(See All?) Announcements
542 Users Online
Bing, Google, Viorel

Singing In The Rain — Nomads Pass 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by becuffin who has 860 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Naira Tainn
RE: The creeks and rivers have flooded due to recent rains.

Rain, rain, rain. Always with the rain. The dreary weather weighed heavily on her outlook as she all but trudged about her home, grateful for the abundance of stony shelves that kept the icy muddy slushy sections to a minimum as she traversed from one end of their borders to the other, for once reluctant to step outside the well marked borders as if held by some invisible leash. Earlier in the day she had stopped by the dead tree that smelled so strongly of @Mapplethorpe, although the older man was not home. Later she had wandered in search of @Rhysis... Even her sons, @Datura and @Adonis were nowhere in sight, so finally she decided it was time to explore the lower end of the Pass, to the east, in more detail.

At the lower end of the pass, where the trees were the thickest and the ground grew level, she paused, bringing herself to a comfortable seat a short distance from the swamp that now engulfed the lowest section of her home, washing the snow from the land below and leaving in it’s place a shimmering mirror, reflecting what little blue of the sky broke through the trees. In the distance, a herd of deer sloshed through the shallow waters that had flooded the lower basin. It was with quiet contemplation that she sat, observing the quiet movement of the others about her, prey and predator at peace for now. Whether the water would remain to become a lake or evaporate with the onset of summer was yet to be determined, but the water birds that had made their appearance seemed to be settling in for the time being. Either way it looked like the ever growing puddle would be here for a time.

(This post was last modified: Mar 11, 2013, 05:43 AM by Naira.)
[Image: chase.gif]
[Image: naira_by_becuffin-dawj8rp.png]

Played by Grey who has 258 posts.
Inactive Deceased
Mapplethorpe
mapplethorpe
quo me cunque rapit tempestas
Mapplethorpe sneezed. He hated the cold. If it weren't already enough to deal with after having to endure a whole season of it, the rain spell made it worse. Every bit of his pelt was smoothed down from its normal state of coarseness; and, every so often, when he felt the itch to, he shook out his coat, making his fur stick out in all directions in black, gray, and tan spikes. It made him look and feel terrible, especially after the episode he had recently recovered from after fully realizing his true devotion to the Queen of the Pass.

Huffing loudly as he slogged through the now marsh-like fields on the lower end of his pack's territory, he kept his gaze down, watching his reflection with every step and ripple. Rain wasn't so bad, he knew, especially where Spring was concerned. In exchange for sacrificing his dulled sense of smell, it washed away what was left of the snow and nourished the growing plants that would provide cover and shade for the Summer months. Sweeping his nose across the water just inches from the surface, he took a deep breath and shook his head and shoulders and the way down to his tail. He felt drained, but not even the refreshing sensation of water on his tongue could not rejuvenate him.

A loud sigh escaped his lungs and it wasn't until a pair of waterfowl fled to the skies near his left that he looked up to consider his surroundings. His heart could have stopped - there she was... His hunting trip had been fruitless; every burrowing creature that had made their home in this part of their packlands had retreated further up the mountain. He shook out his coat again, sending droplets of water everywhere. Heading in Naira's direction, he steadily trudged through the growing puddle until he was within earshot of his Leader.

"Your Highness," he quietly smiled, "Fancy seeing you here." His drenched tail lifted from the water at his back, "What brings you out in the storm?"

template base by GINNYSAURUS | image by DAWNTHIEVES.DE
Inactive No Rank
Naira Tainn

The telltale sloshing of water was first attended to by a flick of her ears accompanied by a casual turn of her head to the direction of the offending noise when it came to a stop. A smile lit her face as her tail drummed out and upbeat tempo against the stone that kept her paws relatively mud-free. The familiar tawny form of her advisor moving across the flooded basin just as soaked as she. Her tail ceased it’s beating as he froze for a moment, then resumed it’s happy thud as he moved towards her.

She couldn’t quite place his quiet tone, although the smile did not go unnoticed. Brushing his formality off with a cant of her muzzle, indicating he should join her out of the slowly growing pond, she shifted to the side to allow some extra room for him. Refusing to allow the weather to dampen her slowly brightening outlook. Winter was over, spring was coming, and with spring their pack would grow. His question was not one to be ignored and with a mischievous glint in her eye and an attempt of making her face appear somewhat more serious she answered with a drawl. "Booooredom." She all but yawned the word.

One would think with their rivals so close there would never be a shortage of entertainment, but the Poisoned wolves steered clear and she had gathered herself a serious bunch. Soon she would have children to amuse herself with, but unlike last year, she was not nervous about the impending birth. The worst had been thrown at her last year, there was very little that she wouldn’t be prepared for this time.

"And what drags you from your nice dry warm den on such a day?" She asked gently with a smile. The caches were full and the borders were well protected, and everyone deserved a day off.

Inactive Deceased
Mapplethorpe
mapplethorpe
"Booooredom." Her reply made a heartier smile curl up on his muzzle and a small chuckle escape form the depths of his chest. "Ah," he sounded, edging closer to her before approaching the shore and stepping out of the water. "And what drags you from your nice dry warm den on such a day?" He shook his head, still smiling as he attempted to shake the water from his limbs and tail. His coat could wait; the feasts that Rhysis had provided him with over the months had helped beyond measure and the insulation, on top of his rounded-out frame, kept him warm.

"Oh, I meant to hunt today," he said, a shudder abruptly accompanying the last word as it left his mouth. "Thought I'd be able to snatch something with the water driving everything to higher ground." He shrugged, "Didn't expect this much downpour though." He resisted the urge to sit somewhere off to her side and instead briefly observed the side of her face.

She seemed calm for once, and that fact alone made him at ease. He wasn't sure if Naira had taken his advice when it came to showing Rhysis that she still appreciated him, but either way he was grateful to have found her spirits unspoiled by the weather. "The princes must be enjoying themselves," he casually commented. "'Bout time we've had some rain in these parts; I've had enough of the snow and frost killing everything..." He looked out toward the water, surveying its surface as it rippled with every raindrop that fell from the sky.

He sharply inhaled filling his lungs with the crisp air before releasing it. Returning his gaze to her warmly, he tilted his head slightly to the side as if he noticed something was different about her. It could have easily been the glow that most expectant mothers possessed but, somehow, Mapplethorpe was certain it was something else entirely. He took a careful step towards her, every inch of his being aching to close the distance between them, "Is everything all right?"

Inactive No Rank
Naira Tainn

She was pleased by his response and couldn’t help but agree at not expecting so much rain. She could just imagine her boys thrashing about in the muck and mud and the mess they would drag into the den with them tonight. Her eyes couldn’t help but drift heavenward in a silent plea that she might get away mud-free for tonight at least. "Oh I’m sure they are..." her voice carried a hint of dread laced with amusement, after all, boys would be boys.

In her minds eye she could already see the pass covered with green, the patches that were not rock would be coated with spongey grass, thanks to the stream and falls that ran through it’s heart and even the rocks would soften with a generous coating of moss. The spindly trees would be heavy with foliage and they would flourish. "Unfortunately, I don’t think we are free of the frost and snow quite yet..." She said, the hint of a frown on her otherwise relaxed face. Rain was all well and good, but she had never known winter to give up it’s hold willingly.

She smiled as he moved to close the space between them, her own shiver accompanying a short gust of wind from the still heavily snow capped peak of the mountain. His enquiry after her own well-being bough forth a genuine smile as she shuffled to make more room at her flank for the older wolf, well out of the slowly expanding pool. "Oh Yes. @Rhysis has sent @Sagacity scouting far from home, the boys seem to be doing ok..." a hint of worry did sneak into her voice as she trailed off. If anyone knew of the comings and goings of the wolves of the Pass, she had no doubt in her mind that Mapplethorpe was the one who would know of it. "Although I haven’t seen nor heard from Tenzin in quite some time..." She was sure it was nothing, although if he had abandoned them he would need to be greeted as a stranger at their borders. She could only hope her nose had been mistaken with his rapidly fading scent about their borders.

Inactive Deceased
Mapplethorpe
mapplethorpe
Everywhere around them the snow had vanished, melted and washed away by the rain. There was nothing primaveral about it, with the Pass becoming soaked to the roots, but at least winter no longer seemed to be present on the surface. He took in her smile, another wave of relief rushing over him as she confirmed that everything was fine. Shaking his hind paws out behind him he blinked as the downpour continually beat against his tawny pelt, rolling off each and every point as raindrops once more. Naira scooted away and, picking up on the gesture, Mapplethorpe inched a little closer before finally easing himself down onto his haunches - just close enough to be within reach if she drastically leaned over to nudge him with her nose. His waterlogged tail laid flat out behind him.

His dark-rimmed, bear-like ears drew forward, taking in his Leader's report, the reason as to why he had seen so little of @Sagacity revealed in a simple sentence that he had so easily dismissed before. Fair enough... If Rhysis had Sagacity then Naira had him. The Advisor's smile evened out, his eyes drifting back to the side of her face when he regarded the nerves that had put an edge to her words about her sons. She additionally mentioned that she hadn't seen or heard from Tenzin in a while, the man who could have effortlessly passed as a younger, vigorous doppelganger.

"They're fine, I'm certain," he tried to assure her about @Adonis and @Datura. "They seem to have grown stronger since we first arrived here to the Pass; they're able to look after themselves if not for one another." His head canted again to one side, mentally shuffling dates and occurrences in his head. "@Tenzin..." the name rolled off his tongue with a thoughtful tone. "I haven't heard from Tenzin in a while, myself. He's out there though, I bet, a Guard has to toughen up and smarten up somehow since it's been quiet these past few weeks." He returned his gaze to the temporary "pond" at their feet, staring at Naira's reflection for some time before looking to the trees and shrubs he had passed by only moments ago. "His scent has long since faded from the borders, though. The routes I normally take are dominated by @Rhysis' musk, but the rain might have already washed out the traces that remained of Tenzin's comings and goings."

He fought to keep a satisfied grin from forming along his lips; only his brows lifted as he anticipated her response. With the large, red-masked brute out of the picture, he could not help but to assume and hope that his absence meant he could become much closer to his Regina.

(This post was last modified: Mar 20, 2013, 08:50 PM by Mapplethorpe.)
Inactive No Rank
Naira Tainn

A flash of anger passed through her golden eyes, although she was far from the snarling wreck she had been on their first encounter. She took a moment to gather her thoughts, to ensure she was not being too rash. Quietness or no, there was no excuse to be absent for so long without leave. Like so many before him, he had left them, he had left her, and he would wear the consequences the same as any other. The serious look on her face washed away with so many rolling rain drops and she was once again calm. It was new for her, to not simply lash out. She might seek Tenzin out in a few days time, if the rain ever decided to stop, simply to ensure he hadn’t fallen victim to some undiscovered landslide or avalanche, but until then, the laws of the pack would be upheld.

"If his scent is long gone and I recall the natural progression of things..." she teased lightly reaching out to bump her muzzle against the advisors cheek in a friendly fashion, "I do believe you have been promoted... Again." Her smile broke through on her final proclamation. Not that it wasn’t well earned. "Make sure @Rais and @Valiant are aware that Tenzin is to be greeted as a loner should he return. I will advise Rhysis and the boys."

Their slowly dwindling numbers caused another moment of concern, but it wasn’t for lack of those trying to join. She herself had warned two females away, but her reasoning had been sound. She did not need to deal with idiots and invalids on top of having to watch out for her cubs. "We will need to begin looking for some acceptable fresh blood." She didn’t believe for a moment that Poison Path would be content to live peacefully with them, nor was that what she wanted. "It might take a bit of traveling though..." she added with a musical chuckle. "This mountain seems to attract all the idiots. I’m just thankful there are plenty of cliffs to push them off..."

Inactive Deceased
Mapplethorpe
mapplethorpe
"If his scent is long gone and I recall the natural progression of things..." Her tone of voice teased and taunted, and it made a rather delighted smile form on the Advisor's face. Surprise was quick to melt it away though as Naira drew forward and touched her nose to his cheek. Of course it was a straightforward, casual gesture but, still, her touch made the hair stand on edge at the back of his neck and between his shoulders. She smiled and he returned it easily enough though his heart thumped about in his chest. His eyes seemed to question the deed of promoting him but he made no sound as to protest it. If she deemed him worthy of such a rank, he would gratefully accept it and act the part.

Upon her request, he gave a courteous nod, "Yes, Your Grace. I will see to it." He continued to gaze upon her in glimpses, particularly when she spoke; whenever he turned away, a flicker of an ear signalled he was listening intently. Mapplethorpe just managed to catch her eye when she proposed that they would have to begin recruiting soon. The words she had used piqued his interest and he furrowed a brow, searching her face to ensure she was serious. Her chuckle and humor didn't faze him but he still grinned.

If she was allowing him to travel further away from the Pass in search of recruits, he was more than happy to shoulder the task. He would be given the opportunity to sort out the foolishly hopeful for himself and spare his Queen the hassle. A cunning spark lit up his citrine eyes; he would definitely grant Naira the chance to push any laughingstock from the cliffs... Anything to make and keep her... her... just as she was now. Calm on the outside, personable, and simply....Naira.

His tail swept along the stones behind him and he turned to focus his gaze back on the water. "Forgive me if I am too bold, my lady," he began, a strange, bashful tone replacing his usual confident, almost devious, bravado. "But are you... happy?"

(This post was last modified: Mar 27, 2013, 10:26 AM by Fenru.)
Inactive No Rank
Naira Tainn

His question seemed a tease in itself and she was light-hearted enough to play along, a look of indignation crossing her face as she drew in a deep breath, as though she had been mortally offended at the suggestion - almost physically wounded with the way her jaw dropped and her ears flattened. Her ruse was quickly dropped however with a light hearted giggle and a shove to the wolf at her side with a casual shoulder. "I guess I am..." She replied finally. And how could she not be?

The rains were here, she had her pack, she had her family, against all odds, they had made it yet again. There would be new Aquila’s to bless the Pass in a few mere months. Their raid on Poison Path had gone unanswered and while things were hardly smooth with @Rhysis, they were on the mend, and the absence of @Sagacity was only helping to speed the healing process. Everything was finally falling into place.

The distant roll of thunder could be felt as well as heard, indicating that the steady shower would only become more insistent with time and a sigh escaped her chest. She was enjoying their new... swamp, pond thing, and as the deer began to move for the cover of denser trees she turned to her advisor with a raised brow. "Should we take that as a sign and head for higher ground?" She questioned casually. They could continue to talk while they walked, but if the rain kept up, their perch would soon be submerged as well. She was suddenly grateful for the high ground their home offered, wolves who lived on the lower lands would not be so lucky when the spring rains arrived for good.

Inactive Deceased
Mapplethorpe
mapplethorpe
A satisfactory smile, at least she supposed she was happy; it was enough for him to know that nothing dire or pressing was wracking her mind. A thunderclap overhead made him look skyward, the feeling of the tremble in his chest making him wonder if it was wise to be out in the storm up here. He caught her gaze, holding it for sometime before releasing it and looking into the forest that rose up on the other side of the shallow pond. He hadn't gone too far into it today and had mentally made a note to fully investigate it whenever he had the chance.

A small herd of deer emerged before them, coming into view just long enough to eye the two Nomads before darting into the dense foliage and out of sight. Her question was answered with another wordless nod. He stood up then stepped in the direction that would lead them back to Naira's den, waiting for her to lead. "After you?"

Water freely dripped from the underside of his ribcage and throat and the tip of his sodden tail. As he continued to watch her he idly shook his head, sending a few raindrops flying from the copper-red tips of his ears. His eyes went back to the gray clouds above them, anticipating a flash of white lightning and the thunder the followed after it. It didn't come as he had expected it to, but when he brought his eyes back to the ground and the paths they could take together, the storm light up the sky and bellowed. Mapplethorpe could have jumped out of his pelt right then and there.

Half-embarrassed he swallowed a nervous chuckle, preventing it from leaving his throat and merely looked at his superior, hoping that she hadn't seen him jump.