251 Users Online
Bing, Google

What's In Your Head — Red Fern Forest 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by PuppyThief who has 538 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Drestig Avalon
- Dated 4/13 2015

He scowled into the water, ember eyes shimmering sullenly. The face that stared back at him from the pond was unfamiliar, white hairs lining his muzzle and streaks of silver shining through the black along the cheeks and forehead. He looked old! This spring had aged him, more than his previous five years it seemed, and as his long winter coat had shed, this stranger had appeared; This old man! Drestig Avalon snarled lowly and pushed a pawful of dirt into the water as he rose from his crouch at the bank. Spinning around, he looked up at the red hills to the east, eyes still narrowed in anger. He felt a fire smoldering in his chest, nostrils flaring as he sought out scents in the wind. The stench of his targets stood out clearly in his mind, he was gonna make them pay!

This spring, which should have been full of bliss and hope and new beginnings had been spoiled by these monsters encroaching on Oak Tree Bend. As the dark wolf started moving again, legs carrying him through the red ferns towards the towering Sierra Hills, he pondered, for maybe the hundredth time, on the intent of these lousy rouges; What do they possibly think they can gain? The mere numbers of the Bend should have been enough to send them running. But it hadn't, they were still lurking in the shadows; he'd smelled them. The mere thought made his blood boil, ever since Nayeli's return, his time had been stolen away by constant patrols around the Vale, fruitless hunts through the forests to try and chase away this evil.

Was he imagining the pain in his joints? The white speckled face once again stared at him in his mind's eye, accusingly. He felt so worn out, how much longer did he have? He'd hoped that this year, with Silver by his side... But those hopes had been destroyed! He snarled; And it will cost them! All of his energy was pushed into this one mission; protect his home! I'll show them the teeth of Oak Tree Bend!

Word count: 350

Thoughts ”Speech”

(This post was last modified: May 12, 2015, 03:28 PM by Drestig.)

pride12
Played by Lightning who has 727 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Jessie Tainn

Tensions were running high within Oak Tree Bend. With war on the edge of their minds, Jessie was never sure what to do with herself. Lately, she had been busying herself with constant patrols and looking out for anymore signs from their unwanted deaths. There were also signs that Nayeli was once again with child. With Spieden still as lead, which pissed Jessie off her high ends, the Tainn had done her best to keep an eye on Triell's mate, not wanting their current leading lady to get any ideas. However, her thoughts of her female friend dissipated when her nose caught Drestig's scent going away from the borders alone. Even though she was still displeased with her pupil's choice, Jessie still held an edge of possession over him. The pepper and salt colored woman had invested her time into the man and while he had thrown the time she spent with him in her face, that time still existed, and some passionate part of her soul lit with fury at the thought of the Avalon wandering alone, suddenly caught off guard by the bastards that thought they could take down the Bend.

The Scout was quick to follow after Drestig's trail, her lithe body moving easily through the forest, her nose on a mission. She traveled through the different territories, ever alert of her surroundings, but when she happened across the borderline lands of Red Fern Forest, Jessie froze in her tracks, as if a shield had been placed in front of her and there was no way that she could move through it. Horrifying memories of Rissa's bloodied body once again flashed through her mind. However, a reminder of what the Bend was facing right now forced her onward, her desire to not having to find another wolf she cared about in a mangled mess all by herself. While she moved, the memory, once again, forced her to shudder.

Her body moved more quickly, wanting to get to her destination as soon as possible so that she wouldn't have to stay in the wretched place for longer than she needed to. Her mission right not was to find Drestig and return to the Bend, with him in tow. Both were quickly trained in the role of a Guardian, she was sure, but right then was not the time for the two of them to be away from home. So when Jessie saw Drestig's dark form, she was quick on her feet to reach him, her body moving towards him silently. She spoke calmly, her voice holding an edge of panic in it, "You shouldn't be so far from the borders on your own...you heard Triell at the last pack meeting..." Her voice was slightly stern, as if she were scolding her own child, even though she things would never exist. Right then, she wanted them to return, and if it was a necessity, she needed to know why he had come out here in the first place.

[Image: jessiehotei-greysig01.jpg]
Inactive No Rank
Drestig Avalon
Grumpy Drestig inbound! x3

His nose was close to the ground, brushing through the crimson plants as he moved along the edges of the forest, ember eyes darting around constantly in search of any movement. His flaring nostrils filled with the stench of his prey, but it was stale, only the faintest hints lingering on the red leaves, and, though his ears waved and flicked relentlessly, he heard no other sounds than his own footfalls on the soft floor. No part of the situation served to calm his agitation, every swipe of the ferns like a slap in his face; I'll find them, I'll find them and I'll make sure they NEVER show their sorry little faces in the Lore again! He snorted and speed up, continuing towards the mountains, searching for a fresher scent.

How long he had spend hunting through the ferns, he didn't know, but at some point, a faint rustling somewhere to his right made him pause. Lifting his head, the dark scout looked into the woods, eyes narrowed and tail raised, lips curling back from his teeth in preparation for an attack; Come at me! The scent reached him just as the grey silhouette appeared through the trees, and he felt himself relax, a groaning sigh leaving his throat as his head fell. It was not the smell he was following, but one even more familiar, and it made his brows furrow in a deep frown; What is SHE doing here?! Jessie stepped free of the last trees and spoke, an unusual urgency lining her voice. Drestig met her eyes, a toothy grin spreading on his face, though there was no humor in his eyes; "Sorry mom!" He drawled, tail flicking behind him, still held high; "But I'm getting very tired of being a good little boy and waiting around until daddy decides to do something about this!" He gestured to the surrounding with his head, sniffing rapidly at the air to underline his point.

While Jessie might be fine sitting on her ass while Triell brooded, Drestig was at the end of his rope; What use is it patrolling borders when the enemy sticks to the shadows?! The wolves of Oak Tree Bend had hid behind their borders and tucked tails, leaving Nayeli's attackers to scout out the terrain and take root, preparing an attack. What had seemed like a reasonable idea to begin with had stretched out and turned into an act of cowardice; A JOKE! They should have flushed this vermin out immediately, but reason had left them to plan. Drestig glared at his former teacher, eyes smoldering like a wildfire, hackles prickling; "I am perfectly capable of taking care of myself." Then he looked around, a touch of his trademark impishness returning to his face and voice as he lifted his brows triumphantly and said: "And if I'm not mistaken, you are out here alone as well."

Word count: 482

DRESTIG AVALON
you see it's not me, it's not my family

(This post was last modified: Apr 22, 2015, 08:38 PM by Drestig.)

pride12
Played by Staff who has 4,812 posts.
There is a rabbit\'s nest nearby. +1 Health
Played by Emma who has 530 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Iopah Reinier

Voices filtered through the air.

Pale gray ears flicked as Iopah worked to bring herself to a stop as gracefully as possible. It was an ability she was losing as the weeks gained on her. She still had three weeks to go and her sides were only noticeably swollen, but it was more than enough to throw her center of gravity off. Her feet were more heavy than she would have liked, but finally she was stopped and panting lightly. She turned to listen and her sides brushed the nearest frond. It was friable and airy, incredibly delicate. Iopah watched it crumble and scatter to the breeze. The forest was still more brown than it was scarlet. This years fern's were nothing more than tiny curls of green, waiting for the opportunity to unfurl and reveal the vibrant shade underneath.

At first she thought they were one of her own group. Perhaps it was Inkheart? Her muzzle wrinkled as the distant conversation continued. The voice was too gruff for the ebony male, and that certainly was not Zia with him. Her muzzle crinkled in curiosity, then indecision. She should go back. Koda had given permission for a quick walk, not a chat with their new neighbors. There was a part of her that seethed at the insinuation of her weakness. Her feet sank deep into the fronds that littered the floor. Hiding was no less dangerous than meeting them face to face. If they wanted to find her, they could. With that thought in mind Iopah send a low chuff out to the two strangers. They were only just in sight now, but she didn't want to startle them. It was the right decision, but her ears angled quickly in case the reply was unwelcome.

(This post was last modified: Apr 24, 2015, 02:30 AM by Iopah.)
Inactive No Rank
Jessie Tainn

Drestig’s characteristic sass did not go appreciated by the Scout as she stood there, her pelt bristling as she was once again reminded of the place she was in. Emerald eyes darted around suspiciously before settling back on the man in front of her. His clipped words caused a surge of anger to well up within her. His voice was bitter and while Jessie could understand his annoyance, the fact of the matter was, he still had much to learn. Her lips curled back and she snapped at him, attempting to nip under his muzzle firmly. Growling, she spoke, her voice snappy, ”It doesn’t matter what you think about this situation, Drestig. We were given orders by Triell to remain within the pack borders unless he told the two of us otherwise, which he has not yet.” She paused then, making eye contact with him before continuing, ”Triell is our King. Even if we don’t like what his decision is we have to stick with it no matter what.” She gave a pointed look at him, much like the ones she had given him when they had first gone on their little scouting trip months ago. Right now, he was in the wrong, and Jessie was just trying to save his ass….again.

She breathed out a sigh when he spoke of her. She gave a quick glare to him, her voice the same clipped tone, as usual, ”I’m out her because of you, you bastard. I might be pissed at you but you’re still family and family sticks together no matter what.” She eyed him, her muzzle wrinkling, as if a disgusting thought had just occurred to her, ”And that’s why I’m pissed at myself too, because I went against orders to come find your ass.” The pepper and salt colored woman was about to go on another ranting lesson when another scent hit her nostrils. Her body moved, instinctually, in front of Drestig, much like she had when they had been in the mountains and had gained the unfortunate opportunity to meet Phineas, an enemy to Oak Tree Bend. Her body was tense, but the woman that excited seemed harmless enough, and telling from her scent pregnant enough. None the less, the fact that she was in Red Fern Forest made the woman uncomfortable and extremely irritable. Quite rudely, she spoke, ”Can we help you?” Her eyes narrowed into slits, making it clear that she expected no hostility from the other woman and should she display it, she would have no problem taking care of the problem.

Inactive No Rank
Drestig Avalon

Normally he would have cherished the sour expression that came over her face at his provocation, but today he was in no mood for games, he was worn out. he had wanted to be alone, needed this time by himself, reliving the joy of being your own master which he was beginning to sorely miss. But Triell's faithful squire insisted on playing babysitter and he was really tired of it. When she bit out at him, he shifted his head slightly with an irritated jolt, leaving her to only graze his chin rather than get a proper grip. His tail swished agitatedly at his hocks as she began to speak, her sharp tone making his lain-back ears twitch. The words themselves did little to change his mind, or affect him in any manner, they were what he would expect from her; Little miss goody-four-paws!

When she sought to meet his eyes, the grey and ebony man looked back evenly, a small snort escaping him at the end of her dutiful little tirade. His lips parted as soon as hers met - she could glare and snap at him as much as she wanted, he was done! But before he had time to talk back, she sighed, emerald gaze leaving his for a second, and he wavered, studying her with narrowed eyes; She still hasn't answered... He didn't get to the end of the thought before she glared up at him again, snarling an excuse, blaming him! This time, her words did shake him a bit though; the sentiment, however snappily it was delivered, reaching through his fog of frustration. Coming from Jessie... Well, the word family meant a lot.

But he wanted to argue, he wanted to spit back in the face of authority and show everyone, especially himself, that he could still handle his own. So when the grey woman's face twisted into a grimace, a humorless smirk slit over his face. "Then go home!" He snarled back as soon as she finished, sure to be quick this time and not leave her room to go on; "Please don't get in trouble on my behalf, mosey on home like the good girl you are. It might be fine for you to wait around until Triell calls on you, but..." He paused, brows furrowed, face wrinkled in a frustrated expression; "Maybe I've had enough Jessie! Really it's surprising that I managed to stick it out for this long. I'm not a follower, I can't sit back and only jump when my king asks, it's not my game!" He shrugged his shoulders, ember gaze drifting away from the small woman to glare into the forest. He didn't mean it, not fully at least, but he was tired of having her hanging over his shoulder all day long, never able to wander out on his own. This whole thing had really put his devotion t the test, and he was starting to crack at the edges.

Before any of them had time to say more, a low call attracted their attention. Drestig spun to face the approaching stranger, narrowing his eyes to see her through the shadows. He could have rolled them when Jessie stepped protectively in front of him if his attention hadn't been fully focused on the possible threat. Ebony tail arched high over his back, legs spreading out to give him a broader, firmer stance and hackles and ears rose as he let Jessie do the talking and used his own time study the stranger. She was female, and pregnant! Some of his tension faded, but he remained in a defensive stance, keeping both his eyes on the woman, just in case.

Word count: 613

Thoughts ”Speech”

pride12
Played by Emma who has 530 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Iopah Reinier
-embarrassingly late post- Sorry guys! @Jessie @Drestig

The pair turned to her with a flash of teeth and narrowed eyes. Iopah was not so pregnant that she couldn't have run away, but she didn't. Her pale ears swung back neatly in acquiescence as she regarded them. Gold eyes flitted from one to the other in glances that would not hold their eyes. The expecting mother knew self-preservation was a more appropriate trait than dominance here.

Their pack scent was unfamiliar, but it's presence alone was reassuring. She could smell many wolves on their coats -- males, females and even a few not-quite yearlings. They were not the trio of wolves Zia had warned about. But, they could have been. It had been foolish for Iopah to leave the safety of her small group in this area. Her attention turned from Drestig after a moment of polite perusal to Jessie to do the same. The recognition was immediate, but faint. Iopah cocked her head in a curious little gesture and made a second, tentative pass of the gray and white woman's features. There was nothing beyond vague deja vu, and a blurry memory of frost-bitten air and pounding hooves.

"Can we help you?" Was snapped out as a greeting.

Iopah swung her eyes up a brief meeting with Jessie's and answered subconsciously: "No, I don't need help this time." Gold eyes flickered away as she tried to remember why she'd said that to the woman. It was such an old encounter, and a task that blurred given her livelihood; Iopah could not remember anything further. She felt uncomfortable, more than a little confused with this meeting, and it suddenly came to her that the answer she'd given wasn't much of one. Pale feet shuffled and she turned back to Drestig, listening to Jessie with attentive ears only. "I thought you might've been someone I'm travelling with," Probably Zia and Inkheart were back with the rest of the group now, likely wondering where she was now. Wondering and possibly becoming concerned. There was worse things in this forest than neighboring pack wolves. "but I'm glad you're not the three wolves I was warned about."

Inactive No Rank
Jessie Tainn

With Drestig’s continued stand-off, Jessie fumed, the hair along her spine rising. She did not enjoy arguing with him but sometimes it was needed to get messages through his thick skull. With his clipped words, Jessie’s lips parted to give her own sentiment but she was not given the chance.

Generally, Jessie was quick to acknowledge her hunting partners, especially ones that she had enjoyed working with, be it once or twice. It had actually been how Jessie had met Hotei…or Burn, at the time. The Scout did not recognize the woman in front of her but did acknowledge that she was pregnant. However, when she finally spoke, Jessie’s mind took her to back when she was younger, back in Swift River with Brenton, Cali, and Ice. The taste of fresh meat and the companionship of someone who was not in her pack flashed through her mind. This woman, Iopah, Jessie believed her name was, had been quite kind and the two had hunted well together. Their interaction had been a step closer to Jessie getting out of her depression. This encounter was completely different though and Jessie had not seen this woman in years.

Her weariness only increased when the other woman spoke of three wolves. There was no chance that these wolves were the three that Oak Tree Bend were on the lookout for. Oak Tree Bend should have been the only ones that knew about these wolves. As far as Jessie knew and cared, it was their business and other wolves did not need to get themselves concerned in it. None the less, the Tainn felt comfortable enough around her old acquaintance and relaxed slightly, her tail swaying down into a neutral position as she took in the changes that had taken to the other woman. Obviously, she had gotten older but it seemed that time had treated her well, she looked healthy enough and it was quite obvious that she had found a mate.

Still curious as to how she knew about the three wolves that Oak Tree Bend was on the lookout for, she cleared her throat, her tone much lighter now, “How do you know about these wolves? As far as we know, Oak Tree Bend is the only ones who know about it…Iopah. A light smile graced her features as she nodded her head to the other woman. Though their first interaction had been brief, they had gotten along. While Jessie hated to admit it, she needed more friends that were not within the pack. Most of these friends consisted of males anyway. Perhaps Oak Tree Bend could even benefit from whatever this was one day soon. After all, Iopah had said she was traveling with others. While Jessie knew nothing about the creamy woman that could certainly change. Hopefully, she was still as decent as the last time they had met.

Inactive No Rank
Drestig Avalon

The stranger studied them closely, and Drestig followed her golden gaze as it moved from him and onto his smaller companion, clearly weighing them both, though not exactly in a rude way. Not nearly as rude as Jessie's greeting anyway, though the ebony man could not blame her, he was of a mind to react in the same manner. But then something changed. He saw the stranger tilt her head, a mysterious glint in her eyes. As the two women looked at each other, it was clear that there was something going on between them, but it was impossible for the male to tell what exactly, other than the fact that his pack mate was clearly relaxing, seeing no threat in the pregnant stranger; What a surprise! The pale lady's answer made him further curious, seeming to disregard Jessie's gruff tone and speaking like the two of them were old friends.

Drestig looked down at his mentor, searching for any sign of recognition on her face; and he thought he saw something, though Jessie's general stance didn't change remarkably. The tall chap wrinkled his brows, his foul mood not bettered particularly by this feeling of being left out of something. His ears twitched when the pregnant shewolf spoke again, and he turned to face her once more, ember eyes narrowed; Travelling with..? What did that mean exactly? She was standing downwind from the two Bend-wolves, her scent obscured as the wind carried it in the opposite direction, so it was impossible to tell exactly how many wolves she was travelling with, but she was pregnant, so the assumption would be that she at least had a mate; And probably a pack. Whether they had lain claim on a land or not, he would think of them as such, and the idea of another, unknown pack somewhere nearby did not ease his mind in the slightest.

Her last comment made the silver-dusted man focus on her anew, eyes widening, while his brows stayed suspiciously furrowed. His mind of course went instantly to the monsters they themselves were hunting, and it would be a great coincidence if this stranger had been warned about another group of three that just so happened to be in the same area. Jessie seemed to have resonated similarly, as her reply came swiftly, tone surprisingly placid as she inquired as to how the other had come to know of these criminals. And she mentioned her name. Drestig looked down at the smaller scout again, agitation clear on his face; So they DO know each other! Of course he could have expected Jessie to be this reticent, if he wanted any information out of her he would need to ask himself.

So, in a carefully level tone, holding no small amount of sarcastic tension, he spoke: "Perhaps an introduction is in order." He stared pointedly at the petrous woman, then raised his head and send this Iopah a slick smile; "Drestig Avalon of Oak Tree Bend, you seem to know Jessie..?" The remark landed somewhere in between a statement and a question, spoken with the hopes of getting a little further clarification on the relationship between the two. Then the aging man cleared his throat lightly, taking half a step to get clear of Jessie's protection, feeling certain now that this ivory lady was not a threat. He glanced over at the grey female, then gave an almost apologetic smile to the opposer; "As Jessie says, we are... familiar with this band of wolves, in fact we are out here searching for them at this very moment." He cocked a brow, motioning lightly with his muzzle as an invitation to answer him, hoping that Iopah might have more information about their enemies.

Word count: 624

Thoughts ”Speech”

pride12