(See All?) Announcements
710 Users Online
Google, Bing

your cover's blown
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Kaitlyn who has 123 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Nayeli Stormwright

It almost seemed as if she might escape the shattering ice and find solidity between her feet again. Time seemed to slow - Nayeli felt almost detached from herself as she reacted instinctively, for her own survival. Then in the next moment, her eyes met Triell's. She realized he was saying her name, darting towards her and not away from the breaking ice. "No, get back-!," she cried as the ice gave way beneath her feet and the dark waters spalshed to life around her.

The next sensation was an eerily familiar one, of being in water and fearing the worst. Striking out with her limbs, she swam, fighting to stay up against the current that might pull her under the ice. Swimming was something she was quite good at - in her alarmed state she swam as hard she could, if only for a split second. Nayeli's paws collided with the rocky bottom mid-stroke. "Ow," she muttered in surprised pain, before swiftly getting to her feet. Quite suddenly, the panic left the dark lady in a laugh, rising up of its own accord. Sure she was cold and wet, but at least she wasn't fighting for her life. "Better get out," she managed as the bout of laughter subsided, turning toward the unbroken crust of ice. Jumping and digging her blunt claws into the ice, Nayeli hauled herself out of the stream, taking a few careful steps away before shaking her coat to rid it of the icy water. Then she stepped forward once more, tentatively, until she found a place at the edge solid enough to stand and drink.

The water was as refreshing as it was cold, and as she drank she couldn't help but feel a bit victorious. It had worked after all, and this was really much better than eating snow. Still, it had been foolish of her not to consider the dangers of the plan before trying it. She felt embarrassed, irritated at herself, and rather guilty and confused by the way Triell had darted toward her across the crumbling ice rather than jumping towards safety. "I - I'm sorry. There was probably a better way to do it," she said as she looked up from the water at the man with the fiery eyes. "Thank you," she said after another moment.

(This post was last modified: Mar 23, 2014, 05:26 AM by Nayeli.)
Played by Switch who has 960 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Triell Tainn
I will always belong in the service of a Queen

The deep chuckle became something a bit more of a healthy sound, seeing she was alright, hearing her laugh at their predicament instead of cursing his hide. Triell couldn't concentrate enough to form a audible sentence. His thoughts seemed to be a broken record of Damn it's cold. Soon enough he did manage to command his paws forward, and drag his soaked hide onto the embankment. Or at least after shoving, and pulling awkwardly until a jolt of what felt like tingling needles shot down his hip, giving him the encouragement he needed to get out of the icy stream. A sudden shake, after checking he wasn't going to dampen her, he reclined to his haunches. First he was staring out across to the red painted hills, orange-yellow eyes had fallen to her. When he realized he was staring he suddenly stood up. A drink, why hadn't he thought of that? One thing about the water he never enjoyed was the burning sensation it left in his throat.

Being very slow in his walk, he followed her path to the stream, and lapped up their success. He swiftly stopped, not liking how it made him feel more cold. The Tainn sat down, trying to absorb all that had happened. He didn't exactly feel like a brilliant hero, but the bitterness that had clung to him seemed to have been cleansed by his plunge. There was a broad smile that rose his lips upon her statement. "Like chase some caribou across it, and let them have a bath?" He teased with a twisted grin. Looking into her silver stare, he found it had a hold on him he couldn't define. After a second, gracefully, he hoped, he turned his muzzle so he could gaze across the stream. Despite being damp, and winter he was rather comfortable sitting there. It struck him he should tell everyone they had water, but maybe when they were both a little more dry.

Head cocked slightly. "For what? You must be freezing." He couldn't think what he had done for a thank you. He hadn't stopped her from falling in, nor helped her out. It was his place to make sure they all had water...

Inactive No Rank
Nayeli Stormwright

His statement drew another laugh from her. It was an appealing idea. "That's a much better plan. Just need to find the caribou," her own features were deadpan as she jested back, but they softened some as their eyes met. In the next moment she looked away again, following his gaze to the safety of the scenery. How brightly those eyes had burned into her own.

She wasn't sure what to say back to him, Thanks for possibly putting yourself in danger on my behalf? But the stream hadn't been all that deep after all. It was even quite possible Triell had known that. As the adrenaline of the fleeting moment left her system, she felt a bit silly for being so momentarily gripped with fear. "Thanks for... everything, I guess," she said quietly after a moment. Her gaze had become pensive.

He'd offered her a home here, been a friendly ear to talk with about things she hadn't talked about so openly about it quite some time. With him, today, she had been able to reflect on her past in peace rather than pain. It was more than enough to thank him for... even if that's not quite why she'd first said it. Nayeli shuffled her feet, pulling them closer to herself so that she could drape her tail over her toes. Was she could? Her tail was damp, her teeth threatened to chatter between the words she uttered. But somehow, she didn't feel cold.

(This post was last modified: Mar 23, 2014, 05:17 PM by Nayeli.)
Inactive No Rank
Triell Tainn

If only. All the animals still seemed long gone except for the stragglers or lost souls winter had defeated. Would they come back in the spring? He surely hoped so. The idea of moving again left a stale taste on his tongue, but if they couldn't find food in warmer weather either something would have to change. That was a worry he would deal with when the moment came. He had enough on his plate day to day.

Dark mask smoothed, ears resting back, realizing at least to a point what she meant. He couldn't know all her silent thoughts, but he heard something in her voice he must have missed. "Oh, well I've hoped you liked it here, " he began, trying not to ramble all his thoughts at once. "Thanks for your help. One thing less for me to worry 'bout." He briefly flashed her a smile, then blinked his eyes, shifting his shoulders, shuffling a little closer to her.

It was obvious he wanted to say more, but couldn't quite get it out. It bothered him how he suddenly had a problem talking, that usually wasn't something he struggled with. He took a deep breath, and bravely faced her. "You know, having you here has greatly helped the pack, I'm glad we ran into each other." Once the words were out, he didn't feel so foolish. It was the truth. She had easily helped repay the pronghorn whether one day she left with her family or not, and he wanted her to know that.

(This post was last modified: Apr 08, 2014, 09:52 PM by Triell.)
Inactive No Rank
Nayeli Stormwright

Her gaze found his again as he spoke, smile glinting. She couldn't help but notice the subtle way that he shifted a little closer, and the movement and words combined to make her face grow warm, her stomach tighten. She tried to ignore the sudden pang of self-consciousness, tried not to think about what lay at it's root, for the moment.

Triell hesitated over his next words, causing her to wonderingly flick one ear. What he said surprised the lady - she had vowed to repay his kindness, Oak Tree Bend's hospitality, one day. But she still felt like she owed them more than she had given... they had not just given her a refuge. Since coming here, she had begun to feel a bit like herself again. "I'm glad, too. Coming here..." her words were offered in return. How could she explain?

"-it's given me new purpose." she finished quietly. Nayeli was still trying to find her place in the pack, so to speak, but for the first time in a long time she had something other than the memories of those who were missing from her life. Was that even something that could be repaid?

Inactive No Rank
Triell Tainn

The Tainn's gaze did not waver. He was carefully searching her face, but not sure for what. Truth? Freedom from doubt? Certainty, she wasn't saying that just to please him? It didn't seem so. There was no reason to impress him, and Nayeli didn't seem the type to butter someone up. Besides the dark man had always thought her honest. She could have easily continued on her search with a full stomach, and that would have been it. She had wanted to pay his kindness in turn, coming to join the Bend with a different kind of promise. That was all he needed to know at the time to accept her into their family. She had character, a heart.

Yet, the past made it easy for him to question his instincts, himself. As he continued looking to her metallic eyes, he found a source of comfort he didn't understand, nor directly questioned. It was likely why a large, amused smile stretched across his muzzle. He had had only one intention on bringing the Stormwright to the Bend, a solid member to help through the harsh winter. He hadn't really thought more about it, because he assumed she would simply move on when the time came. They usually all filled their "purpose" and left. Was there something to what she had found here? Maybe, time would tell.

"Good to hear. I would hate to see a new swimmer leave on account of boredom." He knew she was serious, but his intention was to keep the conversation light. To not think about how one day she would likely continue the search for her family. A search he couldn't help her with...."Or, let me guess after that you'll never set foot in it again?" Triell put on a face of mock worry, but his large tail was moving to fast for him to pull off a real bluff. Attempting to take her by surprise, playfully he nudged her shoulder with his nose, and stretched into a bow. An invitation of play.

Inactive No Rank
Nayeli Stormwright

Triell seemed to be looking right through her. She wondered what he saw... she still had more questions than answers, and after a long moment of that searching gaze, she had to look away. She felt warm and cold at the same time; her toes and feet were still wet, and the ends of the longer guard hairs on her legs and body were already beginning to stiffen in the cold. A cloud escaped her jaws with each breath.

When Triell spoke again, it was with a lighthearted tone that brought a smile back to Nayeli's jaws. Her feet danced away from him and his nudge, but her own tail was a traitor too, swaying happily behind her. The smile grew into a playful grin, and she gave her coat one final shake, just far enough away to ensure she was not, in fact, quite far enough away.

"It would take more than that to scare me away from the water," she said earnestly. "But I think I'll wait until it's a little warmer for another swim." Thinking for a moment, she added "I might like to see that lagoon some day...." she realized that she did feel a bit warmer now, for some reason.

Dark plume still swaying, she began to step back toward Triell, but something caused her to pause. There was another scent on the air, just managing to register and catch her attention. Dark ears bounced forward in surprise as Nayeli tilted her muzzle upwards into the air. "Oh ho, what do you think that is?" She had caught Triell's playful mood, only heightened by the prospect of a proper chase.

Inactive No Rank
Triell Tainn

A playful laugh drew from his throat as she swiftly pulled away, but he didn't push his luck at a second attempt. Greeted by drops of cold from her coat, he feigned displeasure. The black wolf did not keep much distance between them, just a mild pull back to go with his act. He wasn't bothered what she might think of this, at least not yet.

Dark brows rose, partially surprised by her statement, and yet he was reminded she had been through something so much worse to detest water. Why would something less make her suddenly shy from it? No, she wouldn't have helped him at all if that had been the case. Perhaps he was just use to being the only wolf who took to water, and he had expected her to shy away like most. Clearly not, he mused. But, the Tainn was beginning to wonder what she did fear. The idea of a warm swim in the lagoon in her company, he really couldn't keep a straight face. He actually struggled to reply promptly. His sentence began, halted, and then managed to end. "Well...count on it. Have a proper swim soon as this winter dies."

The dark lady made a move toward him, he tried to anticipate what she may do. When she paused he wondered if that was her way of trying to get the best of him. Seeing her place nose to wind, he did the same and realized there was an opportunity of food. "I would say a proper late breakfast if we are quick." Triell's eyes began to search, and sure enough he could see two mountain goats upon the hills. He gestured to her, then bumping his shoulder to hers, murmured, "Ready?" He didn't wait for reply, he was off, seeking the trail they needed.

{end}