384 Users Online
Oleander, Google, Juniper, Apollo, Bing

Out of the Shadows, into the Light — Drooping Willows 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Missy who has 50 posts.
Inactive III. Subordinate
Mordacai Ashrelle
Quote: @Enoki

Mordacai marched through the meadow, easily traversing the uneven ground until that uneven ground gave way to a grassy knoll. Gracefully, he loped up to the top of the knoll and paused to take in the view. There were small clusters of wildflowers dotting the hills but Mordacai preferred the purple caucus flowers of his home. He also preferred his mountain to the one he could see in the distance to the east, yet that was where he was heading. At his brother's request, Cai was on a mission to find his run-away sister, Enoki. He thought this mission was pointless because Enoki had left of her own free will and had never returned. Obviously she was happy wherever she was and Cai didn't see why they needed to bother her. He could help Arion lead the pack just as well as Enoki could. Arion didn't think so, Cai thought remembering the last conversation he had with his elder brother. Mordacai had voiced his doubts about finding Enoki and Arion had sighed, clearly exasperated, and pleaded with Cai to just do as he was asked. As if I was a pup, Cai thought bewildered. Is that really how his brother saw him? As a pup that needed to be told what to do?

Mordacai shook his pure black head, trying to shake off the negative thoughts that were creeping up on him. Thoughts like those would not help this mission. Cai wanted to go home and in order to do that he needed to find Enoki. Frustrated and eager to be back in his own den, Cai bounded down the knoll and into the forest of willow trees that he would need to cut through to get to the mountain. He had no idea where Enoki could be, but this was the nearest mountain to their home. The only lead he had was the hope that his sister would want to live near a mountain as a reminder of the place where she had been born and raised.

Cai maneuvered his way through the low-hanging branches of the willow trees until he picked up on a fresh scent marker. Pack territory. He would have to go around. With a heavy sigh, Cai took several steps away from the border and resumed his march towards the mountain. Gods, he hoped that Enoki was somewhere around this mountain because he really had no desire to go find another. He just wanted to retrieve his sister and go home! What did Arion expect him to do? Just amble around all the lands in the world until he happened to just stumble upon their sister?

Mordacai froze. It was faint, but he had smelled it. His sister's scent. It had been so long since he had smelled it that he almost missed it, but it was there. He began sampling the air and to his dismay, the scent was coming from the other side of the border. Great, that's perfect, Cai thought miserably. With an aggravated snarl, Cai sat back on his haunches, tilted his head up and let loose a long howl. His amber eyes scoured the trees in front of him, searching for the familiar black and white pelt of his sister. For now, all he could do was sit, wait, and hope that it was Enoki who answered his call.

[Image: 0e902ec3-b01e-40bd-8a59-555651ce82b7.png][Image: winteriscoming-wr.png]
Played by AshBash who has 476 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Enoki Archer

Enoki laid lackadaisically within the confines of her den located in a secluded spot from the rest of the pack when the howl broke the silence. As soon as the oh so familiar tone tickled the hairs of her ears her head bolted off of the floor, twitching her ears to truly hear the sound. No, it couldn't be.... Could it? Perhaps her mind was playing a sick joke on her after the other night where she sought refuge in the wilted knolls of the rise and let the night be filled with her mournful cries of homesickness. But that howl was near unmistakable. There was only one wolf that she knew of that had a howl that rich in tone, the male version of her own tone. Mordacai. And the howl was directed solely at her.

Her body was then quick to rise from its slumbering state, propelling the piebald woman past the entrance to her den and into the morning light. If her little brother was truly waiting just outside the boarders for her, why was he here? She couldn't wrap her mind around any single logical reason for him to be here. It had her dumbfounded. Silently like a thief in the night she strode through the curtains of willow branches, following the direction the howl had come from towards its source while testing the air to confirm her mind was indeed not playing tricks on her and he was actually, physically there. Continuing her quick pace the distance melted quickly beneath her paws until she came to stand at the top of a small hill that gave her the only evidence she needed.

A few body lengths away sat the dark silhouette of a man that Enoki never thought she would see again, let alone hear. His fur was as black as the night sky just like their fathers was and among the countenance of his face lay a pair of dazzling amber eyes that shone brightly. Exactly the way her own amber gaze did. Even from the distance that was between them she could notice the vast changes that had occurred since her yearling age. No longer did he own paws too big for his body, a muzzle too long for his face. Nope, there was no puppy fat to be seen on his now muscularly toned and lean frame anymore. Mordacai had grown up to be a doppelganger of their father. Excitement and nervousness mingled together through her blood as she took a moment longer to let the sight before her sink in, her tail raising high and wagging with said excitement. Giving a loud woof she alerted her brother of her presence before starting the small decent to the level ground he found himself sitting upon.

Played by Staff who has 4,811 posts.
There is a family of deer nearby. Hunt Opportunity
Mordacai Ashrelle

Relief flooded his mind and body as the familiar sound of his sister's bark reached his ears. He turned to look in her direction and there she was, bright amber eyes mirroring his own in color and expression. She was as excited to see him as he was to see her. All of the aggravation at having to search for her receded to the back of his mind once she was actually found. He looked her over, happy to see her looking lean but healthy. She looked different, but Cai had expected this. Neither of them were pups anymore.

As she gracefully descended the hill and headed for him, he crossed the distance between them with two quick bounds. Then, there they were, happily reunited. Cai licked the side of her muzzle in greeting before rubbing his cheek against hers. He had missed her. "Kiki" He greeted her, his deep voice warm with love and happiness. He took a step back so he could meet her eyes with his own. "How are you, sister? I knew I would find you near a mountain; I figured it would remind you of home." He smiled seeing how her eyes lit up at the mention of home. She had missed them as much as they had missed her. "Have you found a pack to join here?" Cai scrunched his nose to signal that he had picked up on the scent markers around them. "They are lucky to have you. A princess in their ranks." Cai gave a sly smile, wondering if her pack mates knew of her history. "Or perhaps, you have already taken over and made yourself an alpha?" Cai questioned eyeing his sister curiously. She had always been so independent and sure of herself, more of a leader than any of the other Ashrelle siblings. Mordacai would not be surprised if she was a leader here. After all, it was because of her leadership skills that Arion had sent Cai to find her. At the thought of his mission, Cai's face grew more solemn. A mix of resentment for being looked over and guilt for asking Enoki to leave her new home swirled around in his brain. How could he ask her to leave her new home? Cai knew she would say yes if he asked her, and this made him feel even worse for having to ask.

Inactive No Rank
Enoki Archer

Her heart felt a million times lighter as she watched her brother bound happily towards her to close the last bit of distance between them while his eyes shone brightly with the same emotions that were present within her own. As soon as the two stood face to face he gave her a lick to her muzzle and nudged her cheek with his own, returning the signs of affection to him while her tail continued to wag happily behind her before they both took a step back to gaze at one another. He definitely looked just like their father, but her reminiscent thoughts were cut short as he spoke her childhood nickname that he had given her since birth. It had been years since anyone had called her Kiki and hearing him speak it again warmed her heart to the fullest. Enoki had missed her little brother dearly as well as the rest of her family. She wondered how the rest of them were doing.

"How are you, sister? I knew I would find you near a mountain; I figured it would remind you of home." He spoke, reminding her that she had actually subconsciously found herself residing in lands similar to home. Who would have thought? Her eyes lit up at the mention of home and clearly he noticed when they did, a smile creeping onto the black lining of his lips. The words continued to flow from his mouth in the excitement of the moment. One phrase after another. "Have you found a pack to join here?" "They are lucky to have you. A princess in their ranks." "Or perhaps, you have already taken over and made yourself an alpha?" A soft chuckle fell from her own black lined lips at his enthusiasm. He had always been that way, a spontaneous ball of fur that now stood before her in the shape of a man. There was much they needed to catch up on and with that she lowered her haunches to take on a more comfortable, seated position while the conversation continued on.

"Slow down, Cai. You're speaking a million miles a minute." waiting patiently she let silence fall comfortably between them before answering the questions he had asked. "I've been good, brother and yes the mountain here does remind me of home, but it's not as pretty. It doesn't flourish with purple crocus flowers like back home." That was her favorite part of the spring back home. Her siblings and herself would find a good vantage point to watch the first blooming bunches of crocus flowers to dot the Calarosa mountain, usually a branch or left over mountain goat leg nestled between their paws to gnaw on. As beautiful as Relic Lore was, nothing compared to the beauty of home. "Indeed I have found a pack here, but i've only joined recently and they do not know of my royalty. Nor do I hold the title of alpha." Another chuckled fell from her lips. She didn't know if the pack felt the same way Mordacai spoke. There were still plenty of members to meet and she had not made any impressions on the few members she has met beside @Elettra who praised her for her skilled hunting abilities.

Now it was time to turn the tables and let him answer while she asked. "But tell me, how have you been and what brings you so far from home?" She asked curiously, her head tilting a fraction of an inch to the side with the same amound of curiousness. It boggled her mind why he would be so far north from the Calarosa mountains. Had he decided to leave and start his own adventures too much in the way Enoki had when she was still a yearling?

Mordacai Ashrelle

Once Enoki chuckled and told him to slow down, Cai resumed his sitting position. Part of him was happy to have his older sister here to remind him of his manners. On the other hand, it made Cai remember how Arion had spoken to him. Like a pup. Did Enoki think he still acted like a pup as well? Did she think he needed to be told what to do? Embarrassed, Cai let his body relax, letting go of the excitement that had his body vibrating. His tail stilled and though his body was relaxed, he kept his shoulders back and his head high, hoping to look more dignified. Once they had both taken a moment of silence, Enoki began to answer his questions. He was happy to hear her echo his own sentiments about this land: it was pretty, but nothing compared to the beauty of their home. When Enoki told him that she had only just recently joined a pack he tilted his head curiously. Did that mean that she wouldn't have any attachments to this land? Maybe it wouldn't be as painful for her to leave her new home as he had thought. She seemed to miss home so maybe Cai was doing her a favor coming all this way to bring her back.

Finally, Enoki asked him the question he knew would come. What was he doing here? With a deep sigh, Cai prepared to explain what had happened. Amber eyes softly meeting hers, he gently broke the bad news: "I'm sorry to tell you this sister, but mother and father are no longer with us. Arion leads the Calarosa Mountain pack now, though he is miserable being the alpha." Cai dropped his gaze to the ground and gave a half-hearted laugh at the the way his brother resisted being alpha. It honestly was Arion's worst nightmare. Some wolves were content with being subordinates, but usually they would be honored to be given the title of Alpha. Arion was one of the only wolves Cai had met who seemed to hate it. Raising his eyes to meet Enoki's, he finished his explanation: "I'm so sorry about all of this Enoki, but Arion has sent me to bring you back home. He wants you to lead and has agreed to be your second." Mordacai watched his sister carefully, prepared to be there for her however he could. If she was upset about their parents, he would comfort her. If she was excited to go back home, he would welcome her. If she was sad to leave this place, he would do his best to make her feel better.

Inactive No Rank
Enoki Archer

"I'm sorry to tell you this sister, but mother and father are no longer with us. Arion leads the Calarosa Mountain pack now, though he is miserable being the alpha." As the dreadful words reached her ears they swiveled backwards to lay flat against her skull, a low whimper of grief emitting from the small break of her ebony lips. Dead? She knew that death was a natural occurrence but that didn't keep her from believing that death's grip couldn't touch the Ashrelle bloodline. They were immortals in her mind, but now that little fantasy world was shattered and reality took its place. 'May you rest in peace, mama and papa.' She allowed her thoughts to say before her attention was grabbed by the second portion of Cai's words after silence fell between them again. "I'm so sorry about all of this Enoki, but Arion has sent me to bring you back home. He wants you to lead and has agreed to be your second."

Her lead? Go back home? Yes, Enoki was the most fit out of the litter for the role of a leader, but how could they expect her to just up and leave after finding a place to settle in? An aggravated growl rumbled within her chest cavity at her older brothers orders while her eyes fell to an irritated close. Of course he didn't want the responsibility. He never wanted it when it came to playing their roles within the pack. Growing up Arion always brushed his problems onto her when he didn't want to handle it and being the dedicated woman she was, she did the work for him out of love and to secure the success of the pack. Now here he was again, a thousand miles away and trying to put his problems off on her again by sending Mordacai to do the dirty work. Poor Cai, he was always trying to please Arion and was only trying to do so now. Ceasing the growl within her chest Enoki allowed her eyelids to flutter open slowly and rest her amber gaze on that of her younger brothers. "Thank you for informing me on mother and father, but I can't go back."Pausing her words for a moment she let them sink in before continuing. "I love home and do miss it, but my destiny isn't to rule the Calarosa pack. I belong here and on top of that I have sworn my loyalty to Willow Ridge."

Enoki had made private goals for herself and if she left now, there would be no chance for her to accomplish them. Right now her goal was to please Elettra and Angier(though she was still yet to meet him) and over time she wanted to make a name for herself. If life would have it and fall in her favor one day she planned to leave the Ridge and start a pack of her own. Find a mate, produce some little princes and princesses and begin a legacy all her own. Away from the Calarosa. Of course that was still far in the future for her, if it even happened at all.

Mordacai Ashrelle

What Mordacai had not been expecting was to hear an aggravated growl blossoming from his sister's chest. Her ears lay flat and the spark in her eyes told Cai that she was annoyed. Annoyed? How could she be annoyed with him? The Calarosa Mountain pack needed a leader and Arion just didn't fit the job description. "I love home and do miss it, but my destiny isn't to rule the Calarosa pack. I belong here and on top of that I have sworn my loyalty to Willow Ridge." Her words echoed around in his head, trying to find someway of making sense. She wouldn't go back? How could she not? She was the Ashrelle princess! This was her responsibility! Bewildered and shocked, Cai simply stood there staring at his sister in amazement.

Many tense minutes ticked by as the two Ashrelle siblings stared at each other, amber eyes locked. Finally, Cai found words for all of he feelings stirring inside of him. "So that's it then? You won't come back? You choose them over us?" His voice was deep, decorated with the anger and disbelief that had previously left Cai speechless. As soon as the words were out he regretted his tone. This was Kiki he was talking to, his older sister who had played with him as a pup and taught him how to behave like proper royalty. He should not be angry with her, but he needed to understand. With a more pleading tone, Cai asked, "Enoki, what is it that they offer you that your family cannot?" His eyes searched hers, desperate to find an answer. How was she able to abandon the Calarosa pack? How did she not only have the will to leave but also the will to stay away? More importantly, how could Cai return to Arion without her? "Sister, will you send me back to Arion empty-handed? He already thinks I am a pup; if I return without you he will think I am completely useless." Mordacai was ashamed that his voice shook as he asked this last question. He could not hide the hurt that he felt. His brother wanted his sister. His sister didn't want any of them. No matter how he turned the words around in his head he always arrived at the same conclusion: no one wanted him. No one was choosing him.

Inactive No Rank
Enoki Archer

A wince struck across the features of her countenance as her brother spoke words she couldn't believe, ears laying flat against her ebony crown signalling the hurt his mouth produced from the anger that laced every syllable he spoke. Did he really think it was easy for her to just abandon their family that lay nestled in the mountains hundreds of miles from here? Of course there was a part of her that wanted to return home and be reunited with her loved ones, but at the same time what was there to offer her? If she left, her greatest desire would be handed to her on a golden platter for the taking much like anything else her heart could crave while ruling the family territory. No challenge for it at all. That wasn't what she wanted. Enoki seeks a challenge and going home just wouldn't do it for her. Besides, Arion needed to man up.

A few silent moments passed between the Ashrelle siblings before Mordacai spoke once more, this time his voice taking on a pleading tone. "Enoki, what is it that they offer you that your family cannot?" A challenge. That was the plain and simple truth of the matter and she spoke it so. "A challenge, brother. If I go back home with you everything will be handed to me without questions asked. That's not what I want. I want to fight for what I deserve, not have it given freely." Enoki paused her words then to allow them to sink in and hopefully let Cai understand where she was coming from. Yet before they could the younger Ashrelle filled the drooping willows with the sound of his deep, rich voice though shaky in tone. "Sister, will you send me back to Arion empty-handed? He already thinks I am a pup; if I return without you he will think I am completely useless." It pained her heart to hear her brother speak such self-destructive words and instinctively she wanted to sooth his worries and make things right, but she still wasn't going to leave. And with those words an idea popped into the skunk colored woman's mind.

"Then don't return Mordacai." Her tail thumped with excitement at the plan her mind was conjuring up causing small bellows of dirt to rise a few inches off the ground. "Stay here and make a name for yourself as I wish to for myself. Arion is more than capable of leading the pack and he has our sister to help him. Stay, Cai. Maybe even join Willow Ridge as I have!"

Mordacai Ashrelle

Mordacai Ashrelle was shocked. He had wanted to understand why and how Enoki could leave and now she had offered him the same path. Leave Arion and the Calarosa pack? Join this Willow Ridge pack? At first he had no idea how he felt, but upon watching his sister thumping her tail, amber eyes glinting with excitement, Cai began to acknowledge his own excitement. It bubbled up past layers of diligent loyalty to Arion. Incredulity stopped the excitement in its tracks. How could he possibly be thinking of betraying Arion? Of letting down his leader? No, he had to return and face the consequences of not bring back Enoki. Cai steeled his resolve and prepared to tell Enoki that he had to go back. But as he looked into her familiar amber eyes, an unfamiliar voice echoed through his mind. So you won't let down your brother but you are ready to let down your sister? The voice teased and Cai shifted his weight uneasily. That was a good point. This was Kiki standing here inviting him to stay with her. He hadn't seen her in years and had spent all that time with Arion. Wasn't it only fair that he spend some time with her now?

No, Cai thought firmly. He could not abandon his leader. What kind of subordinate would he be if he abandoned his alpha? Again the voice piped up, apparently taking on the role of devil's advocate, and knowingly said, You were not born to be a subordinate. You are a prince, just as Arion is. Begin your reign here. Build your own kingdom, take your own crown, be your own man. The idea of a kingdom and a crown were tantalizing, tempting Cai to accept Enoki's offer. But he assured himself that he would not leave his brother for glory. No, his real reason for accepting her offer was because he needed to be his own man and he could not do that in his brother's shadow. He craved independence, not glory. With newfound resolve, Cai took a deep breathe and nodded at his sister, a serious look on his face as he spoke. "Yes, Enoki you are right. Arion can lead the pack with Kafei at his side. I will stay here and ask your leader's permission to join Willow Ridge." Letting a warm smile spread across his black muzzle, Cai added, "I'll stay with you Kiki and we can show all of the wolves in this land just how strong and diligent Ashrelle royalty is." He winked playfully at his sister and lovingly licked her cheek. Now, he only needed to impress her leader.