(See All?) Announcements
524 Users Online
Google, Hazelnut, Bing

to rivet and rook — Grizzly Hollow 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Grey who has 444 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Rook Lyall
For @Ryvet. Reply whenever you're able also; this might've started out as a "rank challenge," but I figured it would be best to have the brothers talk first. Rook merely has a few questions to ask...

ROOK (verb): to take money from (someone) by cheating, defrauding, or overcharging them. (noun) The last-born of Borden and Jaysyek's cubs and third in the line of succession of Grizzly Hollow.

RIVET (verb): to hold (someone or something) fast so as to make them incapable of movement. (noun) The fifth-born of Borden and Jaysyek's cubs and second in the line of succession of Grizzly Hollow.

June 27th; Evening, After Sunset; Patchy rain nearby; 72 ° F, 22 ° C

The scattered summer rain showers that came and went across Relic Lore was a welcome relief; and, for Rook it provided a sense of solace in the fact that he believed the rain was a means to wash everything away. All the worry, trouble, anguish, sadness, regret, and sin... If only it was capable of truly healing all of these maladies instead of temporarily ridding the lands of it then perhaps everything would have been better. As it stood, the young Lyall was meandering about within the pack's borders when he allowed himself to consider what he had been putting off for so long, stressing and fretting and feeling as though he had been lit ablaze from a lightning strike.

If Borden never truly recovered from his condition, could the pack, their family, thrive without him? Was he capable of taking his father's place? But, then, what of Ryvet? Of Renier if the eldest Lyall boy ever decided to return? Bishop was not here to provide the answers he so longed to hear and, instead, he drew up his own solutions, all of which pointed to him and anything he ought to set right... starting with Ryvet. If Rook wanted to hold influence, he supposed it was just about time to show that he could prove himself as a capable Baron as his father, his uncle Angier, and his grandfathers before him.

Striking out from the old bear den along the southern part of the territory, he began to search through the tall trees for a trace of white fur or that distinct musk which was laced with cool evergreen and all kinds of earthy notes. He had run for nearly a mile and a half before he came to a stop right in front of the main pack den. His two-toned scanned the area before ultimately deciding that it would be better if he didn't holler out for his brother. He didn't want to call any sort of attention to anyone who might be within earshot.

He began to stroll through the trees once more, searching everywhere he could see. Every so often, when he thought he might be close, Rook let loose a soft, beckoning bark, "Ryvet? Ryvet?"

Played by becuffin who has 62 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Ryvet Borden Lyall
@Rook sorry this took forever. <3

There were days when he questioned whether he should have returned at all. All noble thoughts of recovering his sister and brother and returning them to their parents side at the Reach, or striking out and forging his own future with Adonis at his side had all but been abandoned in the winter before the last, when he had found himself starving and freezing. Lost and alone. Family was all that mattered, or so he had thought but a chance encounter with a ghost from his parents past had shifted his entire perspective. There was more to life than servitude. Sometimes it was okay to have a bit of fun. And fun was what he had been lacking since his return to these lands. Maybe it had all been sapped away with the sickness that sent them all running to the Reach in the first place?

He had only assumed that being the oldest was what held him above his younger sibling. His behaviour prior had proven he was already intent on challenging the fragile hold Ryvet had on the claim, further backed up by the child that no doubt lay nestled safely close to Quil’s side. So instead of embroiling himself in the politics of it all he had chosen instead to keep busy checking caches and filling them where he could, much as he had seen his uncle Angier do time and time again. After all the pack couldn’t very well imagine food into existence.

He was in the middle of burying a fat hare when his brothers voice came to his ears softly. Mud had run up his pale legs and chest, his face was a fearsome blend of blood and mud, not unlike all those times he had tried to make himself appear more like Renier and Taima. A muffled bark was offered in response as he finished digging his hole. Rook was already looking for him, he could come the rest of the way on his own yet. He still had all four limbs and a functional mind after all.

Inactive No Rank
Rook Lyall
Not a problem at all. c:

Something that sounded like an amiable bark came, muffled as though the younger Lyall had disturbed him while in the middle of something. In the past, Rook might have fretted over such a thing, being too meek and too compliant in his rank and youthfulness to intrude or impose. Since establishing Grizzly Hollow, though it had taken some time to fully manifest itself at the forefront of his mind, Rook finally found the ground beneath his feet. All his life he had only ever thought of serving his sister Trisden (or even Aiyana if she so wished it or managed to wrangle the Reach's throne for her own) and, now, look just how far he had come. He was the "littlest Lyall" no more. A younger brother and subordinate, perhaps, but he was not going to settle to be someone's Advisor or cache-counter or Hunter. Borden and Jaysyek's youngest son and cub was a typical, too noble sort of breed and he had not come all this way for nothing.

Muddied paws swept across the forest floor until his brother's burly figure came into view after something that was like a few leaps, a bound, and a simple turn around a tree. His tail wagged and, while he had a mind to see for himself that he actually hadn't disturbed Ryvet at all (the mound of disturbed earth at his feet seemed to be identified as a freshly-concealed cache of rabbit), he decided to skip over the formalities of wanting to help or ask if he could be of any assistance. All of that was now specifically saved for his parents, Quil, Tomen and, on occasion, Veho (whom he had hoped would begin teaching him more about medicinal plants and how to become more observant of specific greenery).

"I just had something to ask," he started, his voice picking up with its usual, soft alto-pitched timbre, "about the future, our futures, in all of this and what could soon come to pass. I just kind of... want to be prepared... with Dad and all." His ears folded back for a brief moment as he averted his gaze at the thought of their father. He was certain Ryvet knew better than him, being a whole year older and wiser, that it was only by their good luck alone that Borden's health had become stable for the time being. How long that would last, however, it was probably only certain that it wouldn't remain for long. He lifted his gaze to hold Ryvet's own mismatched eyes, "I guess I want to know what you want and what you expected to happen... I... I've always known that it would all come to this. The father I grew up with isn't the one you and Trisden had. I've had to take care of him far more than he's had to take care of me."

"Bishop and I, we... we knew this would happen." Rook shook his head as if he had to rid himself of some worrisome thought. It did little to shake the grimace on his face. "Family tradition states that the first-born or oldest son always inherited. Being the last-born, I never thought it would be me and had never even wanted such a thing until now. This was all I wanted of this place, to take care of him and give back what he gave us." So that maybe he could remember us...

When Hocus never found his way back, Renier left to find his own path, and Ryvet had gone missing for a time, everything until Rook's departure had all been set in place for him. Trisden and Aiyana, he had always thought, were meant to find their own calling and/or take up a mate and establish their own lives. Being the only son within Renegades Reach made him it and he had given it all up to leave for Relic Lore and what possibilities it had offered him in his bedtime stories.

"This will be the last favor I will ask of you, Ryvet," his eyes were glossed over in the way that suggested just how terribly he wanted this all to work out. "Let me do this for Mom and Dad. If you don't want the responsibility, then I will gladly take it from you, free you of it. You won't have to share my burden; I, alone, will shoulder it. I know I can... I always-" he faltered a bit, choked up on the loss of the majority of his happy, fancy-free childhood, "I always have. It's nothing new."

He straightened up a little, his eyes still pleading for his sibling's consent, Whatever you ask in return, I will wholeheartedly give it to you."

Chances are I have a BEN WHISHAW gif for that.
Played by becuffin who has 62 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Ryvet Borden Lyall

Finally. The ghost of a man kept his face stoic and contained the sigh of relief that wished to escape from his chest. His younger brother liked to think himself more clever than most and surely there was more to the proposition that at first it may appear. With his prize safely stored away, he shook out his coat and bought himself to a seated position, a small nod the only acknowledgement of yet another missing sister. What was it with the females in this family? His brows did descend at the mention of tradition however, an uncomfortable squeeze about his ribcage that came about whenever he thought of the when clearly no longer an if. He didn’t care to dwell on the prospect more than he had to.

It was hardly a favour, his derisive snort and the pull of his lips into a smirk made that clear. “It’s yours.” he said without a second thought, but the hook - there it was, and his next smile was nowhere near as pleasant as his brother may have hoped. Titan’s little scuffle had no doubt worked wonders to undo any good will his small gifts and peace offerings may have bought about and the last wolf he wanted on their bad side was @“Elettra” Archer. For their mothers sake if no other. “Make things right with the Willow wolves.” His tone carried clearly that this was not a light request. “Fix things for mother’s sake.” he held his brothers gaze a moment longer, hoping the tension in his shoulders and the stoniness of his face was enough to make his message clear.

You won’t like the way I will fix it for you if you don’t.

Inactive No Rank
Rook Lyall

In so many words, Ryvet agreed and it was all Rook had wanted to hear apart from the terms his brother provided. To such a request involving another wrong that had to be made right, he had only one answer: "Of course." For Cinder he would do what he could for Maksim and the Cut Rock River wolves and for Quil, Ryvet and Jaysyek, he would do the same for Willow Ridge. He had come to them for peace and alliance; they had offered nothing but Rook's twisted words and declarations of betrayal. Had he been anything but a crusader at heart, he would have denied it all.

Rook gave a solemn nod in return to confirm and validate his answer. "For mother," he murmured. That was it. If he failed, he would never live it down in his own mind. On the contrary, if they all so wanted Rook and his part of the family out of their lives then so be it. Perhaps then it would give light to the meaning of his upbringing - being the Lord of Renegades Reach - and follow in his father's footsteps as a Renegade in his own right.

He would do what he could - even in the light of the events to come with @Piety Santoro's arrival...

"Is there anything else?" he asked, searching his brother's face for any hint of disappointment or doubt. The day's last light was coming upon them fast but there was no need to rush. The younger Lyall simply wanted to be sure that his brother was absolutely confident in this power shift between them.

Chances are I have a BEN WHISHAW gif for that.