(See All?) Announcements
510 Users Online
Bing, Google

spirits in the dark are waiting — Hearthwood River 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Becca who has 232 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Laike Artemieva
The words that came from the pale leader were unexpected but Laike could understand to a degree. The death of a loved one (even if it wasn't his loved one) could very easily be enough to drive someone off and search for a better place. He was not opposed to the idea in the least. He may not have ever done such before but for Hearthwood he would do it. His loyalty had been pledged to Kisla and even if she was gone he would still carry that pledge. If anything, he'd do so just to make sure she didn't die just for her whole empire to come crashing down. The Artemieva was only one wolf but he could be there for all of those around him.

Now, Laike was a man who was usually content to stay silent but the way the dark brute spoke towards Lachesis' idea was enough to make his hackles rise. The stocky Artemieva raised up into a standing position. Although his stance didn't scream dominance, it did demand the attention of those around him.

"Is it superstitious if it's proven right? Do those who must grieve deserve to have to do so every day with loved ones below their paws? Death is inevitable but that does not mean those who are still living should be reminded of it every day." His fiery eyes stayed focused on the dark Delaney male. While Laike was unaware of the full loss that Hearthwood had gone through, he had seen the damage that was done just by the death of one and loss of another. He had seen the mere damage done just when his brother had disappeared but at least Hearthwood had had the tawny healer returned to them. Those who were dead were lost forever. Those who truly disappeared into the night were less likely to be found by the day. And here Aytigin was saying something was wrong with the pack, that it was something wrong with Hearthwood and not perhaps the land they lived upon. Hadn't it been a cougar that took Kisla's life and chased after one of the Baranski daughters? A natural enemy that had been upon their lands. It was not as though they were being plucked away by ghosts or cursed by some witch. There was nothing superstitious about nature.

His tail flicked behind him as he settled back down. It was obvious he was displeased with the way that Aytigin had expressed his opinions. Even if he had apologized for being blunt, as he put it, that did not give him a right to practically spat across the wolves here with his cursing and foul opinions. Due to them being opinions, Laike felt no shame in speaking up his mind on them.
[Image: wrf_sig_by_becuffin-dax4am3.png]
have you checked out my player preferences?
Played by Jacqueline who has 783 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Lorcán Artemieva
The healer’s attention refocused on Lachesis, watching with nervous anticipation as the leader cast his chartreuse gaze across the small group that had gathered before him. Lorcan’s eyes narrowed as the male addressed them all in polite greeting, anxious to hear of the reason for which they had all been summoned. Lachesis did not keep them waiting for long, swiftly disclosing the plan that he had been secretly contemplating over and over inside his head. The idea was not one that Lorcan had anticipated and the healer could not ignore the sudden sinking feeling it conjured inside his gut. Russet ears pressed back against his crown and his brows furrowed in disdain.

Kisla’s death had been hard on everyone, especially those closest to her. As Lorcan resigned his golden gaze to stare down at his paws in indignation, he couldn’t help but wonder if Lachesis’ plan had been concocted purely out of grief for the matriarch and fear that the a similar disaster was cursed to strike again. Unfortunately, the agouti subordinate was unaware that Kisla’s mate had been lost under similar circumstances. If he had known of that fact, perhaps Lorcan would have felt more appreciative of the leader’s concerns, but from what he knew, the matriarch’s death had been nothing more than an unfortunate occurrence.

Aytigin it seemed was of a similar opinion to Lorcan. Though unlike the healer who remained silent with his thoughts, the large dark male demanded that his opinions on the matter be heard – completely uncensored. A single ear pricked up and angled towards the male and his golden eyes widened as the words filled his ears. Although was inclined to agree, the way he conducted himself was utterly unacceptable. However, currently being the lowest ranking male within the pack, Lorcan was powerless to silence him. That job it seemed, was up to his brother. A small whine left his lips as he glanced over to see his larger sibling rise to his paws, hackles raised and eyes aflame.

Much to his surprise, Laike did not move in to grab the male’s muzzle or bare his fangs. Instead he, rather poetically, fought to counter Aytigin’s opinion in a respectful manner. Lorcan considered his brother’s words for a few moments as the larger sibling settled back down, but even as he tried his best to sympathise with the feelings of those closest to Kisla – those who would have to walk upon the soil kissed by the honeyed woman’s blood – he still could not convince himself of leaving. Rising awkwardly to stand, the healer’s gaze flickered around tentatively to meet that of the other wolves. With his tail curled between his legs, Lorcan finally voice his own opinion.

“I don’t believe moving the pack would help us.” He stated, his voice breaking a little beneath the pressure he now felt under. “I think what we need right now is a proper funeral..” He advised before pausing a moment to catch his breath. “We all need a chance to grieve, sir, even you..” He said quietly, focusing back on Lachesis. Then he returned his gaze back to the other pack members. “Then after that…maybe we should consider training up some guardians?” He suggested somewhat nervously, not wanting to force the proposition on anyone in particular or cause offense. With his voice now heard, the subordinate resigned back to settle quietly beside Oksana, offering Inna a sympathetic glance as he considered what her thoughts on matter might be.
# P O R C A N
sometimes, two people have to fall apart to realise
how much they need to fall back together
Played by Kai who has 786 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Inna Baranski
Sorry this is so long. Inna had a lot to say

She'd been waiting for the call after what had happened but she was dreading what would be said, it was an important meeting. With her mother's death it left so many questions but the biggest was the future of Hearthwood. She had to go to the meeting and she took Oksana, she would have to attend these meetings when she was older it was best she learned about them. When she arrived she informed Lachesis of her worry about Risa not showing up. Her brow furrowed as he told her he was sure the girl was okay. That did not comfort the Raven, she decided it might be best to let it go for the time being. Lachesis had a lot on his mind but she still felt some concern was warranted considering how the girl must be feeling.

She took her place with Oksana at her side and waited for the others to arrive, she was not surprised that Lorcan came to sit next to her and Oksana. Things had been much better between them since their conversation and she found herself leaning on him more than she had in the past.

The Raven had also noticed that their new lead female was late to the meeting, this did not sit well with her either. Kisla would never have been late to a meeting and that was just another reason she didn't think the female was the right choice. Inna let her gaze rest on the female until Lach began to speak.

Lachesis began with Kisla's death and how devastating her death was. Then he moved on to what he had been thinking causing Inna's eyes to widen at the thought. How could he even consider such a notion when he had pledged his loyalty to her parents, this was not what they would want. For a moment Inna couldn't even think she was in such shock that he would entertain such an idea.

Ayti’s voice broke through her thoughts before she turned her head to hear what he had to say. She was pleased to hear that he didn't think that they should move the pack, at least someone was on her side. While his method of delivery was a little disrespectful she did not think him completely out of line for Lachesis had asked their opinions. The rest of it however she wasn't sure she agreed with it at all, something wrong with the pack? She didn't believe that one bit.

It seemed however Lorcans brother had other ideas of how Ayti should have addressed the group. He spoke with hackles raised and his dominance over Ayti showing. She didn't agree with him at all and only caused a measure of anger to bubble up inside of her to add to what she was already feeling. She had to wonder what Lorcan thought of this idea and how everyone could still be entertaining it. She felt her mother and father would he appalled at such conversations. To leave their home that they worked so hard for, that they had managed to keep alive. Inna wanted to run and not have to face this decision, face them.

Who would fight though for what her parents had created, she was the last Baranski who could and she was not a coward. She would fight for her home until there was nothing left to fight for if that was what it took. She chose to remain silent to hear Lorcan's opinion on the matter and as for Lilya she could care less what the woman thought. For she couldn't make a decision on her own to save her life. Inna made up her mind right then and there Lilya would side with Lachesis no matter his decision.

Finally Lorcan spoke his opinion and it sided with her, he too did not believe that moving the pack would help and that a proper funeral was in order but it was the last thing he said that had her thinking. Finally Inna decided it was her turn to speak so she stood as the rest of them had. A look was given to her daughter who was clearly upset and a kiss placed on her crown. Taking a deep breath she wasn't sure what she was going to say but her words had never failed her and so she faced the group of men.

“I was born in Hearthwood shortly after my parents moved the pack here, it has been my home ever since. I have worked hard to keep it alive for my parents because they worked hard to make it our home. A place that we could all be safe and with the death of my mother and the way it happened I know it doesn't seem so but I don't think moving the pack is the answer. This pack has suffered far too much death and abandonment in the past two years but we have kept going. To leave now would be no different than giving into it. I have lost both parents to this land and it was devastating both times and they have been laid to rest here. Laike is right that being in Hearthwood is a constant reminder of what has happened but we have two choices give into our grief and let it chase us out like an enemy taking our lands or face our grief, grow stronger and vow to never let something like this happen again.”

She turned to Lachesis, “I understand you are hurting I am too but you are stronger than this as am I. You have always told me Hearthwood would be our home and we would never let anyone one take it from us. Why are you so willing to give it up so easily to your grief?”

She looked back to the men, “We are a strong group of wolves and we can get through this just like we have before but we have to work together as the family I believe we can be. I do have to agree with Lorcan that maybe some changes need to be made to protect us from past mistakes.”

Inna then sat back down next to her daughter satisfied with what she had said and hoped it would persuade the pale leader that his thoughts on leaving weren't the answer. She understood pain and grief could cause one to do something they normally wouldn't but what about after it all passed.

~Table by Jacqueline
[Image: 2wrks2e.jpg]
Please see Kajika's OOC profile for OOC preferences, thank you.

Played by Ace who has 79 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Mathéo Tainn
Mathéo and Risaela were not sticking together.  Since their mother’s untimely passing, he’d barely seen hide nor hair of the wandering girl; it didn’t matter what he wanted, or felt, it seemed.  The girl had not stopped to ask.  So the boy had not followed after her to tell all of his woes.  Truthfully, he barely knew how to handle them on his own, much less express them to anyone else.

At first, he hadn’t thought to join the adults, content to remain a listless blob nearby…but eventually, it began to eat at him.  That he could hear voices, slowly getting louder, but only catch snippets and bits of what they were saying.  Big paws slowly dragged forward and the child made his arrival at the meeting, viridian eyes searching over adults as they went back and forth…about what?  Moving?

The little Tainn’s ears folded back listening to Laike, and Lorcan, and then Inna – his not-really-sister.  She was still an enigma to him, something he didn’t understand – they shared Kisla, but she had known her father, and his was…what?  ‘An old friend?’  What did that mean?  The sun?  The sky?

“Mama is gone,” the little boy said quietly, ears pinning further against his skull.  “So listen to Lack.”  At least the shortening of Lachesis’ name had graduated from La-la.  “Mama said listen to Lack.”  His gaze settled on Inna – sure, she was an adult, but Mama was her Mama too.  Why didn’t she listen to Mama’s rules?
[Image: vF8B2O.png]
Played by Kai who has 617 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Oksana Baranski

Oksana watched from the protection of her mother and Lorc, peering around the tawny man, as the others arrived. Her gaze would often flick to her mother curious as to what she was doing and mimicking her. She didn't really understand what was happening or what they all were doing there but she was sure Inna would know what to do, her mother always knew what to do. When her uncle Lach started talking Oksana looked to him though she didn't understand all that he said. It was times like this that she wished she understood more of what the adults said to her. What she did hear and understand was 'leaving’ and 'Hearthwood’ which brought a panic from the child and a while from her throat.

She didn't want to leave her home, her friends, how would her grandmother know where to find her? She knew her grandmother couldn't visit now but her mum had said she would see her again one day. If they went away she wouldn't know where to look. The small Baranski pressed up against her mother, she could fix this so they would have to leave. Then Ayti spoke and she didn't understand anything really except that he didn't seem to want to go. She was glad for that maybe they wouldn't have to if he didn't want to go. A small frow crossed her tiny maw when Laike spoke, his tone causing her to press against her mother more. She looked to Inna for some clue as to what to do. Oksana was scared that she would have to leave the only home she had ever known.

Then that strange pup appeared who she didn't know much about except he never seemed to want to play with her. It was the words they came out of his maw that upset her, “Lach want leave Mama want stay, Sana want stay, you want leave home?” She turned the question on the boy hoping he understood what was happening and if he really wanted them to leave their home the only place they had known.

(This post was last modified: Aug 10, 2017, 04:39 PM by Oksana.)
Please see Sharlee's OOC profile for OOC preferences, thank you
Played by Tasha (Inactive) who has 328 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Lilya Valrorys
OMG so sorry - work had me pulling doubles and overtime. Leader Dem 2/3

Lilya had to admit that she was surprised by Lachesis’ suggestion to move the pack away from the Hearthwood, a wide frown hinting her features. It seemed that the pack remained divided, and as much as she respected his judgement, she knew what running from grief like this was like and she shook her head. “Ah agree with Inna and Lorcan. Ah think it’s best we remain…”She supposed she needed more than that – she had her own reasons, different from those who remained. “Ah was Lekalta… I saw a family member die right in front of me… n’running from m’home just made it ‘arder fer me ta move on from ‘er death.” She wanted her daughters to know the River like she did. She wanted the pack to thrive in the Kingsfall to honor Kisla.

Besides, Kisla wouldn’t want them to break apart like this on her behalf! Lilya just wanted to keep everyone together, and she’d fight for it all she could. They were a pack, and such a monumentous decision would require them all to agree… they had reached a stalemate, and so it was up to one side to convince the other – Lilya hoped they could sway them all into staying.

(This post was last modified: Aug 18, 2017, 02:08 AM by Lilya.)
[Image: 7N0QCvu.png][Image: lilyapix_by_euphoriclies-datc4vp.png]
Played by Arla who has 1,399 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Lachesis "XIX" Stark
I'll be posting one more post after everyone's posted in this round. This round will end August 28 and I'll be posting the final post and archiving by September 2 <3 thanks for being so speedy everyone and fuelling the Hearthwood soap opera!
No posting order necessary! @Aytigin @Laike @Lorcan @Inna @Lilya @Oksana @Matheo 
leader dem 3/3

Deep down the ghost had no real intent on moving the pack, despite a long, gruelling battle with his inner demons prior to the meeting. He and Maksim had come to the conclusion that Hearthwood would be their final resting place when they first claimed the land. One had already been taken by the Kingswood while the other struggled to keep his head (and the pack) afloat.

The leader’s main concern was the contagious itchy or wandering paws that seemed to plague the river wolves. Even Inna, one of his most trusted subordinates and the last remaining Baranski, had allowed her paws to carry her over the lowlands before spring arrived—which was most likely the reason why there was now a little raven glued to her side. He was not oblivious to those who disappeared for hours, sometimes for a full day or two, but seldom reprimanded. He, too, was guilty of wandering away from the Kingswood, seeking refuge at the lake south of their home.

Was it his fault for being too lenient? Was that why members came and went, getting a few warm meals and nights of shelter before leaving to find something better?

His thoughts were disrupted by a loud outburst from the ebony Delaney, his words tumbling off his tongue freely. The leader’s upper lip curled immediately, his brows narrowed darkly as he rose to his paws, hackles raised. Superstitious bullshit? He snorted, half in amusement and half in irritation. “I have watched two leaders die here, Aytigin. Two friends, along with the mother of my first litter and my son. That is not some superstitious bullshit, he spat in response, his canines reflecting in the morning light. He nodded at Laike, his features softening as he acknowledged the usually quiet Artemieva for coming to his defence. “I did say toyed,” he added, his chartreuse gaze rounding to Aytigin once more. “I understand where you are coming from, and I commend you for your loyalty to this pack. I want to see where everyone’s head is at—how they feel about this unexpected loss. Our numbers are dwindling once more.” Lorcán’s voice broke him away from his thoughts and he nodded once more in agreement, his peridot’s softening as they landed on the tawny healer. “I think training up some guardians is a wonderful idea, but if we are to stay here—if we are to succeed as we have before—we will also need to recruit. We still have five puppies to take care of, after all,” he continued, motioning to little Oksana and Mathéo.

He fell silent as Inna spoke, his pale eyes not wavering from her obsidian figure as she addressed the group, her words dripping with honest passion. They were the wolves that continued to preserver, no matter the threat. He wanted nothing more than to see the pack flourish once more, to make both Maksim and Kisla proud. Even if he had wanted to run in the beginning, he couldn’t. Not when the wolves standing before him were so determined to keep the pack afloat; to watch it succeed. Why are you so willing to give it up so easily to your grief? “I am not willing to,” he countered, his features smooth as he addressed the raven, his hackles relaxing, “before Hearthwood this pack survived a flood and the threat of a neighbouring pack. While leaving has crossed my mind, simply to seek unsoiled ground, it won’t solve anything. I told Kisla that Hearthwood would always be our home—and that we were the first to make our home in the north, and we’d be the last to remain. I intend to keep that promise to her.” Even if the land was home to painful memories, it was also filled with beautiful reminders of the life that thrived beneath the redwoods.

He glanced over at the blue-eyed sparrow as she spoke, his gaze softening as he nodded, slowly, in silent understanding. He knew she wouldn’t want to leave. Kisla had been a good friend to the veteran and now that they had child growing up in the Kingswood, it did not make sense to move. To thrust them into a new home. Because of why? Because he was a coward and unable to face the grief of losing another friend (two friends)? He felt foolish for even suggesting that they leave, but he did not know what his subordinates would want. Not unless he threw the suggestion in their face, like he had.

“I agree, though, some changes are definitely in order,” he added with a final nod in Inna’s direction, his eyes flitting to the group once more. “Does anyone have any other suggestions?”

(This post was last modified: Aug 18, 2017, 02:10 AM by Lachesis.)
[Image: ds_by_a_yellow_bird-dc337jk.png]
stick with those who stick with you
Played by Tasha (Inactive) who has 328 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Lilya Valrorys
Leader Dem 3/3 - getting this up so I know I'm not holding it up :D

Lachesis’ reaction to the flirtatious Delaney caused her to tense a little, the mention of their son as she forced a steely gaze. She still wasn’t over it, nor did she think she ever would be. Little Laddeus deserved a proper chance at life, but alas, the world was cruel. It was a lesson the war veteran kept learning over and over again – perhaps one day it might stick in her head and she might be able to step up and face it with tooth and claw as others before her had. Lachesis spoke perfectly, each syllable seemingly thought out, though if she knew the ghost, she knew better than to think he actually had to think about what he was saying in order to paint the picture correctly.

Lachesis asked for suggestions and Lilya offered her piece. “Ah think perhaps focusing on the children might be better, seeing that they learn th’thing they need ta learn. Takin’ them out more n’trying ta involve them as much as we can with their age. Not jus' providin' for 'em and lettin' them wander, but teachin' them how to provide fer themselves too... it might kill two birds with one leap...” It was something she felt they had all lacked on in the spirit of trying to make sure there was enough food – a logical concern, but one the children were starting to reach the age where they were old enough to help provide for themselves. They still needed to learn how in order to help. They all had some training, sure, but formal and structured training… or maybe that was just her parent’s spirits whispering in her ear.

(This post was last modified: Aug 18, 2017, 02:37 AM by Lilya.)
[Image: 7N0QCvu.png][Image: lilyapix_by_euphoriclies-datc4vp.png]
Played by Van who has 292 posts.
Inactive I. Leader
Aytigin Delaney
It became immediately obvious that Laike wanted to play the kibitzer in the situation, and Aytigin found that his body stiffened assertively in response to the second's dominant display. Which was strange, because normally he wouldn't mind being the submissive one. But here and now, with a wolf he'd never been able to get along with, and how exhausted he was... it was plenty enough to strike at his buried temper. He lashed his tail, jaw tightening but not showing his teeth. Even he - the wolf with no tact - knew that a fight here would be a mistake.

"There's not much I believe in; I'll admit that. Death is natural, and it isn't as though the land itself is out to get us. What I'm sayin' is, if we just went off to try 'n find a better place or whatever, the same exact stuff will happen to us." Hazel eyes turned toward Lachesis, who was expectedly angry at the Delaney's thoughts. He cocked a brow, his posture relaxing slightly. "I understand that it hurts - nobody likes going through the death of someone they care about. But location has nothing to do with it. You've been around, Lach. Cougars are everywhere. Sickness is everywhere. Death is everywhere. It's not something you can escape from just by running off somewhere else." And besides all that, it was not just his son that had died. Ayti's eyes narrowed just a bit and he offered Lilya a sympathetic look. Her son died, too, he corrected mentally, flashing a glance back up at Lachesis.

The mocha-colored man shook out his fur and glanced around at the wolves gathered. Inna, Lorcan, and Lilya - fortunately - did not seem to think that leaving was ideal, and neither did precious little Oksana. He smiled warmly at the kid, and it wavered when he spotted poor Matheo. He didn't know the boy well, but made a mental note to check in on him later on to make sure he was okay. Or, well, as okay as a child who had just lost their mother could be.

A sigh exhaled slowly through his nose - he couldn't spend any more energy here. He was too tired. The man let out a loud grunt as he turned his back on the group, intent on heading out of the clearing the way he'd come. "Let me know what you all decide when this is done," he said flippantly over his shoulder, and then slipped between the bushes, intent on patrolling a bit around the borders.

{ exit Ayti }
(This post was last modified: Aug 18, 2017, 02:46 AM by Aytigin.)
Played by Kai who has 786 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Inna Baranski

Inna had given her speech as it ended up being in hopes that it would show that if she didn't want to leave then this was where they should stay. She was the one who had lost both her parents and all of her siblings whether they had left or worse. If anyone should want to leave it would be her. She also thought of Lach as she always would, he had lost his two best friends, the mother of his first litter as well as that litter and a son from his second. With his suggestion she did worry that it was too much for him and that he felt moving was the better option. She hoped her openness would help the pack to persevere despite the horrible events that had taken place there.

Inna was frankly surprised by Lilya's admittance that she agreed with her and Lorcan, that she felt staying was what she thought best. Perhaps she had been just a little bit wrong about the woman, she would hold out any further judgements for the time being while the tawny woman adjusted to her new position in the pack.

The words Ayti had spoken had rubbed Inna in a way that had given her mixed feelings about what he'd said. She wasn't sure what to think of them but what she did know was he had voiced that he wanted to stay. The reaction from Lachesis when he spoke again however caused her to lower herself slightly, she'd never seen the pale leader in such an upset before. It was clear he hadn't liked what was said by the chocolate man.

And Laike while she felt he had a good point she could not agree with him on it but as Lachesis spoke to him she did smile. The Artemieva brother had been quite the addition to the pack and while he might not always be so social he had made his efforts and been kind to her. He worked hard and did his part, she was glad they had him on their side.

Lorcan had some good points that she liked more guardians would mean more protection for the pack. She hoped that would mean less chance of something like what happened to her mother from happening again. Lachesis also seemed to like that idea but added they needed to recruit, Inna didn't disagree with that. They needed more members since they had lost three very recently. She'd been disappointed to find that Mace had left them, she didn't want to lose anyone else.

She'd been a little worried that she would get reprimanded for her speech but she did not and instead Lachesis proved her wrong. He declared that he did not want to give into his grief which she gave a nod of understanding. He spoke of the things he had told her before of the flood and the traitor that had forced them to leave cut Rock River. “We are fighters and always will be. Keeping your promise to her and staying will honor her memory. I think it's what she would want us to do. Just as you said,” Inna spoke to Lachesis with a smile.

What was a little shocking to Inna was Ayti had gotten upset at what Lachesis had said to him. She'd never seen him so upset and was reminded of their conversation in Fireglow Grove. Maybe this was why other wolves found him scary and then he just left the clearing. Inna watched him go before turning to give her opinion.

He then wanted to know if they had any ideas of the changes to be made, “We need members but we need ones that aren't going to stick around for a short time and leave us. It's not fair to any of us here that work hard for what he have and have made Hearthwood our home. I think we need some way to determine if a wolf that comes to our border seeking to join us is really the right wolf for Hearthwood. Some way to know if they will stick around or leave.” It wasn't a completely thought out suggestion and if she were honest she wasn't even sure if it was possible but maybe it was. She supposed there wasn't any way to tell until they tried to put it into action.

~Table by Jacqueline
[Image: 2wrks2e.jpg]
Please see Kajika's OOC profile for OOC preferences, thank you.