383 Users Online
Google, Bing, Oleander, Apollo

I don't bite, kinda — Kingsfall 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Alice who has 1,273 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn
for @Inna backdated to the 9th. Other HR woofs can join if they feel like it :D

Askan knew that the Rye wolves were not allowed to go north and he agreed with that decision. It was too dangerous, the Whitestone wolves were not to be trusted, every single one he had met was a menace and or a bully, a threat to his packs peaceful way of life. But could the same be said about the wolves of the river? Askan had only met one Hearthwood River wolf during his time in Relic Lore and from what he could recall that encounter had gone pretty well. Or at least as well as one could expect with Askan's temperament. @Aleksei had been an alright sort of guy, a downer for sure but other than that Askan had no problems with him.

In fact, Askan didn't mind him to the extent where he wasn't totally against the idea of seeing him again. But really, despite the truth in that statement, Askan hadn't left the field on a social call. Things were tense with the Whitestone wolves, so if something did happen the Rye wolves would need allies on their side to back them up. Once again, Askan was going out of his way in the service for his alphas and yet again was he happy-or as happy as he could be- to do it.

These woods were foreign to Askan, the sequoia trees seemed too tall and his nose was bombard with a myriad of unfamiliar scents. He'd never been this far east before, so that was to be expected but even so he couldn't help but feel as though he had to tread with care here. Not because he was scared or that he thought he was in peril, but what it- Askan sighed and shook that line of thought out of his head, he'd been travelling for a while so it was no surprise that his mind began to wander but really, had he sunk so low? Was he going to start doubting himself now? How stupid. With a determined huff, Askan continued to weave through the tall trees. He had to be getting closer to their border by now, Drestig had said their pack lands were around here somewhere, so why couldn't he...

It was then he saw the wolf, a dark figure moving between the trees with practiced and familiar ease. They had to be a river wolf, if he'd ever seen one.

"Hey!" Askan called out, his voice bouncing off the trees."Come here, I want to talk!"

(This post was last modified: Jan 29, 2017, 03:16 PM by Askan.)
[Image: kana_pixel_by_marthypie-dcn3i8m.gif]
[Image: se_sig_by_becuffin-dbuushz.png]
Played by Kai who has 786 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Inna Baranski

Now that she was a yearling Inna needed to get started acquiring her role as scout which Lachesis had agreed she could do. It was portent for her to have the role in the pack as she thought her father would be proud of her. With all the things that had taken place since the conversation with the healer she hadn't been very productive. Her father's death so soon after she had returned, she still wasn't over it but she was better. Losing someone so important was something that she wasn't sure she would ever be able to move past completely. Her need to make him proud of her though drove her to be the best version of herself.

Then there was Aleksei, his return was something that she never could have dreamed would happen. Now that she had the chance to get to know him she didn't want to be angry with him for not being there. She wanted to embrace the chance she had been given to get to know him. He was in a bad place and even though she didn't fully understand what was going on inside of him she wanted to help him. That morning like every morning she had checked on him to make sure he was doing okay, she worried about him constantly. It didn't bother her though, she was glad to have him back in her life and she wanted to keep him in her life.

After checking on her brother Inna had gone to the river for a drink before heading for the border but patrolling wasn't the only thing she had in mind. Being a scout meant she would have to travel and to make sure she could travel the distances she needed to she needed to be in shape. Traveling the borders a couple of times a day was the best way to get herself into traveling shape, she thought. Having been on her own the previous winter and doing a lot of traveling during that time she knew how hard it could be traveling the distances. Moving along the path that had been made from others and herself patrolling she kept a quick pace. If she could keep it up for a long period of time she felt she was getting closer to her goal. The idea of being able to help her pack in this way and being able to see new places, that was the whole reason this role has been the one to appeal to her.

The scent of a strange wolf came to her as she neared the same border she and Lachesis had met Eido at. It seemed Hearthwood had yet another visitor. She slowed her pace as she came closer and then she heard his voice calling to her, he wanted to talk.

Inna stepped out of the trees to look the man over, “What is it you need to talk about?” She asked with a raised brow as she was curious what was so important that he had to address her as such at her border.

(This post was last modified: Jan 29, 2017, 04:43 PM by Inna.)
[Image: 2wrks2e.jpg]
Please see Kajika's OOC profile for OOC preferences, thank you.

Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn

"Are you a Hearthwood wolf?" He asked, stepping close, narrowing the space between them.

As he approached, Askan took a moment to observe the wolf before him. Dark coat, bright orange eyes, from a distance he might've mistaken her for Percy, but up close he could see that they were not one of the same. For one, this wolf seemed older, didn't have the same adolescent air to her as Phoenix did. And two, she didn't have any white splodges on her coat, it was untarnished and as dark as the starless night sky.

"I'm Askan Selwyn, from Wild Rye Fields. We settled in the Lowlands." It felt artificial to be so chatty, so eager to offer up this information but whether he liked it or not he had to play nice. And being honest and forward like this was a good way of doing so. "About a days walk from here."

By now, he imagined that the Hearthwood wolves were at the very least aware of their presence, and at most either Drestig or Jessie had conversed with the alphas of the river wolves. But other than that, his pack had little communication with these river wolves and as antisocial as the Yukon wolf was, even he knew that it was good to have friends in other packs. Just in case things got worse with those damn Whitestone wolves.

"I was going to call at the border, but I noticed you and figured you were from the pack."He shrugged. He hadn't meant any offence when he'd called out like that. It was just his blunt nature rearing it's head. Not that he had anything to apologise for, or anything like that.

For sure, Askan wanted to try and talk stuff out, like he had with White Fir Notch, but he wasn't going to kiss the ground they walked on either.

Inactive No Rank
Inna Baranski

This would be another chance for her to practice her speaking with visitors, something she felt she needed practice with for her role. This man had perfect timing. Inna half expected Lachesis to appear beside her as he had in the past, she resisted the urge to turn and look for the healer.

The dark furred man was brusque to be sure especially as he asked his next question, she sighed as the answer was obvious. Instead of getting irritated with his demeanor she smiled, “I am a Hearthwood wolf, is there something I can do for you?” She asked rather curious about what he had come to their border for and if she would be able to help him or if she would have to find Lachesis for him. The fact that he had stepped forward after asking his question didn't worry her despite his current behavior.

She offered him a nod when he introduced himself, this was a nice change it seemed the urgency with which he spoke had worn off some. “Inna Baranski, it's nice to meet you Askan.” He also offered his pack name and location, “Your pack resides in the same area as the Whitestone wolves if memory serves me right?” She said it as more of a question for him to confirm though she was sure of the answer. She had yet to meet any of the others from his pack but was pleased to have the chance. “I have been to the lowlands, they are quite nice for hunting,” she commented conversationally.

She was curious about his pack but even more so about his purpose for being at her border so she felt she would find that out. Then if he was willing perhaps she could find out a little more but it wasn't something she would push. It seemed he had a mission in mind and it was best to take care of that first and foremost. The longer they spoke though he did seem to have some manners though she wasn't how many he actually possessed but would give him a chance.

Askan when on to explain himself a little further giving Inna a chance to maybe rethink her position on his manners. “That's quite alright. I was in the area so it only makes sense,” for him to just call for her instead of sending a call through the territory. “So Askan from Wild Rye Fields what brings you a day's walk to grace me with your presence?” She asked offering him another smile so he would know she was being genuine.

(This post was last modified: Jan 29, 2017, 06:08 PM by Inna.)

Played by Staff who has 4,811 posts.
There are several fresh rabbit tracks in the mud. Hunt Opportunity
Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn

It was difficult for Askan to resist the urge to scorn in disgust at the mention of their northern neighbours. By no means did he break out into a snarl, or his hackles stood on point along his back, but his expression was far from friendly. His eyes were narrowed in contempt and his demeanour was overall cloudy and dark, as though thunder rumbled in the distance. Oh yes, their lands were in the same area but about a day or so of travel apart. That didn't stop the Whitestone wolves from thinking they owned the whole goddamn tundra and just because they got there first. Savages, and yet Inna spoke of them in high regard. Or at least her tone suggested that, her words lacked any sort of venom. What in the hell made her think that the Whitestone wolves were the sort who deserved any positive regard?

"Yeah, we live nearby. About a days walk, or less if you're quick. We're uh... Not on the best terms though." Oh boy that was putting it lightly. But did he really need to explain the real extent of what had transpired between them? Probably not.

The Yukon wolf was glad that Inna was willing to accept his explanation. It had been the truth, so it wasn't as though he had intended to mislead her, but her trust was still appreciated nonetheless. Not every wolf was willing to take his word as gospel, the fact that she did made his life a lot easier.

"Well honestly, I thought I'd run into Aleksei, as he said he lived here. But, it doesn't really matter who I talk to I guess." He mused aloud. "Just figured I'd come along and introduce myself, and see how things were going between our packs."

(This post was last modified: Jan 29, 2017, 11:09 PM by Askan.)
Inactive No Rank
Inna Baranski

It was very interesting the reaction that crossed his face at the mention of the Whitestone wolves as Craw hadn't given her any reason to think poorly of the pack. She tilted her head slightly curious what they had done to this man and his pack to cause such an expression to cross his features. She chose to put this aside for the time being seeing as they had just met and she didn't want to upset the man further before she found out why he'd come. It was a day's travel between her pack and his and he obviously had something he wanted to say. She also didn't want to make any assumptions without more knowledge on the situation. Still the information could be useful to Lachesis, whatever she could get out of the rye wolf would be useful.

Askan went on to explain the closeness of the two packs before he confirmed the fact they weren't on the best of terms. This was information she could definitely take to the healer still she didn't have enough information to really sympathize with the man. “I can see where there would be some conflict between you,” she nodded, “With you being in such close proximity, can cause some problems.” Inna again couldn't make a solid decision what to think about the conflict between the two packs.

Craw had seemed nice enough and Askan, while he'd had a rough start she wasn't ready to send him off. She thought it best to give him his fair chance at hearing him out. Her ears perked though as he mentioned her brother's name, she wondered how that had come about.

“You know my brother?” She asked curiously wondering when this had happened, “He does live here,” she affirmed. He spoke about introducing himself and seeing how things were between their packs, this brought a smile to her features. “That's very kind of you to stop by and check up with us,” she stated kindly offering him a polite nod to show her appreciation, “As far as I know we have no quarrel with your pack. Are you worried there might be?”

(This post was last modified: Jan 30, 2017, 12:31 AM by Inna.)

Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn

Askan scoffed. "Yeah, it causes some problems. But not all."

He couldn't help that little jab. He knew that it probably wasn't a good idea, but it was out there now and nothing he said or did would pull it back. He was glad when Inna got distracted by the mention of her brother as it was a sure fire way of changing the topic. And whilst he couldn't claim that he had Aleksei were the best of pals, he would admit that they had gotten along well enough. By that, he meant that they hadn't argued or fought. They had simply sat down on a hill and watched the stars, they'd talked a little too and Askan had tried to be sympathetic. He wasn't sure how well he did, but he was proud of the fact he had at least made an effort. That was better than nothing, surely.

"Yeah, we met out on the Lowlands. He seemed a bit down. We talked." He wasn't going to say what they spoke of, just in case Aleksei didn't want her to know.

Her gratitude was truly appreciated and Askan shrugged her words away, as if to say 'it's no problem.' It wasn't really, after all he didn't mind travelling a bit, as long as he could head home once all was said and done. Besides, if it helped the pack out then it was worth it in the end. Askan lived to serve Drestig and his family, nothing was too much or too difficult for Askan. If it was commanded of him, he would do it. As for her question, it made him frown a little, because honestly he wasn't too sure. As far as he knew, things were fine, they were on good terms. But... Things changed, nothing ever stayed the same. The last thing he wanted was Craw to turn all of their neighbours against his pack.

"Not that I'm aware of..." He said, speaking slowly as though each word was heavy off of his tongue. "But yeah, I'll be frank, things might come to a head with the Whitestone pack, and I'm a little worried how things might go. Just want my... Family to be safe, you know? I'd do anything."

(This post was last modified: Jan 30, 2017, 12:59 AM by Askan.)
Inactive No Rank
Inna Baranski

Inna had become rather curious about what it was that this wolf had against the Whitestone pack. The way he kept mentioning the bad blood between them left her wondering if he might want to talk about it. “Do you mind elaborating a little on the problems you’ve had with them?” She asked cautiously, “If you don’t that’s fine as well,” she added just so that he wouldn’t feel obligated to answer the question if he didn’t feel comfortable in doing so. What he said of course would be something that she would have to speak with Lachesis about but for her own personal judgement of the Whitestone pack she would have to see what he said first to make that.

She still did not have the information to side with this wolf on whether or not the Whitestone pack was that bad. Craw had his chance to show what he was about and she had to admit that she had seen no reason to doubt the gray man. Askan had yet given her a reason to doubt him either so it was rather important for her to hear this wolf out so that she could help make sure that her pack stayed safe.

Though she was young she wasn’t stupid and knew that any conflict between the two packs in the lowlands could cause problems for Hearthwood. She could not let them pack g through another year like the previous one and she couldn’t let them be in danger.

She smiled when he told her how he knew Aleksei, she nodded as he spoke about where they had met and how her brother had been, “I hope that you two had a good talk and that it cheered him up some.” Since he didn’t say what they had talked about she couldn’t know and she wasn’t the sister that pryed into her brother’s unless he let her. Though there had been times when she had wanted to for the greater good of helping him with his problems.

He spoke about checking on how things were between their packs which made her wonder if something had happened that she wasn’t aware of yet that could cause a problem. She wasn’t aware of Hearthwood having problems with either Wild Rye Fields or Whitestone Monadnock. Unless something happened between the other two packs to cause problems for Hearthwood then everything should still be find and that was what she shared with him.

He wasn’t aware of anything that might have caused problems between their two packs which she was glad they were on the same page. “Good, I would say that you have nothing to worry about from us then.” It was what he said about Whitestone that worried her, could whatever happened there affect her pack? She didn’t know but she wanted to know what he knew. Inna took a step toward him, “I can understand you wanting your family safe, I want that for my family too and like you I would do anything to make sure that happens. What is it that you think is going to come to a head?” She asked taking a step forward hoping it might help him to gve her a few more details.

(This post was last modified: Jan 30, 2017, 01:48 AM by Inna.)

Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn

Askan wasn't all that surprised when Inna wanted an explanation. By no means was she demanding one, in fact she made an effort to let him know that he didn't have to go into details if he didn't want to. At first, he was tempted to just shrug away her question and leave it at that. But what good would that do? Telling her what was really going on between their packs would be a show of good faith and being so close to the Lowlands her pack deserved to know what might or might not happen in the coming months. It was difficult for Askan to gather his thoughts about the Whitestone pack without them converging into a mess of insults and accusations. He had to be as clear and concise as he could, and as difficult as it may be, he knew he had to keep the majority of his feelings out of it.

He sighed. "It's not a problem. It's just... Their alpha, Craw he's a bully. Throws his weight around, thinks he owns the entire lowlands. He watched as his subordinates attacked one of our own. He didn't stop them or nothing, he just watched, smiled. She was real shaken up by it, was never the fighting sort, but every time she leaves I know she's worried she'll run into them again. There were talks between the alphas, mine and theirs, but they didn't go well. If things get any worse, things might come to a head.And with the way things are now, we think there's a lot more of them than there are of us. If they do decide they don't wanna share the Lowlands with us, there's a big chance that we'll be run from our home, or worse. "

Askan was glad that the Hearthwood wolves had no quarrel with the Rye wolves, but honestly he wasn't all that surprised.At the very least he had one less thing to worry about.