(See All?) Announcements
511 Users Online
Bing, Google

Winter lies too long — Oak Tree Bend 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by PuppyThief who has 538 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Drestig Avalon

Tearing another strip from his meat, the black lad chewed contently while he waited for her response. She took her time, biting into her on piece, and he enjoyed the familial peace of the moment - that strong sense of belonging that pack life brought; It's been a long time since I last felt this way. When his dark companion spoke, his ears twitched, eyes lifting politely to watch her over the meal. His head tilted slightly at her words, brow wrinkling lightly for a moment, then his expression cleared up and he smiled at her, nodding in agreement; her description sounded a lot like his own feelings. "This place does seem to grow on you..." He reflected out loud, tone warm; For whatever reason...

Then came the question. Of course, he should have expected that; Personal question for personal question. For a second, the dark male's face twisted into a grimace, smile faltering. He looked back down at the meat between his paws, stealing a few moments to recompose himself by ripping of another chunk and chewing it intensively. After swallowing, he took a quick breath and looked back up, smile once more in place; "Ha, no. I came here from the south, in the beginning of last fall." He spoke in his usual, cheerful manner, mask successfully back in place; though, it was slightly hollow.

On the inside he was calming slower, as always, any mention of his past made the ebony boy's heart wince. Even though he managed to answer without touching upon any sensitive subject, he still felt slightly breathless, eyes blank while he recovered. It was strange, how these memories seemed to become more painful as time passed, enhanced by fresher wounds rather than be covered, dulled...

The dark lad blinked, forcefully clearing out the confused thoughts; Focus! Stay in the moment. His eternal mantra. He met Nayeli's eyes, small smile apologetic, then he looked away, gazing to the west, where the mountain would have capped the horizon, had it not been hidden by the trees. He continued to speak, hoping to avoid any more uncomfortable questions by putting the spotlight on more recent events; "I crossed the mountain shortly before the snow closed the pass, met a lovely lady who took me too her pack," At this point he was composed enough to glance back at the soot-pelted wolfess with a cheeky smile, one brow cocked. "Then, of course, they went and dissolved just as winter hit its hardest," He sighed lightly, shrugging his shoulders as he finally tore his fiery eyes away from the invisible mountain; "But, that's what brought me here, so I guess I should be thankful." He smiled again, lightly, then returned his attention the remainder of his meat.

Now, the natural continuation of the conversation would be for him to ask another question, but the black lad generally operated on a don't ask, don't tell policy - the easiest way to avoid personal questions was to not ask them - and he had already been burned by one inquiry, he wasn't gonna let that happen again.

Word Count: 517

Dawnthieves.de & Burtn @ DA
Played by Kaitlyn who has 123 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Nayeli Stormwright
It seemed like a good spot to wrap this up...?

She listened, dark ears tipping to catch the sound as her pack mate spoke. Something seemed off for just a moment, but Drestig forged past it, the carefree manner she'd come to associate with the man quickly returning as he related a little more of his journey. It was more than enough to sate Nayeli's curiosity - she wished to make polite conversation, not delve too deeply into the past. She knew well what shadows could lie there. It's not easy to be thankful for a winter like this one, but it's partly responsible for leading me here, too, was all she said on the subject.

Their conversation seemed to have hit a natural lull, and so the starred lady pushed herself back up onto stilt-like legs, pacing back towards the torn and frozen prize they had uncovered. We ought to get this stashed somewhere before it attracts some nosy scavenger, she mused, half to herself, before turning her gaze back to Drestig to see what he thought. Besides us, I mean... she added quickly, tail whisking back and forth momentarily. Nayeli knew well enough that today they were not hunters who had earned their meal, but just lucky enough to have stumbles upon it while there was still enough to feed some hungry mouths.

Gripping a sturdy-looking leg in her jaws, the she-wolf dug in with her toes and gave it an experimental pull, to see how easily it could be moved. Luckily, after the coyotes and she and Drestig, the once massive form had been reduced to a more manageable size, and the two wolves ought to be able to steal it away somewhere safer. A frozen corpse is a fortune to just about anybody right now, she thought to herself.

{exit}
Played by PuppyThief who has 538 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Drestig Avalon
Ooc: @Nayeli yup, sounds good ^^

He nodded in reply to her words, a low, deep chuckle rumbling in his chest; a somber agreement. Then, with no new question from him, they were left to finish their meal in silence - though as before, it was not an unpleasant one - and soon there was no more meat left between Drestig's paws; and his stomach felt nice and full. Nayeli had likewise finished her bone, and was the first one to get up, turning her eyes to the remainder of the carcass. The dark man nodded again as means of response to her words, pushing back up himself to help her. Another laughter escaped him at her last comment, this one lighter; "Ah yes, let us make sure that only the scavengers of Oak Tree Bend get to enjoy this one!" Sending her companion a bright grin he steed forwards to grab another leg, to help her drag the carcass further into the territory. His memories were once more buried in their dark corners, and he felt happy to be with a pack mate and able to help out his pack; My HOME!

Word Count: 186

Dawnthieves.de & Burtn @ DA
(This post was last modified: May 25, 2014, 10:25 PM by Drestig.)