(See All?) Announcements
734 Users Online
Bing, Google, Baidu

I don't Wanna be a Loner, Never Did
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Render who has 96 posts.
Inactive II. Subordinate
Hati “Taras” Roukan

By this time Hati knew this side of Serpent's Pass well enough. He had entered Relic Lore by the Verdant Mosses and traveled north from there, never lagging in hunger, and never thirsting, for the stream of refreshing water was constant and he rarely strayed from its twisting path. The chain of forests between here and there were easily taken on as they never ceased to provide game once he had abandoned the border of Relic Lore and wandered deeper into the secret lands.

On the south end of Red Fern Forest, though, he broke away from the creek and into the bright woods, unsure of why he was leaving behind the stream that had sustained him throughout the journey. But it was no big deal so he did not turn back, only kept going straight without any destination. After traveling for a good part of the day his pace slowed and his ears perked towards a new noise.Ahead he could hear the melodious sound of foaming rapids, which, for some reason, attracted him strangely and before too long he stood at the top of the falls surveying the woods below. It was too rough for a drink up here though, so he picked his way carefully to the bottom and retreated downstream a short ways until the water was not in such turmoil.

Now the Secret Falls lay before him in immense beauty and mystery; the sound of water crashing over the sharp rocks below was overpowering. Without hesitation, (he had not drank for a while) Hati waded into the water and began to lap it up gladly. He had scented numerous wolves around here, so it would not do to stay for long, but for now he wouldn't worry. The clear liquid tasted too good to think about the future or the past.

(This post was last modified: Oct 09, 2013, 12:12 AM by Hati.)
Played by Mimi who has 313 posts.
Inactive Deceased
Maksim Baranski
what if i say i'm not like the others?
what if i say i'm not just another one of your plays?
you're the pretender, what if i say i will never surrender?

Maksim had stepped up to the position of leader upon his return as Kade’s den ridden state had not changed. Wordlessly, he wandered the territory, keeping to the borders, leaving his scent and markers wherever it had grown weak. The agouti beast’s heart stung as it became more and more apparent that the sounds of others bustling through the territory had grown oh so weak. He missed the noises of them all. The newcomers were elusive and the leader had not seen a fleck of their fur yet. Was everything to wind up disappointing him?

Anger bubbled beneath his skin, like molten lava oozing through his veins, with each long stride he took along the borders. This was the life he sought, yes, but it was achieved completely the wrong way. He had set out to make a name for himself and had he done that? No, he’d simply been handed everything he should’ve fought for in ways that caused his muzzle to wrinkle slightly. He was a proud man and ever since he was a child, he had wanted to be a valiant knight of some sort. Surely this wasn’t the world he had dreamed of exposing himself to when he left Tall Trees? It almost felt unfair. Regardless, he was still here. He would do his duty as he always had but now with the title of “leader” on his tongue. The borders he traced did not feel like his, though. Not quite.

Speaking of duty, his observant verdant gaze caught sight of a black coated man wading into the water where it calmed, lapping at the cooling liquid. His tail rose up, rigid and straight—he was the dominant one now—, as he approached the dark coated male. Mist swirled at his ankles with each step and the rumble of the falls in the background spurred him on. <b style="font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#70863f;">“Evening, stranger. You’re rather close to Darkwater Rapids’ borders.” He came to a halt, not too far from where the black coated loner stood within the calmer currents. <b style="font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#70863f;">“My name is Maksim Baranski, leader of this pack,” yet only in name, not in heart, <b style="font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#70863f;">“is there something I can assist you with?”<b style="font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#70863f;">

(This post was last modified: Oct 01, 2013, 05:03 PM by Maksim.)

we are shining in the rising sun, as we are floating in the blue
Inactive II. Subordinate
Hati “Taras” Roukan

Immersed in the task of refreshing his body with the water coming from the falls upstream, Hati did not notice the heavy scent of another wolf until a demanding voice jerked him back to reality. Mentally kicking himself for having been so reckless (but keeping a collected outward appearance) as to not keep a constant lookout, he lifted his head from the creek's surface and regarded the tawny male. The brute that stood before him was the alpha of the nearby pack, a fact which was indubitable even before Maksim spoke it in words. His tail was raised high in a show of dominance and his words were laced with mistrust towards the unknown loner. It occurred to Hati that perhaps he had wandered too close to the pack's borders for their comfort.

Once he had summed up the stranger Hati climbed out of the creek onto dry ground with his head moderately low in submission. A new thought had begun to bubble up inside of him, a renewed hope from the past. Was there a chance he could be accepted into a pack? The question had been answered so many times and yet still the black outcast refused to accept it. He had been created to serve a pack, and he would do so.

Now came the problem of communication. It was always the greatest hindrance for, without the ability to explain, the missing eye always was rejected. By the time an alpha realized that the strange black loner standing before was not being arrogantly silent he already hated him. Such was the scenario Hati had faced many times and, at all costs, had to avoid now even if it meant casting a little bit of dignity aside.

His golden eyes lowered and he dropped to his knees, then his side, before rolling onto his back and twisting his neck to reveal the tiny scar. Hopefully Maksim would spot the light gray line marring Hati’s throat. If not…this whole act was hopeless and horribly undignified.

(This post was last modified: Oct 09, 2013, 12:12 AM by Hati.)
Inactive Deceased
Maksim Baranski

As the black coated stranger lifted his head, water dripping from his chin, Maksim could not help but take notice of the one closed eye, a sure sign that it was infected or possibly missing. How had the older male earned such an injury? A fight with another wolf? Maybe a hunt gone wrong? Any number of things could have been the cause, but the Baranski was far too dignified to bring up something that could have been, potentially, a traumatising experience for the black loner. It was similar to Anastasia mentioning the passing of her old leader; tricky subjects were often avoided in conversation by the Baranski. He’d rather not risk it, so to speak. Instead, the agouti male focused on that one remaining golden eye, carefully watching the vagabond’s every move. Whilst Maksim himself was not distrustful of the loner, he was curious about him.

Slowly, the male crept from the water, head low, and Maksim squared his shoulders slightly, approving of the submission but slightly agitated by the lack of response the black male gave. He had never encountered someone mute before so the whole situation was lost on him. The loner drew ever closer and Maksim kept his stoic gaze focused on him, staring him down slightly. No funny business, now; the Darkwater wolf was no push over. He was also ready and able to chew apart any wolf who tried something sly with him. Closer still he came until Maksim witnessed something very odd. The loner dropped to his knees, rolled slowly to his back and displayed his neck. Utterly lost for words—a rare occurrence nowadays—, Maksim just couldn’t quite understand what the stranger was doing until his almost reptilian scrutinising stare fell upon the thin, silver scar snaking across the dark male’s neck. The final puzzle piece snapped into place.

<b style="font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#70863f;">“You can’t speak,” he muttered, his cold glare growing somewhat softer at the realisation, <b style="font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#70863f;">“can you?” The leader’s lips pulled downwards into a slight frown. How had a loner survived without a voice? Unsure of how to converse with the mute man, Maksim searched for something to say. <b style="font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#70863f;">“Are you trying to find a home for winter, sir?” Winter in the Lore could be harsh time from what he had heard. This loner might not have a single chance of survival alone! But what was he to do? Invite a cripple into Darkwater Rapids? Internally, the Baranski scolded himself; he shouldn’t be so judgemental. This battered man could still be useful. He was alive, after all. He had the will to live. That alone could be enough.<b style="font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#70863f;">

(This post was last modified: Oct 01, 2013, 05:02 PM by Maksim.)

Inactive II. Subordinate
Hati “Taras” Roukan

A spark ignited. It washed through Hati's being like a volcano down a mountain, spilling out into his toes and ears and making them tingle with excitement. His heart beat violently as its strongest desire became a possibility by the words of Maksim Baranski, alpha of Darkwater Rapids, who unknowingly had given the black loner before him the first hope he had felt in years. The feeling was so overwhelming that for a short moment he was unable to move or respond. It did not cross his mind that the words spoken were not a promise of acceptance. Only a chance. But even if it had, nothing could have shadowed the thrill he now felt.

First his ears—which had been pressed against his head—slowly perked back up, and then his neck straightened so his face looked on Maksim's. His only eye burned with his answer. Yes! Hati twisted back over on to his stomach and got to his feet. His stance was one of pride and strength, for, though he was rather skinny from living so long as a loner, his body was sturdy. However he was careful to keep his pride under control lest he appear arrogant or too hasty. Flipping onto his back in an extreme show of submission had been a good start, as it made up for what he could not utter. But now he had to somehow show that he was stronger than a missing eye. And he was. Hunting was not a problem if he could be on the left side of the animal. A fight with another wolf would likely end in disaster...not that he planned to do so anytime in the near future. He was not so set back as it seemed.

I will be a strong wolf in your pack. I will hunt for food, I will defend the borders with all of my power. My nose and ears are stronger than most, not because of any unique ability, but because I have learned how to read the scents in the air, and how to listen. I promise that as a member of your pack I will make it stronger, and never weaker.

If only he could speak.

(This post was last modified: Oct 09, 2013, 12:13 AM by Hati.)
Inactive Deceased
Maksim Baranski

Maksim watched, his gaze rather stoic, as a fire lit up in the loner’s eye as if he hadn’t expected a question to be asked like that, as if his entire life had been nothing but rejection, as if he’d never even be given a chance. Life was survival of the fittest; it was brutal and judgemental, merciless and cold. If a leader sized someone up and then deemed them to be useless then their minds would not be changed. No one wanted an extra mouth that could not feed itself, especially during winter. Many wolves, not just leaders, couldn’t look past the outside appearance, couldn’t hear words unspoken. The Baranski listened, though. He tried his best to see—to understand. The extreme submission the loner had offered him portrayed words they could not speak. He was respectful. He understood the importance of ranks. He was not ashamed to bow down.

Still, the agouti male remained quiet and simply watched as the stranger stood upright, trying to portray as much strength that he possibly could in his posture. There was a strange underlying desperation to the whole atmosphere, as if this nameless brute couldn’t afford to be turned away, not again. Maksim squared his shoulders and lifted his chin, peering down at the black vagabond. <b style="font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#70863f;">“Very well then. I’ll give you a chance to prove yourself, seeing as you cannot bargain your piece with words.” Blunt and stern, his voice was a rumble in his chest as he addressed the loner. <b style="font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#70863f;">“You must find some way to show me that you are capable, that you will serve your superiors and perform your duties as a member of Darkwater Rapids.” It seemed a fair enough request—the black brute would show the Baranski just how capable he was and, in turn, he would earn his spot among the others, safe for winter and with family. <b style="font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#70863f;">“Does that seem fair to you, sir?”

<b style="font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#70863f;">

(This post was last modified: Oct 01, 2013, 05:03 PM by Maksim.)

Inactive II. Subordinate
Hati “Taras” Roukan

He was a member of a pack now. For the first time in nearly five years Hati could feel a sense of purpose, the thing he had been striving for all his life, the thing that always avoided his grasp. As a loner the most one could do is prove himself the strongest. Hati had done this many times, but achieved nothing, for in the end he always moved on and surrounded himself with strangers if only to leave the past behind. Once again he would face ignorant loners like himself who demanded words which he could not give. Now the chance to remain with those he could trust and not fight against had offered itself so easily to him and he had seized it.

The tawny alpha had begun speaking, so Hati listened intently with ears pricked forward, shoulders squared, tail loose. Every last word was important; he couldn't afford to do anything wrong anymore. Yes, he would prove himself to be as strong as any other, perhaps stronger for the many hardships he had passed through before. Serving would not be difficult; he was tired of living for himself. Anything that could be done would be done to keep his new place in Darkwater Rapids.

After Maksim had finished speaking Hati closed his eye and dipped his head in agreement with the alpha's last words. The ebony male, no longer merely a loner, was ready to begin the new life set before him. His golden eye involuntarily drifted past the large, muscular wolf standing before him and wondered where exactly the pack's borders lay. The thought struck him that now he would have a name. Of course it wouldn't be his rightful name, but it would stick with him even as he stuck with the pack, and he would be called by it. A welcome idea.

Then his golden eye returned to his alpha. Shall we go then?

Inactive Deceased
Maksim Baranski

The new Darkwater subordinate nodded his head and Maksim smiled, eyeing his new member with a newfound sense of enjoyment. It felt good to accept someone into a pack, to be able to have that power. It felt good to tell another wolf they would have to push to be the best that they could be and even better when they agreed to it. Truthfully, the leader had high hopes for Darkwater’s newest addition; their disabilities certainly would not affect his desire to do well, now would it? In fact, the agouti brute was positive that it would make him want to strive even more. Maksim wasn’t going to baby him just because he was missing an eye and a voice either. He’d speak on behalf of the male when possible but everything else would be up to him. The Baranski would be his friend—his leader—but he was not going to be his carer.

So, the Darkwater leader would quickly complete the acceptance. He stepped forwards, brushed up against both sides of Hati to transfer the scent across. He’d seen his father do it, seen Ava and Kade do it and now it was his turn to mark someone as his own follower. The first in a long line, he had hoped. <b style="font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#70863f;">“Welcome to Darkwater Rapids.” Taking his place in front of the black male again, Maksim nodded his head behind him. <b style="font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#70863f;">“Shall I take you to the den site?” And off he went, completely expecting his pack mate to follow … it would be so much easier if he simply had a name. Well, he probably did. He just couldn’t say it now, could he?

Maksim paused momentarily, before eyeing the dark male. <b style="font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#70863f;">“I think we should settle on something to call you quickly. Would that help?” He hummed thoughtfully, giving a flick of his ear as he thought. Once again, he was returned to the stories of his childhood, of princes and monsters, of knights and maidens. A particular story sprang to mind, one of his favourite, and the hero’s name came with the recollection. The Scarred One …

<b style="font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#70863f;">“How does Taras sound to you?”<b style="font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#70863f;">

(This post was last modified: Oct 01, 2013, 08:03 PM by Maksim.)

Inactive II. Subordinate
Hati “Taras” Roukan

The two scents mingled, and the black, one eyed brute was no longer his own. His life belonged to his pack and it was his duty now to serve them with the many skills and strengths he had acquired as a loner. This he accepted gladly after nearly five years struggling to maintain his own hateful existence that, in the long run, meant nothing.

This pack he now swore himself to seemed strong if its leader was any example. The dark male knew he would make it even stronger. His thoughts wandered back to the short season he had been a part of Oak Song—the pack he and his mother had fled to—and spent his days working to make life hard for the rest of wolves who worked hard and risked their lives to feed a fool like him. He had been an embarrassment to the Oak Song legacy itself, and when he grew wiser, to himself as well. The scars adorning his black coat would never free him from the shame he took in receiving them. Now he could avenge himself.

The scene tried to reply itself in the back of Hati's ebony head, but he tossed it aside and followed his new alpha towards the heart of Darkwater Rapids, to the dens that he would call home from this moment on. His feet were light against the bank of the river leaving nearly unnoticeable footprints, his tail wagged violently back and forth, his tongue flopped low from his parted jaws. This day was indeed a good day, and the Darkwater Rapids subordinate reveled in his fortune.

Then the huge alpha spoke to him again bringing up the many times repeated subject of a name. By this time it bothered Hati little. On the contrary the brute felt excitement at the thought of having a name to be known by, that wouldn't be used once and then cast aside. Hati watched expectantly with an inquisitive eye, still ecstatic. It was fortunate he did not understand the meaning of the word the agouti male had suggest, for it immediately would have been rejected. As it was, Taras sounded just fine, even honorable, to him.Another dip of the head was all that was needed to confirm the alpha's choice before he followed him home.

Inactive Deceased
Maksim Baranski
Finished with this last post, I think. Archiving it!

Truthfully, the name “Taras” did mean “rebel” in Russian tongue, yet the reason it was bestowed upon the newest Darkwater Rapids subordinate was not for that connotation. From the stories he had heard as a child, Maksim believed that Taras was a great wolf, a powerful brute who had many weaknesses and overcame them all. Perhaps this black man’s story would be similarly great. It mattered not that the agouti leader’s new acquaintance and follower was half blind, nor that he couldn’t talk. What truly mattered was the man behind the weaknesses: a man willing to bend to extremes to prove himself. That was what had captured the Baranski male’s attention. Not many wolves displayed their vulnerable throats but he had. He had wanted to belong so badly—wanted to work and live—that he had potentially opened himself up to cold-blooded murder.

If that wasn’t the start of a great tale, then Maskim wasn’t sure what would be.

A dip of the one-eyed man’s head was enough to confirm that he was, indeed, fine with the name given to him. Taras. It was a strange thing Maksim had just done; he had never named a wolf before. With a chuckle, the leader wagged his tail and eyed Taras. <b style="font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#70863f;">“Well Taras,” he began, his voice relatively calm, <b style="font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#70863f;">“welcome home.” Perhaps it would only be temporary home, should the black creature be unable to prove his worth within the Rapids’ ranks. Perhaps he would soar with flying colours, proving everyone who had ever turned him down wrong. He was not useless. He could do—and would do—fine. One thing would remain certain, though. The brief journey to the pack’s den would be done so in silence.<b style="font-family:georgia; font-size:11px; color:#70863f;">