as his beloved swiftly placed their daughter with the rest of their brood.

He caught Jaysyek's gaze and for a moment admired her in all her grace, strength, and spirit. <i>"All well now,"</i> she relayed and he gave a quiet nod. <b>"I'm glad,"</b> he whispered. His eyes counted the precious light and dark figures nestled up against his mate's abdomen. Four tails, eight tiny folded ears, eight small hind paws with soft jet black pads. His tail swung about behind him as Jaysyek welcomed him inside. He glanced down to the hair he had brought but decided to cache it away for later. Shaking out his pelt and ridding it of the excess water that clung to him, he cautiously crept down into the tunnel. Careful to navigate his way behind the ivory leader by stepping past her forepaws instead of her hind legs, he settled down as quietly as he could. He drew a deep breath and gazed over her side to peer down at the nursing newborns. Though he was rather morose that Elettra was not around to help assist them, particularly Jaysyek, he was glad that at least for the time being they were alone.</blockquote>
Inactive No Rank
Jaysyek Enap Lyall
<blockquote>A weathered heart could only bear so many storms before falling never to rebuild again. She would like to think that moment would never happen to her, but somewhere a voice warned her, her time would come. Some day she would have to give up the fight. Today was not going to be the day for anyone she wished to snap back, and as long as her heart beat, and she had breathe within her she would continue to do everything she could for her family, her pack, she wasn't going any where.

She briefly let her tail lift and fall in a joyous action at his gentle words, and briefly too looked to the latest legacy of Lyall children with a proud look to her mismatched eyes. She wanted to hold them closer than their siblings had stayed, but for now all she could do was enjoy the next coming months and see what destiny had in store for them.

She rested her chin atop her limb, and watched in silence in what her mate would decide. It was to come in, and this decision put a most satisfied smile to her lips. His warmth, the solitude of his form beside her helped ease all things, and it was a welcome change to the last run of things. It was sad to think how Kiche was welcome, and Elettra was well Jayse assumed somewhere in th lore trying to start her own pack. She missed the lady, but was at peace with their choices. She was likely to see her some time again, and would hope all things were well for Lady Archer. With a consent sigh, she let herself slightly lean into Borden her breaths finally coming and going in smooth rhythms. <b>"I suppose they need names,"</b> she said, happiness to her voice that could not be noticed as it had been vacant for so long. She had some she had thought upon, but this time she wasn't so hurried to place names upon them. </blockquote>
Inactive Deceased
Borden Lyall
<blockquote>Her statement made him grin a bit and he canted his head in thought as he continued to gaze down at the downy-pelted infants. <b>"Well,"</b> he softly began. <b>"I think I would like <i>Calla</i> for the youngest girl. Like the flower..."</b> The memory of his mother flashed across his memory, her grief all but erased from his mind when he remembered the day he had been sent away. <i>Like the flower,</i> his mind repeated. <i>Like sorrel and sage... and thistle and aster.</i> Named not <i>for</i> her grandmothers before her, but somehow in remembrance of them. <i>Calla Lyall</i>. Like a calla lily - beautiful in nature and elegant in form with heart-shaped leaves, poisonous to taste... Perhaps a strong namesake was intended for her. After all, she had already overcome her first hurdle. A beguiling beauty on the outside with her mother's white fur, but a force to be reckoned with from within.

<b>"Hmm,"</b> he hummed thoughtfully. <b>"Maybe <i>Ryvet</i> for one of the boys? That's a good, strong name, I think."</b> <i>Ryvet Lyall,</i> he mused, his brow furrowing before straightening into slight amusement about how prominent it sounded with their namesake. <b>"How does that sound?"</b> His gaze turned to Jaysyek's face, his smile still palpable on his face. <b>"Are you okay?"</b> he whispered. He lapped his tongue over the side of her face as he sat up slowly, craning his neck to nudge her ears lovingly with his cold nose. <b>"Is there anything I can get for you, now or maybe later when things have settled down a bit more?"</b></blockquote>
Inactive No Rank
Jaysyek Enap Lyall
<3 been sick, and museless. i enjoyed writing this.

<blockquote>There was an brighter aura all about her, both a glow of pride and real joy. The only thing missing from the picture were her five eldest children. Prosper,Hocus,Trisden,Theordore, and Arlette. There was not one around. The holes in her heart seemed scorch, missing each one of them. The picture would never quite be what it should. A family of eleven that's what they would have been. It was there she would quietly watch his expression, her eyes lingering on his face when he looked upon them. It helped to coax her from her dark hiding place, to simply see the happiness mirrored back. And she was always craving to know just what he was thinking. The first time they had met, and many encounters after that she was constantly wishing to read his mind. He was not an entirely closed book, but he had always had his secrets.

Calla. The name was precious, and more so in the tone in which it was said. <i>Like the flower.</i> White, and delicate in appearance, but with a hidden defense. The dark lines of her lips pulled in a smile. She liked it very much. <b>"Very fitting,"</b> she commented, letting her eyes rest on her youngest daughter. She sensed there could be more thought behind the meaning, but did not interrupt. Ryvet, thought different, it appealed to her having a ring to it she liked the sound of. <b>"Very fine indeed,"</b> she answered without skipping a beat. A whimsical laugh evaded her as his tongue tickled her cheek, and nestled between her ears. <b>"Oh Borden, to be honest...I could not be better,"</b> She leaned herself against him, breathing deep, letting out a sigh of bliss, adding, <b>"But, in a little while something to eat will do just fine."</b> She playfully wiggled her nose against his throat, before slowly tucking it down. Her face smoothed, a twinkle of knowing coming to light her unmatched eyes. Her voice become almost as if she was far off, <b>"I was thinking Taima for her,"</b> she pointed to her third born, <b>"It means peal of thunder, my mother told me from one of her stories."</b> A sad smile twitched at the past thoughts, but it was to her oldest son her eyes would roam. She was not sure, but she wanted to give him a strong name too, something maybe not to exactly live up to, but to protect him. <b>"Does Renier sound like something you like? It means deciding warrior, and I want an equal strong name for him too."</b> She countered her head, letting her eyes shift to Borden.</blockquote>
(This post was last modified: Jul 19, 2012, 03:40 AM by Jaysyek.)
Inactive Deceased
Borden Lyall
<blockquote>Jaysyek agreed to "Calla" at first, then "Ryvet," and the Lyall felt a thousand suns light up within him as her laugh sounded out in the coziness of the den. Both were <i>fitting</i> and <i>fine</i>. Nothing short of perfect. He watched as she pointed to their third-born, the first of the two girls, then to their first-born, the small boy who looked incredibly like Prosper had a year ago. <b>"Taima,"</b> he softly tested the name on his tongue. <b>"Ren-ear... Ren<i>i</i>er."</b> Jayse turned to look at him, and Borden could do nothing more but to beam back in approval. <b>"They're both perfect."</b> <i>Renier, Ryvet... Taima and Calla Lyall.</i> <b>"You've done well. So proud of you."</b>

He planted another gentle 'kiss' to her brow bone, releasing a soft sigh once the pitter-pat of the rain outside registered in his ears. <b>"Just... whenever you're ready for a little something,"</b> he began, catching her gaze and holding it in his. <b>"You just let me know. Got lucky today; I left a rabbit just outside for you."</b> He shifted, propping himself up against the cool wall of mud at his back, inviting his mate to recline and fully lay back, even if only for the time being while he resided in the den with her. His eyes briefly went to the entrance then returned to his beloved, <b>"For now, though, just... rest."</b> He smiled again. <b>"Regain your strength, get some sleep. I'll keep watch."</b></blockquote>
Inactive No Rank
Jaysyek Enap Lyall
<blockquote>
Agreeable names were important to her, and part of pulling the family closer together. Some how it brought it all back to life, into the light to again prove this was where she was meant to be. A wide smile she could not contain, her eyes were bright she watched him take in her own choices of names. They were different of sound, and ears tipped in earnest as he put each one to voice. They sounded better, and more fitting by the deep tone of his voice.

A light breathe, her tail softly tapped on the hard packed floor, and a muffled yet content hum passed her lips at his touch. She leveled her chin, staring into the golden and sage hues of his eyes. She loved him so very much, and was not sure if she could say all she felt today. She grinned sharply, watching him as he told of his catch. It had been the first thing he had caught for her here. When she moved, she had to suppress a whine, not sure if he was already leaving. Her mismatched eyes sought for any sign of trouble. There would be none, and at his cue she let herself drift back to her side.

When her head rested down she felt all all she had done in the passing hours, and she took in the sweet scent of the rain,cedar, her newborns, and her Borden. Much she hated to miss something, rest was the best thing right now. She would need lots of it, and it would be the time to get it. Her eyes slipped shut once, and she reopened them to catch his smile. <b>"Very well love,"</b> she playfully answered, and would stretch her legs more comfortably to at last fall asleep.
</blockquote>