699 Users Online
Google, Bing, Lillia, Sophrosnia

Belive me I'm trying — Nightingale Palisade 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Alice who has 1,273 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn
For @Emrys , sorry for the delay

Once again, Askan found himself inching down a snow covered hill. Each foot was placed with the upmost care, as the last thing he wanted was to do was tumble to his doom down the side of this goddamn ravine. Sure, the snow might cover his fall a little, but snow or not a fall from this height would hurt. A lot. Why was he even here anyway? Didn't he have better things to do than to skid down this hill like an otter in deep snow? Of course he did. He'd much rather be at home, tending to his duties at the Field, but something was worrying him. He had to deal with the issue now, otherwise it would bother him to no end.

After several more moments of tedious skidding and sliding, Askan's feet hit flat ground and he huffed a sigh of relief. He was still in one piece, all four legs were intact, thank the Gods. Shaking himself off, Askan glanced about. Nightingale Palisade. He'd been there a few times before, but he'd never come there with a purpose in mind, a goal he wanted to achieve. And what was that goal? To help better Wild Rye Field's relations with White Fir Notch of course! Why else would he venture out in this goddamn snow? If he wanted to go for a leisurely walk, he'd have gone somewhere with flat terrain. Maybe somewhere with not a lot of snow.

But no, he was on the hunt for the Notch border. By no means did he intended to swan right in, like an unwelcome guest. That'd do nothing but ruin their chance of positive relations with the Notch wolves, even Askan knew that. He'd be polite, or as polite as he could manage, and see if they could work something out perhaps? He didn't know what- per se- but in the end he hoped his efforts to visit would shine the Rye wolves in a positive light. They had to be good neighbours if they wanted to live in peace, that was something Askan had come to realise after a while of thought.

"Right, come on Askan you can do this. Just let the Notch wolves know we're not here to cause trouble. Simple." He mumbled to himself, an uneasy frown on his face. Like it would be so easy. As though he could be so civil.

(This post was last modified: Dec 26, 2016, 07:57 PM by Askan.)
[Image: kana_pixel_by_marthypie-dcn3i8m.gif]
[Image: se_sig_by_becuffin-dbuushz.png]
Played by Kai who has 482 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Emrys Myrddin
No worries you weren't late at all.

His hunt for prey for the pack had led him to travel farther from pack lands which had become more dangerous recently. It was also something he was not accustomed to since he had not been in this area much the previous winter. He had found out the hard way just how dangerous the terrain had become when his foot slipped and he almost slid down the hill. It was with a lot of luck that he was able to regain his footing. After that he was even more cautious about where he place his feet and tested any area he wasn't sure about before placing his foot there. He couldn't let something happen to him when he needed to be there for his pack.

Last winter he hadn't had to worry about a pack, it was just him in the wintery wilds but now he spent the majority of his time worrying about them. It was funny to him now that he had worried so much about growing accustomed to pack life when he had just fell into it without a problem. That was probably the biggest sign to him that he had been ready to join a pack when he made the decision.

Reaching solid footing he took the moment to shake out his pelt and the anxiety at having to cross the snow covered hills before continuing on. Taking a deep breath he tested the next step before placing his paw, it was slow going but necessary. What was disappointing though was the fact that he had traveled so far and still was unable to find anything for his pack. He didn't want to return home without something but he feared that might be the case. Though it might have been foolish to travel this terrain in search of prey, with it being so treacherous they would probably be looking for safer places.

Still he traveled on until he caught a scent on the wind, one that didn't seem familiar to him. Emrys sniffed the air a few more times to decipher where the scent was coming from. Then his ears perked as he thought he heard a voice carried on the wind as well. “Hello, is someone out there,” he called, “Or am I going bonkers?” He added under his breath.

(This post was last modified: Dec 26, 2016, 10:44 PM by Emrys.)
Please see Kajika's OOC profile for OOC preferences, thank you.
Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn

Askan had simply been muttering to himself, it wasn't his intention to catch the attention of another. But that was irrelevant it seemed, as even though he hadn't meant to, someone had overheard him. There was nothing flattering about being caught in the act of talking to himself, it was something weirdos did, or the lonely. Not Askan, he wasn't weird and he certainly wasn't lonely. He had a pack and even if he hadn't, solitude suited him well enough. He'd never fallen so far that he'd resorted to his own voice as a source of companionship. Rather than call him out though, the strangers voice merely called out for a response, as though they weren't sure whether they'd heard his voice, or were simply hearing things.

Askan frowned and glanced about, trying to find the source of the voice. They weren't so close that they had been talking conversationally, but they hadn't yelled either. Their voice had carried on the wind, but only a little. They were close, but not so close that he was in danger of walking into them. The Rye wolf mulled over his response as he trudged along, still hunting for the source of that voice.

"I'm here." Askan responded, his voice firm and steady. He continued forward and noticed a somewhat flat outcrop on the side of the hill. It was hard for him to be certain, but he thought he saw a white wolf blending into the white scenery. Hopefully they were a Notch wolf, he'd feel like a tit otherwise."I'm from Wild Rye Fields, from the Lowlands. You a Notch wolf?"

(This post was last modified: Dec 27, 2016, 05:05 PM by Askan.)
Inactive No Rank
Emrys Myrddin

Emrys wasn't really sure if it was a voice he heard or the wind playing tricks on him but the fact that it had also carried the scent of another wolf did make him feel a little better. The next thing on his mind was what if there was a wolf and they weren't the friendly type. He didn't feel he was in exactly the best place to be having it out with someone. Or perhaps it was someone that hadn't been so lucky as him and had actually fallen or gotten hurt somehow and needed his help. That thought stuck out to the healer and as much as he wanted to hurry to their location he knew he had to be careful or he would end up hurt himself. Part of him hoped that he would find the other and they would be perfectly fine since he didn't have any supplies he might need to help them.

He moved slowly and carefully in the direction he thought was the where he needed to go to find the wolf the voice belonged to. He knew it was risky but he was willing to take that risk if it meant helping someone. He just hoped that the wolf was friendly and willing to accept his help. Of course there was still the chance that he was losing his mind and there wouldn't be anyone there after all. Much to his relief someone answered him when he had called out, so he wasn't going crazy which was good, he was afraid he might have to talk with Sylva about it when he returned.

He stepped out onto a snow covered outcropping to see If he could see the owner of the voice and the figure of a dark pelted wolf came into view. Emrys wondered for a moment if the man was looking for prey as well anyway he was until the wolf asked about his pack. “As it so happens I am,” he stated, “What brings you from the Lowlands to my neck of the woods?” Though it was a little far from home it was much closer than the lowlands were.

(This post was last modified: Dec 27, 2016, 12:27 AM by Emrys.)
Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn
left what happens in the meeting a lil vague as it's still ongoing

Askan cleared his throat and gathered his thoughts. Okay, he'd found a Notch wolf-not one he recognised but that was fine. It'd probably make this easier, as they wouldn't know what he was usually like, they wouldn't know how callous he could be. But that didn't matter now, he could do this, he just had to mind what he said. He could be polite, he had to be.

"I was hoping to see if we could work on relations between our packs." Askan explained, reiterating his previous thoughts. "The last we spoke, things got... Tense."

That was putting it quite lightly, to say the least. But thinking about that too much now wouldn't do him any good.

But now that was all said and done, and Drestig had helped smoothen things out between the packs. That wasn't to say they were best of friends, because they truly weren't, but things were far better than they would have been if Askan had handled the situation alone. Even he could admit that. So this was his way of helping, of making amends. If the two of them could come to some sort of agreement then perhaps their packs would be on better terms. That was what he hoped for at least. But for that wish to come to fruition, Askan had to be nice. He had to be civil. He'd done it before, so he knew it were possible but that didn't mean he found it any less taxing.

"My name is Askan Selwyn, Wild Rye Field's second. What's yours?"

That was a good place to start, right? That was polite, civil, no one could be offended by that. From what he could tell this Notch wolf seemed the approachable, reasonable sort so surely he would accept his request. And he'd introduced himself in the proper manner, so no matter what it couldn't be said that the Yukon wolf had conducted himself inappropriately. He hadn't snapped or snarked at the Notch wolf, he was on his very best behaviour. For now, as long as he could keep this up. He wasn't going to make any promises he couldn't keep. The way he saw it though, as long as the white wolf was reasonable he'd do the same.

(This post was last modified: Dec 27, 2016, 07:06 PM by Askan.)
Played by Staff who has 4,812 posts.
A young deer has been separated from the rest of its herd. Hunt Opportunity
Inactive No Rank
Emrys Myrddin

Emrys didn't have any experience with wolves from Wild Rye Fields so he did not know what to expect from the dark man. The truth was he wasn't familiar with the pack at all but it was clear this stranger was looking for someone from White Fir Notch, the question was why? What was so important that he had traversed this dangerous terrain in search of someone from his pack. The answer came shortly after Emrys had confirmed that he was indeed a Notch wolf. The healer gave the man a nod, “I am willing to speak with you about it.” He was willing to hear what this wolf had come to say however his ears perked when it was mentioned about the last meeting becoming tense, “How do you mean tense?” Emrys didn't recall hearing about a meeting between their packs.

Despite the news of a tense meeting Emrys would hear this wolf out since he didn't know him and was curious about what he had to say. He didn't have a problem working on pack relations especially if this conversation could bring White Fir Notch another alliances. The more alliances they had the better off they would be and the closer he would be to his goal. That of course was still a long way off but this was a start that he was willing to take if this man was willing to give as it seemed he was. He was once again thankful that he'd had plenty of experience talking with strangers when he was on his own trying to help them. Ahh,they held the same position in their packs which made them equals and might make this a little easier. “Emrys Myrddin and I'm White Fir Notches second,” he introduced himself just as Askan had when he'd been asked his name.

Now that introductions were over Emrys felt it was time to get down to business which was what was on the agenda. “What might you like to discuss to get this started?” He asked thinking it was the best way to start off. Since Askan had come looking for a Notch wolf the healer thought that he should be the one to start the conversation, express what was on his mind. Clearly if he'd come this far he had to have something on his mind and Emrys wanted to know what that was.

(This post was last modified: Dec 27, 2016, 10:14 PM by Emrys.)
Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn

He was willing, good. By no means was that a firm yes, but the fact that he said that meant he was at least going to try and help Askan out. He wasn't making any promises, and Askan didn't expect him to, but this was better than he had predicted. Being the glass is half empty sort of guy, he had sort of assumed his request was going to be turned down and that the white wolf would send him packing. Askan couldn't help but let out a huff in relief. But before he could respond, the other continued, seemingly curious about his first encounter with Notch wolves.

Askan wasn't sure what to say about that. He'd been there, so he knew firsthand what had happened, but how much information was he supposed to divulge? He assumed that Gent and his mate would have told his underlings about their encounter with Wild Rye Fields, but apparently not. Maybe he had forgotten, or didn't deem it necessary. Either way, it wasn't really Askan's business what Gent did or did not tell his subordinates. Still, Askan felt as though telling the Notch wolf what happened would help his case, it would make him seem agreeable, as though he was willing to play the game by his rules. So with that in mind, Askan cleared his throat and began to explain what he'd meant by 'tense.'

"It was a few months back, Wild Rye Fields wasn't officially established yet. Gent and your lead female approached the borders, I intercepted them- as is my job. I didn't know who they were at the time, probably could have used a bit more tact, then my alpha showed up and they had a talk. Gent wanted to know what we were doing, whether we were a threat and all that. Like my alpha said, we just want to live in peace."

That was about it, he'd left out a detail or two, like how accusing and crass Gent had been, but that was neither here nor there. Besides, he doubted the Notch wolf would appreciate Askan insulting his alpha like that. If this Notch wolf did the same to Drestig, well Askan would have a thing or two to saw about that. But it was clear he didn't have to worry about that, this Notch wolf was reasonable if anything.

"Nice to meet you Emrys, and all that." Askan responded with a quick dip of his head. Wasn't he being so good? So civil. His mouth tasted like dirt, as though he was kissing Emrys' feet. How shameful, but it needed to be done. "As for what I had in mind, I was thinking of something along the lines of... Gent seemed concerned that my pack's location would cut off your access to the caribou herds in the lowlands. We don't want that. There's more than enough for everyone. I just want to see if there's anything I can do to help, ease things a little. In case any bitterness remains."

(This post was last modified: Dec 28, 2016, 03:18 PM by Askan.)
Inactive No Rank
Emrys Myrddin

When he had set out that day Emrys had not had it in his mind to be having a pack relations talk with a wolf he didn't know. That didn't really matter to him and a tense situation between this man’s pack and his own was something that could be put aside for the time being. However Emrys couldn't help satisfying his own curiosity about the situation not to mention it would hopefully give him a better idea if he should be talking with the man at all. To his knowledge White Fir Notch wasn't enemies with Wild Rye Fields so he didn't see any reason not to hear the man out. So that was what he planned to do especially if it could help his pack in the end.

The first few words out of Askan’s mouth explained why he hadn't heard about this incident, he hadn't joined the pack until afterwards. Of course he didn't know the exact dates but he had a better idea if when this happened once he realized that. Emrys didn't exactly see where things had gotten tense in the situation but he let that go. Emrys considered what Askan had told him before finally responding to what he had been told.

“My apologies but I have to ask as I want to make sure to understand what happened,” he felt it important to make sure of this especially since he had not only not been there but also wasn't in the pack. “Your alpha made it clear to mine that your pack wasn't a threat to my pack, correct? Did my alpha's seem satisfied with that?” While Emrys still wanted to hear Askan out as far as what he was suggesting he felt that after hearing the dark man speak of what had happened he needed to be clear on that point to help him know if he could even help the man.

Though he wasn't an expert at pack politics he was he felt a good listener and though this wasn't the situation of an injured wolf he felt that if his questions were answered in an affirmative then he might be able to help this man as he would an injured wolf. The next question of course was what exactly it was that this man wanted to discuss that would involve White Fir Notch and could he help. So Emrys listened to the situation that Askan was presenting and it was one that could be helpful to his pack. He of course didn't answer the dark male right away as he considered a way that this could be solved so both parties would be happy and feel safe as well.

“I must apologize to you again Askan as I have not had the chance to get down to your neck of the woods as of late so I'm not exactly sure of the area which your pack occupies. If you could help me how far out of the way would it be for the wolves from my pack to get to the lowlands to hunt the caribou? I'm thinking that if it's too far out of the way perhaps a path could be settled on through your territory? Of course details of how the path was used could even be worked out if that is something that might be considered.” Since they were here to talk things out it was his first suggestion and he thought he would see how Askan took it.

(This post was last modified: Dec 28, 2016, 08:08 PM by Emrys.)
Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn

Askan didn't really want to go through it again. Wasn't once enough? At least, Emrys was sorry about it, and Askan supposed he wasn't entirely to blame. He simply wanted to fully understand the situation between their packs before he made any promises. He wanted to approach the situation with all the relevant information at hand. Askan could respect that, even if it was a little frustrating. Resisting the urge to sigh, Askan nodded, accepting his fate with as much grace as he could muster.

"Nah, don't worry about it. I get it." Askan dismissed his apology with a shrug.

This was tedious, for sure, but like he said he understood where the Notch wolf was coming from. If they were going to try and straighten things out then they both had to be on the same page. Otherwise, was the point of even trying? If they weren't equals in this then neither of them would truly have anything to gain.

"I can't remember their exact wording, cause it was a while back. But I know for sure my alpha made it clear that we weren't, nor would we ever be a threat to your pack. It's not in our interests you know? Not to sound rude or nothing, but with winter here we've got better things to do with our time and energy. And even if it wasn't, from the start my alphas have always made a point that they want to live in peace. And from what I could tell, your alpha seemed to accept it. Was a little pissed whe'd settled so close, but was willing to take my alpha's word on it. And since we've been here we've done nothing to make trouble with you lot. In fact, you know my alpha's kid is friends with one of Gent's kids. Ryker, I've met him myself. If we really wanted to make trouble you'd know about it by now."

Askan wasn't used to talking for such a prolonged amount of time. But in doing so, he hoped he'd gotten his message across. They were not a threat and unless things went sour between their packs they wouldn't ever be.