351 Users Online
Google, Bing

Onwards and Upwards — Riddle Heights 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Amritha who has 23 posts.
Inactive III. Subordinate
Kyadi Zaahir
@Ash

Since technically Kyadi has done a bit of traveling (and I jusssssst posted another topic with her yesterday) I'm dating this a couple days ahead (as April 29 rather than 28) if that's okay? ^^;

Setting

April 29, 2013
-17 ° F - 17 ° F, Sunny
Afternoon

After visiting the forests to the west, Kyadi had altered her northern travel-path and now found herself going east, toward the mountains. There had been mountains where she'd come from, but she couldn't remember them being quite so foreboding. Perhaps it was simply because she never approached them except to gather plants for poultices. Unfortunately, Kyadi couldn't say that was why she was here now. Sure, most of the snow had melted off but the landscape was still stark in comparison with what it'd be once spring had arrived properly. The plants Kyadi needed or wanted to gather were either just beginning to bloom or were not ripe yet...

Like skunkbush. Nasty-smelling stuff. None of it was good for picking, though Kyadi could see it grew in abundance here. The she-wolf had been moving at a steady lope, her orange eyes locked ahead of her. She stopped after a few long strides to glance around. Her keen senses got to work then, imprinting this location in her mind for later use - she'd have to come here to gather up supplies once she'd found a proper cave. Somewhere dry and out of the sun and weather to store her things... things she didn't have yet. She supposed that was another reason to approach the mountain. The rocky terrain promised to have a few cracks and crevices she could slip into and work into a suitable den. Once she was settled in, maybe she could do some good. After all, what was the use of poultices and salves without victims- er, patients?

After relieving herself near a shrub, Kyadi began her climb upwards again. She wasn't too old for this yet, she reminded herself, though she could feel the strain in her limbs from the unfamiliar constant incline. After a little while, Kyadi found herself humming a throaty little melody with no particular repetitions or rhythm. She wasn't even trying to be quiet. Aside from her humming though, Kyadi wasn't being particularly noisy either. She looked... bored even. Bored, and alert at the same time. Was such a thing even possible? Kyadi made it possible.

Played by Lightning who has 584 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Ash Hervok

Stress had been highly running within the Poison Path pack and sometimes it had been quite hard for them all the calm down. Between deserters and their own wolves dying, the pack was on a rough start, and it was not helping with any of the pack wolves’ mental stability. Today had been another day that the alpha male had decided to take a chill pill and be alone. It had been some time since he had made any effort to speak to any of his pack mates. Even though he was not speaking to them, he knew he would never leave them though. He would never scoop that low unless ordered to do so by Athena, or whichever male was in charge, considering no man had been able to challenge up to him as of yet. Sometimes he thought that it would just be better if he stayed in his position, leading by Athena’s side, but other days he missed his guardian duties, which had now been replaced with alpha duties, much like, looking after Athena constantly and worrying over her. He feared that when the time came and she delivered, the pack would still be without a Healer, something the pack definitely needed to find soon. Ash would never admit this to anyone though.

His trek towards Riddle Heights did not take long, one of the reasons being, he knew where he was going, and the second being that the pads on his feet were so use to the rough terrain that he could easily travel without complaint. That is one of the reason why you live in the mountains isn’t it? So that you can toughen yourself out? The female voice had once again returned, haunting his mind constantly through the days. He outwardly sighed, wanting answers to why he was hearing his past love’s voice in his head all of the time. Answers seemed to be something that Ash could no longer receive from the world, it being such a cruel place to live sometimes.

His dark body moved like a shadow among the mountains, blending in easily with the rocky area around him. The ‘Ghost of the Mountain’ his pack mates had called him. Always watching, always hearing. The rocks his eyes and the wind his ears, he truly ruled over the mountains like Athena had wished for him to. If only that could remain, if this new job would not interfere with his own sanity. Trying to push the voice away, he let his body move easily through the mountains, only stopping when he spotted an unfamiliar shape and scent among the lands. He did not bother raising his tail, as he was on neutral land. Clearing his throat, he grumbled loud enough for the woman to hear, "You are certainly not from these parts, Miss."

I think I've finally seen the light..in you.
Kyadi Zaahir
I could sooo see Kyadi with a Scottish accent. xD ...but let's face it. Her accent's probably American... :P

After a few minutes, Kyadi's out-of-tune song (if a song made up on the spot could really be out-of-tune) ceased, replaced with nothing more than the humble sounds of nature undisturbed. Kyadi's pace slowed just enough for her to twist her head to look at the sky with one orange eye. Afternoon. Not warm out, but not snowing anymore. Damnable stuff, snow. As her eyes turned forward again she picked up her pace again and ignored the distinct pull in her hindquarters as she moved upwards. If she really thought she was going to find a cave in the mountains she was going to have to work out or something - she just wasn't used to this constant incline!

"You are certainly not from these parts, Miss."

Kyadi paused, her brows lifting as she turned her head left, then right until eyes fixed firmly on a man cloaked in rich browns - not unlike Kyadi's own. Her own pelt tended to seem muted except on her face, with its strong, contrasting markings. She didn't seem too perturbed by the male's appearance or tone, preferring instead to merely continue her gait - very slowly. Each step took a few seconds, for her attention was primarily on him, taking in what she could from a distance. She tilted her head back as she scented the air, catching traces of his odor. Strong male, possibly... possibly with a family or pack around. She doubted she was wrong. Flicking an ear to dismiss her thoughts, Kyadi only stopped moving again when she spoke up:

"Miss?" she chortled, her eyes crinkling in amusement, "You make me sound young!" She said this with one brow still quirked and at least half a grin before she continued on more matter-of-factly: "You be right, lad. I'm from down south," she said, her syllables accented to define a distinctly non-Canadian accent. Then her eyes narrowed, a more astute expression taking over. "Now, I'm assuming there's a particular purpose to your stating such observations. Pack nearby, perchance? I suspect so," she rattled on, hardly bothered. The last wolf she'd met in the forest had been rather.. put off by her. Well, he'd wanted to stop her because she happened to be going toward his pack. Bear Wallow or whatever. Silly man.

The healer became silent for a moment or so before her eyes were half-lidded and her brows lifted slightly to observe the male a moment more. It might be read as an arrogant expression... or simply one of mildest concern, the way her brow furrowed. Perhaps she perceived something more about the earth-hued man before her. Or perhaps she was inclined toward a kinder mood today. In any case, her next question was framed in a gentler tone: "Can I do anything for you?" It had been a while since she'd had a proper storage den or the usual mass of herbs and plants around her. But if the wind was strong enough and the male's senses keen enough, he'd be sure to note the scent of her work on her. Or, perhaps he'd only dismiss her as the odd wolf who smelled more like plant-eating prey than flesh-eating predator.

I could sooo see Kyadi with a Scottish accent. xD ...but let's face it. Her accent's probably American... :P
Played by Ghoff who has 133 posts.
V. Subordinate
Namara Hervok
Sticking miss sunshine in here. If you want it gone just let me know :)

The she wolf limped heavily as if her injured leg were fresh. Gait slow and unsteady, Namara stared blankly around her as Kamota's scent faded from the land. Why would that happen? Why would Kamota die? I was ready to change, ready to be new... why? Her mind, a blank and broken record repeating 'why?' over and over again. Her heart was hollow, thumping in rhythm that felt out of time with life. Namara watched the world pass by now, only extending a forepaw to snatch food from some small crevice. Just enough to live, the she wolf lost her previously gained weight and looked almost sickly. It had not been an exceptionally long period of time since Kamota's passing but she still could not bring herself to eat some days. Nothing made sense anymore, as if everything the she wolf knew had been overturned in her few short months here in the Lore.

She had come into the lands as a hardheaded she wolf with little regard for those around her. Her intentions were set in stone, but then the avalanche, her damaged body. The comfort she found in the very slowly developing friendship between her and Ash seemed fleeting at best. She was always stepping on one of his nerves but still he had not shunned her. Her respect grew for her leaders by the days but what did it mean now? Kamota was gone, what was her purpose in life without him? I promised him I would make it better The thoughts once again turned her stomach and nearly made her vomit. Her promise lay shattered like the remains of her heart.

By the time her wandering paws brought her to riddle heights it was too late, she had spotted Ash and knew she could not turn her back now. So hollow eyed and with a heavy heart she trod towards the voices and scents. Namara reached Ash's side and dipped her head towards him not meeting his eyes even for the brief moments she often tried to. Without a word she fixed a hollow stare on the female before them, no sound escaped her only the faintest spark of curiosity. Herbs, normally she would have spoken, asked is she was healer but no, not now, her mind could not even begin to want interaction. She was only here to show Ash she hadn't given up... yet. Her fractured leg raised just a touch off of the ground, hardly enough to notice, but a flash of her old self shone through and in a brief instant a thought shone through her silvery gaze fixed upon the female. Can you see it? "speech"

Inactive No Rank
Ash Hervok

Watching the older woman in front of him, his lips twitched in the form of a smile at her countering words. At least the lady in front of him seemed to have a sense of humor; something that Ash did not mind in a newcomer, especially a loner that was so far away from his pack lands. It meant that he would not have to be as stern and strict as he was on pack lands. Her way of speaking was particularly different than any other voice that he had ever heard before and her location probably had something to do with it. He was much from the north of the Lore and knew not of what lay south of it, having practically lived in the mountains most of his life. Upon her question as to his whereabouts, all he did was nod his head in answer, knowing that with the lady there was probably not going to be much of a chance to get his own words in there. They remained silent for many moments before she spoke once again. He was sure he scented the herbs clearly on the woman’s pelt, meaning that perhaps…maybe, she would know something about him hearing the voice in his head.

The only thing that stopped him was the fresh scent of his pack mate nearby. No sooner had he thought about it did the woman appear by his side, completely avoiding his gaze, unlike she usually did. This caused his eyebrows to slightly crease, gently nudging her shoulder before turning back to the loner. It was before he spoke that the voice returned, Do you honestly want me to be gone? The question is his mind caused him to freeze, and it might have been a mistake that Ash should not have risked taking…but he did. Instead, clearing his throat, he spoke to the woman in front of him, "Uhh..umm..ahh. I am Ash Hervok and this here is Namara Laylani, ma’am." Nodding his head towards his subordinate as he introduced them to her, he awaited her reply to his dodge at her question.

Kyadi Zaahir
Kyadi thought the man before her might say more, but there was no chance for it: another female approached. She moved like a shadow - not so much in that she was silent or stealthy; she moved like a shadow in the sense she didn't want any one to look at her, to notice her existence... she wanted to be left alone and gone. She wanted light to chase her away so no one could see... This wolf seemed to be suffering from depression. She was thin and scruffy. Kyadi could look scruffy at times, but not sickly - not like this poor young woman. The medicine wolf kept her eyes locked firmly on the newcomer, taking her in step by step and lingering - so briefly, but long enough - on the slight movement of a forelimb, then back to the female's face. Kyadi blinked once slowly and shifted her weight: a natural motion that set her weight on her right foreleg; the slight curve of her own fracture had never quite left and the limb was weaker than it could be, but far from useless. Her eyes seemed to answer back: I see. I know.

Now Kyadi was keenly interested, her droll demeanor suddenly replaced by something decidedly austere. It was back to the male she turned her gaze then, for he was humming and hawing as if he'd been distracted by something. When he did speak, he didn't really answer her question. But Kyadi supposed it had been somewhat rhetorical in nature, hadn't it? Lifting her chin a little higher, the woman managed a hard smile. Ma'am? Now that was a bit better! Not that she had complained about being called "miss" - but it hardly did justice to her experience. Yes, she liked that. "I am Kyadi Zaahir, healer," she paused, almost as if for effect, before she went on in an even tone, "And you both are-" she was suddenly slipping back into her previous manner as she took a deep breath in "-of the same pack. Hmm." Her voice was tinged with some of her bemusement. A half-smile remained on her muzzle as she bowed her head in an exaggerated gesture and plopped her rear down. Her eyes were always watching them just in case she needed to rise again.

She was looking for a cave to settle in. It didn't seem likely a pack would give up the locations of any caves in the area - especially if it was near their borders. Unless, of course, they wanted to strike some sort of bargain with her. Working off of former assumptions, she went with an expression nothing short of business-like: "I need a cave for living and storage purposes if I am to be of any use to anyone. The mountains seem likely to have just the sort of caves and crevices I might need. So many nooks and crannies..." - a peculiar smile passed along her face - "Now. I may not be in a position to make bargains with anyone, much less two pack-wolves like yourselves, but I'd be willing to offer my services for the use of a cave. I'm aware it may be quite near your chosen living space. Perhaps you require the services of one with particular skills, hmm?" And the sharp glint in her eye seemed to suggest she knew - or thought she knew - they could. Then again, Kyadi was also an arrogant ass... so it could just be that too.

"Then again, perhaps you do not and I over-step my bounds," a brow quirked as the woman got to her paws again. "Again, can I be of service?" If not, she wouldn't mind continuing her cave-hunt. On the other paw however, she was curious and keeping tabs on one or both of these wolves might not be a bad idea. The woman - Namara - didn't look well at all. The man - well, Kyadi hadn't decided yet. He was physically fit and seemed sharp. She could judge him later - or at least after he responded.

Well. I guess she's not gonna beat around the bush then, huh? o_o'
V. Subordinate
Namara Hervok
The hollow feeling deep in Namara's heart did not ease even after she saw Kyadi acknowledge in the most subtle way that she understood. Now her gaze simply dropped to her paws. Where once Namara would have interjected and told Ash exactly what she thought, she found that today her voice had failed. Almost by accident, lost in thought she stumbled a little and bumped Ash's side, and promptly sat down to cover her mistake and thoroughly embarrassed. To make matters worse the very tips of the fur on her pelt were brushing his, making her twitch every so often. Truthfully she hoped he knew that she was merely trying her best to cover up her weakness and do her duties at the same time but she doubted it.

Namara felt like she was lost in what was being said. Kyadi made no sense to her, and her rambling only made the grayish female want to snap at her, tell her to be quiet. More because Namara wanted business to be done and to get on with her miserable life than because of Kyadi's talking. Unlike what she had done to that Brenton wolf, this time she just kept her big mouth shut. Sure she's a healer but she sure does beat the same point three times, let Ash deal with her. Namara simply stayed still and swiveled her head from side to side scenting the air and listening for sounds that weren't endless chatter. May as well do something useful, though it won't do much good if we get attacked.

Inactive No Rank
Ash Hervok

Waiting was not something that Ash liked to do on a regular basis, and he was half expecting Namara to voice out something rude or unnecessary, but all he was met with was silence and I bump against his side. Turning his head to look upon his pack mate, brows creased in concern, her pelt brushing against his brought a pink flush to his skin, though his dark skin covered it up easily so that no one could see. Stepping closer to her, as to seem as though they were just pack mates wanting to remain in contact with one another, he let his ears prick forward as the woman in front of him spoke to them both. From the way she spoke, he could tell that she articulated her words much like his own sister, and he had to keep a laugh from escaping his mouth at the irony. Kyadi was a healer as well, not a shock to him considering the smell he had picked up from her.

He pursed his lips attentively, trying to think of what to say to the loner in front of him with her constant questions. It was not something that he liked, but definitely something he could get used to. Lifting his head slightly, he let his green eyes run over her form. For a woman much older than him, she seemed to have a fine time getting up the mountains and she looked in much better shaped than he would of thought a loner her age to be in. Nodding his head to the woman, he spoke calmly, giving her his offer, "Hmm…I believe we could find a few caves for you…however, I would like to offer our home to you for a place to stay. We are a family and bound to one another…if that is what you are looking for and a place to settle down…perhaps you would like to consider joining Poison Path?" He tilted his head at her, curiosity burning in his gaze as he let his tail glide along Namara’s side, as if telling her to behave herself.

In truth, Poison Path desperately needed a healer. Kyadi would hopefully have the experience that the Poisoned wolves needed if she were to agree to his offer. Looking back towards Namara, his eyes took on a worried look to her, as well as keeping his own condition in mind as he stated clearly, "And yes, ma’am. I believe your services would be much appreciated by our pack." He knew that Athena did not like making deals with others, but if she would not agree to the pack, but agree to help them and for the cave, he knew he would take that upon himself. He also wouldn’t mind having another wolf within the ranks. Someone new who wouldn’t leave them, it would be a wonderful start for the pack’s new legacy soon to arrive. What would she do?

Kyadi Zaahir
Kyadi had made her point - not even the densest of wolves could miss it. She was here to help, but she'd need a little help of her own. She waited with some semblance of patience; for as unbridled as she could be at times, she certainly was willing to wait when the results could be of benefit to her. Still, an ear flicked, twisting back before both perked to listen closely to Ash. She watched him keenly with those orange eyes. Ears caught the subtle intonations in his voice; eyes observed the touch of close packmates... but Kyadi suspected that had more to do with the woman's weakened state than anything.

"Hmm… I believe we could find a few caves for you… however, I would like to offer our home to you for a place to stay. We are a family and bound to one another… if that is what you are looking for and a place to settle down… perhaps you would like to consider joining Poison Path? And yes, ma’am. I believe your services would be much appreciated by our pack."

The man seemed to be finished speaking. Head tilting, Kyadi looked engrossed in what he'd offered. A bond? A family? Hmph. Been there, done that. Look where it got me, Kyadi thought rancorously; her face betrayed none of this however as she pulled herself back onto her paws. She dared to pad a little closer now, so they could see one another a little more clearly. Her expression was thoughtful, if not a little steely. Her lips were stretched into a wan smile, revealing the very tips of her fangs in a rogue-ish fashion. A woman wounded and a mystery-boy that stated clearly they could use the aid of a healer. A bold move. It would be easy enough to live nearby in some cave, but... her "deal" could work just as well if she accepted the offer before her. She stood still for a moment, then tucked her ears and tail in a likeness of submission. Can't say I'm much of a 'family' wolf anymore... But then, she mused, she supposed she wouldn't completely mind being part of a pack again...

"Then we can help one another." The healer paused, appearing to mull his offer over one last time before continuing: "I suppose I accept your... offer then. Inclined as I am to keep to myself... well. I'll do what I can," she rolled her shoulders in a wolfish shrug, her smile much the same as it'd been previously. As noncommittal as her answer seemed, her eyes allowed them to see her interest. If it didn't work out for her... she'd leave, simple as that. But such things she was not inclined to say aloud. As long as she was needed, Kyadi would stick around however. It had been a while since she'd been in a pack. Could be interesting. "'Poison Path.' Curious name," she noted aloud, more to herself but for their ears as well. The irony of the healer joining such a pack was not lost on her. But any medicine could be a poison if used the right away.

V. Subordinate
Namara Hervok
Initially, she hadn't picked up much from the conversation. Merely a moments interest to see if Kyadi was indeed a healer as Namara had guessed. She was proven right by the female and that was that. Once again the large grayish she wolf tuned in and out. Snips of conversation merely flowed around her head and she thought, She really doesn't shut up does she? Of course even Namara had wanted to speak, she wouldn't, what could she possibly say that would have any meaning whatsoever to the female before her. Nothing, and that was that.

Her attention was re-established once Ash offered her a position in the pack. You sure you want to hear this she wolf chattering about everything all day Ash? It was the very first positive thought Namara had since she leaned of Kamota's death. It was the tiniest ray of light shined on all the pain and suffering she had borne, all her regret for treating him badly in the beginning and not being there to bury him to say goodbye in the end, began to hurt just a little less. Namara finally opened her mouth, though the voice sounded wrong, like it was coming from a strange place, or someone else, "Named for the nightshade that grows here." That was all, that escaped her jaws, with that she turned and paced away only to stop and settle herself in case Ash called to Athena before initiating the she wolf. Namara wanted no part of anything right then, she was merely there.