495 Users Online
Bing, Google

Wounded I Come
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Amritha who has 25 posts.
Inactive III. Subordinate
Teketa Llew
{Sloane}

Edit: Just a table update; made the font bigger. ;)

Partly Cloudy — Current Temperature: 34° F/1° C Late Afternoon/Early Evening

The name Vittani would be forever seared into his mind, along with the scars of this attack. Oh, and he would remember. He refused to let this kill him. He would find help. He didn't know how, or where, or who. But he would.

The sun was slinking across the sky - crawling, Teketa thought, toward the horizon. He barely took stock of it beyond that. He hurt too much to care about much else. He had tried to rest earlier, but it was a disturbed and shallow sleep... so here he was on his paws again, limping westward. He'd go north from here if he was able. If I am able... Teketa refused to be defeated. His left forelimb had been badly bitten into - the bone was undoubtedly bruised, the muscles torn. He didn't put any weight on it - he scarcely moved it - for fear of causing it to bleed heavily again. The blood had eased up earlier that day, but it didn't seem to stop completely yet.

The loner's mouth was open, his pink tongue lolling more from pain than anything. He had likely over-exerted himself as well, but he gasped less from exhaustion and more from his injury. It wasn't a wound that would be fatal to a pack wolf, who could access prey and hunt with friends. Teketa's jaws were still strong, his other limbs in perfect order. But for a loner, a single limb out of commission was a death warrant. Teketa knew that - as did the she-wolf who had marred him. There was no way, he thought, no way she didn't know what she was doing. She had intended to kill him. She had even said as much. Only Artemis's grace had saved him! Puh! He shut his eyes and stopped for a moment as his foreleg cramped. He pressed air through gritted teeth, then inhaled deeply before pressing on warily. He was so tired. He'd lost blood. He hurt. And while he wanted to live, without aid he would surely die before the fortnight.

Teketa was only vaguely aware of the scenery changing around him. The slope seemed less and the trees had since fallen away. He was standing in a meadow. Too tired to even look around, he settled for sniffing a few times at the air before collapsing onto his hindquarters. He hoped he didn't look as defeated as he felt at that moment in his life. He reminded himself: I've seen - done - felt far worse... but that neither eased the pain nor the worry settling into his heart and mind.

I'm falling;
if you could only save me...
I'm drowning in the waters of my soul.
(This post was last modified: Apr 18, 2013, 12:51 AM by Teketa.)
Played by Jen who has 320 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Sloane Thorben
The over-sized russet wolf padded along the borders of the meadow in frustration. He'd reluctantly left Narime' sleeping in the cave. Much like her meals, she needed to sleep when she could, since the discomfort of her belly would frequently wake her from slumber. He'd been restless and hadn't wanted to wake her with his fidgeting so he struck out to try his luck at some hunting. Unfortunately, luck was not with him for the smaller swifter game and while he could easily take down a tired deer, he could not run it to ground without help, so he decided to simply explore a bit to ease his mind. It still amazed him how very different this was from running a pack with Nina. From the beginning everyone had known and accepted that he was just a fill-in until Koda came to be with Nina. No one had shown him any less respect for it, yet it had always been Nina's pack.

Now he had the responsibility of leading his own pack with Narime' at his side. It was a dream come true, as were the young growing inside her, but it was an immense responsibility. Her being ill from the pregnancy didn't help any. He was always on the protective side of his young bride, but he feared that his hovering was going to cause her more stress. With a sigh, he looked around him. He had come a bit farther than he'd intended from the den, but not too far. Worry for Narime' reared it's head again and he knew that if their little pack had more members all would have been well. They were doing fine, but his mate was unable to hunt and lately he hadn't been doing so well in that department either. None of them would go hungry to be sure, for Kieth, Simaea and their newest addition provided enough, but more eyes and ears would not be unappreciated.

He turned around, prepared to head back home, when a movement caught his attention in the meadow. A black form moved, a wolf. The black male's back end had appeared to almost collapse under him and he had a look of utter exhaustion about him. Sloane sniffed the air and the faint scent that it brought to him was that of a loner laced with the taint of dried blood. Russet ears perked forward as his golden amber eyes studied the stranger for a moment before he moved towards him. He didn't know if the blood was his or that of prey, but concern filled the huge male as he neared the black male. He cleared his throat to get his attention before speaking. "Hello. I'm Sloane Thorben, leader of Whisper Caverns pack. Are you all right?" Now that he was closer, he easily saw the deep gash on the other man's left foreleg. Not wanting the injured wolf to go on the defensive, he kept his posture neutral and waved his thick rusty plume a few times to show that he meant no harm.

Knight of Honor
Teketa Llew
While he tried his best not to think he was doomed, he knew the odds were very strongly against him without the aid of another. On top of that, it was April; females were bound to be heavy with child and Teketa didn't even have the argument that he could hunt properly right now. If he approached a pack, he was certain he would be turned away without consideration. Wolves were not kind creatures. He knew better than to think otherwise. Shutting his eyes, Teketa felt his dismay beginning to overtake him. He tried to tell himself it was only exhaustion, though. He was too tired to even wear his usual stern expression. He'd only been injured this morning and he'd covered several hours' distance on three limbs. Was it any wonder then that he should have missed the approach of another?

"Hello."

Teketa felt his heart skip, then beat faster. His body seemed to tired to even start in surprise, but his eyes were suddenly wide, their vibrant color glinting in the evening light in spite of its cloudiness. Next his head turned, eyes locking on the source of the voice: a wolf large even than Teketa. Lastly, his body rose and he tried to shift subtly so his wounded limb was less visible. His desire to hide weakness in himself was almost instinctive. He realized there was no threat only after several seconds. Even then, he stood with his ears splayed and tail half-tucked nervously.

"Are you all right?"

Teketa didn't trust others. He had no faith in wolves, no hope in them. But then, why did he feel as if some part of his faith had been shattered? He didn't think he'd had anything left to break. Warily he shifted again, slowly comprehending the concern in the other wolf's voice. He homed in on that kindness, deciding that would be better than focusing on how the other wolf was immense - larger even than himself. Teketa could afford no mistakes right now. He may not have been in the best shape, but he did realize that this wolf - Sloane - might be a chance to survive. He didn't believe in spirits or gods, but... maybe he should've reconsidered. Sometimes he could've sworn she was still guiding him. Teketa's travel-worn face turned away as he started to bow his head and lower his body in a belated submission ritual. He felt he failed even at that however, and found himself quivering as his face came close to the mushy earth. He wondered if he'd get up again if he went down all the way.

"No," he managed, voice a little strained. He couldn't keep out some of his surprise. The pain was throbbing, dull compared to earlier, but by no means gone. He explained little else, for he was often a wolf of few words. His brusque mannerisms were likely what had gotten him into trouble in the first place (though he didn't fully realize this yet). After a moment, he tilted his head a little so he could see the other's face. He never lifted his eyes enough to meet the leading wolf's eyes however. Why would a pack leader show any interest in a wolf who was currently lame? Useless? Worse than useless? It was beyond Teketa's comprehension. Even so, he could not help but try to hold on to some hope. "No," he repeated, softer this time, "I am... crippled. If I have come too far, I can only beg forgiveness. I am not... as careful as I usually am," His voice danced nervously around the word crippled, but there was a certain defiance in his words - he couldn't be beaten by this. He couldn't let sorrow and exhaustion win! And as he continued to speak, his voice became a little more drained, but earnest. He spoke truly and knew he needed aid, though he daren't ask.

His final words seemed almost an exhausted afterthought: "My name is Teketa Llew. I am at your mercy, my lord."

Inactive No Rank
Sloane Thorben
The other man's pain was apparent and his attempt at hiding his wounded limb seemed a bit belated. Sloane could understand his unspoken fear. He was a lone wolf, injured and unable to care for himself properly. An easy target if one was of that character. Luckily for this stranger, Sloane was anything but merciless, as the wild would be under such circumstances. The chivalry that he'd been born with and seen doled out by his beloved sire were not limited to damsels in distress. They both knew that such an injury was a veritable death sentence to a lone wolf and he could not leave him here to die a possibly slow and painful death. A quick look at the man showed that under better circumstances he was a capable male. He was healthy and strong, save his injury.

The man spoke and admitted that he was not all right, submitting himself to Sloane and his mercy. His respect and his submission was welcomed, but the huge leader didn't want him to cause himself further pain in bowing so low. His wound was fresh and deep. Perhaps Simaea would have something to help the male, Teketa. Making the final decision in his mind, he finally spoke, nudging the other to stand and take weight off of his injured limb. "Teketa, if you are willing and able I would invite you to come to the Caverns with me. We have a novice healer that might be able to aid you. When you are healed, you can decide your future, but I have a mate, growing heavy with young that could use some extra fangs and claws to defend her and our young when they come should you decide to stay." It would be Teketa's choice, but Sloane had a feeling that the kindness that he showed now would be repaid and that the injured male would make a fine addition should he choose to become a Cavern wolf.
Knight of Honor
Teketa Llew
In spite of the concern written in the other's features, Teketa could not bring himself to quite believe he wouldn't be turned away - even killed. Maybe that was why he struggled to keep from flinching as he was nudged gently. He blinked a few times, recognized permission to stand (an action nearly foreign to the dark male) and did so slowly, lest his tired forelimb betray him. Then the other man spoke once more, "Teketa, if you are willing and able I would invite you to come to the Caverns with me. We have a novice healer that might be able to aid you." Teketa almost missed the last sentence in its entirety - he was lost in those first few lines. If his hope had been shattered, then maybe it could be rebuilt...

Dipping in his head, he made to follow wherever Sloane would lead him... to these Caverns. He had come this far already, what was a little further? While his mind argued that point, his body really was saying otherwise: could he really go much further? "I will follow... at least I'll try," he said simply, regarding the other man with an expression that seemed dazed - perhaps even a little confused. Wolves were not kind. She had been kind, and now she was dead! There was no goodness left! ...But clearly that was wrong: here this man was offering the aid of his pack's healer... Teketa saw no choice in the matter. He required help now. If he refused, the penalty was death. And how could he then turn his back on anyone who was willing to simply help him? He could not - would not. If there were no good wolves left, then Teketa in some way wished to defy those odds, even if he came by it awkwardly.

Keeping his posture respectful and shifting his weight to his three healthy limbs, he turned his haunted - if somewhat determined - eyes to Sloane as if to say he was ready. Teketa would repay what he owed. That much was certain.

Inactive No Rank
Sloane Thorben
Sloane could see the confusion on the man's face and it saddened him greatly. He seemed almost as if he expected to be left for dead and perhaps that was the way of some... survival of the fittest and all. But the huge alpha had not been raised that way. Every wolf had some talent, some calling. Some were leaders, some were fighters, some were hunters, healers... teachers. There was a potential spot and purpose for every wolf in a pack. So long as that wolf was loyal and did their best to provide for the pack in whatever way that they could they were welcome.

Right now Teketa was injured, but with a bit of care that wound would heal and he could prove to be a devoted guardian or hunter should he choose to stay. Providing for him now might just deepen that loyalty. Had their positions been reversed it would have been so. He would have devoted himself to the wolf that had saved it. Even if the man chose to leave once he was healed, it was still the right thing to do and he knew that Narime' would feel the same way.

Teketa struggled to gain his footing and still seemed a bit dazed by his turn of fortune, saying that he would try and shifting his weight to ease up on the injured leg. He gave him a wry smile at his words and promised, "We shall go slowly, my friend." As he turned to lead the way towards the Caverns he asked, "If you don't mind my asking, how did you come by such an injury?" His tone allowed that the other man could refuse to answer if he did not wish to. It could have been a simple battle wound from another wolf, but he would like to know if there was more to it or not. They were not very close to home, but if their was a threat in the area, it must be dealt with sooner rather than later.

Knight of Honor
Teketa Llew
"We shall go slowly, my friend."

Teketa's eyes lifted. He didn't smile, but he appreciated the consideration and that much was apparent on his weather facade. Teketa would have been fine proceeding in silence - he might even have preferred it given his current condition. But he could place no adequate price on the aid this wolf offered - this, his... new leader, he supposed. So when Sloane asked a question, Teketa knew he must answer. The dilemma was how to answer.

The black wolf realized how shameful it was to have been beat down by one wolf only half his size. But then, he'd been ambushed! No, not even ambushed. He'd seen her coming. He'd merely never expected an attack. There was no point in sounding strong or bold - Teketa may have been the former once but he certainly wasn't the latter. It wasn't as if he could be any more emasculated right now anyway. He limped after the bigger male, one luminous eye following Sloane's face as Teketa finally parted his maw to answer:

"I took my morning on the rise, east of here," he began, though he knew it was hardly necessary to mention a location. If Sloane realized how far Teketa had come - how tired he really was - maybe he wouldn't ask anymore questions. Before he continued, his nose scrunched in the threat of a snarl, "I was attacked by a woman. Called herself Vittani." Yeah... that sounded pathetic. What wolf calls a violence mercy? The snarl disappeared, and the man looked defeated again, his lips turned down so sharply he might never smile again. "I can only gather a little as to why she chose to strike at me. I meant her no harm," he elaborated, not so much to defend himself (though there were touches of that in his voice as well) as to keep the chances of more questions just yet to a minimum. Teketa suspected more questions would come later. But he wanted them to be just that: later.

Inactive No Rank
Sloane Thorben
Sloane could see the slight conflict on the man's face as he considered his response. It was apparent that he was reluctant to talk, whether it be exhaustion or some inner turmoil causing his hesitation was not so apparent. After a few moments Teketa spoke of being attacked by a female called Vitanni, apparently unprovoked. Sloane frowned slightly as he took in this bit of information.

A rogue wolf roaming around, even if not in the immediate area caused his hackles to raise. Memories of the attack on his own family over two years ago flashed through his mind and he had to fight the impulse to increase his speed to get back to his family. He would not let it happen again. Much of his birth pack had been slaughtered by a small band of rogues, with no purpose other than to cause violence. And recently the vile pack to the east had been slaughtered by the packs of the lore, but not before they claimed lives from several of them. Even the hint of such evil made the huge wolf see red. NOTHING would happen to his family. Although no official words had been spoken, he already counted this dark injured male as part of his family and he would get him to safety. Then they would deal with any menace that might threaten them.

He looked once more on the black wolf and saw his exhaustion clear as day. He wished that he could simply allow him to rest, but his instincts urged him even stronger to get back home. When Teketa had bee treated by Simaea and gotten some food and rest, they would delve further into his attack and see if there was something to worry about. He knew that since he'd taken Narime' as his mate and his young grew within her that he'd become exceedingly overprotective. He couldn't help his nature though and thankfully Narime' had the patience to put up with him!

Sloane gave the other man a grim nod of understanding at his words and said, "We will speak more of it once you are rested. We are not too far now." Indeed, when the wind shifted in the right direction, the fiery male's keen nose could pick out the scent Keith mingled with his own much older scent. He'd obviously been the most recent one to patrol the southern edge of their borders. They would be home soon. He gave Teketa a small smile and an encouraging wave of his thick plume.

Knight of Honor