515 Users Online
Google, Eclypse

Old dog, new tricks — Lost Lake 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Grae who has 893 posts.
Sanguine Cove IV. Elder
Moonshadow Eastfall
I think I need help, cuz I'm drowning in myself

The onyx Eastfall man grumbled is doubts of his success as he stilled himself and began to fish. Mercury orbs watch him still and scan the water. Small silver fish quickly returned darting around their feet and the silt finally fully settled. She smiled as she watched him as well as the aquatic prey. There were a few good contenders but they were all smart enough to stay away from the wolves. There was one brave enough to be somewhat close to the dark pair but it was still a good body's length away. Nash tensed as he spotted the fish. Moon knew it was still too far away but she remained quiet curious to see if this is was why the young Eastfall was having trouble find success.

Word Count: 000
[Image: ftc_sig_by_becuffin-dax4amo.png][Image: moonshadowtagg_sig_by_becuffin-daxixpd.png]
Played by Flywolf who has 607 posts.
Sanguine Cove I. Leader
Nash Eastfall
Nash glanced at his mother one more time as he all but trembled with the desire to leap into action. She remained still and quiet, and the fish was beginning to turn...

Nash surged forward, diving into the deeper water with teeth bared and snapping for the fish. As usual, he got nothing but water up his nose and in his throat and he came up spluttering and soaked, silt once again swirling around him as he trudged back to his mother's side, ears half back. "You did that on purpose," he accused as he reached her. His voice was still more petulant than angry, however, and it was a fact he hated. "You could have told me it was too far."

He hated making a fool of himself; he was only reminded of how little he actually knew. When he'd been alone he'd thought he was well-travelled and had gained skills every wolf needed. Now that he was in a pack again, he felt lost. Everything he'd learned on his own seemed useless, and he was awkward to boot. He barely interacted with his packmates beyond his mother and brother and... much as he loved his home, part of him was overwhelmed.

Sanguine Cove IV. Elder
Moonshadow Eastfall

Her suspicions were confirmed when he lunged for the fish while it was much too far out of reach. This time however she did not laugh, she remained quiet as he disappeared under the surface and reappeared. A warm understanding smile pulled at her greying muzzle as he swam back to her. His tone was accusatory as he stated that she had done that on purpose - and he was right. Though she didnt do it maliciously, and she knew he knew that. This was a teaching opportunity, a time to allow failure judgment free and without consequence. There was no empty stomach yelling or needy companion in desperate need of a meal.  He then grumbled that she could have told him it wasnt close enough. Moonshadow gave his cheek a kiss. "I had to see it for myself without interferin'. Its okay though!" She told him hoping to reinstill some of his lost confidence. "This is how ya learn love." She gave him a nudge. "Lets move down a little." She added moving back to shallower water. The fish were going to very cautious of this spot for at least the next few hours.

She moved down the shore finding some large boulders that cut into the beach. Feeling confident that they had moved far enough away the onyx Eastfall matriarch took note of suns position and moved so that she cast a shadow near the boulder. "Would ya like to watch or try again?" She asked her near doppelganger with an encouraging smile. She would be happy to show him her technique or if he felt confident enough he could try again.

[Image: ftc_sig_by_becuffin-dax4amo.png][Image: moonshadowtagg_sig_by_becuffin-daxixpd.png]
Sanguine Cove I. Leader
Nash Eastfall
Nash pouted and gave his mother a half-hearted scowl as she explained herself and tried to sooth the embarrassment burning in his fur. It was cheating, he thought, that she hadn't even given him any tips before setting him out to try!

Even so, he followed her down the shoreline with minimal grumbling until she found a place near some boulders she found satisfactory. Her shadow merged with that of the boulders, and Nash took keen interest in that. He'd never thought of his shadow as something that might alert the fish to his presence.

When she asked him if he'd like to try again, he shook his head. "I'll watch you first," he said, not particularly keen on embarrassing himself for a third time.

Sanguine Cove IV. Elder
Moonshadow Eastfall

She had figured he'd prefer to watch but she still wanted to give him the chance to speak for himself. Smiling at his choice she gave him a nod before returning her attention to her shadow. She positioned herself so that her shadow became an extension of that of the large boulder. It was a trick Kajika had shown her, though originally he had taught her using his shadow to imitate that of the ice. Since it was the height of summer there was definitely no ice. The speckled woman had figured out how to use the rocks of their mountain home long ago.

She stood still keeping her head about a foot from the surface as she patiently waited. There were plenty of potential prey swimming about some near some far. Silver pools finally found a sizeable prize swimming without a care just within the shadow of the boulder. She slowly lowered her head so that her speckled maw hovered right above the water. Her breathing became shallow so that she didn't disturb the clear liquid. Moonshadow again just waited, hovering silently while watching intently. Finally the trout ventured out into her shadow extension unwittingly inching closer to its ultimate doom. Just a few more inches.

A slow deep breath was sucked into her lungs, preparing her for her underwater journey. Going rigid for only a split second the dark mother shot herself into the water. Her head shot straight down with her maw opened. Like a snake striking, she moved with her jaws open, easily snatching the trout that swam directly beneath it. Finding her purchase, Moon jerked her head back out of the water, holding tightly to her prize. It writhed within her jaws but she held on giving her youngest son a smile. She moved back to shore careful to not disturb their fishing spot anymore than she already has. By the time she made it back to shore the trout's struggle had ended, she set it down and looked towards Nash, allowing him to speak first.

Sanguine Cove I. Leader
Nash Eastfall
Nash sat on the pebbly shore, watching his mother intently as she stood stock-still in the water, almost a rock herself. The warm sun beat down on him, but with the chilly water still soaked into his fur, Nash didn't mind it now. He was able to focus on Moon's fishing.

He was beginning to grow impatient. There were so many fish around her, but then, maybe they were too far. He always went too soon; the whole reason he was watching her now was to see what actually worked. When she finally did move, it was only to lower her head and open her mouth slightly. Nash's eyes narrowed, trying to see what she had spotted.

There! In the shadow of the rock, moving slowly towards her, was a trout. He perked up, leaning forward to see what she did now.

Finally she dove forward, the water splashing loudly as it broke the silence. Moon came back up, proudly holding her prize in her jaws as she sloshed back toward Nash and deposited the fish on the ground, smiling at him. He glanced between her and the fish, eyes narrowed. "You have more practice," he finally said, trying to be offended but unable to keep the slight teasing out of his voice. "Okay, I'll try it your way." He hauled himself to his feet and waded out into the water, picking a spot slightly further out that his mother had used so the sandy bottom was less disturbed and the fish were less likely to be suspicious. His shadow still lingered near the boulders, though the water came up to his chest and he wasn't sure how fast he would be able to move when a fish did come within range.

Still, he waited, watching carefully. When another trout began to weave its way through the clear water towards him, Nash had to firmly scold himself to keep from moving too soon. It began to turn away, but he managed to hold firm. To his relief, the fish seemed to change its mind again and came towards him. It was about half way between the surface and the bottom; enough space for it to escape when Nash moved if it wanted to. Still, he was going to try.

He waited until it was right below his head before plunging down, pushing himself to move as fast as possible. When his teeth closed around warm flesh instead of water, Nash was so surprised he nearly let go. He remembered to clench his jaw again at the last moment, triumphantly coming back up and splashing back to shore, head held high and tail wagging. "Ah shih ih!" he said, then dropped the faintly wiggling fish next to his mother's and grinned up at her. "I did it!" He beamed at her. Now they could settle in and enjoy their catches together.

Sanguine Cove IV. Elder
Moonshadow Eastfall

She laughed at his comment. Sure she did have more practice, but that's why they were there though right? Large dark haunches replaced slightly smaller ones on the pebbly shore as the two Eastfalls switched places. Cool pools watched beneath dark brows as Nash took up a position near where she had been but not exactly as to take into account of their disturbance. She was proud of the little decisions he was making. From his positioning to physically restraining himself to wait for the perfect striking time. Her silver dusted tail began to beat behind her as Nash dove into the water and came back up with a fish within his grasp. Moon stood giving a happy bark as he came to meet her on the beach. "I knew ya could do it!" The mother exclaimed trying not to coo at him. He was a grown man after all. That didnt stop the pride that filled her though.

Sanguine Cove I. Leader
Nash Eastfall
The pride and genuine happiness on Moon's face at his success filled Nash with warmth. At least he could make her proud in something small, even if he didn't do big things like Chan did. He bumped her shoulder with his nose and briefly groomed behind her ears before picking up his fish, finding a shady spot in the treeline, and settling down with his catch. He looked expectantly up at his mother and then at the space beside him. "Join me for lunch?" he said with a wide smile before tucking into his hard-earned meal.

Nash looked up at her again, filled with fondness. He was grateful for this time. No matter what had happened, no matter what the future held... he was glad that he had this time, here, with his mother. "Thank you for teaching me, Mama," he said.

FADE

Sanguine Cove IV. Elder
Moonshadow Eastfall

Her silver dusted banner beat wildly behind her as Nash brought his catch ashore and gave her shoulder a nudge. She smiled widely at him as he picked up his prize and headed to the tree line. Tiny water droplets flew in every direction as the large woman shook to rid her pelt of the excess water. Turning to face him she laughed at his expectant look. Moonshadow lived for days like these. Carefree, spending it with her children or loved ones. It had been so long since she had just simply enjoyed herself. Picking up her own prize, the mother went and joined her son in the shade. She laid down facing him and began to eat her lunch. Mercury met emerald with a toothy smile as he thanked her for teaching him. "Of course my love. I love ya." she replied with a few more beats of her tail against the rocky ground. She was happy to not only spend this time with him but to be able to pass on her knowledge. Though despite the happiness she felt, the again Eastfall woman had guilt lurking in the shadows. If only she had taught him sooner, maybe he would have been better prepared for being on his own...

-FADE-