(See All?) Announcements
649 Users Online
Google, Bing

hey soul sister — Kingsfall 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Shadow who has 410 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Serach Donata
Primarily for @Kisla, but other HR wolves (especially Orren, Karina, and Aleksei) are welcome as well. Please note that I'm still on absence, so this probably won't be a quick moving thread.
Sunny, mid-afternoon

It had been nearly five months since Serach had last seen his sibling. The winter winds had blown hard and when they had finally died down and the snow had settled on the ground several feet deep, @Sceral had been nowhere to be found. It had put the older of the two littermates into a dark mood, and just as he had done in the months following his mother's death, the cream furred boy had grown aloof and quiet. He still lurked about Oak Tree Bend, going where needed and helping his family, but his close connections within the pack itself were deteriorating quickly. His trip to visit @Hypatia in Silent Moon Plateau had been fruitless - she had not seen him and her packmates had only reaffirmed that there was little love between the neighboring packs. He had stopped searching for a little while after that, but the warm heat of summer had made the subordinate antsy, and so he had once again taken leave and headed out to search for his lost sibling. This time, he headed north.

It was the furthest the boy had ever traveled north of his pack's territory. For the majority of his life, Magnolia Glen had staked their claim in the woods, preventing further passage. Even now, and even though the Glen wolves had relocated to the mountains, Serach was careful to stick to the edges of what had once been their territory as he trekked further north. It took more than a day before the budding red leaves of Red Fern Forest gave way to a greener variety. His loping gait was easy and unhurried; after all, he really had no particular destination in mind. So as the hours passed by, the boy would periodically stop and rest, dozing in the summer sun and drinking from the quiet streams he passed, all the while keeping an eye out for the signs of other wolves.

The sun was high in the sky on his second day of traveling when Serach picked up the familiar scent of wolf. Wolves, he corrected himself, sticking his nose into the dirt and grass at the base of a particularly tall tree. Several of them, with similar scents. A pack, perhaps? he wondered, lazily following the scent trail for a few more feet. The scent wasn't strong enough or well marked enough to be a pack's borders, but there was no denying that a pack of wolves had traveled through here recently. Tilting his head back, Serach's lips parted and he howled, his tenor voice low and quiet. Just enough that if somebody were listening, they would be alerted to his presence but not earnest enough to make anybody come running for him. He was just passing through really, and if he was about to stumble upon a pack's territory, he wanted them to know he was there before he accidentally snuck up on them.

Howl finished, he set off once more, his pace slower but more direct as he followed the scents of the wolf pack.

(This post was last modified: May 28, 2015, 06:10 PM by Serach.)
Played by Rachel who has 462 posts.
Inactive Deceased
Kisla Baranski

Maksim was taking care of their newest duo so that she might stretch her legs. They had recently fed, and without needing to be the primary milk factory for at least a half hour, if not a little longer, the tawny woman was intent upon exploration of their new home. Her paws danced freely upon the soils of their to-be home, and her first stop outside of the den was at the more shallow edges of the river. She satiated her thirst, though did not delve too far in to the depths of the water – doing so would only flutter her heart nervously, given the time she had nearly drowned in Swift River.

It was when she pulled away, her paws slick with the river’s water that a howl resounded through the air – one that was achingly familiar, and yet so very uncertain. She had not seen Serach for over a year now – and could only assume that the howl was not of her beloved little brother, but of another who sounded perhaps similar to him.

She might not have been keen to round about the borders, but she threw this hesitance aside in order to maintain their establishing borders. Her creamy paws were swift, and Kisla Baranski was soon moving in the direction of the caller, her bright eyes scanning the forest before her.

It took her longer than expected – but a pale form came to view. Her breath hitched in her chest, and while her initial desire was to reprimand the wolf for being so close to their almost-borders, she instead found she could barely speak. Slowing, her figure pulling up to his side, the honeyed she-wolf tilted her muzzle, waiting for him to look at her – he had grown so much. “Serach?”

sparking up my heart

Played by Staff who has 4,812 posts.
A lynx has left behind the remains of a deer. +5 Health
Inactive No Rank
Serach Donata
The shade from the leafy canopy above cast a nice shadow over the forest floor below. Serach was thankful for the reprieve from the sunlight's harsh uncomfortably warm rays. Coming to a standstill, the young wolf sniffed gingerly at the base of a tree. There was something familiar to the scent trail he was following, but no matter how much he tried to analyze it, he couldn't figure it out. The scent had grown stronger with every step he had taken, teasing his memory's inability to place it. A befuddled expression upon his face, he stepped away from the tree trunk and back into the sunlight. He moved slowly, his nose inches from the ground as he tried to sort through the array of smells. Even though he could not identify the scent that nagged at him, he quick to identify that this was a large pack, with both old and young members alike. The fur along his spine lifted just a bit - he would need to be careful to follow this trail too close. If it was an established group, no doubt there were newborns among them or expected to be soon, and the last thing he wanted was to invite unwanted wrath.

The parent that came to greet him, however, would do him no harm. His head lowered to the ground and his mind preoccupied, Serach didn't notice Kisla until she was quite close. Alerted to the sound of her footsteps, he lifted his head, his body drawing downwards and away, as if he was ready to run. But the wolf who approached was no stranger, and as recognition dawned on the boy's face, his body relaxed and his tail began to wag. "Kisla!" he yipped, the grin on his face echoing the excitement in his voice. Closing the distance between them, the subordinate nuzzled his sister's neck. His brain made the connection faster than he could respond to it, but breathing in his sister's scent, he knew that it had been her scent that had caught his attention. "What are you doing here? You're going the wrong way if you want to visit!" he pulled back and looked at her, his happy grin solidly planted on his face.
(This post was last modified: Jun 10, 2015, 06:29 PM by Serach.)
[Image: AplcUOC.png]
Inactive Deceased
Kisla Baranski

Serach, Serach, Serach! her heart soared, and the honeyed female felt a tremor course along her body at the sight of her pale furred brother. He was so different from the rest of them -- a homage to Ice, and she recalled the ivory wolf who very well could have held the key to her heart at one point.. until, that was, he fathered a litter of pups with her mother. It took her brother's embrace to pull her from her sudden surprise, and the moment his muzzle nestled in to the nape of her fur, she felt her eyes squeeze shut, her own muzzle curling around to wrap him tenderly in to an embrace as best a wolf could.

"Serach," she repeated, feeling dazed as she pulled back now. His question barely registered for a moment -- her confusion etched upon her slender features before she gave a swing of her head, realizing what he spoke of. "We are claiming this land as our home," she offered, her tail sweeping behind her in a content. Had it been any other wolf, she might have taken on the challenge to chase them from her almost-claimed home -- but Serach had never been able to bring anything from her but patience and love. "The Lyalls have returned for their old lands in Cedarwood Forest -- their youngest, Rook, deceitfully lived within our pack until he snuck away to lay claim to Grizzly Hollow.. after coaxing a few of Willow Ridge's members with it and pissing them off." She snorted then, a frown crossing her brows. "And another pack, Whisper Caverns, we held quite a bit of tension with..  Cut Rock River was no longer a suitable home, so we traveled here." It was as simple as she could state it -- but she knew her uncle would be interested to know of her whereabouts. "How is everyone? Uncle Triell? Sceral? Ruiko? Jessie?"

sparking up my heart

Inactive No Rank
Serach Donata
Don't mind Serach! He's got lots of thoughts.

There had always been a special place in Serach's heart for Kisla. She was the only sister the boy had ever known, and had been one of his constant guardians and companions when he had been a pup. Their difference in age had never seemed to matter, and as she returned his embrace, it felt like time had not mattered at all either. Every tragedy and sorrow that the young wolf felt melted away in that moment at the physical reminder that he was not alone in this world, no matter how many days he spent yearning for the return of his family.

Kisla pulled back, and Serach fought the urge to cling to her anyway. But the distance let him look his sister in the face, right into her familiar green eyes that reminded him so much of their mother. Even the look of puzzlement on her face reminded him of Corinna, and while his heart ached at the familiar void his mother's death had left, it could not negate the joy he felt at being reunited with his sibling. When she spoke, she spoke with confidence, causing Serach's heart to swell with pride. He had been heartbroken when Kisla had returned home to Oak Tree Bend after her winter absence, only to tell them that she was returning across the mountains with her new mate. But he could see now in the tawny woman's posture and voice that she had thrived as a leader and he was incredibly proud.

She told him the story of how she and Cut Rock River had come to be located on the eastern side of the mountains, and Serach found himself thankful that Oak Tree Bend was as isolated as it was. He knew those other packs existed, had heard of them from his pack mates, but he could not imagine being threatened enough to feel like he had to leave the Bend. Even in their darkest of times, the Bend wolves had remained firm in their claim over their territory, and he hoped that never changed. "I can't even imagine," he told her honestly, flashing her a sheepish grin. "But I hope that you have a safe home here. I'll run @Rook Lyall straight back over the mountains if he bothers you here, and those Cavern wolves too." His tail lashed out behind him, and the smile faded from his face a little as Serach met her gaze. He wanted her to know that he was serious. Now that fate had brought his sister closer to him, he would do everything in his power to stop her from leaving again.

Of course, she had her questions too, and as much as he tried to maintain it, the smile slipped from his face. Turning his gaze to the side, he looked back over her shoulder wondering where he should begin. "A lot has happened..." he began, refocusing his gaze back on his sister. Better to start with the bad news first, he decided. "Uncle Ruiko passed away, last summer. He heard that some of his children had returned to Relic Lore, and crossing the mountains he was attacked by a lynx. I don't think he ever got to meet Triell's pups, Darrah and Zera. They're yearlings now, and I expect they'll be getting new siblings any day now since Triell's mate Nayeli is pregnant again. Jessie is doing alright - she's paired up with Hotei, which I suppose makes her family now, sort of." A half smile graced his lips as he looked at her; Kisla was Tainn by blood, while his only familial connection to the large family was through Triell and Ruiko's close connection to his mother. "As for Sceral....well...honestly Kisla, that's why I'm here." He took a deep breath to steady himself, exhaling slowly as he explained. "Things have been hard, and I don't know what happened, but Sceral left. Sometime in winter. He didn't tell me, he didn't tell anybody either where he was going. I've been going out and trying to look for him, but nobody's seen or heard from him since he left. I came this far north hoping that maybe I would find him." But it was clear that the newly relocated Cut Rock River wolves had not come across Serach's creme-furred sibling - that would have been the first thing Kisla would have told him. "I miss him, Kisla. I miss you. I miss everyone. The Bend...it just isn't the same." His ears flattened against his head and his tail curled underneath his belly. Unable to resist, he stepped towards her again, slipping his head beneath her chin as he once did as a pup.

(This post was last modified: Jun 19, 2015, 03:48 AM by Serach.)
Inactive Deceased
Kisla Baranski

It was relieving to know her brother had missed her just as much as she did him – the glowing look he gave her revealed as such, and her eyes regarded him quietly, practically beaming at the wolf he had become. So much she wanted to ask him to stay – to be with her, here, and get to know his nephews and nieces.. but she did not believe he was ready for it – nor did she think Triell would approve of her doing so.

His threat to Rook drew a smile to her lips – and as tempting as it was to request the wolves of the Bend to aide them against their rivals, she knew she could never put her family in such danger. “I don’t want to put you guys in any danger,” she murmured then, not even sure who ‘you guys’ was anymore – who was still at Oak Tree Bend?

Her brother would inform her before she could even ask. Listening attentively, her muzzle cocked to the side at the news he delivered – Ruiko had passed away, Triell had a litter of pups and another litter on the way and Jessie was still reliably there now. Her heart ached to see them all – but she could not. Her own pups were at such a tender age, she could never leave them.. perhaps, in a few months, she would gather Aleksei, Orren and Karina and they would sweep down south for a quick visit to their relatives – she desperately wanted Triell to meet them.

But the next news he gave was not quite what she expected, and a small frown pulled at her features. Sceral was gone now too – leaving behind Kisla and Serach as the only two pups Corinna had birthed out of eight within Relic Lore. “Do you think he left on his own accord..?” She gave her muzzle a shake, her chest tightening at the thought of her little brother, lost and hurt in the world.. or worse. Pressing her muzzle to his cheek, she inhaled sharply, feeling his grief. “Serach. If you ever need a break.. or a fresh start.. Hearthwood River will always have its arms open to you.”

sparking up my heart

Inactive No Rank
Serach Donata
I suck. <3

His head tucked protectively under Kisla's chin, the boy breathed in deeply. His nostrils flared at the scent that was distinctly Kisla. It was woody and earthy and reminded him so much of their mother. In the back of his mind he recognized the scent of milk and birth and life. It was a reminder that although she was not with the Bend any longer, Kisla was not without family. "I don't know," he admitted truthfully to her question about Sceral. He had seen no signs of a struggle, and so it seemed likely that their brother had simply decided it was too much and that life would be better elsewhere. Perhaps that was a decision he would need to make too, he realized as he pulled away from Kisla's chest to step back and look her in the face again. He had never really considered leaving Oak Tree Bend, as much as he felt isolated and lonely there, because it was the only home that he knew. But with Sceral gone and the rest of the pack moving on with their lives...Kisla was the only family he truly felt connected to now.

"Do you really mean that?" he asked her, his voice hopeful. He knew nothing about Hearthwood River, other than that it was Kisla's home and family now. "Tell me about them. Your pack mates. And...uh....Maksim was it?" his face narrowed into a scowl as he tried to remember what the name of the big burly male had been. They had met once, when Kisla had made the return home to the Bend to tell them she had survived the winter. Breathing in again, the distinct smell of milk taunted his senses, his brain slowly making the connection. Eyes widening, he glanced to his sister's stomach where the evidence was clear to see - she had been nursing recently. His tail beginning to wag furiously behind him, his grin grew as he asked her to confirm his suspicions, "Do I have nephews and nieces?"
(This post was last modified: Aug 13, 2015, 07:58 PM by Serach.)
Inactive Deceased
Kisla Baranski

Her heart fluttered uncomfortably in her chest at the thought of Sceral missing. She had not been as close to the youthful male like she had been with Serach, but he was her blood, and she had looked after and loved him just the same. Out of eight children, it would seem the only two left in Relic Lore now were herself and Serach – the thought was more than disheartening. “I’m sure he’s fine, Serach,” she murmured then, releasing a gentle sigh. “I can’t speak for Ice’s family.. but the Tainn’s seem to have a strike of wanderlust in their blood.” Hopefully, the silver youth had simply struck out on his own for a quick journey.. and would soon find his way home to them.

The conversation drifted then – this time, the pale wolf seemed rather intrigued at the idea of a home with her, and the thought warmed her. What she would give to have her younger brother by her side!

“Maksim, yes – he is my mate. He is a good man – a gentle soul, and a strong leader,” she mused quietly, feeling that familiar brush of butterflies in her stomach when she even spoke of him. Two litters later, and the two were still very much in love. “Aleksei, Orren and Karina are our first litter. Aleksei is level-headed, much like his father. Orren is rambunctious, and adventurous. Karina, she is quieter than both her brothers, and the gentlest. She strives to be a medic.” She paused then, offering a small smile to her brother. “And our newest are two little girls -- Inna and Lekalta. You are now Uncle to five.”

Of course, their family was more than just the children of Maksim and Kisla, and with fondness, she continued to speak of the Hearthwood River wolves. “And my pack mates – they are truly family. Lachesis and Naia are our seconds. Lachesis is a very talented medic, while Naia is our lead scout. Bastet is our next scout, and she is often traveling. We also have Karpos and Jynx, both of whom are around your age – and both are eager participants in all of our activities.” She finished, her tone almost wistful. Yes, they were a tight group – and Serach would have felt at home here, if he chose such a path.

sparking up my heart

Inactive No Rank
Serach Donata
He's got a lot of thoughts.

She was a genuinely good soul - that much nobody could deny. Serach could see the concern on his sister's face as he answered that he truthfully had no idea where the youngest of the Donata siblings had gone. But she was quick to offer comfort, and the boy's heart swelled with love for Kisla. In only a few minutes, she had managed to muster more concern for the missing Sceral than most of Oak Tree Bend had been able to come up with in months. He mutely nodded his head in agreement and offered her a small smile. She was surely right. Sceral was fine and had simply taken advantage of the pack's distraction over Nayeli to set off on his own adventure.

He was further warmed as Kisla answered his question, about her new family that had traveled across Serpent's Pass to this place. His smile grew at every name, and by the end his tail was wagging furiously behind him. One name in particular caught his attention, causing his ears to perk up and his eyes to light up. "Karina?" he questioned. "For mother?" There would always be a hole in the boy's chest where his mother used to be, but the familiarity of his niece's name was a pleasant reminder of the woman who had brought him into the world. Even if it was unintentional on Kisla's part, it made him happy to know that he was not the only one who still remembered.

It was just another reminder of the bonds of family, something that Serach had been lacking so much lately in the Bend. He wanted to meet all of his nieces and nephews. The older three, Aleksei, Orren, and Karina, would be agemates with Darrah and Zera, but Serach was barely beyond his yearling status himself and certainly did not consider himself to be an adult like Kisla was. Perhaps they could be friends. Her other packmates sounded wonderful too, and the boy felt relief. He had known, to some extent, where Kisla had been, but it was a whole different thing to know that she was safe and sound and happy. That's what mattered the most and he told her so, "They're lucky to be so close to you. You're just so loved - I can tell." They had lost that feeling in the Bend. It made his heart ache to think of it, to think of what their pack dynamic was supposed to be. Perhaps Kisla was right in suggesting to him to leave the Bend himself and come to Hearthwood River. But there was guilt there too, and that wasn't something the boy knew how to cope with. "I want to meet them all. My nieces and nephews, and all of your friends. But the Bend is all I've ever known. I wouldn't even know how to leave...I guess I don't have that Tainn wanderlust spirit."