(See All?) Announcements
343 Users Online
Bing, Tuwile, Google

rest your head
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Selk who has 32 posts.
Inactive III. Subordinate
Lyr
Lyr's head was still fuzzy and the wound that oozed was still stinging. With the rain that continued to splatter down on them, she wasn't sure if it was bleeding as heavily any more. She remembered his tongue, washing over the wound. She had been at once mortified and soothed. It had been a long time since someone had given her such tenderness, even though he remained stoic and dutiful the whole way they walked.

They walked as one, hobbling together. He was well-fed compared to her, who had relied on her own skills for years. Unfortunately her skills were not the best, and it showed. Somewhere in the back of her exhausted mind she wondered where her curves went. Her eyes were tired but still pretty. Perhaps with a few good meals she would not be so ashamed of herself? She pushed these thoughts away, cursing herself for being empty-headed. Several times they stopped for her to catch her breath, and each time she got a bit stronger. Her breathing grew deeper and deeper, but also got slower. She had no idea what she was about to walk into, and so spent the walk silent and regaining control of her mind.

She saw rock, rain, her paws, Chulyin, and the path they walked on. She heard the sounds of rain, her breath, his breath, her stomach's growls, and thunder. She smelt blood, rain, sweat, fear, and wet fur. She felt her wobbly steps, his strong support, the slickness below her feet, the coolness on the wind, and the water running down her fur.

Chulyin had howled before and they paused at a place that smelt like a border despite the rain. Lyr sat down but kept her front end up, resting her head on his shoulder. She felt like she could fall asleep here, and wondered how safe she would be if she did. What did she know about living up in the rocks? The forest was her haven. She still saw little vegetation and this disturbed her. Where would she find the herbs to heal herself? "I am no mountain wolf," she declared sadly.

ooc: shitty little thread start
Played by Bryony who has 171 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Chulyin Nyanquet
All the way up and around the path, Chulyin could only wonder what he was dragging this picaro into. He knew nothing of her, other than her rather eccentric nature and how she was not used to the mountains. Once she passed the border into Nomad's Pass, would she ever leave? Was he dragging her into a prison in order to help her heal? The con might've outweighed the pro. He tried not to dwell on it, deciding instead that he'd take responsibility for her, should she disappear one day. Along their little journey a few breaks were taken, and he noticed a bit more energy in her step. Despite the rain still falling, she seemed to maintain their pace, though every so often he would glance downward to ensure that their paws were still moving in unison.

In time, they reached the peak, the plateau, and he slowly came to a stop, settling carefully to his haunches after she had. He'd already howled a little ways down, so hopefully they would be coming soon. He'd sat them down a few yards from the border. After being gone for so long, assignment or not, he didn't want to bring a stranger in, even though she was suffering some sort of head trauma. He noted, without speaking or moving, that she'd gotten rather comfortable against him, and though he felt mild discomfort at this, did not move. She was tired, that was all. Amber eyes traveled southward, more or less looking at the top of her head, before fixating them into the distance, hoping to pick out a familiar shape.

One ear twitched as Lyr spoke, and his eyes shifted again. <b style="color:#a51919">"Adapt and persevere," He answered, voice even. <b style="color:#a51919">"Near the far end of these lands are trees, if that is what you prefer." He then added, remembering the white stag they'd encountered some time ago. <b style="color:#a51919">

Lurking until the end of July - Please PM/tag me to get my attention
Lyr
Adapt and persevere.

Lyr took this in with closed eyes and had a burning urge to say something right back at him. He didn't know what it was like to be thrust into a strange environment, to be falsely led by your own mind, he didn't know how well she truly was at adapting. With every emotion she adapted, with every heart beat she persevered. The more she thought about this the angrier she got, until it came time to demonstrate to herself just how flexible she truly was. Things went dizzy... And she breathed.

She breathed until the world stopped turning and then she examined where she'd led herself. Her thoughts were mostly assumptions, she knew - she had no idea anything about him nor how he had survived his life. Everyone had secrets... And although she had only gotten a few words out of him, she had come to understand that while what he said could be callous and blunt, he at least meant every word. He had gone out of his way to help her, and now was trying to give her a place to stay. And it wasn't bad advice. She pulled her head off of him and tried holding it on her shoulders evenly, sitting up like a lady would. She was nervous about meeting someone new. "What do you suggest?" She finally said, picking her words more cautiously than she would have normally. She allowed him to make his own conclusions on what she was asking. Surprisingly, she just couldn't stand the silence.
Inactive No Rank
Chulyin Nyanquet
Silence seemed to be the name of them game between then, and Chulyin didn't mind. It was not as though he found the woman annoying, but rather he was silent by nature. He was used to nothingness. Of course, silence only made him more aware of other things around him. Like how intentional her withdrawal felt. For the first time in hours, there was no more weight against him. He couldn't help but feeling slightly offended, somewhere within the bowels of his soul, as though his words had somehow offended her, though that hadn't been his intention at all. But he mentally shrugged the feeling off. The fact that she felt able to support herself was certainly a good sign, and his mind fell back into its regular throes.

Amber eyes continued to stare off into the distance, still waiting. His tail gave a single thump against the earth, an absentminded motion. With the arisal of another question, he turned his head towards her again, mulling over her question. It seemed rather wide in scope. He could suggest many a thing to her. But perhaps it would have been wisest to simply get her over the borders first. <b style="color:#a51919">"Not unlike any leaders, my sister and her consort command respect. I recommend showing it to them." He suggested, his eyes hard. This was quite serious, for it they sent her away, he would have no choice but to leave her behind. <b style="color:#a51919">"My sister is Naira, and the other, Mapplethorpe. Be cautious around him. He believes in loyalty and I know that they have been betrayed many times." He thought for a moment, thinking about the trees again. A scowl passed over his features and his ears twisted back. Looking up again, his voice was a grumble, <b style="color:#a51919">"It isn't too late to turn back," He said. <b style="color:#a51919">"I cannot promise you a better home than this, but..." He ceased and squared his jaw once more, the unhappy look gone. This woman was a stranger and he was dragging her into his home, among his family members who had been hurt so many times before. He felt a great uneasiness settle over him, uncertainty suddenly filling his mind. <b style="color:#a51919">

Played by becuffin who has 860 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Naira Tainn

Anyone who isn't us
• NAIRA AQUILA •
is an enemy

She barely heard the howl for the static of rain and the rolling of thunder. She had taken a trip to the far end of the Pass, where the valley had previously flooded to check on the water levels after all this rain. The mud had squished between her paws, and while the trees managed to block the sky, the rain still fell in fat drops - fatter for the way they rolled together on the leaves before falling to the floor. Golden eyes took in the rising water - taking solace in the knowledge that it would never reach their dens far further up the Pass.

But summoned she had been. So her pace increased as she turned and headed back towards the heights of her kingdom. The trees began to thin as she followed the roiling stream, threatening to burst it’s banks but not quite there yet. Past the cascading of the small falls and the boulder from which Rhysis had called their first hunt. Further yet past @Mapplethorpe’s tree and the den that they all shared, and further yet, over rocky ground, an icy wind from the peak of the mountain, whipping her quickly thickening coat in all directions. Her eyes squinted shut against the icy blast as she crested the last of the rise and her eyes fell back on her brother... and the stranger at his side.

A nasty knock to the head but at least she was standing on her own. The pair were conversing as the tawny woman walked forward confidently, only pausing to shake the rain from her fur. No words were spoken as her golden eyes all but burned holes in the smaller woman at her brothers side while she waited for an explanation.

template base by GINNYSAURUS | image by GREY
[Image: chase.gif]
[Image: naira_by_becuffin-dawj8rp.png]

Lyr
He spoke of respect very seriously, but Lyr fought to not roll her eyes. Such was the way of pack wolves, constantly giving shows of dominance and believing themselves better than those who lived on her own. She knew much about the demands of respect in a pack heirarchy, but knew little of giving it. She had a habit of asking obtrusive questions and ignoring the demands of others... But she was told to be careful, and further about their experiences with betrayal. She knew what that tasted like, and suddenly she was glad for him and happy he was explaining this. Suddenly she didn't feel like she was walking into darkness. She wondered who had betrayed them. She wondered how they had persevered.

"I cannot promise you a better home than this, but..." he began, but she shook her head immediately. "It is probably best we don't make each other promises. Promises breed betrayal," she said darkly, and with that the outline of a wolf appeared.

She was clearly much larger than Lyr and had eyes that burned holes into Chulyin and herself. Lyr's steady gaze easily held hers, however, and she quietly took her in. Respect, she tried to remember, but wasn't sure whether to give her a smile or not. Usually smiles caught others off guard, and when they were off guard Lyr was able to size them up... But this was different. This was Naira, who looked expectantly without speaking, who demanded answers without asking questions. Silent words must have been passing between the two. Lyr finally decided to avert her eyes altogether, hoping it was enough of a sign of respect to appease her.

Lyr turned her gaze instead towards Chulyin's paws and her shoulder slowly rested upon his as she waited, silent.
Inactive No Rank
Chulyin Nyanquet
The man was already on edge enough without Lyr making such a cryptic statement. With every passing second, he knew that he'd made a mistake. It seemed as though this was becoming a pattern in his life. The steadfast knight was beginning to slip up somehow and it was frustrating. He had failed to find Aniu, a large blotch on his near-flawless record, and now...Would this woman simply become another check mark on his list of failures? Would he unintentionally bring his family further heartache? As Naira's outline appeared, steadily gaining shape and color, the man had no choice but to have faith in his own choices. A moment of doubt, a flash of uncertainty, could bring four years of trust and love tumbling down, and he could not begin to fathom what the physical consequences would be.

His tail, which had not left it's dominant position since he'd found Lyr earlier, finally fell, and he felt mild relief, unaware of how long he'd really been holding it like that. Thankfully he was already sitting, the injured woman's weight faintly against him again. For some reason, that action gave him hope. Whatever had unsettled him, that small show was somewhat reassuring. The golden gaze of his sister was not on him, but rather their company. He glanced down himself, further reassurance that she'd taken his advice. Thankfully they had. Chulyin did not let the silence linger and uncertainty breed for long. <b style="color:#a51919">"I traveled a ways down the mountain and found her, Lyr," He stated smoothly. <b style="color:#a51919">"Her injury is partially my doing and so I offered her assistance in the form of shelter." He finished, keeping his voice strong, confident. <b style="color:#a51919">"I'm prepared to take responsibility for her."

But the man had carried on for far too long. Strange how a lack of confidence seemed to bring words out of him. <b style="color:#a51919">

Played by becuffin who has 860 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Naira Tainn

Anyone who isn't us
• NAIRA AQUILA •
is an enemy

The girl looked away and Naira’s posture relaxed some, her eyes taking on a warmer tone as she watched her brother with a small smile, knowing just how uncomfortable he was from they way he spoke... For the fact he spoke at all. “You always did have a way with the ladies.” she teased her sibling. “To think the poor girl went and threw herself off a cliff fleeing your ugly mug...” She was exaggerating of course and her joke carried freely with her baiting smile. Her brothers only problem with girls had been his inability to hold a conversation and had nothing to do with his looks at all.

Making up her mind quickly, she chose to trust his judgement (as she always did) and purposefully moved forward, brushing her nose along the girls spine and taking in her scent properly, her tail wagging behind her comfortably as she carefully pressed her chest and flank to the girl, taking note of her hurts along the way. “I’m pretty sure we have some goldenrod and willow bark stashed at the back of the cache by the birthing den...” She mentioned to the dark wolf - he had endured all the basic training she and her other siblings had endured, even if Naira had been the only one to pursue it further. “It might help to take away some of the aches at least.”

She took a step back to look at the pair one last time, a smile and a small shake of her head before she turned back towards her home. “Welcome to Nomad’s Pass Lyr. I’m sure Chulyin will fill you in on our expectations and rules...”

template base by GINNYSAURUS | image by GREY

(happy for this to be Naira's exit - I think if you do one more each we'll hit 10?)
[Image: chase.gif]
[Image: naira_by_becuffin-dawj8rp.png]

Lyr
Chulyin was calm in his speech but his body was stiff. He would be responsible for her now... The idea made Lyr realize how tense he was, and by turn this worried her. Was there something she should be doing to prove herself further? Anxiety might have prickled her, but she had felt enough emotions the past few days. Her mind was quiet and dead. She was merely an observer of the situation.

So why a rush of thankfulness crashed over her when Naira smiled she couldn't say. It was cathartic - hell, she even cracked a smile at her jest before sneaking a quick glance at Chulyin. It was to test his reaction, she told herself, but truly she was gaining more snapshots of him. Did he have an ugly mug? It wasn't something she had the option to consider, for then his sister was greeting her in a fashion Lyr mimicked as they both gathered the natural scents of the other. “I’m pretty sure we have some goldenrod and willow bark stashed at the back of the cache by the birthing den...” The words were not directed to her but she took note anyways. Goldenrod and willow bark would do fine for now. Truthfully she had expected to go without herbs, given the barren climate... But Chulyin had mentioned a forest close by, and she resolved to go there immediately to forage.

That is, after she'd gotten some sleep. "Thank you," she said calmly, hoping the words were enough. When Naira turned her back, Lyr visibly deflated. She'd had enough of hope, it had given her nothing but misery. She stood and turned to Chulyin with a faint smile as if to say, we did it! She gathered any last bits of energy and said loudly, "You heard Naira, now's as good of a time as any to fill me in on the rules..." And then she screwed up her face, considering her next words. "She trusts you," Lyr observed plainly, quiet enough that only he would hear above the rain. When they'd exchanged glances, a sudden wicked look crossed her face. "You've dug you're own grave - I'm terrible at remembering rules," she said with a weak smile. With this, she plodded forward after Naira, ready for Chulyin to lead her wherever it was the herbs were. As she went, Lyr tried to take in the experience that stupid white goat had led her to.

/exit Lyr - who is blue! squeee!
(This post was last modified: Oct 10, 2013, 04:25 AM by Lyr.)
Inactive No Rank
Chulyin Nyanquet
His sister's playful jest caused the male to crack an awkward flash of a smile. What had he gotten himself into? It wasn't his desire to give Naira reason to assume, although that was probably the last thing she'd really been doing. The woman did her routine with the new girl and mentioned something about medicine. The words were familiar in his ears, he could almost picture their necessity. Chulyin relaxed a bit more, his tail beginning a lazy wag behind him and he nodded at his sibling, dedicating the herbs to memory. Perhaps Lyr would have a better idea of their exact purposes. He then cleared his throat and gave a curt, calculated nod.

As Naira began to make her way away, he turned his copper gaze upon Lyr, acknowledging her smile with his own warm silence. His agitation and discomfort had mostly faded away with his sister's approval. He held back a slight chuckle, any signs of it drowned in the rain. <b style="color:#a51919">"She is my sister." He answered, as though it were natural. Family trusted one another. He followed after the new recruit then, stretching his stride a bit further to lead her towards the den. <b style="color:#a51919">

/Chulyin exit