(See All?) Announcements
523 Users Online
Bing, Google, Isla, Sophrosnia

Another Summer Morning — Blackberry Fields 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Alisha who has 66 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Laurel Boughinn
It was quite a beautiful morning. Laurel raised her head out from underneath the blackberry bush she took shelter under. The tall grasses swayed with a cool summer breeze and the sky had little clouds. Yawning, the dark wolf rose and shook herself of dirt and bugs. Bleary eyed, she surveyed the surrounding area.

She had only just arrived in the region, after traveling far, very far, away from her family. And after traveling days and nights to put distance between any wolf following her, Laurel had finally allowed herself some rest. It's really pretty she thought of the fields, her mind in that customary morning haze. Perhaps I could live here. Sniffing the air she amended the idea, sensing the borders of a pack nearby. Or not.

Laurel questioned herself. Why not join them? and she found herself still feeling guilty. The predicament of her previous pack still weighed upon her mind, and she didn't want to join another- at least, not until she gained some skills in living alone. And one of those skills that needed improving was hunting. She was fast, but hares were faster still. And beavers were mean- the scar on her hind leg proved that.

Set on eating , she began to track down some prey- hopefully the tall grass hid a lot, ready for the taking. Careful to make little noise, she slunk around, listening. The slightest noise could mean food. And she wanted food badly. Very badly. But not too badly- if she met up with a wolf that was of the nearby pack, she was going to have to give up the hunt. And she didn't want to do that, so Laurel stayed low, stayed quiet, and tried to refrain from traveling downwind.
(This post was last modified: Aug 04, 2014, 01:18 AM by Laurel.)
Played by Killi who has 33 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Atlas Nytrox
If actions speak louder than words
Black Thorn Downs
I'm the most deafening sound you've heard

Atlas, once again, found himself going through Blackberry fields. With the amount of time he spent in that area he felt he had every bush and berry photographically memorized. However, this time he wasn’t here to taste the sweetly tart berries that grew abundantly on the bushes. No, today he was out to practice his hunting skills. He’d always been a decent hunter despite his large appearance, which would make one think he made the ground quake with every paw step. This gentle giant was as silent as a snake, and most of his prey didn’t even see it coming. Ok, maybe some of them did. He still recalled a particularly peeved goose that he’d tried to catch when he was much younger, and the damn thing had nearly pecked out his eyes.

He lifted his nose to the air, drawing in the scents around him. He automatically threw out the stale scents and took in the new ones, then went the task and deciding which ones were near enough, then the task of deciding which one he would go for. Finally, he picked a stoat. He hadn’t had one in a while and the taste was something he didn’t remember. They were quick, mean little suckers but he knew he could catch it.

Pinpointing the direction it was going he moved toward the animal at a slow, meaningful pace. As the scent grew nearer he was so focused on it that he was unaware of the scent of another wolf so nearby. Instead, he kept on his path until the Stoat came into view. It was chewing on a berry, its quick little movements so strange and jumbled. His auds pricked forward, movements stilling at the sight. The speckled yearling’s dark auburn gaze narrowed into focus as he readied himself to leap. His haunches bunched beneath his powerful frame before he soundlessly leapt forward with jaws gaping. The Stoat gave a terrified squeak before darting off in a different direction, which caused Atlas to make a sudden change of direction. His legs pumped as he gained speed, keeping his gaze firmly on the small mammal which was darting this way and that. As he gained space it changed direction yet again and this sent him scrambling to do the same. Even with all this, it wasn’t able to evade capture as he gained on it. Scooping his head down he sank his teeth into its neck and firmly bit down, slowing down before violently jerking his head. After a moment a sharp crack could be heard at the Stoat’s neck fractured, rendering it dead.

A prideful gleam settled in his gaze as he dropped the mammal, running his tongue over his spotted maw. Now, he was able to scent another smell. A smell of a she-wolf and he automatically went on the alert again, looking around. Even though they weren’t in Black Thorn Down territory, they were still fairly close to the border and one couldn’t be too careful.

Played by Staff who has 4,812 posts.
A young deer has been separated from the rest of its herd. Hunt Opportunity
Inactive No Rank
Laurel Boughinn
Laurel had set her sights on a particular hare, so innocently nibbling upon blackberries, unaware of her presence. Looks like all that training has paid off... Closer and closer she crept, trying hard to keep the peaceful atmosphere undisturbed. Despite her will to be stealthily silent, Laurel's mouth slavered at the thought of a hare to sink it's teeth into. As close as she dared, the grey eyed huntress hunched down, preparing to leap and consume.

Then a small crack could be heard nearby, and like a twig snapping in the still air, the peace broke. The hare turned quickly, spotted her approach and ran. With a whine of frustration Laurel leapt after it, trying to gain ground, but the hare had too much of a head start. Her stomach grumbling, she gave up the chase and whipped her head around, trying to see or smell what affected her breakfast. Near the source of the sound, she smelled a wolf- and considered her options; should she run away, or confront him? He smelled like the pack territory nearby, and the desire to flee increased. That is until she sensed the young deer on the opposite side of her.

Melting into the grass again, she looked in it's direction and saw that it was alone. Perfect. A lost hare would mean nothing if she could gain a deer instead. But to down a deer required at least a little help...

"Hey," she whispered, creeping back to the scent of wolf. She poked her head out of a clump of grass and spied a speckled young wolf standing alert over a dead stoat. Trying to be assertive, Laurel whispered again in a low growl. "You scared away my breakfast- there's a deer behind me that's alone, and I would appreciate it if you helped me to make up for the hare I lost."
Inactive No Rank
Atlas Nytrox
Black Thorn Downs

There she was, the wolf that he’d been looking for. She moved into his field of sight, and while he kept his gaze on her she did likewise with him. Honestly, he half expected her to turn away and flee, but when she bent her head in a snarl and actually growled at him, he took offense. Who was this wolf, threatening him so close to his border? He felt bad that he’d scared away her prey, as he knew the struggle that it was to find food as a lone wolf, but he couldn’t help it. He’d been hunting for his own pack, whose hunger had to be sated first before any other.

That giant gave a blink at her demand, pulling in a quick sniff. It was true, there was a deer around them and he considered the odds. A large yearling and a larger than average medium sized wolf may have seemed like a decent pair, but that pairing against a deer would be difficult. The chances were heightened of them getting hurt in the scuffle, and it may have been something he wasn’t willing to risk at that time. There was a lot to do for him to get settled into his pack, and getting injured surely wouldn’t help him in proving that he was someone worth keeping in their ranks. “Miss, I’m sorry that I’ve scared away your prey. But taking down a deer with just the two of us is very risky, what do you honestly think the odds are of that?” He asked honestly. There wasn’t any malice or snide tooth in his words, but he was honestly curious as to what the female thought. Considering another answer he opened his maw to speak, “I can give you this Stoat, if you like?” It probably wasn’t the wisest choice, as the pack really did need the food. But he felt the need to make amends for what he had done, even if it had been an accident and he’d done it unwittingly.

Inactive No Rank
Laurel Boughinn
But taking down a deer with just the two of us is very risky.... At those words the hunger swarming Laurel's head parted just enough for common sense to slip through. Only two wolves- even two at their size, couldn't take down a deer. Yes, it was a rather young deer, but younger meant stronger, and stronger meant no way.

She risked a peek behind her, the deer still high-stepping in bliss. It had stick legs, stick legs, but a fine pair of sprouting antlers and no doubt some fight underneath the sweetly delicious exterior. With a whine, Laurel accepted that there was little to no chance of a deer for breakfast.

"Your right," she admitted to the yearling. "We couldn't do it. And keep the stoat- I had no part in hunting it, so I wouldn't feel right taking what could feed your pack." She sat down and considered the probability of finding another hare. "I would have let you take half of the deer, if we had a chance." Her stomach rumbled. "But we don't. It looks like I'll have to find something else."

But she didn't want to find something else. It had taken her days to reach here, and most of her energy was taken up chasing hares and geese. She didn't want to give up- not when she had so much to make up for- but Laurel had to admit, perhaps she wasn't thinking when she went off on her own.

"I'm sorry if I offended you," she apologized for her previous attitude- set on by hunger, no doubt. "I'm Laurel- and you will remember to report me to your superiors, yes?"
(This post was last modified: Aug 05, 2014, 11:49 PM by Laurel.)
Inactive No Rank
Atlas Nytrox
Black Thorn Downs

Ah, so there is a nice wolf in there, he thought to himself. Even when the she-wolf had been rather rudely demanding compensation from him, his ability to read into wolves saw a lone wolf who was hungry from a journey, that much could be seen in her wide eyes and slightly showing ribs, and one who was not normally on the ferocious side. He hadn’t been worried of an attack to begin with, if he had to be honest. His large, powerful frame and body weight easily over-shadowed hers which would have made for an easy take down even if he hadn’t been trained most of his life to become a guardian.

Atlas felt little pleasure in her admitting he had been right about the situation. He was far from a pompous, prideful jerk. The attitude that could most fit the young male was that of a gentlemen, a very in control one at that. By this, he wasn’t going to say something like “I told you so” to the woman. That would be petty of him. Her statement that she could find her own food was taken in the wind as far as the male was concerned. “Trust me, I’d have loved to go after that deer as much as you would have but I doubt either of us really need to be hurt right now. It’s nice to meet you Laurel, my name is Atlas Nytrox. I belong to the Black Thorn Downs pack that resides nearby. I’m afraid I may have to report my finding you so close to the border, but don’t worry. It’s just standard, and you’ve given me no reason to think of you as a threat.” He replied kindly. Looking at her slim frame and her obviously tired eyes, he thought of something, “Would you like to meet our alpha? She’s very kind, I joined not long ago myself. Perhaps we can work something out that would help you?” He suggested. Their pack needed new members, that was for certain. Laurel, despite their first encounter, already seemed like a genuine character and if she were to join then he well-being would already begin to rise. He’d noticed changes in himself since joining Black Thorn Downs. Such as he was slowly becoming more personable, finding it easier to speak to others and be slightly more expressional. He found himself rarely with hunger pains that were too bad, which was all the better.

Inactive No Rank
Laurel Boughinn
Her ears swiveled back a bit at his offer, involuntarily in concern. "I-I'm afraid I can't do that, not yet." Now that she wasn't focused entirely on food, Laurel was glad she apologized. Atlas was big, certainly bigger than her, and to make that sort of enemy while she was so underprepared was unwise.

"I'm not pack material."She explained vaguely. "I don't know if I can follow the rules like I'm supposed to. If I can't do that wholeheartedly with no exceptions, then I have no place in a pack." As she said the words, Laurel considered that they sounded rather prideful- certainly not an attitude she wanted to portray- but looking deep down, she knew they were true. The young female was holding herself back because she wasn't sure if she could manage not to make the same mistake again. "I'm sure your alpha is wonderful, but-"

What is wrong with me? She harshly berated herself- not all parts of her mind were in sync with the truth- This is what I wanted, right? A home- Guilt she thought was gone came rushing back. No, I already had a home. And I don't care how long it takes, I will repay for my mistake before I join another. Laurel stood and looked at Atlas with tired eyes.

"You should always worry about the standard, Atlas."She felt it right to tell him what could happen. "Whether someone seems like a threat or not, never take chances, and always follow the rules. I was about your age when I made that mistake, and it lead my family to ruin. Maybe- maybe I might join someday, when I'm sure I won't be a liability."

Guilt, guilt, guilt. Soul-crushing guilt. Only food would make it better. With a deep breath she readied herself for hunting again. "Anyways, I don't suppose you know the best spots to hunt hares?"
Inactive No Rank
Atlas Nytrox
Black Thorn Downs

She spoke in a way that reminded him of his life in the past. She spoke of following rules and standards and all of that, it memories surfaced. Memories with flashes of tawny fur, yelling, and pain. They were memories he would much rather suppress into the back corner of his mind, until he found a time that he could deal with them appropriately. But there was one thing he knew for sure, and that was that she couldn’t blame herself for whatever had happened. She was obviously afraid of mistakes, that what had happened in the past might reoccur. He tried to bite his tongue, but before he could the words came spilling out.

“I know about rules and standards, it’s something that was ground into me since I was four months old. I also know what it’s like to feel guilt, and betrayal, and anger all rolled into one. I understand that you must feel responsible, and that you have a debt to pay. If you really want to repay it, don’t you think that the best way would to be to set it right in another pack? To protect them and serve them like you would have before? They’ll never replace your blood, but they’ll be a family that is pretty damn close.” He said. Honestly, that was probably the most he had ever talked in his whole life to a stranger. It was just that, he related so much to it and no one deserved to have those feelings. They weighed one down so much and left one with so much trauma in the end, it just wasn’t worth it.

“I’m sorry, it’s your choice in the end. Really, I insist that you take this Stoat. You need it more than I, I remember being a lone wolf and how hard it is to get decent food. This isn’t a lot, but it’s better than nothing. I’ll find something else, unless you’re completely set on a hare as your favorite food.” The speckled yearling finished, apologizing for his intrusion on her private affairs.

Inactive No Rank
Laurel Boughinn
Her ears folded back as Laurel found herself talking to a wolf beyond his year. Whatever he had been through was obviously painful, and she felt horrid for dredging it up in what was supposed to be sagely advice. It seemed that everything she tried to do with good intention backfired- was it a curse? She took a slight step back as his sagacity hit a bit to close to her heart's deepest hollow for the dark female to shake it off. She wanted to bite back and defend what little pride she had left, but her innermost nature wouldn't allow for it. Instead Laurel found herself stalwartly waiting 'till Atlas had finished.

"Thank you," she replied quietly, subdued by the new philosophy warring with her guilt. "Perhaps I do need to find a new family- or at the very least, close friends. Or maybe try to find my way back home." But not yet,Laurel told herself, not until I bury the past.

"I'll have to think about it. A taradiddle, but not a complete untruth. Time spent and experience gathered as a lone wolf gave Laurel a lot to think about indeed. Her status as a little sister in a family as big as the Boughinn's hadn't laden her with as much responsibilities as her older siblings- she had plenty of guidelines, but only one rule, and she broke-

Laurel shook her head before she got caught up in the past once again. "And I insist that you keep the stoat. If you've just joined, it'll look good for you. It was nice to talk to another wolf, however short our conversation was. I'll look forward to meeting you as I look around, Atlas." With a small bob of her head, she turned to go.