521 Users Online
Bing, Google

You can't always get what you want
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Kaitlyn who has 123 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Nayeli Stormwright
nayeli stormwright
Times were lean. Prey was scarce and winter had locked the world into a deadly stillness. Nayeli had known when she set out to search for her family that she might not find them before winter came - that she might not find them at all, in truth. However, she hadn't prepared herself for what it would feel like when she finally had to give up the search. She was not accustomed to failure, to giving up. It didn't agree with her.

Thick snow blanketed the world around her, swallowing any sound into the monochrome landscape so that it seemed the entire world was asleep. The coal black she-wolf felt as if she were alone with her thoughts - so she might as well face them, as she tracked through the snow. She had nowhere else to escape, nothing else to occupy her mind as she trudged on in search of food.

Was it time, at last, to give up her months-long search for the rest of her clan?. She had hoped that this place, rumored to draw in wolves from many surrounding regions, might provide some sort of miracle for her. But now that she had arrive in these lands, she felt only that she was terribly far from home. It seemed terribly unlikely any of her family might be in the vicinity - more likely they were all long dead, gone from this world since the night they had all become separated in their desperate flight. Hopelessness ate at her more than any hunger. What was she without a pack, a family?

She snarled in defiance at the cold silence, startling a magpie into flight with her aimless frustration at the world. As the bird receded into the grey sky, its alarm call ringing across the expanse of trees and snow, she felt abashed. What a silly emotional outburst... even if it was true, what good would it do her to scream her frustration at the sky? Giving up and moving on from her search felt like failure, and yet it was also probably her best bet for survival, too. Slowly she drew a breath, allowing the cold air to calm her nerves as it filled her lungs, to take her fear and anger out in a cloud of soft steam that vanished into the frigid air. In the end, you don't always have a choice, she reminded herself. Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do....

"Speech."

all I need is a banner and I'll fight on...
Played by Switch who has 960 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Triell Tainn
I will always belong in the service of the Queen
If truth be told he hated this forest. It seemed illogical to hate a place. Especially one he had spent only a few days in. He had good reason. After what had happened to his idol, the red guardian of the river, he had no reason to like it nor visit. Already he relived the red that colored it in nightmares and in days. Returning could only hold him prisoner, make him relive the fight...the death. So had avoided it since the day he had dragged his bloody hide out of it. With prey thinning, and no sign of Kisa,Ice, or Merlin he was desperate. For food, and many other things he wasn't quite sure he was ready to admit. None the less they needed to keep an eye on what herds were left. He needed to search the lands for animals that had starved to death. Such a find could make a world of difference.

Fiery eyes taking it all in slowly, it looked nothing like that day. Still, it was with trepidation he entered into the realm, happy all the stupid ferns were dead and buried in white. The dark male began slowly by trying to stick away from the tall snow. The whole time he felt like he was walking on eggshells. He felt if hidden eyes watched him, and at any time he would come upon a ring of blood and ruin. With leathery nostrils sifting through the powdery white he picked up the trail of a lone rabbit. No hesitation he began putting his energy into finding its owner.

For awhile it was enough to keep his mind off his fears, off the trigger of a memory. He wasn't leaving this damned forest with nothing. After a while the softness of his own footfalls for his sole company was getting to him. The silence of the timbers slowly began picking away at his core. Triell wasn't one to hum, but he was close to grumbling aloud to hear something else. If to answer his request a bird's ugly cry shattered the stillness. It made his skin crawl, the creepiness of this place breathing down his neck. Long black threads stood on end down his skull to his shoulders, while his ears flattened to his head. Sure, it must be a crow, or silly magpie, but that sound.... Snorting, he shook his collar, and defiantly raised his head. "Bloody, thing! Shouldn't you be cold in the ground?!" He huffed not at all reining in his displeasure. It was far to easy taking his feelings on the creature he couldn't see.

If he had been a little smarter he might have realized the bird was startled by something and that's why it had cried out. The moment he was frustrated, angry at this miserable place, and this season of freezing cold. Maybe, a little at his friend who should have been here. He had lots of reasons not to stop and think anyone was around to hear him. There he stood waiting for it to defy him, or call out in mocking tones it had a full belly and he did not.
[Image: triellpix_by_euphoriclies-d98abbc.png]
are you with me through it all?
[Image: cad_sig_by_becuffin-dax4amr.png]
Inactive No Rank
Nayeli Stormwright
nayeli stormwright
Raising her ears from where they had laid against her skull, she listened to the dwindling sound of the screeching bird. Another breath helped her mood, steeping away the emotions that had momentarily overwhelmed her. She took a step forward once more, resolving to find something to eat in these woods. Things were not hopeless. She was a capable creature - she just needed to keep her wits about her and keep trying to survive, not wasting her energy on desperation.

Another step onward, and she halted, her ears suddenly perked forward. The fur on her back danced on end. New sounds were echoing through the forest - not a bird but a wolf, defiant tones ringing worldlessly through the still trees. Somewhere ahead, too far for her to hear clear words, some other wolf called out in an emotion that sounded very much like the one she had just voiced. Hesitantly she tipped her sharp nose upward into the motionless misty air, trying to catch a scent.

"Hello?" she called questioningly. Her paws began to move once more, slowly carrying her toward the sound step by step. She kept her shoulders loose and ready, her posture on the defensive in case some irate beast rushed her through the trees, but forced her hackles to smooth and her tail to hang in a low arc instead of bristling above her back. "Who's there?" The other wolf had sounded like a male, but she could tell little else from the still air.

"Speech."

Played by Staff who has 4,812 posts.

Look Out!

A young pronghorn has fallen behind its herd and starved in the snow. +5 Health

Inactive No Rank
Triell Tainn
um if you want her to find the pronghorn at some point you can have the points. :3
The bird did not reply. Neither did he catch it in his sights, not that it mattered. He could not have caught it, and he wouldn't care for its company. In fact he hoped it was long gone on the other side of this place scaring someone else. Breathing heavily through his mouth he tried to suffocate his irritation with the cold air, pulling it deep into his lungs. He tried to settle his cloudy thoughts, remembering what he was here to do. Muscles were rigid, heat shooting down his limbs, heavy in his chest he felt he would melt the snow around him. One stupid, little bird made him feel like this?

It wasn't really the bird's fault. It had merely set off everything he was trapping inside. What wasn't weighing no him? He had a pack to feed, watch over. Yes, he had his family he couldn't burden them with his grief, his fears, his doubts. Likely as they shared worries he was stubborn to talk about them aloud. Wasn't he really hoping Ice would come back and the world would be set in place?

More calm, collected he opened his eyes, and began to pick up where he left off. There was a light voice calling out, and the man froze. This time it was not as dramatic as the first. His ears were searching for direction while his eyes prodded between bark and snow. No one came from the shadows, but fiery gaze did not settle. Back and forth he looked, trying to keep his dark fur from rising. Had he lost it?

Holding his breath he gingerly took a step in the guessed direction. Then, there it was again. It didn't sound real. He had already yelled at a bird, why not answer a voice without a face. "Triell Tainn. May I ask who's calling?" He kept the uncertainty out of his voice. He had really wanted to say who are you, and what are you. Instead he kept shifting uneasily, searching for what he could only assume was a maiden. Something that usually wouldn't make him worried, but in this forest he didn't trust such old thoughts.
(This post was last modified: Jan 04, 2014, 04:12 AM by Triell.)
Inactive No Rank
Nayeli Stormwright
nayeli stormwright
Nayeli's ears tipped forward once more as a response rang back. It floated out of the mists ahead, sounding far more measured than whatever she'd heard before. Pausing only for a moment, she trotted forward through the trees, still not totally abandoning her caution. She kept her ears and eyes sharp, and her gait loose and ready for any surprises.

Her stride was not naturally heavy, but she took no special care now to keep it silent. Her paws made a soft, muffled crunching sound as she forged through the snow, announcing her presence as she approached. "Nayeli," she called out in answer. As she did so, she finally caught sight of the other form, growing more distinct between the fog-shrouded trees. Tipping her nose into the breeze once more, the fea tried to catch the scent of the stranger - in the dead air she still could not smell him, but something else grabbed her attention. The smell of a pronghorn, only recently dead - her stomach growled enthusiastically in response. The antelope were fast, difficult creatures to chase down under any circumstances. It was a stroke of luck to stumble upon one like this. Noting the tell-tale lump in the snow, she took a few more steps and halted, tail low but flicking and ears askance.

Now standing a polite distance from the stranger, she offered a smile in greeting. "My name's Nayeli Stormwright. I hope I didn't startle or interrupt you, but I thought I heard... well nevermind." This close, she could catch his scent - and he didn't smell like a loner. The thought of being chased away from a real, decent meal made her uneasy, and she tried to keep her worry from showing. "Are you from around here?"

"Speech."

Inactive No Rank
Triell Tainn
Ears strained against the stillness, seeking change when to his right he caught the sound of paws. Thick frame shifted, but he didn't want to meet her poised like a King, but neither did he want to stand as the anxious man inside of him. Slightly raised crown, limbs partial stiffened as he was airing on the side of caution he took a step to the sound of her name. First he could have mistaken her for a shadow, but those didn't break from fog. Halting, he stared in turn, also wrinkling his nose to see if she was a loner or from his sister's pack. Instead he was greeted by the smell of something dead. It seemed their eyes both went to the odd shaped dome of white. The silence made it easy to hear the strain of her empty stomach. Fiery gaze twitched quickly up, finding the white diamond that marked her face, then drift to the pull of ears, and motion of her tail. Maybe, neither of them were sure about the other. That eased a bit of his inflictions.

In the moment of quiet calculations and unspoken thoughts he almost wondered if she was the type that would simply disappear. A little further she came, close enough now he could see she had silver eyes and a gentle smile resting on her tapered muzzle. His dark face was first empty, until she began to speak, and a faint smirk formed his black lips. Instead of asking him what the issue was she skipped over it, and he found this amusing. "Oh no. I don't exactly care for these woods already so glad to see I wasn't hearing things." More steadily his smirk became his rogue smile. His dark banner was no longer bent in stiffness, but loose against his hocks. "Actually down farther south. I came this way in search of food for my pack."

Eyes fell to the lump, before resting on Nayeli. "I don't think I could take it from you,' The Tainn admitted, with a wry grin a little curious if she could agree with his words. Did she need it enough? Was she selfish? Really he could easily have it seeing their difference in size. Her frame was lithe, legs long. If she could have carried it and ran it would be a different story. It wasn't, and he was easily proposing how they fixed both of their problems. Possibly trying to see into the world of a stranger with a pretty face.
(This post was last modified: Jan 04, 2014, 04:28 AM by Triell.)
Inactive No Rank
Nayeli Stormwright
There was always tension when two strange wolves met, and if it did not quickly turn violent, often a cautious routine of greeting would ensue. These matters had been fairly simple when she lived on her home isle, but since becoming a loner she had had to acquaint herself with how things were done in other lands, without the ocean to decide who could come and go. Hardly inclined to fighting without reason, she had so far adopted a procedure of cautious amiability when encountering strangers. And so, she gazed at the onyx man, studying him while waiting for his response. He seemed to be doing the same, and she wondered what kind of picture she painted right now. She felt cold, cautious and hungry, but she was hardly desperate. For the moment, he didn't seem aggressive or off in any way. His eyes though... they were an almost unsettlingly fiery shade. He was quite a bit larger than her, and didn't seem to be suffering from the harsh winter much at all. He seemed to be doing the same thing as she was, studying and sizing the other up.

Then he answered, a smile gracing his coal muzzle. Nayeli could almost feel some of the tension drain from the air. Her own smile warmed a bit, and her plume swayed, brushing the deep snow. She agreed with his first statement wholeheartedly - there was something eerie about the silent, mist-shrouded woodland. His next words confirmed her earlier suspicions - he was a pack wolf, and out searching for food no less. A sinking realization dawned on her - he was probably going to tell her to scram or chase her off, despite that charming smile of his.

His next words took her all the more by surprise. He didn't think he could take it from her? Was he really offering to let her have the carcass? She must appear more weak and hungry than she realized, to illicit such generosity. Or else, he was poking fun at the fact that he could obviously take it from her if he so wished. She held her position for the moment, gazing speculatively at him, before deciding that there was nothing to do but go with it and see. She wondered if he would be so generous if this encounter had taken place closer to his pack's borders. Most of the wolves she had encountered at borders seemed both more formal and more volatile. <b style="font-size:10px; color:#cecece;">"Your pack... are they hungry this winter? " she asked, stepping toward the shape and beginning to paw at it, clearing away the insulating layer of snow. She kept one eye on the male the whole time.

With the young pronghorn exposed, the scent became stronger. The meat was still quite fresh - the creature had died recently, and the cold had kept it from rotting as it might have in warmer months. The smell was mouthwatering, but Nayeli could only stand frowning at the thing, her tail twitching. She didn't like the idea of this male's pack - with young ones, probably - going hungry, so she could have a full belly. She weighed different options, her need to eat and survive vying with the damnable angelic presence on her shoulder. An idea formed which caused her to smile once more, stomach grumbling defiantly as she paused to offer her idea to the male.

<b style="font-size:10px; color:#cecece;">"I could help you in your hunt..." she offered simply. He was large and strong, strong enough to take down larger prey she was sure. But a wolf's greatest strength was numbers, and two was more than one. He seemed to be out here hunting by himself, away from his pack's lands, so why not? For her part, Nayeli was not as pathetic as she might appear - fast and cunning, and together they might actually catch something for his pack. Then she would have repaid his kindness - she couldn't really eat this whole thing right now anyway, so if nothing else he could have what remained. But, she silently resolved that if he let her eat now, she would repay him somehow, even if they were not able to make a kill together. She waited to see what he might say, waited to see if this whole thing had been a charade from the start and he would turn hostile, or if he really was as generous as all that. Perhaps he'd dismiss the idea that she could be helpful at all, who knew? What do you say, Triell Tainn?

Inactive No Rank
Triell Tainn
Triell was never one to quickly jump to a conclusion. He pretty much let someone tell them who they were. If they happened to be trespassing, speaking ill to his family, or threatening anyone in his care of coarse he got bent out of shape. He didn't wait for an explanation. In reality if they were talking to him, even a slight snarky remark usually wouldn't be enough to rile him. A part of growing up was knowing when it was worth getting in a fight, and when better to avoid. He was only sure about a few things about the lady before him. Her character? Her personality? He couldn't say, but was trying to read between the lines instead of painting his own picture.

A tail wag was a good sign, and he didn't feel so silly now. His own gave a few off beats in turn. Perhaps he shouldn't have chewed out the magpie. Maybe, he had found something more than food. He could certainly tell she was not sure if she should believe him, or better how to take his statement. Who would say that to a stranger in this forsaken winter? This was part of finding out who she was. What better way than how she would react? If she took it without thought, he would have swiftly showed her whatever she wanted to keep she would have to grab and run. If she didn't..well he was more curious why not.

With mindful action she posed him a question, drawing to the thing they were discussing now. He looked to the hidden treasure, but had a feeling her silver eyes did not leave him. Sure enough as orange-yellow gaze tipped up, they were not upon the pronghorn. Thoughtful, he cleared his throat, seeing he had given her a puzzle she hadn't expected. Maybe, she had a heart. Or did she already know there were only two packs on this side? Only two chances for survival.

"I have two nephews I'm determined never know starvation, " he finally answered, making a point to keep his tone indifferent. It was very true, he didn't want them to know what it was like waiting for days for a meager meal like Kisla and Fenru had. Sceral and Serach were not little mouths to feed any more. The dark man could smell the intact meat too, and thought about what it meant to take that back. Carefully, he was watching the lady cloaked in black, eager for what else she may say. So far he was intrigued. Furry brows faintly brushed together, upon seeing her smile. The offer explained its reasoning.

If only you could, he thought.

A frown dipped down the side of his cheek. "I would take you up on that. The problem is there doesn't seem to be anything to hunt." In disdain dark ears twisted back, and he cast a stoney glance to the frosted ground. He finally was leader of a pack, but the circumstances were already against him. Was it a surprise? Relic Lore seemed a little hell bent on wiping out the Tainn family. A wildfire, next A year of drought, would this be of starvation? The last he had seen of a live beast he could catch was the caribou herd and it had been so terribly small. Now, only rabbit tracks that lead to nothing. This pronghorn was the first meat he had encountered in his travels. Daring, a paw raised, and he drew a step closer with his own idea. The corner of his lip was twitched in a sheepish smirk. "But, I do have another thought. I let you eat some of this, you help me take the rest home. Maybe, you could stick around for that hunt?" What he had seen of her actions, he felt he could trust her, even if it would be only for the winter. Someone thinking like a pack wolf, of others couldn't be bad to add.
(This post was last modified: Jan 08, 2014, 04:50 AM by Triell.)
Inactive No Rank
Nayeli Stormwright
She listened as he spoke of his nephews, of starvation... she could only wonder what fates her own clan might have faced even if they had survived everything else that had been thrown at them. For a moment the thought threatened to leap to the forefront of her mind, to incapacitate her, but she subdued the sudden wave with a gulp, forcing herself to focus on the present. The Tainn man's next words brought a worried frown to her muzzle. Were there enough packs in this area to have over-hunted the prey, or was this winter simply that cruel? Perhaps there was some other, unaccounted for explanation. Whatever the cause, it spelled bad news. Her own ears pressed back against her skull, trepidation causing her tail to flicker nervously. What was she doing in these harsh lands, pursuing a fool's errand? Could she ever give it up?

Her ears tilted forward again at his offer, and she wondered again what was driving this wolf to be so generous. A pack... she thought, and like before, her thoughts threatened to overwhelm her emotions, and possibly her better judgment. Nayeli, like most wolves, was not naturally inclined to being alone. Having been a wanderer since she'd been separated from her family, the thought of belonging to a unit again, something bigger than herself, if only for a short time, was incredibly enticing. A pang of guilt stabbed her gut, and little voice asked her if that was all it took to make her want stop searching for her kin. It doesn't have to be forever, she told herself. I could see what they're like, and we could help each other survive... I can't do this alone. The final thought solidified the decision in her mind. Perhaps she was beginning to realize the truth – she could not survive alone this winter, and could not find her family unless she survived.

<b style="font-size:10px; color:#cecece;">"Consider it a deal," she said, a grateful and honest smile upon her jaws. <b style="font-size:10px; color:#cecece;">"And thank you. I'll do my best repay your kindness," she said, a bright spark in her silver eyes. Nayeli considered this something of a personal challenge – not only to survive, but to make sure that Triell's pack was better off for the hospitality he was offering her. Lowering her jaws to the carcass, the gripped the skin at one leg, worrying at it until it gave way. Hungrily she tore and chewed at the meat, hastily taking large bites and swallowing them whole. Her stomach gurgled rejoicingly, but she stopped much sooner than she would have liked to, consuming only a small meal's worth. Perhaps, if there was some left later, she could top off. <b style="font-size:10px; color:#cecece;">"What's your pack called? And how far away is it?" she asked, licking her jaws. <b style="font-size:10px; color:#cecece;">"...and have any other loners joined your ranks recently? I'm... searching for the remnants of my clan, you see," she added the question almost innocuously, afraid to let herself seem hopeful. It was incredibly unlikely, she told herself, as she always did. Her search had been long, and was very likely in vain anyway. Still, she asked.

She wanted to ask several more questions, but she held back. What was Triell's pack like? Were there many wolves there? She wondered, suddenly, if he was perhaps acting above his rank... sharing when you had little to share was a bold decision, would the pack's leadership think the decision was the right one? Perhaps she would be chased away after all... or perhaps this man was a someone of a lofty rank himself. He hadn't brought it up, though, so she wouldn't either – it seemed a bit rude to ask. Once again wait and see became her mantra. But for the first time in a long time, she felt a little bit hopeful.

(This post was last modified: Jan 08, 2014, 10:06 PM by Nayeli.)