Print · · Subscribe · 1 Loves ·
Played by Jenandra who has 438 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Raela Lieris Asurn
5/6/2015
2:15 PM
Sunny
48 ° F,  9 ° C 

@Cessair  Little PP to get us started! - Let me know if I should change anything. I'm going to have them spend the first two posts tracking down a Caribou carcass and chatting before they actually get to it. 

While biding her time and waiting for the fickle springtime weather to clear up, the subordinate's thoughts had repeatedly pondered asking another to accompany her on this trip. Astraeus seemed the obvious first choice, with his love of adventure and their growing companionship. Naturally she thought to visit the man that morning, as soon as she saw how perfectly clear the blue sky was. But, before she had gotten far the woman had run into Cessair, her one female superior aside from Minka. The pale-coated woman seemed keen on Raela's idea, and Rae had no qualms about bringing her along instead. It was a good chance to get to know the shy little wolf. To Raela she was a friendly little thing, and a potential addition to her growing collection of new friends. The smaller creature's shyness made Rae feel far more relaxed than she normally was; as it was usually she who did the worrying. 

It had taken a couple hours to traverse the rolling hills of the timbers and bring the flattened tundra onto the horizon. Its appearance served to excite the tawny woman, pulling her forward in wonder each time they crested a ridge. The rest of her time was spent observing, nose working hard on the other purposes of the expedition. Food and searching for Noble. All the way they'd been careful to search for easy prey or abandoned kills. Sadly, all they'd found was rot and bones, and the local prey was hardly worth the effort. There was no sign of the little girl either. The earth at their feet began to level out, and the great giants they sheltered amongst back home started to thin. With a pep in her step Rae moved onward, finally bringing the wide expanse into view. It was green with the coming of spring, and more vast than her eyes could ever hope to take in. The woman's eyes found her companion's with excitement and awe. 

”I've never seen anything like this.” She paused, still taking in the landscape. ”Have you?” She waited for the woman's answer before putting her nose to the air once again. A soft tundra breeze brought good news, and caused her ears to stiffen. With a glance back to Cessair, Rae started moving again, now at a trot. The girl's voice rang out hastily over her shoulder. ”There's a caribou over here, and it doesn't smell rotten!” There was some humor to her tone, referencing the few carcasses they'd come upon with frustration earlier. Nose to the wind, it would be a little bit before they reached the source of the distant scent. With any luck, they'd have something to bring back for everyone. Once Cessair was beside her and they were on the trail, Raela thought to speak again. ”I really hope we can bring some of it back. I want Minka and the little ones to be strong, the poor things.” They'd been chatting on and off the whole time, but only now did Rae mention the sadness that seemed to dwell within them all. 

Image © Chris Smith Photography
Manipulation © Jenandra
(This post was last modified: May 06, 2015, 10:16 PM by Raela.)
            [Image: 1HGS6dy.png]
[Image: AsFM155.png]
Played by Evelynne who has 132 posts.
Inactive Deceased
Cessair Lux
Sorry this took me so long...  I'm just going to shove Cessair's random event in here somewhere since it expires soon and I don't want to miss it.

After a refreshing break sitting in the sunbeams at her favorite lookout point, Cessair set off at a comfortable stroll in search of a job.  The pack was getting pretty well settled into its new territory by now, but it seemed like there was always someone who could benefit from some help with something.  She ran into Raela a few minutes later and, since she did not know her one female subordinate that well, she decided to strike up a chat.  A glitter of adventure flashed in the tawny woman's  eyes, and, excited by the prospect, Cessair could hardly help but accept Raela's offer to go on a scouting trip.  Perhaps they could start to develop a friendship.  They seemed to share a love of adventure, anyway; perhaps they had even more in common.

The hours spent exploring the low mountains passed quickly.  Cessair felt like she was treading on air at the sight of each new sweeping landscape, and her companion appeared to enjoy the experience just as well.  Their shared joy and occasional friendly exchanges lifted Cessair's spirits immensely.  As much as she wanted to, the smaller woman couldn't let herself soar away with the sensation.  The thought of Noble, starving and lonely or possibly dead, kept Cessair's nose anchored to the ground as she traveled.  She lifted her snout as they crested another hill to survey the view and froze, a sharp gasp caught in her throat.

Golden beams from the afternoon sun caught in each young blade of grass, and winds unrestrained sent ripples over the vast plains, scattering the light like a great kaleidoscope.  The cynosure arrested Cessair's attention, and she stood dumbfounded with rapture for several seconds before she comprehended Raela's words.  "No," she whispered.  "All my travels, and I had never found this place."  Cessair was drifting back into semiconscious bliss when her companion interrupted her again, joking about caribou as she set off into the lowlands.  A mirthful huff of air escaped the fawn woman's nose before she too caught the welcome sent and took off at a bouncing trot to catch up.

Raela voiced the words that had been tugging at the back of Cessair's mind ever since they had left pack territory.  She nodded before replying.  "So much has happened...  Spring is coming, and it's about time something good happened to Minka and her family."  Just then, the nearby scent of hare caught Cessair's attention.  She veered off to follow it, thinking that a snack now would strengthen her and Raela for hunting or more traveling later.  A small hole in the ground soon appeared before her creamy paws, and as she considered it, she realized that she didn't know how she would get the hare out of its den.  With no better ideas, Cessair thrust her head into the hole and hoped for the best.  It turned out that the hole was deep, and the scent was just stale enough to imply that the rabbit wasn't home anyway.  She tried lifting her head back out, but was unsuccessful.  Spreading her legs a little for leverage and pulling harder didn't accomplish anything either.  Her cheeks burning from embarrassment, Cessair called for help as loudly as she could muster with her head underground and hoped that Raela was nearby.

(This post was last modified: May 15, 2015, 02:28 AM by Cessair.)
Played by Staff who has 4,812 posts.
There is a family of deer nearby. Hunt Opportunity
Inactive No Rank
Raela Lieris Asurn
OOC: ahhhahaa xD poor Cessair. 

Mentally she paused to appreciate the mutual concern they shared for their lone leader. The words that left their mouths would have been punishable in her old pack; it would be disgraceful that they dared feel pity for the weakened. There was time now, as they walked, to marvel at how her life had shifted; how vastly everything had hit rock bottom only to climb higher than it ever had before. The security she felt here was unparalleled. Even in this vast expanse of tundra she was not truly afraid, because she was not truly alone. Raela snapped out of these thoughts as the scent of hare drifted by. Before she could even open her mouth it seemed the smaller girl was already on it. 

Following her pack mate at a leisurely stroll to the animal's hideaway, she watched as her single superior tried to work out a plan. Slowing, she stood back, glinting eyes attempting to locate an easier target. If this was a warren, there would surely be more around. Carefully her gaze inspected the sweeping grasses, drawing up nothing of interest. It was a good few seconds before the paler female interrupted yet again. Rae's ears flicked back, her head following suit. What she saw would have made the girl burst into laughter if she weren't so concerned. A response hurried reflexively from her throat. ”Cessair?!” Rushing forward, her mind grappled with potential dangers and reasons for the woman's predicament. Hopefully these rabbits weren't the feisty kind, like the groundhogs had been. The girl would get mighty scratched up if they were.

This in mind, she stared at the hole that had snagged her friend. Rae moved swiftly to the opposite side. ”Hang on, I think I can get you out.” Her voice was serious as she moved again, trying to angle herself sideways. She wanted to dig the woman free, but without scratching her up in the process. If she could go from the side, at least her claws wouldn't have much of a chance of snagging Cessair's skin. Slowly she started, then progressing to a furious pace as dirt and pebbles flew out behind her. If she could just get it wide enough... Every few moments she paused to look up; they'd be in serious trouble if something angry showed up right now.

Manipulation © Jenandra
Inactive Deceased
Cessair Lux

The muffled sound of Raela's voice reached Cessair's ears from somewhere above and the trapped woman relaxed a little.  She knew she would need to slow down her breathing as she waited to be rescued; the air in the rabbit hole was already growing thick and smothering.  Cessair concentrated on sounds instead.  The steadily intensifying sound of claws scraping away dirt was the voice of salvation, but it was a very unnerving sort of sound, nonetheless. She could almost imagine herself as vanquished prey buried in a cache (though the rapid thudding of her heart told Cessair she was not), now being dug up for consumption.  It was a silly thought, but she was growing dizzy from lack of oxygen and she could be prey anyway if something decided to attack at this moment.

Ages passed, or so it felt, before a claw collided with Cessair's cheek.  The impact didn't draw blood, but it hurt enough to cause her head to jerk upward and suddenly the small woman was free.  Momentum pushed her backward and she landed sloppily on her haunches, gasping in the deliciously fresh tundra air.  The oxygen was quickly restoring her and Cessair looked up to see her rescuer standing between the excavated hole and a pile of soil.  "Thanks," she wheezed.  Then she shook some of the dirt from her eyes and ears and focused again on recovering.

When Cessair caught her breath, her face again went hot from embarrassment. ”I don't know if I've ever done anything so stupid.  Thanks again for digging me out.”  She chuckled at her own misfortune and flashed a sheepish smile at Raela.  "Let's just go get that caribou and forget about the rabbit."  Cessair stood and mumbled "I wasn't hungry for rabbit anyway..." before giving herself a final shake and setting off to follow the caribou's scent.

Inactive No Rank
Raela Lieris Asurn

Cessair's abrupt recoil revealed that she had managed to hit skin despite her technique. Fortunately this resulted in her pack mate's renewed freedom, but an apologetic ”sorry!”  fluttered from her lungs anyhow. Raela looked on while the smaller wolf calmed herself. The wave of relief from knowing that she was truly okay was allowing a broad smile to pass onto the rescuer's ebony lips. As soon as her superior had finished talking Rae's smile had parted for a good laugh. The paler girl giggled as well before more words left her mouth. When it was her turn, the younger female interjected between chuckles. ”It's okay. The caribou will be much more worth the effort.” A mischievous grin revealed her teeth, while her tail wagged happily. Finally there was a misfortune she could laugh about instead of pity.

The ruddy girl rose with Cessair, content to amble along at her side while they zeroed in on the dead animal once more. Fresh blood tinged each breath of crisp tundra air, making Raela's travel-weary stomach all the more belligerent. She was sure both of them had to be pretty hungry by now. The heavy metallic scent grew stronger, pulling them further into the endless grassy sea. Brief gusts of wind pushed the stalks about in waves. It was something she'd seen before of course, but not on such a grand scale. The rhythm was mesmerizing. Realizing that there was still a good distance to travel before they could eat, Raela turned to the woman at her side and spoke again. ”You said you did a lot of traveling?” She paused for a brief moment before adding, ”What was your first territory like? Or what was your favorite?” It seemed the subject was quite relevant, given the strange topography they were now wandering through, and the fact that neither had even seen something resembling its vastness before.

Manipulation © Jenandra
Inactive Deceased
Cessair Lux
I think this is the most Cessair has ever spoken in one go XD

Raela's giggling was infectious, and Cessair didn't mind laughing at herself. After all, everyone makes mistakes, and she felt fortunate to have made one that -- this time -- didn't really have any consequences.  As she set off again with her companion, Cessair's heart was light, despite her embarrassment.  The breathtaking sight of the tundra quickly drove her misfortune from her thoughts. And the growing scent of blood on the breeze just as quickly reminded her of her hunger.  It had been quite a while since the fawn fae had eaten, but Cessair noted happily that the hunger she felt now wasn't nearly as thought-consumingly intense as was the hunger she felt several months ago when she had collapsed half-dead at Minka's paws.  No, this hunger was less like death's summons and more like a gentle reminder that she was alive, she was functioning, she was enjoying a new life.

Hers was also the kind of hunger she could push to the back of her mind to attend other thoughts.  Since there was still some distance between the pair and their target, Raela wanted to chat, and Cessair was happy to oblige.   "Yes; I've been a wanderer most of my life.  I had never been part of a pack before I joined Black Thorn Downs last winter.  My first territory..."  Cessair paused her speech to think.   ”Well, I hardly remember it.  I was young and I didn't stay there long.  But of all the places I've been, I've always loved mountains the best.  Not big mountains, like the ones to the east that look so forbidding and dangerous -- more like the mountains where we live now.  I still miss traveling, but from the top of a mountain, I feel like I can see the whole world without lifting a paw.”  The once-wanderer wore a faint smile as she reflected on her fortune in being accepted into Black Thorn Downs and in later helping to found Round Stone Crest.   "So, how about you?  What's your favorite territory like?"

Inactive No Rank
Raela Lieris Asurn

It was nice to see that Cessair felt comfortable enough to divulge so much information in her answer. Raela kept an ear pinned toward the pale woman; her nose occupied with discovering the buffet they'd been tracking. Still she smiled, pausing when the scent seemed to waver on the breeze. When her chance to speak arrived, Raela turned her head back to face her companion as they padded along. ”Oh I love the hilly areas too. Our little mountain is gorgeous.” She really was enjoying the Crest so far. It seemed many of them preffered the small mountain to the brambles. ”I'm a sucker for great views too.” She was smiling now. ”I can stare a long time at a beautiful landscape and not get bored in the slightest.”

Her thoughts drifted to the gentle slopes of her home; thick clusters of pine and woody bushes as the only relief from the expansive fields of the Asurn territory. It was not a place she cared to remember.  Directing her spacy gaze back to Cessair, the girl answered. ”I love the forests. The old ones with tall leafy trees that filter the sunlight and keep the forest floor clear and easy to pass through.” Her glinting eyes twinkled with light as a smirk crossed her face. ”I wasn't much of a fan of the blackberry bushes." She switched the subject back again to her response. ”But that kind of forest on a little mountain like ours would be heaven. I suppose the trees we have back home do the job well enough for me.”

Their little exchange over, Raela's eyes drifted out onto the rolling horizon. Again she resumed watching the wind course through the tender blades of grass. One of these bright green waves drew her intense yellow gaze right up to an impressively sized antler sticking out from behind a gentle knoll in the terrain. Realizing instantly that she'd found it, her orange ears were greeted to the annoying ruckus of crows circling overhead. Damn things got here first she steamed. It was little matter; the two of them could chase them off just by being there. 

Unfortunately the real trouble waited to reveal itself until they were closer. Now they moved at a gentle loping pace, swiftly bringing another set of creatures into view. The sight pulled Raela's lips back; a dark growl of irritation stirring in her chest. Coyotes. Many times she'd run into these bastards while scavenging alone. Even if she mustered the energy to chase them away they'd come circling around again, pestering her for their share. A quick utterance passed her lips, ”three of 'em.” The girl was sure that Cessair would know exactly what she had in mind as her speed began increasing. They'd charge the little pests and send them running; crying out for help in that obnoxious high-pitched coyote voice. At least the little buggers were skittish. She was barreling toward them now, jaws parted in a fierce combat display. Rae's adrenaline was rising, whipping her paws into the softened spring earth. The little animals looked up from their feast, muzzles still red with blood. The crows grew more and more cacophonous as the wolves' presence was taken note of and announced. If the lot of scavengers didn't move, the ladies would be on them in seconds.

Manipulation © Jenandra
(This post was last modified: May 22, 2015, 06:06 PM by Raela.)
Inactive Deceased
Cessair Lux

Cessair nodded in acknowledgement of her companion's thoughts.  The mountains were certainly a welcome change from the blackberry bushes, and it seemed that most of the pack shared the two ladies' opinion.  Just as her sienna nose lifted to test for the scent they had been following, Cessair sensed Raela's change in attention.  Cessair looked to her side and then followed the tawny woman's gaze to spot the antler standing still in a sea of rolling grasses.  Her stomach growled in anticipation.

Having relied upon what food she could scavenge most of her life, Cessair was well accustomed to driving off smaller scavengers from a meal. The crows, she knew, would be no problem to the two Crest wolves.  It was the trio of coyotes that would provide more of a challenge.  Cessair matched Raela's aggressive expressions and sped up to join the charge.  Though the small woman had never enjoyed exercising power over other wolves, she had to admit to herself that running off coyotes was rather fun.  It wasn't often that she met a canine smaller and more skittish than herself, so the task was a good boost of confidence.

The coyotes soon sensed the wolves' approach and scattered, but they would be back if they weren't quickly put in their place.  Cessair targeted one in particular and set off at full speed, the confusion of sights, sounds, and scents providing an exhilarating burst of adrenaline.  She was upon the scrawny creature in moments.  Built for speed and not strength, Cessair knew she would do better to save her energy and not attempt to fight the coyote.  Instead, she nipped at its rear and heard with satisfaction its calling turn to screeching.  Confidant that this nuisance would bother them no more, Cessair circled back toward the prize and sought her next target.

Inactive No Rank
Raela Lieris Asurn

The exhilaration of running beside another was coursing through the subordinate's limbs as they shot forward. As expected, Cessair's posturing reflected her own almost instinctively. The air whipped into her face, raking its fingers through her nearly-shed pelt as her blunt claws ripped up the soil. If they looked like they were serious, the coyotes would take them as such. Raela's tail danced out behind her, waving aggressively above the grass. Their war display worked like magic; scattering the little rats as soon as they were noticed. The russet girl had already chosen a target when she noticed her superior peeling off after one of the other yowling nuisances. Her golden eyes landed squarely on the slowest of the group; hardening like metal as she threw an extra dose of energy to her back limbs. 

Sensing its impending doom, the little canine began howling with terror, each note rising in pitch as the wolf pounded closer and closer behind her. A vicious roaring growl tore through Rae's chest,  meant more as intimidation than anything else. In this moment the huntress decided that the animal's tail made as good a target as any; wiggling about in her face like that. She latched her jaws around the fuzzy extremity with force; shaking violently as her prey's cries turned to panicked shrieks. Their galloping slowed to a lope as Rae tossed her head back and forth. Once the scavenger so much as turned to face its attacker, Raela released her grip and the coyote took off. That oughtta put the fear of death into 'em, she thought as she stood there panting. The woman paused to gather her breath, gazing on as her shaken rival vanished into the grass. Rae was no killer; she wouldn't think of murdering the critters unless they blatantly asked for it.

She turned in time to catch the sight of Cessair charging the final target. The paler girl was far enough out that the last one was much closer to her than Rae. Cessair could handle a lone coyote. With a huff of air to shake off the fatigue, the girl started back for the carcass. The noisy crows were now piling in on the remaining meat. The mere sight bristled the woman's hackles yet again. She faced the pesky birds with another fearsome charge, snapping at feathers and tails as the little vultures indignantly took flight. She waited beside the animal for Cessair's return; preoccupied with keeping the crows off of the kill until the Crest's female second could have a chance to eat. It would be unjust, after all, for Raela to dig in without her; not to mention rude.

Manipulation © Jenandra