Bing, Google

Your heart rolls on like a frozen freight train
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Alace who has 323 posts.
Inactive Deceased
Naia Aegina
OOC|| @Astra or @Maksim, please. ||

♦♦♦♦♦

Naia’s honey eyes were open at the first sign of dawn peeking through the Cedar branches. The daylight hours were growing shorter, and she wanted to utilize as many of them as possible for her mission today. She squirmed her petite body through the opening of the shallow den she had carved into a snowdrift, the entryway collapsing on top of her as she emerged from the burrow like a pup from the womb. After a slight struggle she was free of the snowy cell, and she shook the remaining flakes from her smooth pelt of mottled browns. In the last day or so the weather had taken a turn for the worse; Naia already felt chilled to her very core after being exposed for just a few breaths. Eager to start moving and generating some heat energy, she sniffed around the collapsed den for a moment before unearthing the frozen pronghorn flank—the only remains from the carcass she found on the Rise above the meadow. Her belly gave a rumble as her teeth closed around the haunch, but instead of consuming the meal the delicate female carried it with her as she traveled deeper into the forest. She had no right to this meat; it was to be a gift for whichever River Wolf leader greeted her at the border.

Naia felt a shiver of anticipation roll down her spine. Never before had she approached the border of a pack she knew so little about; never before had she implored a pack membership from a strange alpha. The nearer she drew toward the border, the more her stomach clamped up with nerves—perhaps it was a good thing she had no meal this morning. She stopped in her tracks as she came within scenting distance of the River Wolves’ border. The scent marker was unmistakable; it was the delightful smell of the fresh moist earth found near a water source mixed with a slight hint of the tangy marsh nearby. With a scent like that, no doubt the River Wolves had a den carved into the soil by a riverbank (hence her naming them ‘River Wolves’). Naia dared herself to hope that tonight she would be sleeping there, as opposed to her usual snowy burrow where she could feel her body heat seeping away from her and into the frozen floor below. She dropped the pronghorn limb between her front paws and gave a howl; a polite request for a leader’s audience. Once she was finished, she straightened her back and legs so as to not look quite so small on first impression. She also tucked her tail and flattened her ears deferentially in anticipation for reception by a pack wolf. Even if she was not greeted by a leader, any pack wolf was superior to a diminutive lone wolf like herself.

♦♦♦♦♦
[Image: hashtags-inalinaia.png]
Played by Mimi who has 313 posts.
Inactive Deceased
Maksim Baranski
It was cold though not all was bad—the snows had stopped falling. The drifts were deep and the river itself had frozen over. It wasn't hard to crack through the ice and often fish were caught in a frozen prison, making an easy snack for the pack wolves if they so chose to snatch up the opportunity. Food was scarce, after all, and any chance to stock up on prey was quickly taken by the leader of River wolves, stashing away whatever he could in the caches. Still, Maksim could only do so much for his followers. He had doubled his patrols, hoping to ward off any hungry predators or scavengers that may come looking for them. His pack was of utmost importance to him and he would defend them his whole life. They had followed him through thick and thin and, hopefully, would continue to do so. They were his family.

It seemed someone else sought somewhere to call home, wolves to call family, as a howl broke through the background noise of the forest. Lifting his head, the Baranski stared off in the direction of their visitor. His breath swirled in the air, drifting and disappearing in the cold. Immediately, the agouti wolf set off at a swift lope. Luckily, it didn't take him long to arrive before the loner at their borders. His tailed curled up above his back, announcing himself as leader, and his squared his shoulders as he came to a halt before the vagabond. He eyed her briefly, his face stoic and his gaze dominant. She was small with a coat of grey, black and cream. It was evident to him that she was a Timber wolf. Maksim wondered what she would offer the Cut Rock River pack, what skills she possessed.

His eyes darted briefly down to the limb between her paws—a gift, perhaps—before returning to the wolf before him. “Maksim Baranski,” he began, “leader of Cut Rock River, the pack you've come to the borders of.” His introduction was to the point, summarised everything that needed to be known. He had truly begun to grow into his dominant position. “State your business and your name.”

(This post was last modified: Dec 18, 2013, 04:48 PM by Maksim.)

we are shining in the rising sun, as we are floating in the blue
Inactive Deceased
Naia Aegina

♦♦♦♦♦

Naia did not have to wait long. It seemed like she had to wait only a few breaths before she heard something very large charging through the cedars. The petite female instinctively stiffened as a broad, powerfully built wolf came into view. He carried himself in the unmistakable pose of a leader, tail held high like a banner to signal his dominance. As the alpha squared himself before her, she lowered her shoulders in a submissive stance, her honey eyes holding his gaze of bright green for a moment before respectfully shifting away. His controlled expression gave away very little, though Naia detected no hostility from the Mackenzie giant. Not yet, at least.

The male needed no introduction—the moment he appeared it was clear by sight and smell that he was indeed the Baranski leader of Cut Rock River. Naia had done her research before even setting foot in the River Wolves’ cedar forest. An aspiring scout, the young lady’s mind stored bits of information like a card catalogue in a library, and the name of the River Wolf leader and his pack were easily recalled. Naia remembered fondly the energetic Cut Rock River yearling she had met in the marsh on her way here. He was so proud of his familyand his leader, eager to promote his pack to a curious loner.

Maksim’s request was straight to the point, as was Naia’s answer. ”Naia Aegina,” she said simply, ”formerly of Pitch Pine Trail.” If what she heard from Aeolus was true, then she was not the first Pitch Pine Trail refugee to seek acceptance here. The leader would have heard their story, and he would know that she was no deserter. Several of Pitch Pine Trail’s wolves had held on to the bitter end—Naia included—and had only departed from their beloved homeland when it was truly evident that no leader was going to step up, and thus there was no pack left to serve. ”I am seeking a pack to serve and a leader to whom I may pledge my loyalty. ” They were certainly big words coming from a small wolf, and Naia waited for the alpha’s reply with a determined expression. If Maksim chose to take her in as a member of his family, she would follow him with fierce devotion for as long as either of them lived, just as she had followed the deceased Shade Slayer.

♦♦♦♦♦
Inactive Deceased
Maksim Baranski
so, so, SO sorry for the wait! been busy :c

She submitted easily and the Cut Rock leader was pleased by the display, if only somewhat. It'd take more than just a tucked tail to earn a place within the borders of this pack. Had Maksim known she had run into young Mace, perhaps he would have been a little more trusting of the wolf now before him. Sadly, this snippet was unknown to the leader and he remained stoic and stony in figure and gaze. His request would not remain unfulfilled for long, another tick on the check list, as the Timber woman was swift to give her response. Naia Aegina. Her previous pack caught the Baranski's attention immediately: Pitch Pine Trail. That was where Anastasia and Lachesis had come from, wasn't it? Had this Naia followed them across the mountain as a vicitim to an unfortunate disbanding? Having the lead female step away was no easy thing.

Her words were, indeed, bold as well as favourable. She had clearly chosen them well. To serve meant she would be active within the territory and to pledge loyalty was of utmost importance. The Baranski had no care for abandoners. At least, abandoners of his pack. Winter was coming full force and if some wolf wished to leave their home for his … well, he wasn't going to cast them away without a thought. He would do that if they proved slothenly. “Is that so?” He remained steely, watching her closely. “Well then, Naia Aegina, tell me: what could you offer my pack and family? How will you “serve” us—serve me?” What words would she pick now to sway the agouti brute before her even more, to have him allow her to be within his ranks? Curiosity and intrigue pricked at his thoughts. She was certainly a potential Cut Rock wolf in his eyes thus far.

(This post was last modified: Jan 02, 2014, 03:32 AM by Maksim.)

Inactive Deceased
Naia Aegina
OOC|| No worries, this week has been crazy for me too. ||

♦♦♦♦♦

”Is that so?” the massive leader questioned, and Naia gave a resolute nod. The question was rhetorical, so Naia remained silent to allow him to study her without interruption. He was making his first judgment, and the Timber lady knew that the next time the Baranski leader spoke it could be to send her away without another word. It would take an exceptional wolf to even consider placing such a diminutive female among his ranks, but an alpha that could recognize value that others had overlooked was exactly the sort of leader Naia sought. All she needed was a chance to prove her worth, and anyone who was shallow enough to dismiss her simply due to her size was not worth her loyalty to begin with. He spoke again, and Naia’s ears flicked as he repeated her full name. Again he cut right to the point, requesting to know just how exactly she planned on serving him and his pack. It was another question she had expected (provided she passed the initial inspection) and she nodded once more before she answered.

”I’ll start by offering this meat, with the promise to continue to place the wellbeing of Cut Rock River before my personal needs.” She bowed her head, and in a small symbolic movement nudged the pronghorn flank toward the Baranski leader. Naia had carried and protected the limb for two nights despite the rumble of her own empty stomach, and she hoped he would understand the significance of a food offering from an indigent lone wolf. ”I can serve as your eyes and ears within the pack’s borders and beyond,” she began, raising her head once more from its prostrate position. As a guardian a wolf of her size would be near worthless, and her frame also severely limited the sort of game she could procure as a hunter. However, her build was perfect for a scout. ”Rarely will you find a subordinate who can patrol a boundary as swiftly as I, or carry a message with endurance that matches mine,” she stated, very matter-of-fact. There was not even a hint of amusement on the face that was normally so quick to smile. It was a serious assertion, and she wanted Maksim to understand that she was not joking or embellishing.

”The most I can offer is my life,” she finished softly. Scouting was a dangerous line of work—the wolf who travelled to the borders of a distant pack with an ill-received message would soon find herself in a precarious position. There was a deep bond of trust between a leader and his scout: he had to take on faith any intelligence she delivered and trust her to represent his pack with dignity. Likewise, she had to trust that any mission she received from Maksim was worth the danger, even when she risked her life for the service of his pack. It was this sacred allegiance that she offered him now. Though this sort of trust is certainly not earned in a single conversation, her words were a vow to work every day toward achieving the venerable Scout position.

♦♦♦♦♦
Played by Staff who has 4,812 posts.

Look Out!

A fight broke out between two male mountain goats. Hunt Opportunity

Inactive Deceased
Maksim Baranski
@Naia -- god I'm awful ... hopefully this will make up for it!

Maksim Baranski was not someone who judged others on their appearance, it was a pointless and trivial thing to do. No, his judgements were based on a wolf's understanding—and respect—of hierarchy, their determination and their loyalty. Those who did not show proper courtesy and submission to their superiors would have a shaky start with the agouti River wolf, that much was certain. He could certainly recognise potential talent in the Timber, her lithe body probably nimble and able to press on for miles, effortlessly crossing any lea, woodland or marsh she came across. Indeed a useful skill for Maksim's pack, one he would be an ignorant fool to pass up on. Naia was a woman who knew her place, knew his power and respected it. That was what he liked; that was what he wanted.

She lowered her head as she spoke of the pronghorn flank, nudging it towards him. Had she hunted this recently? A quick discreet sniff from the agouti leader quelled that thought—the flesh had lost much of the rusty scent of blood. A few days old then, perhaps. She had carried it this whole time and that was quite the feat, especially considering the lack of prey these days. He did not move to pick it up, though. Not yet. Instead he stood and listened, pricked ears taking her words in diligently. No slip up would be missed. She spoke her piece well, offered her services with pride. He was right, it seemed; the way she spoke implied she was rather taken with the idea of pursuing the role of scout. Her next words sealed the deal, however.

The most she could—and would—offer the Cut Rock founder was her life.

Maksim lifted his chin a fraction, clearly impressed as his gaze softened from its steely state. He allowed a few moments to pass before he let a small smile of approval grace his features. “Your words are bold, Naia,” he began, studying her for a second before continuing. “Only a fool would turn down an offer such as yours.” He held himself as regal still, stepped forwards in a purposeful manner. “And I am no fool, I can assure you.” The crack of duelling mountain goats caught his attention briefly, casting his gaze in the direction the brutal noise came from, before returning to Naia. His words had formed a simple statement, though a hidden warning was laced within the words. So do not take me for one.

He closed the space between them, brushing his shoulder against her so the scent of cedar wood and home would be transferred to her pelt. He towered over her as he did so, before retreating back to stand in front of her once more. “Welcome to Cut Rock River. Work hard and earn your keep—things will come easily if you do.” A pack of hard-working wolves was his vision, where they could rely on one another. Allied packs were a fruitful investment too, one he would look into swiftly. He had spoken to Minka of Whisper Caverns … perhaps it would be a good test of skill to send Naia to this Willow Ridge pack. Once she had settled into the River territory, perhaps Maksim would seek her out. Lowering his head to grasp the pronghorn limb, he gestured with a brief nod of his head that she should follow him. Turning silently, he began the brief trek back to the communal den.

Inactive Deceased
Naia Aegina
OOC|| It definitely does! Just in time too-- it looks like ROW's winter is going to get worse before it gets better. ||

♦♦♦♦♦

After she had spoken her piece, Naia suppressed a shiver as the man’s cool gaze of judgment settled on her. She was reminded fleetingly of the last time she had discussed pack membership as a lone wolf with her former leader, Shade Slayer. This new leader was steely and rigid where Shade had been friendly and relaxed—but ultimately, Maksim’s pack had thrived while Shade’s had fallen apart. It was no secret that a strong pack was a result of strong leadership, and knowing this comforted Naia as she bore the full impact of his piercing stare. Finally, the male’s icy expression softened, and Naia knew that he had come to a decision. ”Your words are bold, Naia,” he told her, and she lowered her head demurely. It was an allegation she was familiar with-- though she was small, she was rarely accused of being timid.

Before he continued, she chanced another look at his features, though so far he had done an excellent job at concealing his emotions from her. This time however, she as rewarded with a small smile of approval. He had liked that she was bold, that was a relief! She was going to enjoy membership in a pack where she was encouraged to respectfully be herself and not a spineless sycophant. ”Only a fool would turn down an offer such as yours,” he continued, stepping forward purposefully, ”And I am no fool, I can assure you.” His deliberate step forward was a quiet challenge that was not lost on Naia—he might as well have said aloud,”Treachery will be unforgivable.”

His warning delivered, he relaxed once more, symbolically welcoming her into his pack by transferring his scent to her pelt. The scent of Cut Rock River—cedarwood sap and moist soil, with a hint of tang from the marsh—filled her senses, and for the first time she allowed herself to call the scent home. As he brushed against her, she licked beneath his chin in a show of gratitude and submission to her new leader. The gesture was her contract—she was now loyal to Maksim and the others he called family, for as long as either of them still breathed. Maksim then spoke aloud to formerly accept her into Cut Rock River’s ranks. ”I intend to start immediately,” she replied in response to his suggestion that she work hard to earn her keep. He turned to leave, nodding an invitation for her to follow.

As they walked, Naia spoke up again. When she said immediately, she meant it. ”I had the pleasure of meeting Mace on my journey here,” she imparted with a smile, ”he spoke quite fondly of you.” Though he was still a pup, the swarthy young male had impressed her with his maturity. However even the most mature pup needed a guardian, and it was Naia’s understanding that Mace did not yet have someone to fill the void left by his parents. Well, no one save Maksim, but alphas are busy individuals. ”Since he has yet to reach his first year of age, I would like to offer to look after the young man. If he agrees of course, and if no one else has stepped forward to act as his guardian. I would do the same for his sisters as well, though I have yet to meet them.” Taking on the guardianship of three quickly growing youngsters was no easy task, but then Naia was no stranger to pupsitting. They were the future of Cut Rock River, and Naia would always put them first-- even if it took time away from her personal goal of attaining the Scout title.

♦♦♦♦♦
Inactive Deceased
Maksim Baranski

And so, both laid down the pens they had used to signed the metaphorical binding contract; Naia Aegina was now a loyal follower of Maksim Baranski and Cut Rock River, and would hopefully be one for a long time. The woman would be useful and, truthfully, the River leader was pleased that she had picked his home over the others in the Lore. The growing number of wolves in the pack resulted in Maksim being as concerned as he was proud—the Darkwater Rapid wolves had proved their strength, their ability to go on despite crippling tragedy and it was here they stood, their courage and tenacity unchallenged.

So, she intended to start immediately, did she? That was a good sign. Maksim was positive she would do well within his ranks, that the Timber wolf would soar if she kept up her impressive show of dedication. It was early days, however, and with time he would grow to see if her words were true or not. Hopefully they were, for he was yet to secure himself a potential and trustworthy scout.

He glanced over his shoulder at her mention of Mace, his eyes lighting with a softness she had not seen yet. All the Attaya cubs were close to the River leader's heart and the fact the swarthy lad had spoken fondly of his agouti superior and guardian warmed the brute's heart to hear. He gave a small, pleased chuff as well as a few wags of his ink-tipped tail. I care about that boy immensely is what he aimed to portray. Her next words came as quite a surprise, his ears flicking in her direction. She wished to look after the children, to offer herself as some kind of motherly figure, something Maksim wasn't so sure about. A flick of his tail and a chesty rumble was offered. “You will have to talk to him—to all three of them,” was his reply, his gaze drifting away from Naia. They were good kids, just hurt and confused. As much as the agouti male wished he could be there for them, his duties as leader made it a difficult. Perhaps having the Timber woman step in wouldn't be such a bad idea.

He led Naia onwards, easily navigating through the snow due to his size. May her days under his command be happy and well enjoyed.