(See All?) Announcements
530 Users Online
Google, Bing, Neo

fly, little blackbird — Driftwood Surge 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Ku who has 18 posts.
Inactive V. Yearling
Cajun Ostrega
ew, it's me. following the RE of "violent thunderstorms overtake Relic Lore".

When the rain had started, it hadn't veen much of a bother. He really didn't mind the rain, and found it peaceful in all truth. But the skies had grown angry quickly, heavy clouds rolling and toiling as his surroundings near the lake had darkened. It was a brief storm, gone as quick as it had come, and the sun had pierced back through the clouds. All in all, other than a couple of starts and scares by the lightning and a fairly soaked pelt, he had endured without concern.

Nearly dry as he followed a weary, muddy path, Cajun stumbled across the borders of a pack nestled away. Long shadows of the mountain blanketed them all as he went to pace along the scent markers, curious that he would find such a place hidden. He figured somewhere along the jagged strand of mountains he would find something, hence the path following, but also thought maybe he should have expected it.

Unattended in this brief while but perhaps not alone, he toed the line at a distance as his nose worked over the scents. The clouds built in again as he also took into consideration the brief encounters he had with the coyotes, and thunder rumbled distant from over the mountain as he stopped. "Great," he murmured to himself, and sighed. He was pretty hungry, looked like he had better days, and was still smarting from a few taunts from coyotes he felt were following him now for the fun of it... and he was here, at the proverbial doorstep of someone's claim.

His curiosity was piqued and his spirits dampened enough that he thought to give it a shot—he raised his head and howled. It was simple enough, a minor inquiry to see who or what would come forth to seek him out, though he also felt himself on edge as he scanned those darkening surroundings again for those sneering coyotes. Time would tell what came about, assuming the storm didn't get to him first. The world had become very still, and very tense.
Played by Kai who has 482 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Emrys Myrddin
Guardian Dem 1/3

The pale leader had been busy storing plants and herbs just in case they were needed. Now that spring was officially upon them and everything was growing again he was feeling less anxious. Now that he was able to get out and do what he did best, what he'd always done. He did have to admit that it was nice having healing be the only thing that he needed to worry about. He hunted each day to help provide for the pack but he had returned to his passion.

Going out to collect some more plants was in his mind as he traveled towards the border. He was halfway there when a howl from the borders reached his ears. It seemed they had a visitor causing the former alpha to become curious. He picked up his pace to reach the border. It didn't take him long to before he was approaching it.

He slowed his pace as he looked upon the wolf there waiting. He had to admit the wolf didn’t look like much but it was too soon to make a real judgement. Besides it was no longer his to make, now he was there to greet the visitors and occupy them until Lachesis arrived. “What brings you to our borders?" He asked his posture showing his place in the pack.

(This post was last modified: May 25, 2018, 05:07 AM by Emrys.)
Please see Kajika's OOC profile for OOC preferences, thank you.
Inactive V. Yearling
Cajun Ostrega
His call faded off and to him it seemed the humidity built to fill the wake his voice had made in the falling silence. It was then that Cajun realized he didn't have the slightest clue what it was he was supposed to do after that. It wasn't like there was some magical instruction manual that outlined what all fell into place, and there wasn't one for those that had committed themselves to the proverbial road. His father had made it clear that the path his son was embarking on was not an easy one—that much had held true.

In the moments that followed as he tried to compose himself, a flash of white slipped from between the greenery. Plucked from his thoughts, his hackles rose for only a moment when he took stock of what and who approached. Wolf, not some albino coyote having stolen over the borders to stir some nonsense up. The corners of his mouth turned up into a smile as relief flooded in; his tail swept at his hocks to further any notion that he was friendly.

"Well, a few things," he started before he was ready. His gaze fell away to the world around them as another grumble of thunder came. "What's this place? I didn't expect to find a pack here and, uh, well I'm glad I did. My name's Cajun and I was wondering if you'd have some room for me here for a while." His voice tapered off and he wondered if that was good enough. Sure, the confidence was lacking a bit and he probably screamed with how green around the ears he was with the whole thing... but...

"I mean if you don't I'll be on my way and all. Maybe try to find somewhere to hole up from the weather." His smile flashed again, this time with uncertainty.
Played by Arla who has 1,399 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Lachesis "XIX" Stark
guardian dem 1/3

Lachesis was uncharacteristically late to a border call. Most of his time had been spent monitoring the borders—typically in the evenings, when the rest of the pack succumbed to the moon—and the rest was spent at Lilya’s birthing den to ensure she had enough to eat and that the children weren’t tiring her out too much. Sleep, as usual, evaded the ghost most days. It was why, after tending to his mate, he set out for the borders once more. He did not mind the appearance of rain; he was well accustomed to the damp weather. The thunderstorms overhead were a little unsettling, but the coyotes were his main concern now. Especially with his children nearing the age where they’d start wandering beyond the den; testing their limits.

His ears turned in the direction of the call, his brows pinched tight with curiosity as his pace changed. He loped through the trees, his long legs maneuvering through the trees with ease as mud splashed against his underside. It appeared, however, that he was not the first to arrive. His medic had already greeted the young newcomer. Lachesis had caught the tale-end of the yearling’s response—how he was looking for somewhere to stay for a while. The statement did not sit well with Lachesis but it was possible that the youth could be swayed if he was accepted into the pack. For now, he was an outsider; he did not know if he would be suited for Driftwood. Not until he settled within the borders. My name is Lachesis Stark, he greeted, his chin raised slightly and his tail arched over his back to ensure he stood taller than his pale second, and I’m the leader of this pack. Driftwood Surge. I apologize for my delay. His chartreuse gaze swept over the tawny youth as the corners of his mouth pinched tight. There might be a place for you here. But it depends… what can you offer us? We have three cubs to take care of this summer; we need those who are willing to pull their own weight. He would not tolerate a freeloader. 

(This post was last modified: May 25, 2018, 12:40 AM by Lachesis.)
[Image: ds_by_a_yellow_bird-dc337jk.png]
stick with those who stick with you
Inactive No Rank
Emrys Myrddin
Shout out to @Lachesis for the knowledge or in case he wants to jump in. Guardian Dem 2/3

Greeting wolves at the border wasn't anything new to the pale healer. Any other day he might have ignored the call and let someone else take care of it. It wasn't his job to watch over the border like it was some of the other wolves. Since he'd been hearing that way he felt that since he was in his way already might as well. This way no one else had to worry about it and he could find out if it was worth calling for Lachesis. When he finally came to the border he approached to make sure this wolf understood that he was calling on wolves that had the upper paw in this situation.

Once he greeted the stranger he gave him the chance to speak and explain what it was that he had come to their border for. Being in the notch as long as he had Emrys had seen all kinds come to the border for one thing or another. He listened carefully to what the man said and it seemed that he was looking to join them. It seemed that Lachesis ight need to be called in this situation since he didn't have the power to welcome or deny a wolf.

Fortunately Emrys didn't have to call the alpha as he appeared just as the visitor finished speaking. The healer was a little relieved that he wouldn't have to deal with this. His days of that had ended the day he left the notch. He just wasn't ready yet. As Lachesis approached he dipped his head to his alpha and let his posture drop to show that he was now in the presence of a more dominate wolf. He then stepped back to Lachesis flank as he listened to what the surge alpha had to say.

(This post was last modified: May 25, 2018, 05:08 AM by Emrys.)
Inactive V. Yearling
Cajun Ostrega
At the heels of his statement, the soft shift of the brush and grasses revealed another wolf approaching. Cajun took in the sight of him briefly, gleaning what he needed to know in a rush from both the stature held and the reaction of unnamed fellow that had met him first. His ears folded back to rest against his skull briefly before they thrust forward to catch words that held more interest than the expressions he could form.

Driftwood Surge. An interesting moniker for the place, but given the waterlogged vistas around it seemed apt. What caught his attention was the mention of puppies though, and his thoughts flickered back over the coyotes that had been plaguing him off and on over the stretch of days to present. That could have been a problem, but a pack could drive them off a lot easier than his failed attempts. Obviously this lot was guarded and for good reason—one wolf showing up was one thing, but an alpha? Serious business, right.

"Well, I'm pretty good at tracking, and hunting too. I know a bit about plants too; my mother was a healer of sorts. Um, I can do anything really, I guess. I mean I've made it this far without too much trouble," his tongue held then, was he going on too much? Should have paid attention to patrols more, he thought. "I like to explore so I guess all those things go together... is there something you need particularly? Maybe I could learn and help."

He smiled again, but felt an inclination to shuffle back that he repressed into a turn of his head. This stuff was a lot harder than he thought but what in life was easy?
Inactive No Rank
Lachesis "XIX" Stark
guardian dem 2/3

The boy was young; therefore, filled with potential. It was likely that his wandering paws would get the best of him and he would abandon Driftwood in the future, but there was also a chance that the youth would find a home within the mountain forest. Lachesis just had to make it worth his while. Show him that the Surge was worth making a home out of.

He was quick to answer, explaining that he was a jack of all trades. Knew a bit of this; a bit of that. He appeared well-rounded and eager, which pleased the pale ghost. His last statement was what intrigued the older male the most, earning a raised brow from the stoic leader. … is there something you need particularly? Maybe I could learn and help. It showed initiative. Proved to the Driftwood leader that he wasn’t looking for somewhere to rest for a few weeks before disappearing into the woods once more. Or, at least, he hoped. Lachesis had been too trusting in the past; too lenient. But, he also knew that wolves deserved chances. If he was willing to prove himself then Lachesis was willing to give him the opportunity to do so.

Being able to do anything will definitely help you here, he responded with an amused curl of his lips, his chin tipping softly to one side. Just know, second chances are not given out easily. If you leave, without a word or explanation, you will not be welcomed back. He paused, his expression softening once the stern words left the tip of his cherry tongue. But if you are willing to work and prove yourself there is a place for you in Driftwood. Your tracking and hunting abilities will be useful to both the cubs and the pack—especially with so many coyotes lurking around. It was up to the yearling whether he wanted to take Lachesis up on his offer to join the pack. The ghost had said what was needed. 

(This post was last modified: May 25, 2018, 12:40 AM by Lachesis.)
Inactive No Rank
Emrys Myrddin
guardian Dem 3/3

Standing there listening to the exchange between the wolf Cajun and Lachesis Emrys understood the dilemma that the alpha had. He had been there plenty of times himself but it was unfortunately Lachesis choice alone to make the decision in that instance. Should be trust that the young wolf would stay and work hard earning himself a place in the pack or send him away. The surge did need more members especially with Lilya's pups having arrived so it might be worth giving this wolf a chance.

The coyotes was another thing they would need members to ward them off if they came too close. It seemed as Lachesis spoke again that the alpha was willing to offer Cajun the chance to prove himself. He touched the leaders shoulder with his nose to show that he thought it was a good idea. If it worked out they would have another loyal member and if not well they would just be more careful next time. It was a hard thing but Emrys had learned in his life that wolves came and went from your life and there wasn't much that would he done about it.

(This post was last modified: May 25, 2018, 05:09 AM by Emrys.)
Inactive V. Yearling
Cajun Ostrega
It went better than he expected. Capturing those scant reactions in his peripheral was not the best of gauges to figure how well he was or wasn't doing, but the words that Lachesis spoke were at least positive. He understood the rules, not at all surprised that they were held to the same standard his father kept. Though wolves came and went, and short of some calamity unforeseen, he knew to keep someone at least in the loop. Lest he wanted teeth at his hide for coming around; family could not help him here, or welcome him with open arms.

But there was something that leapt out—coyotes.

"Wait, you guys have been dealing with the coyotes too?" That surprised him, if only because he thought the passing blows and distant following had been retaliation for a particular incident some time ago. It was reliving, if not troubling still to some degree. "I've seen a few of them, but on the other side of the mountains mostly. They keep chasing me, and well not just me. There's been others too," and unspoken half a second later, he thought obviously. It confirmed to him that at least he waan't being magically singled out for something he did or didn't do, but hardly quelled that he would feel comfortable. Still... safety in numbers and all.

It shoved him through the crossroads.

"So if you'll take me, I wanna help with them. Whatever you need." A particular distaste for the cousin canine had bloomed within him; he was notably tired of their harrassment and stalking among other things.
Inactive No Rank
Lachesis "XIX" Stark
feel free to fade with your post @Cajun! <3 I'll get you titled/added to the ranks
guardian dem 3/3

His softened expression quickly changed as Cajun explained that he was no stranger to the coyotes. What worried him the most was that the tawny youth spoke of seeing them on the other side of the mountain, which meant Driftwood wasn’t the only pack dealing with the sudden abundance of vermin in the Lore. It caused a dark frown to cut across his pale features and his brows immediately furrowed. It appeared that the coyotes were a bigger issue than he had originally suspected. At least, by adding another to their ranks, they would boost their defences. That was all that mattered to the father—especially with children running around.

Knowing that they're on both sides of the mountain is rather unsettling, he hummed in disapproval, his brow still pinched tight, but there is strength in numbers. I am sure we can deal with the ones that come our way together. He hoped, at least. That was the plan. Consider yourself a member of Driftwood Surge then, he added in response to the youth’s last comment, his expression resuming his former expression as his tail wagged softly behind him. I’m sure Emrys won’t mind giving you a tour; he is our resident medic so he can show you where he keeps his herbs if you require any in the future. If you have any questions you can seek out myself or our Advisor, Anastasia. My mate, Lilya, leads alongside me, but she is currently tending to our current litter so best not pester her with questions unless you have food with you. The last row of words was complimented with a sharp wink before he motioned for the tawny yearling to follow the pale duo into the trees behind them.

(This post was last modified: May 25, 2018, 12:41 AM by Lachesis.)