(See All?) Announcements
294 Users Online
Bing, Isla, Aquene, Google

love is louder than all your pain — Whisper Marsh 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Grey who has 512 posts.
Inactive Deceased
Borden Lyall
Private for Rook; would you like to join? Please PM beforehand. Thank you.
November 3rd; Evening; Clear; 24° F/-4° C

The sun was "going to bed," and while Borden knew better than to deviate from the routine his loved ones had so dutifully 'trained' him to follow day in and day out, something - or so he felt tonight - was different. For the most part, he did well in keeping close to the pack den, walking around the open glen just beyond the cavern's mouth, but when his son Rook did not appear back before sunset to "tuck him in" he began to wonder what he thought he had not wondered before.

Just the other day, he had seen @Jaysyek, where was she now? And... hadn't Rook had a twin sister? Where was she? What about Kade? Shouldn't they have all been within the Cedarwood instead of here if Kade had still remained there with the old bear den?

His paws dared to slowly wander along a worn path that was obviously well-used by the Cavern wolves; so long as he remembered to use his nose, he swore to himself that he wouldn't go too far and keep the sight of the cave just at his back. Exhaling slowly and letting his breath lift from his open mouth like a cloud into the darkening autumn sky, Borden sniffed. So much had changed since he had last been here - or, at least, it all felt so new because his views had changed. Or perhaps it had been because he was in a part of Relic Lore that he had never actually been before apart from forging a path from the Mountain of Dire into the heart of the Cedarwood Forest.

He lowered his gaze to look down at the most recent set of discernible tracks that had been set only hours before his arrival there. His right off-white paw lifted to carefully fit within another paw print; regardless of whether it was Rook's or Bishop's or not, it reminded him that he was not alone. It should have brought him comfort but for the time being it only highlighted the fact that the wolves here were not his family and these trails they had made were highways that possibly led the way towards home and beyond.

The Lyall cleared his throat and, even if he did not know just how far Grizzly Hollow actually laid from his very location, he lifted his head and let loose a haunting call for his loved ones to return to him.
Played by Grey who has 444 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Rook Lyall
Since meeting with Narime, Rook's mind had been all over the place. Apart from still fretting over his sister Bishop he was distracted and no amount of Hail Mary's or Our Father's could have soothed him. For the whole of the afternoon, he aggressively lashed out at the dying plants, ridding the nearby trees of a few inches of bark, and uprooting several plants wherever he was able to pull them from the ground. By sunset he was exhausted, and to top it all off, there was a lonely, familiar call in the distance while he was making his way back towards the heart of the pack lands. For a split-second he stopped in his tracks, closing his eyes and rolling them to the back of his skull in exasperation. Of course... In the light of all his revelations and realizations in what he needed to do with his life - for his family's, his mother's, and his own sake - of course, Borden, too, had to be upset.

If this was to become an echo of what had happened the last time he had forgotten to tend to his father, sometime ago when they were both residing within Renegades Reach, time only knew just how long it would take to retrain the Lyall patriarch and get him to stick to his day-to-day routine again.

With a lope that ate up the ground, Rook practically flew across the meadow and through the towering trees that covered the Caverns from view. He did not bother to announce himself; he knew better. As it was, there was no telling in whether Borden would recognize him or not. Instead, when he came upon his singular parent in a slow trot with his head and tail low, he let a small whimper introduce himself.

Then in a low whine he voiced, "Hello, is everything okay? Can I be of assistance to you?"
Inactive Deceased
Borden Lyall
It was startling to discover just how quickly someone had come by. After so many minutes of standing in one place, a soft and most welcoming sound came to his ears. He turned about to see a yearling just about his size... with a mask-like marking like his. And, those eyes, he knew that familiar pair of eyes anywhere. His tail came up in genial wag and he smiled. He smiled because he knew who this boy was; he smiled because just remembering this particular face was something he had been looking forward too all day.

A small bark was given in response and, after becoming unable to contain himself, he staggered forward to bury his face into the nook between Rook's neck and shoulder. Even his olfactory senses did well in confirming that this boy before him was son. He sighed into the long pile of fur that tickled his leathery nose. "Of course you can," he murmured without further hesitance. "I missed you... Please don't- please don't leave me again."

He slowly withdrew himself from the yearling, his brows touching one another as he searched Rook's face for something that would promise him such a thing. "I waited for you, I thought... I thought you'd gotten lost or maybe that I'd ended up somewhere where I wasn't supposed to be." His tail gradually stopped wagging and he grit his teeth in obvious distress. "Why aren't we at home? Where is your mother?"

For Borden Lyall, moments of clarity like this one was slowly becoming a rarity, but so long as he had a really good, hard grasp on it, he was going to utilize it and try as hard as he might to the answers for the next time he came to. "And why are you by yourself, Rook? Where is Bishop?"
Inactive No Rank
Rook Lyall
The look that his father had given him was unmistakable. It seemed that Rook wouldn't have to give up everything - at least for today - just to have Borden recognize him when he needed him most. The light behind his eyes returned and as the older Lyall drew close to nuzzle his face into his fur, Rook reciprocated the gesture, leaning his head against his father's neck and releasing a few whistled whines in reply. Oh, how he had craved this, needed this... But then the heartbreaking statement came in so many different words. Predicted, expected, anticipated: "I missed you... Please don't- please don't leave me again."

For the time being, Rook forced himself to believe Borden had said these select sentiments after realizing he had been away from him for most of the day instead of coming to discover that he had been accidentally forgotten. Rook bit his tongue to keep his usual thoughts - "I've been here all along, Dad. It's okay." and "I didn't leave. You must've forgotten again..." - from ruining it all. He was already guilty of doing something so stupid as to inadvertently push his sister away from him; to have Borden feeling guilt-tripped over something as touchy as dealing with his bouts of forgetfulness could only mean a sense of neediness from the both of them without truly having one another for comfort. Rook was the caretaker now and, as time saw it, he was due to return the favor to his dad when no one else was there to look after him.

"I won't," he declared into the elder's nape. "Don't you worry; and, I know... I'm sorry I kept you waiting." When Borden drew away from him Rook stared into those pastel yellow eyes, anxious now to see the worry that plagued their depths. Another bomb was set off: "Why aren't we at home? Where is your mother?"

"Dad," he began, a grimace distorting his own face. "I don't know." A shake of his head followed the next set of questions, "Bishop... Bishop left. I don't know where she is either." His lip quivered and his eyes glossed over where he could have openly cried had it been possible. "Dad," he made sure to reiterate Borden's given name and title in hopes of keeping his attention, "we're not at home because Grizzly Hollow doesn't exist. Kade is gone."

His throat tightened and it felt like a lump was forming at the base of his tongue. In the day's last light he tried to discern what might have been going on in Borden's mind by just looking at his face and scenting the air, waiting for the very moment where fear or confusion might have crept up between them, "There's no one there. I checked." He thought to mention Taima, but Rook was much too selfish to even think about having her take away what little joy could be had in the beginning of what could have been a long overdue heart-to-heart talk since they had last seen one another in the Greying Glades.
Played by TABs who has 320 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Titan Thorben
I'm sorry.. Work like.. overloaded me

Titan was as inquisitive as ever. After hours of comparing Elettra's herbs to each other by smell alone He had come to the conclusion that some plants that smelled similar to a known medical herb might have the chance at having some of the same healing properties. After that revelation, Titan had began taste testing some of the herbs to compare them with each other. He concluded that it was the same with taste as it was with smell. If a plant tasted almost like another medicinal herb, it might have the same healing properties. Figuring these small details out had been a personal achievement for the young Thorben. Perhaps a healing wolf in training who was more smart than Titan would have figured those similarities out long before he had. However now that he had answered his previous questions, Titan found himself asking another.

Was it possible that other plants were out there that wolves hadn't found yet that could be used as medicinal herbs? Titan wanted to find out, but he didn't know how to. Surely it was dangerous going around and tasting plants that nobody knew about? Then you had to figure out just exactly what the plants did. So how would somebody test a plant to see if it worked? Those questions and many more flitted about Titans mind as he searched the marsh for hellebore. It was a hardy plant, but soon the frosts would get worse and kill off everything green living in and among the marsh. It wasn't until Titan's blue gaze caught the sight of movement that he paused to scent at the air. He had been so distracted by his thoughts that he had not noticed the scent of his friend Rook and an older male.

Grizzly Hollow is gone... There's no one there I checked... Titan's ears only caught the last remanants of the conversation Rook and his father were having. He wondered where this place called Grizzly Hollow had been for a moment before moving forward with a wagging tail.

"Hello Rook." Titan gave the greeting warmly to the younger Lyall as he glanced at the male curiously. His demeanor was a neutral one though that black banner wagged happy to see his friend again. Rook was another wolf he had yet to apologize to for leaving Whisper Caverns so suddenly.

Noting the older man's smei-confused look Titan thought to introduce himself. Maybe that's why he's confused.. He thought before speaking. "Hello sir, my name is Titan Thorben from Willow Ridge pack." He tilted his head quizzically wondering if the older male or Rook would introduce Borden the great.

Inactive Deceased
Borden Lyall
"I won't," Rook had assured him. "Don't you worry; and, I know... I'm sorry I kept you waiting." Borden made sure to mentally play those two sentence back to himself in his mind. This was what he had needed this son for; where Prosper and Theo had taught him about the dangers of fatherhood, Hocus had taught him the perils of being the absent father (just as his own father had practically done to Borden's younger brothers and sister), and where Renier and Ryvet had reminded him of his own childhood, Rook had been needed for Borden's peace of mind. He (and his sister Bishop) might have initially been his and Jaysyek's last hope for raising and grooming a set of proper Leaders to take their places within Renegades Reach, but the both of them had each proved that they were so much more. Even more so when they were apart from one another, something Borden had failed to see.

The answers came with what looked like a truly pained wince as Rook admitted that he did not know were Jaysyek was; additionally, Bishop had left him and she, too, had evaded her brother. They were not within the Cedarwood because their pack lands had been abandoned; the younger Lyall had even gone so far as to check on the place and confirm that it stood unclaimed and empty.

Borden did his best to try and smile, to attempt to pick up Rook's spirits to tell him that they would return to it soon, but before he could take his turn to verbally comfort the youth, the scent of another reached his nostrils. A kind and genial salutation was quick to follow, addressing Rook directly with a simple "hello." The Lyall patriarch took a step back to just barely see the outline or silhouette of a dark-furred yearling with his good eye. As was expected, especially of those who were strangers that had one friend in common, Borden quirked a brow. The other boy was courteous, however, which prompted a nod from the older man upon being introduced.

"Pleased to meet you Titan. Borden, Rook's dad," he actually smiled now, looking to his son briefly before returning his eyes to Rook's friend. If Rook had wanted to go ahead and cut in, he was welcome to but one thing was just begging to be asked (before he plainly forgot to inquire about it), "How is Willow Ridge? Is the Lady Elettra still there?"
Inactive No Rank
Rook Lyall
Borden's smile did little to soothe him but, even then, Rook was still very grateful to have his father back - one that didn't thrash about in a fit, didn't destroy things out of frustration, or reduce his mother to whimpers and whines. He had just touched his nose to the underside of the older Lyall's jaw when a familiar voice flit into their midst. Rook's face lit up; he knew just who had found him. His tail wagged while Borden stepped back and, soon enough, they were both gazing into Titan Thorben's dark face.

"Titan... Hi," he simpered, much like a bashful cub. Had he been younger, he might have actually bounded up to the Thorben with his tail in the air like a banner for all to see his elation expressed in a grand, sweeping gesture. Now that he was a little older, though, and there were feelings (and his father) to account for, Rook stood in place while Borden took hold of the situation at hand. As the two of them exchanged names, the masked youth remained quiet. In his head, however, he was already counting down the seconds and minutes until his father broke down and the three of them would probably have to start this all over again.

He held his tongue, pressing the tip of it against the ridges of the roof of his mouth. As Borden asked about Willow Ridge and Elettra, Rook's head tilted in his own sense of curiosity, all while praying in his head that nothing sour or bitter would arise from it. And, if something did, releasing the rest of Borden's "cooped up" memories, Rook could only hope that he could be both quick and casual enough to handle his father as well as Jaysyek usually did in the event of a breakdown.

His agouti fur stood up apprehensively along his spine, but apart from a brief, slight shake of his head directed to his age-mate, he did nothing else to keep Titan from answering his old man's questions.
Played by TABs who has 320 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Titan Thorben
-slowly opens up a whole can of sh-
"Oh your Rooks-" Titan stopped as he finally understood the situation he had barged in on. He cast Rook a O3O look before facing Borden again with a wide smile. The question the elder Lyall asked had Titan soon nodding in a silent answer. "Yes, she still leads the Ridge wolves. Though I hear she hadn't had the best luck with a lead male for a while. They kept dying or disappearing on her. Until Angier came along. He's been leading with her for a good season now." Titan had no idea what can of worms he might be opening up by mentioning Borden's brother to the masked adult. The dark Thorben had actually thought that Borden might want to learn of his brother still being around. "Now the pack is strong and sturdy under two long term leaders. " He replied casually before glancing to Rook and noticing his... Bashfulness?

Titan didn't want to laugh at his friend so he held the feeling in even as he felt like bursting. At least you have a father who embarrasses you in a good way. Mine makes me embarrassed to even call myself a Thorben sometimes. He thought quietly before settling down on his dark rear and looking at the landscape around them. The marsh seemed rather peaceful right now despite the three wolves now occupying it. No other creatures bothered the predators as they grouped together and socialized. Even the birds seemed to have quieted down to allow for the three to listen to each other more intently.

Inactive Deceased
Borden Lyall

"Oh, your Rook's-" Titan began. Borden's smile inched upward before nodding once more in return. The boys exchanged glances and while Borden was pleased to hear that Elettra was still the head of her pack, he was even more delighted to hear that Angier had managed to find a place for himself. He had to wonder though if she had been the reason for Angier's short stay within Renegade's Reach. Nevertheless, he appreciated the young Thorben for sharing such precious information.

His own pale eyes met Rook's for a short moment and he gave his son a quick, chummy bump to the shoulder. "I'm glad to hear," he eventually lent. "I'd wondered what happened to Angier; he helped us move from Grizzly Hollow some time ago." For a time he sized up the darker yearling, taking in Titan's dark fur, his impressive size, and stark blue eyes. Definitely not Elettra's boy...

"Thorben, you said?" he then questioned. "Sounds... familiar..." He could feel Rook staring at the side and back of his head; he did nothing to acknowledge him. After all, he was just simply asking for curiosity's sake - surely, Rook would have picked up on that. He knew better than most that while Borden kept the pack lands well-looked after, Jaysyek was the one who typically handled the diplomatic affairs.

"You can't be from Willow Ridge originally," he deduced, hoping he would not be interrupted. If he had 'blanked out' for a while, he, more than likely, would not have been able to pull from memory or concept that Titan was not someone who hailed from Elettra's bloodline. At least, not with a name like Thorben. It only made sense. "Who were your parents?"

Inactive No Rank
Rook Lyall

Rook caught Titan's amused gaze, his whiskered brows lifting as his friend answered his father's question. He had to force himself to sit down or else risk fidgeting and whining in front of the Thorben and embarrassing himself all while trying to usher his father back towards the Caverns and into bed. At the mention of Willow Ridge, his mind wandered to @Quil and how she was doing; but, he was immediately called back to the present at the mention of his uncle. He had never met the man, but perhaps while he kept to this part of the woodlands, he would make the effort to try and meet him. From the sounds of it and stories past, he seemed to be of the noble sort and, to have won Elettra's heart over, definitely someone to watch out for (if he remembered correctly the stories about how @Elettra had once dutifully served under Jaysyek's reign).

He was about to mention something about wanting to meet Angier, when Borden changed the subject, enunciating Titan's surname carefully in thought. Rook grimaced, trying hard as not to stare daggers into his dad's head and neck. As much as he wanted to answer that Jaysyek had known Titan's mother, Narimé, he kept his mouth shut to let Titan tell Borden for himself. It might be better that way, to let him hear something from someone else instead. Perhaps the information would... stick.

Inhaling and exhaling quietly, he let his shoulders somewhat relax, listening with frontward-turned ears as the rest of the 'interrogation' unfolded.