671 Users Online
Google, Bing

circling and circling, i don't know how — Sanguine Cove 
Print · · Subscribe · 0 Loves ·
Played by Tasha who has 349 posts.
Sanguine Cove III. Shaman
Aquene Slayer
For Leo! Set right after pack meeting

After the meeting had concluded, she had ushered Eclypse back into the den and asked Nash to watch her so she might approach the young Vuesain. A soft smile forming her features as she let out a soft bark, breaking into a light canter in order to catch up with him. She had done her best to look after all of the children she had watched grow up, especially after Aleister’s passing… and Leo was no different in this moment.

“Leo, can we talk for a minute?” She had sensed his hesitation and apprehension over the mission she had offered him during the meeting and she hoped she would be able to soothe his worries. She would not have suggested him accompanying her daughter had she not thought the boy perfectly capable. He had grown up into a strong young lad, even if he seemed anxious at the idea of something like diplomacy.

He’d even rather risk an almost fight with the Backwater rather than that…

“I chose you for this assignment with Magg because I fully believe you are capable of it Leo, but I noticed you hesitate at the meeting… what’s on your mind?”

Aquene Slayer
Played by PuppyThief who has 153 posts.
Sanguine Cove VI. Guardian
Leo Vuesain

He had his orders, and he would follow them, despite the pit in his stomach. Still, he was glad when Aquene pulled him aside – he felt bad about his protest at the meeting, however small – especially after all the nice words that had followed, and he wanted to explain himself. So, the shaman-leader’s question was well placed, and yet Leo still found himself a bit tongue tied, embarrassed at his own weakness.

It was a hard thing for, admitting any shortcoming – he wanted to be a good subordinate, a good wolf; Dad would never have felt this way…! He bit his lip, looking away from Aquene and down at his own paws, not able to meet her eyes, despite their kindness. “I just… I’ve never been that far away from home…” He faltered, shaking his head lightly as if that might loosen his tongue; “And for so long…” Travelling all the way to Snowmarch would take many days, just to get there, let alone back. He swallowed, feeling that dryness return in his mouth; I’m not cut out for that… Stella was the scout, not him, he much preferred staying close and keeping watch.

But he wasn’t gonna say that to Aquene outright, not after all those comments about his capability. And yet, her kindness prompted an answer, she was owed that. So he swallowed again, forcing his gaze up to meet hers as he admitted his failing: “I guess I’m… Scared.” The word hurt coming out, like claws scratching the inside of his throat. For all his attempts at following in his dad’s footsteps, of owning up to his name and his legacy; I’m just a coward!

Thoughts ”Speech”

[Image: FFeXvE1.png] [Image: LuHJBlS.png]
Aquene Slayer

She understood what it took. She understood the turmoil and doubt that could be had in oneself… but she did not wish to see Leo have to make all the same mistakes that she made when she was his age. This would be good for him, of that she had little doubt.

And so when she listened to him confess his fears, she offered a sympathetic smile. “I know.” She stated, a light tone to imply that it was precisely why she had tasked him with it. “It is good to get a wide breadth of experience… even as a guardian, who remains primarily at home.” She assured him softly. “Taking up this diplomatic role will give you a better understanding of what it looks like on the other side, to wolves who approach our borders.” It would expand his intellectual palette.

“And on top of all of that, I know I can trust you to keep Magg safe, to ensure that she stays out of trouble… because you’re loyal, and honest, and you care about this pack just like Nash and I do.” It was his home, through thick and thin…

“It’s okay to be scared… your father was often scared. I am often scared… it’s normal. In fact, it is necessary. Bravery cannot exist in the absence of fear.” One could not exist without the other.

Aquene Slayer
[Image: jNJyCis.png]
Leo Vuesain

His ears were pinned back against his skull, eyes cast down in shame. At first, Aquene’s words only made him feel worse, heart sinking as she mentioned all the good and thought-out reasons for him to go. It all made sense, a guardian should know about the other side of their work and about more of the world outside his pack; Not be scared of it!

Her faith in him only made Leo feel even more rotten, a direct image of his failure to live up to his father’s name. The boy wanted to be everything she believed of him, he yearned to do all it took to protect their pack, but his stomach still tied in knots at the thought of venturing so far away from it; Magg might be better off on her own…

Aquene’s last statement however, surprised him - enough for his eyes to flick back up, meeting hers with brows raised. “R-really?” He asked, voice small, almost pleading; “Even Dad…?” Aleister had always seemed fearless in his sons eyes, facing down any threat to defend his family, without hesitation; Could he really have been feeling like this too…? That made it all somehow even more impressive. Leo had thought his fear was a weakness, proof that he could never be as brave as his father, but if Aquene was right… “You really think I can do this?”

Thoughts ”Speech”

Aquene Slayer

Aquene did not do much on a whim. She thought things through, and the situation in front of her was one that was no different. It would push him outside of his comfort zone, but she argued it would be good for him. Magg could likely handle the trip on her own, but Aquene did not want her to. Instead, she wanted him to get this experience, and for them to push each other. She only hoped they would be open and willing. So far it seemed like they were.

As he asked about his dad, her heart broke a little. There was not a day that went by that Aquene did not ask herself if Aleister would be happy with the choices that she and Nash had made when it came to the fate of the Cove after his passing. She liked to believe her friend would support everything, including this. “Yes, even your father.” She stated with a gentle smile. “He was brave, and he was brave because he was often afraid… but in the face of that fear he found a way to push through, to overcome.” She would explain with a gentler tone about her. This was pivotal, formative.

“I don’t think, Leo. I know you can do this, because you are your father’s son.” And Aleister would be so proud of him.

Aquene Slayer
Leo Vuesain

Maternal figures had mostly been fleeting in Leo’s life; losing his birth mother when he was so young having left him guarded, and then finally opening up to Oksana, only to have her disappear too. But Aquene had been a constant presence, quietly supportive and always caring – she’d always been Kateri’s mom to him, not his, but in a lot of ways she was more than that.

So, hearing her speak with such approval of the young Vuesain, openly comparing him to his father and declaring her faith in him meant the world to Leo. He felt his throat tighten, this time in emotion rather than fear and had to swallow several times before he could answer, voice still hoarse; “Th-thank you… That means… So much to me.” A faint smile made its way onto his lips, eyes flicking down briefly in embarrassment. Then he composed himself, seeking to meet her eyes as he said, more confidently: “I won’t let you down.”

He’d still be terrified, worried at every second that something might happen back here while he was away. But he would do it anyway, face that fear just like his father had and make his memory as well as his leaders proud.

Thoughts ”Speech”

Aquene Slayer

She had always strived to be a mother to the members of the pack, even if she was not their mother, she sought to fill the role by guiding them as best as she could… in many ways, she had succeeded with them where she had failed with her children. Some of her own had left, Kateri had gone to the Backwater and left there, disappearing from her own child… she thought many a times that she had failed, but then she recalled that no parent could be perfect. She herself had left home even though her father had asked her not to.

As he spoke, she knew that she had done right here at least, giving him the motivating words that he needed in order to push forward with a mission that she knew he was more than capable of completing. A gentle smile found her features as he offered a more confident statement, a promise to her. “I know you won’t.” She would offer in final confirmation of her complete and utter faith in him. “You and Magg are both wonderful, and both of you will represent the Cove well.” She reaffirmed.

Aquene Slayer
(This post was last modified: Nov 30, 2023, 07:56 PM by Aquene.)
Leo Vuesain
Sorry for the long weight on this, but I thought it was still worth getting a proper wrap on it <3

After such words of praise, Leo had to stand up straight, letting the weight of responsibility settle comfortably on his shoulders. Nash and Aquene trusted him, and he would do everything in his power to live up to that trust, even if it scared him. Smiling a little more confidently, he nodded his head once, to himself more than her. “Thank you, Aquene,” he said softly, but with true feeling; “For… understanding.” It had been hard to admit his feelings, but her words had validated them, and given him courage to take on this task, despite of them.

He paused then, hesitating for a moment, before moving towards the dark woman. Shily, he reached to brush his nose against her chin, a rare show of affection as well as difference to her rank. He would probably never come to see Aquene as a surrogate mother – he was too old and had too many scars in the regard – but that didn’t mean he couldn’t care for her just as much as he did Nash and the little ones; They’re all family! Straightening to meet her eyes again, he promised: “I’ll look after Magg.”

Thoughts ”Speech”

Aquene Slayer

Her mother and her uncle had always taught her that it was not enough to mend the physical… that wolves could not just be what they were physically capable of. Their identities, their interactions with others… it all shaped who they were and provided a wholistic health that every Shaman needed to look after and mend. She would offer him a gentle smile as he thanked her, and in that moment she knew she had done them both proud…

In that moment, she allowed herself to wonder if her uncle Lachesis was still alive… he had been older, and she knew the most likely answer… much of her family had likely given way to age.

“I know you will… and I eagerly look forward to you both returning... now go, I am certain you have much to prepare.”

Aquene Slayer