(See All?) Announcements
440 Users Online
Bing, Google

Think of Me — Secret Woodlands 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Lightning who has 1,043 posts.
Inactive Deceased
Nina Hervok
For @Mirren

Every so often, now that it was winter, loners were much more frequently showing up at Secret Woodland borders. It was no surprise to her that many were looking for homes now, as this winter was a harsh one. Even for a pack, it was much harsher than it had been in the past. Thinking back to last winter when she had just been making her pack, she remembered that even when they had stuck together, it had been much easier than it was this winter when the pack had been founded. Nina would look around frequently for any sign of prey that could help her family. Truthfully, anything they could find would be sufficient. Even berries, though she was sure that none would be found at this time of year. She tried not to think of the easier times though and kept reminding herself that things could be much worse by now. They were all still lucky that they were alive and for the most part, healthy.

She hadn’t spoken much to Mirren and she had definitely been meaning to. It hadn’t just been him that returned to the lore, but his brother, Nios, too. Nina had not heard from Ruiko or Aeylen and the former subordinate of the two wolves and wanted to know if they were in the Lore at all. When they had left, it had managed to make a permanent mark on Nina’s heart and she longed to see her former alphas. She didn’t know why she wanted to because she had no clue what to say to them, but if they were in the Lore she definitely wanted to see them. With a soft sigh, she lifted herself up from her position slightly and called for the yearling. She wanted to find out how he was adjusting to the thorny thickets anyway and find out how he was dealing with the fact that his brother had decided to not stay with them.

It seems when you're around, my life is complete.
Played by Allie who has 171 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Mirren Tainn

The tawny-furred youth stalked through the shadows of the thicket with the weight of the world on his mind. This winter had been his first without his family, and consequently the nastiest of the two he'd ever seen in his short life. The snow was thick, the rivers frozen, the nights cold, and without much at all to eat─not for him, not for his pack. Ashton, Danica, and Bane were still growing and required a meal more often than the adults or himself. Whatever small kills he'd managed to make─birds, an occasional hare─he was sure to drop at the den for them. But with each passing day he felt the dire need for food, and to provide for his pack mates, becoming heavier and heavier, and what was more...@Nios was gone.

His original intention in joining with Secret Woodlands was to have a safe haven for his brother and for himself through the throes of winter─food in their bellies, somewhere secure to sleep at night. There was no better place than with Nina, who had been a caretaker of he and his siblings when they were only cubs, or so he'd thought. But the night he'd first came across her along her borders, he hadn't meant to stay; he'd meant to locate his brother and bring him back, to reassure him that it was a reasonable move to make. To reassure him that he wanted him to stay close. But the days had passed, and before he'd had a chance to consult his littermate, Nios had seemingly left.

Mirren blamed only himself. Nios was his responsibility, and it was his duty to keep his swarthy brother safe. The fact that he had failed was dragging him down to the lowest depths of utter depression, and shame. Now, the skies were grey and the ground was blanketed in thick layers of snow and ice, and he didn't even know where Nios was. Was he even alive? The worry and heartache of not knowing was almost more than he felt he could bare. Had he made a mistake in being so loyal to the Woodlands wolves that he'd let his brother slip away?

These were only a fraction of the thoughts that and feelings that plagued him with each passing day, and he swallowed down the hard truth of the matter as he slipped through the thorny branches of the thicket. If Nios was out there, he needed to find him, and he needed to before it was possibly too late. His pack needed him, but at the expense of his brother's life? No.

Nina's call met his rounded ears and as any dutiful wolf would, he came. Pressing through the depths of the thicket, Mirren considered that he hadn't spent much time with her. Honestly, after the death of the prince, he felt that he could best serve her by helping to feed the pack and keep the borders secure. If he did his jobs well, she would have less to worry about. Fleet-footed as he approached, cutting through the drifts of snow, the yearling lowered himself appropriately to covey his respect as the leader came into view. "My lady," he greeted politely, his tone unbetraying of the...clamorous state of his well-being.

Inactive Deceased
Nina Hervok
Nina was very patient with her pack mates, for the most part, and did not worry when Mirren didn’t arrive quickly. That was a good sign, because it meant that the boy was doing his job and that Nina would not need to tell him to do his job. The boy was developing into quite the man that she had once envisioned him turning out to be when he had been much younger, and though he were not her blood, he was still family, and viewed him as if he were her son. The golden brown woman was highly concerned with everyone within the pack but her emotions towards Mirren were slightly amplified due to her once taking care of him when he had been born. Mellowing in her silent thoughts, she almost didn’t notice when he approached her, and out of simple habit her posture raised, making herself look slightly bigger, though it was nothing compared to his towering form…one that was much like his father’s. The lady almost chastised him for being so formal towards her but caught herself, remembering that this was how it was suppose to be. Sometimes the subordinate in Nina would rear her head and beg that she give in, but never would she allow that to happen again.

Approaching him casually, she licked his cheek in affection, happiness shining through her single eye, pleased with his arrival. Nina had not seen much of him since he had joined, mainly because she had balled up into her corner of self pity and denied anyone else; including her children, back into her heart for quite some time. Eventually she had realized what a mistake she had made and now Nina was a close to normal as someone could get after losing their mate and first born child. So now, pushing away any negative thoughts she might have harbored, she turned her attention to the young man in front of her, finally opening her mouth to speak, ”I wish to know how you fair…and how you are doing with Nios’ absence.” Her tail swayed behind her, looking at the boy in front of her and trying to determine was he was thinking through his facial expressions, but so far he was revealing nothing to her.

Inactive No Rank
Mirren Tainn

It seemed as though he might have caught the queen off guard, or at least interrupted her thoughts, when she cast her single, emerald eye upon him. But her demeanor was no less warm than it had always been, and as she reached to issue her affections he simply leaned into her touch, which was as comforting as comfort got around here. Without his brother, his family, or even a single friend among his pack mates (which was his own fault, he knew, for being aloof), touch and comfort both were hard to come by.

”I wish to know how you fair…and how you are doing with Nios’ absence.” His ears flattened against his dark crown as he gulped down the swell of emotion that threatened to pulverize his even facade. Of course she wanted to know about how he was doing, as was her right as a leader and her perogative as his caretaker and mother-figure. He and Nina hadn't had much time to talk about much of anything, @Nios' absence or disappearance or otherwise, between the losses she had suffered and his duties and disappointment in himself. In fact, he hadn't spoken to anyone about how he was feeling or how he'd been adjusting to life in the thicket. He hadn't spoken to anyone, period.

"I see." The boy tried to relax, knowing that if there was anyone he could trust with his feelings, it was her. After a moment of silence his ears swiveled forward where they sat casually atop his wide head, his softened, amber eyes seeking hers. "I..." For a second the words caught in his throat. "I just miss him," he finally replied. "I don't understand why he chose to leave, and I just know it's my own fault. I should have waited for him that first night, to bring him with me here. I shouldn't have chosen to sleep at your borders when he'd been waiting for me to come ho─" Home, to Copper Rock Creek. Should have. Could have. "─back...I was so...reckless to have let the days pass without seeking him out or letting him know where I was. I feel like...like...h-he wouldn't've done that, not to me." His eyes fell to his paws. "Now he's gone, and I have no clue where to, or if...or if he's even alive. It's so cold out there."

The stoical boy wore his father's mask now, his eyes lifting to cast upon Nina's face. He didn't know what she would say, or what she could say.

Inactive Deceased
Nina Hervok

After the two wolves finished their silent greetings, Nina comfortably sat down, her single eye trained on the boy she viewed as one of her own. She had never wished pain or unhappiness upon him, but it seemed that without his brother, there wasn't the uplifting sight of happiness or....life in the boy's eyes. The golden woman would grant him any wish should it bring him happiness. As the silence stretched on, the alpha shifted uncomfortably, unsure as to why the boy she had raised at a younger age had not given her a response. Did he not trust her enough to open up to her about what was going on in his mind? Her ears flicked forward when he finally spoke and Nina gave him a small smile of encouragement and was rewarded when he finally spoke to her. She listened, her gaze attentive as he spoke, and though he caught himself, Nina heard the slight stutter in his words but did not comment on it, preferring to hear if he had anything else to add.

Not pleased with his unhappiness, she tried to think of anything that would reassure him of his brother's safety, or at least give him some peace of mind. Her jaws parted and words slipped past her lips easily, ”If it would ease your troubled mind, dear one, I can keep my ears and eye open to any sign of your brother and will tell you of the news as soon as I possibly can.” She spoke calmly, fixing her gaze on the man in front of her, his face reminding her of his fathers, and briefly, the alpha had to avert her gaze to behind him to recollect herself before looking towards him again, patiently waiting for his response.

Inactive No Rank
Mirren Tainn

Mirren appreciated many things about Nina, mostly the uncanny, motherly way she always gazed upon him with a softness in her stare. In some ways he could draw a parallel between the woman before him and his mother, but Nina was more than a matriarchal figure; she was his friend, and was there for him when no one else could be, when he needed someone the most. The words that came from her delicately parted jaws soothed him if only for the fact that he knew that intention in speaking them was to reassure him. But the fact was that, even if she were keeping an eye out for Nios, the likelihood of the dark-furred prince ever returning to the thicket seemed bleak. Nonetheless, he put on a braver face, mustering up his best efforts to allow a fleeting grin to spread on his face. In a split second it was gone, but he drew in a quiet breath and searched her face as she did his, and as she looked to the ground his golden eyes remained upon her.

"Thank you, Nina." His voice was soft and low. "It means a lot that you care." And it truly did. "If he doesn't come around..."Don't. Don't you dare, Mirren. Nios was okay, and he was out there somewhere. When the wintry snows melted the tawny boy would search for the brother who he would always have faith was strong, who would overcome whatever odds life threw at him. "...well, I'm sure he will." And so he digressed. Nothing was going to make Mirren feel much better, but with the angsty feelings that accompanied living without his brother momentarily tempered, he thought of the struggles the woman had faced herself. Hell, she'd been through far worse than he had. Losing a mate. Losing a child. With so much on her own plate, is was a wonder that she managed to keep it all together, and keep the pack together. "What about you? How're you holding up? I can only imagine how hard everything's been for you..." I'm sorry I wasn't there for you like I should have been. Life you are here for me now. With the thicket immersed in silence, the boy's attention was all hers.

Inactive Deceased
Nina Hervok

She was truly lost on how else was was suppose to comfort him and make him happy. It might have been solely because of the fact that Nina didn't know what happy was anymore, but she tried not to let on, at least, not in front of everyone else. As she listened to his words she nodded her head slightly, pleased that he had acknowledged her attempt. His fading words about Nios made her weary though. She too, held deep care for the younger Tainn brother. The mother had been a caretaker way before she had children of her own, and it just so happened to be Mirren's litter that had been her first to watch over and protect. Now, as she looked at him, all grown and stronger, she couldn't help but feel a flow of pride burst through her. Though, she had been absent, though not by choice, for some of his life, she had still had an impact on the man he was turning into and going to be, it almost made her heart hurt. Even now...he was back with her and the woman would continue to see him grow.

However, when his words of her own well being echoed in the silence, Nina couldn't help but slightly wince. How was she? The alpha wasn't even sure if she knew anymore. So answering the best she could, Nina let a small sigh escape her lips as she responded, ”As well as I can be....it's been better though, surrounding myself with familiar faces. Your presence here definitely makes me....happier than I've been in awhile.” She tried the word on her lips and decided that it was partially true. She had been thrilled when Mirren had returned and had turned to him for comfort when Tacoma had passed. He had helped her a great deal, and Nina could only hope that it wasn't out of obligation for all the times that she had helped him. Taking in his manly form, much bigger than her own, she quickly spoke before she would lose her nerves. ”You know, one thing that would make me even happier...would be if you were happy, and if something...or someone makes you happy, then you go for it.” She watched him closely, making sure that he understood her words.

Inactive No Rank
Mirren Tainn

Relief washed over him when it was apparent that Nina silently agreed with a change to the subject of their conversation. Talking about his brother was such a heavy thing, and moving on that─even if only temporarily─was weight lifted from the yearling's shoulders. But their next chosen topic, happiness, proved to be just as difficult. He watched the flinch in her in reaction to the word, and in a way it made him flinch a little, too. By no means did he even remotely like, accept, or even tolerate the notion that she was in pain emotionally. The tragedy that had befallen her and the realm of Secret Woodlands was hard on everyone, certainly, but Mirren couldn't begin to imagine how she felt. He bit back the empathetic whine that dwelled in his chest.

"As well as I can be," she started.

A tiny ounce of encouragement sprouted in him when the woman's vigilance shone through her words. As much as she'd been through, Nina's strength made him very proud, and was a reminder that, even in the darkest of times, it was possible to live on─even if the life that came was different from the life that had been. Furthermore, he was glad to hear that his presence was a positive force in hers. It had been luck, or happenchance, that had brought him back to her doorstep on that autumn night months ago, but in retrospect it seemed more like fate. Hell, if it hadn't been for her and the support she herself and the pack had given him, he might not have made it through winter's hardships. He would always be grateful to her and to them for that.

At her mention of his own happiness and a special someone, his eyes fell to his toes for a short, bashful moment. All in all, he'd never really considered finding happiness in someone other than one of his family members, mainly Nios; and the prospect that he was growing old enough that finding a girlfriend, or a partner with whom to share in his happiness, was something even Nina had considered was sort of terrifying. But when his eyes found her one once more, there was a gentle smile on his face. "I'm glad that you're happy to have me, Nina. I'm happy to have you, too, you know." His tail thumped the dirt softly. "'Don't really know where I'd be without you," he added.

As for her latter statement, he was unsure what to say, but started with, "Thank you, truly...I-I...I haven't really thought that far ahead, yet, but...I gladly accept your blessing." The boy reached to issue her an affectionately submissive nip to her chin. "You know...that goes for you, too..." Stepping out of his childlike boundaries for a second, he addressed her on a more personal, adult level. "You deserve to have someone. Someone to keep you warm and lead beside you. I...I know you've lost so much, but...everyone needs someone." And that was true even for her, who he knew was stronger than most could ever be, perhaps even stronger than she should be.

He didn't want to dwell on the subject too much, especially if it meant prodding what was probably already a sensitive subject for Nina. After a time of respectful silence, the yearling gently cleared his throat before casually changing the subject. "You know, I've been thinking lately and...I'd really like to pursue a role, here in the pack? I'll make a rounded Guardian...I know the territory well enough and, well, I'm not scared of much, either." It was true, in some ways he was carelessly reckless when it came to not being afraid of things he should be. "I gave those wolverines hell," he added, referring to the time the vermin had raided the pack's caches. If given the chance, Mirren would prove his worth as a guard and he felt ready for such a responsibility and the duty that came with it.

@Nina
(This post was last modified: May 27, 2014, 03:57 AM by Mirren.)
Inactive Deceased
Nina Hervok

She smiled tiredly back at the young man in front of her, knowing deep within her heart that he truly was happy and felt like he belonged here. Even though she had only been with him for a short span in his life, the Hervok woman had certainly cared deeply for the boy; she still did. Anything that he had to say was important to her and so she listened carefully to what he had to say, keeping his young age in mind as he spoke. She did, however, flush slightly when he brought up her own love life. The thought of Hollow instantly overwhelmed her thoughts and she couldn't think of anything else. The man had been quite kind to her and had proved himself to be quite loyal to her pack. She was glad to have had Hollow by her side, especially with the loss of Koda still heavy within her mind.

None the less, Nina continued on in great spirits. She did her best not to let the memory of her mate plague her, and listened to the next words that Mirren to say. With all that had happened, Nina had almost forgotten that the boy would be turning into an adult soon, and she was pleased that he had thought about his own role in the pack without her having to push for him to think about it. Now that Hollow was going to be stepping up by her side, Nina could definitely use a new Head Guardian, someone she could trust, and what better wolf to do so then her son, in a sense. She spoke calmly, ”I think that is a great idea. As soon as you are known as an adult, you shall be known as such.” She then gave him an affectionate nudge on the cheek, a happy sparkle in her eye.

Played by Staff who has 4,812 posts.
There is a rabbit's nest nearby. +1 Health