(See All?) Announcements
568 Users Online
Google, Bing, Neo

We'll Conquer Anything — Sunrise Ridge 
Print · · Subscribe · 1 Loves ·
Played by Emmett who has 375 posts.
Inactive Deceased
Cottongrass
Backdated to October 4th after Cottongrass' reunion with Reyes. For the one and only @Askan :D

Running was a mistake.

It was the absolute worst invention in the whole entire world and Cottongrass sure hoped that the first wolf to ever run knew that. His everything hurt! From his paws to even his tail because he was very dramatic like that. Yet he refused to stop or even slow down his breakneck pace. He couldn't! Not when the scent of Askan was growing stronger with each passing second and his excitement only grew.

Because he spent the last month in absolute hell. The mountainous forests of the west had turned against him even though he once considered the region a second home. Apparently the sentiment wasn't mutual. How was he supposed to know that?! If he knew that he probably never would have wandered out there in a fit of self-pitying nostalgia in the first place. And he probably wouldn't have found Rayza but he tried not to think too much about the possibilities that came with that idea. He was determined to find and help the kid even if he didn't really understand his own reasoning.

But those were thoughts for later.

Thoughts for when he wasn't running like a madmen after the scent trail of one Askan Selwyn. And he still didn't believe what Reyes had told him moments before. About leaving Wild Rye Fields and all the other stuff that followed. Except it quickly turned out none of those worries mattered. Not when he crossed the fiery treeline into a meadow of dying grass and spotted the man he was looking for.

"Hey, hey, hey!" He barked. His yellow eyes shined and his jaws fell into a grin that was as happy as it was exhausted. He found the energy inside of himself to give one last crazed sprint forward and closed the gap between them. "Askan!" He called out. It was the last thing he said before colliding into a stocky frame covered in dark brown fur. They could worry about personal space later! Like when Cottongrass didn't have the serious need to lick and nuzzle the hell out of his best friend.

He had missed him.

COTTONGRASS
Played by Alice who has 1,273 posts.
Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn

Askan didn't see Cotton coming but he certainly heard him, thundering along like a herd of charging elk. For a moment he stood there, poised and reading to tackle whatever was hurtling his way. But as soon as he saw the fluffball dive through the air it was like a switch had been flicked. All of his animosity vanished and all he could think was 'oh good, he was okay.'

Out of all the disappearances from the Rye Cotton's bothered him the most. Without a word he'd just vanished, like he'd never even been there in the first place. At least with Percy he knew she was leaving-or at the very least that she wasn't coming back anytime soon- but the little Avalon was far more resourceful, streetwise then Cotton. He was a giant kid, for all Askan knew he could have gotten himself into a heap of trouble miles from home.

But no, he was here and he was safe, and right up in Askan's face, licking and wagging his tail like there was no tomorrow.

They collided with an 'offff' and a grunt, but rather than shove him away, Askan allowed the fluff ball to have his moment, to take solace in his big ole grump. Well, one of them anyway.

Scrunching up his face, Askan couldn't help the slight swish of his tail as he was greeted over and over by his friend. Well, who am I kidding, it was full on wagging, but that's aside the point. Only when he'd had enough-at least a minute or two later- did he gently nudge him away with his snout. If he wanted him to speak then Askan needed space, not much but a little. Besides, he still had a reputation to maintain, loner or no he was still a bit of a hard arse. Even if he had a list of wolves who were the exception to that rule.

"It's good to see you Cotton. What happened this time huh?" He asked, an amused crinkle in the corner of his eyes.

By scent alone he could tell he'd already found Reyes, which saved Askan from a whole lot of explaining. Things were finally coming together, like the missing puzzle pieces were slotting into place.

(This post was last modified: Oct 09, 2017, 08:07 PM by Askan.)
[Image: kana_pixel_by_marthypie-dcn3i8m.gif]
[Image: se_sig_by_becuffin-dbuushz.png]
Inactive Deceased
Cottongrass

He didn't let up his loving assault until Askan pushed him away. And even then he managed to sneak in a few extra adoring licks before pulling himself back. He just couldn't stop himself! Askan was one of his best friends. He just might have even been one of his most favourite wolves in the whole entire world and that was a coveted title shared only with Reyes. Saying Cottongrass was excited to be reunited with Askan was a gross understatement. Especially when his tail wouldn't stop wagging like crazy and his cheeks hurt from smiling. He didn't even know that was possible until just then!

His emotions only intensified when Askan finally spoke.

"I got lost!" Cottongrass blurted out before he could stop himself. And that was the truth. He went and got himself turned around in the middle of nowhere and spent a whole entire month finding his way back. But he was pretty sure that nobody could blame him. He grew up in the open tundra where the most exciting landmark he ever saw was a particularly big hill. There was no way anybody could fault him for getting himself more than a little lost in a region full of thick forest and mountains. Not even Askan! Speaking of which —

"And you're not allowed to make fun of me!" Cottongrass added on for good measure. Because he saw the way those yellow eyes seemed to glow and shine and he wasn't having it. Especially when he just finished showering the man with his sheer love and adoration. He would bite him! It would be the world's softest bite and nothing like the one he gave Aytigin but a bite nonetheless. Somewhere behind him his fluffy rear end gave a petulant wiggle to punctuate his very threatening and intimidating point. He even puffed up like a very angry little owl for the sheer theatrics of it.

Except he couldn't bring himself to be upset for long. Not when he was practically floating on cloud nine without a care in the world. Because Reyes told him about the plan and he loved it. Which reminded him!

"Reyes —" He stuttered. "Reyes told me everything." His head bobbed along to his words like he understood everything perfectly. It was the best idea ever! Something that only smart wolves like Askan and Reyes would be able to make up together. And it was only then did his sunny mood falter. His smile faded and his brow furrowed. He took a step back.

"You're —" He started only to immediately falter. "You're okay with me coming, right?" And he knew Reyes invited him along but suddenly he wasn't sure if the man had actually meant it. What if he was just being nice? It wouldn't be the first time someone made plans only to leave him behind. His parents did that a lot. Even his ataatatsiaq did it more than a few times. But Askan and Reyes wouldn't do that to him... Right? He mustered up a weak smile.

COTTONGRASS
Played by Staff who has 4,812 posts.
There are several fresh rabbit tracks in the mud. Hunt Opportunity
Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn

He got lost huh? Askan was certain that if his head wasn't attached to his body he would have somehow lost that too. Or his tail, or even his ears. The point was he was glad to see the fluffball again. Immeasurably so. Even if he wouldn't admit the true extent of which he had missed him, the facts remained the same. Cottongrass might have claimed he wasn't allowed to take the piss out of him, but it was hard not to smile, even if just a little bit, a quirk of his lips.

If anyone else had fed him that line he would have scoffed and rolled his eyes, for how could a wolf get lost? But Cotton was in a whole league of his own, the general rules didn't apply to him. He was a special case.

"Not allowed huh? Well I'll certainly try, not making any guarantees though."He sniggered, his eyes crinkling with devious mirth.

Askan's ears twitched at the sound of his mate's name. Whether he wanted to or not he couldn't ignore it, he was just so enamoured with the sod. Not that he was really complaining but...Anyway, it appeared as though Reyes had gotten to Cotton first, which was no big surprise as that tended to be the way of things.  Reyes knew Cotton well before he did, so in that regard they were probably closer too. Which was fine, Askan wasn't gonna get jealous over something as petty at that.

As to what he meant by everything, it wasn't  hard to figure out what he was talking about. There wasn't much else to talk about these days, them leaving the Field was hot off the press.

"Mmm, I'm good with it. You're not the worst company.That was a wild understatement, but he wasn't going to lay it on thick just yet. Well...maybe he'd just add a little more, just to make sure his intentions were clear."Really though, I'm glad you're coming. Would hate to have you getting lost all on your own again." He told him, his tail swishing behind him as he stepped forward to give him a quick nose boop.

Inactive Deceased
Cottongrass

Askan was the best. There was no doubt about it and Cottongrass was pretty sure he could talk about the many different amazing qualities of the man before him until the sun disappeared behind the horizon and even then some. Would that be weird? He felt like it was a weird thought for him to have about someone he considered a friend but at the same time he didn't care. Not when Askan had brushed away his worries with nothing more than a few teasing words and the briefest of nose boops.

"Okay." He mumbled. And he didn't know what he ever did to deserve such nice friends in his life but man, he was beyond grateful for them. His tail wagged like crazy through the cold air and his jaws parted in a goofy smile. "I just—" He glanced at Askan only to glance away moments later. Like he wasn't sure if what he was about to explain was even worth saying. But they were friends. He decided to go for it.

"I just wasn't sure if it was a, uh, Askan and Reyes thing, or a — or a friend thing. You know?" Did that make sense? He felt like it made sense in his head but his words usually made a mess of things. It probably didn't matter. Not when he was just so happy to be reunited with his friends. His insecurities could rear their many ugly heads later. Like when he figured out what he was doing with Rayza and when they had finally all settled down somewhere nice and safe. And speaking of Rayza

"Oh!" He barked. His yellow eyes flashed as he remembered something else that had been swimming around in his thoughts all day. "I gotta tell you something." Cottongrass chirped. "It's very important." He added on for good measure with a very profound shake of his head. His rear end gave a happy wiggle and he waited for Askan to give him the reaction he was waiting for. Which was the okay for him to probably spend the next few minutes rambling away and getting distracted before finally getting to his point.

It was something he would probably end up doing even if Askan tried to walk away from the conversation but Cottongrass was still proud of himself. He was self aware! He knew what he was doing! And him getting lost for a month probably went against that very point but he pretended none of that ever happened. It was officially a part of the past. That meant nobody could make fun or him for it or even acknowledge what happened. It was in the rules somewhere about life and friendship.

He would know because he made up the rules in the first place.

COTTONGRASS
Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn
sorry for the shorter post, but i wanted to get it out- the overwatch event is eating my time :0

For once Askan could understand as to why Cotton was so nervous. But he needn't have worried, for Askan was more than happy to have him tag along, for wherever they went he would be welcome. At this point he still didn't know where they were going, but as long as Gabriel and Cotton were there he was sure it would work out in the end, as it always seemed to.

That wasn't to say he was free of worries and fears-Askan would never be free of such things- but at least of there and then his outlook seemed brighter. Like there was light at the end of the tunnel.

"I understand. But we're good, you and I. If I didn't want you about you'd know it. I don't like suffering in silence, okay?"

Which was undoubtedly true. Except that perhaps he had suffered for a while in the field, he'd bitten his tongue and held back for far too long, hoping, praying that his leaders would change things before it was too late. And yet, through no real fault of their own-or so he liked to think- they hadn't. Their inaction had forced his hand, really. It was either this or living on in misery.

"Go on then, you have my ear."He told him, with a reassuring nod.

Admittedly, he was curious. Cotton claimed it was very important, but that was yet to be seen. After all, they undoubtedly had two very different definitions of what was important. But rather than laugh and shrug him off, he truly did intend to hear him out, it was the least he could do for a good friend.

Inactive Deceased
Cottongrass

Was Askan making fun of him? He couldn't tell. Not even when he squinted his yellow eyes and cocked his head to one side because maybe if he looked at Askan from just the right angle everything about the situation would just magically become clear. Nothing happened. He was pretty sure his instincts lied to him. Maybe it was already time for him to move onto his second plan of convincing Askan that his news was serious and important.

"I'm serious." He chirped because that was it. That was his amazing backup plan and he sure hoped it worked or else everything he was about to say would just be really awkward for the both of them. He punctuated his point with an energetic butt wiggle. Because the one thing he knew from experience was that wolves usually listened when he acted like a very upset puppy. He was even ready to pull out the big guns which meant stamping his feet and whimpering. Let it be known that there was no level too low for Cottongrass when it came down to getting his way. But he was getting distracted.

"I uh—" He was already floundering. This might have been a new record. "I gotta go away for a few days." He finally managed to spit out. What followed next could be best described as backtracking because he wasn't very brave in these kind of moments. "And only for a few days! I won't — I won't disappear like I did last time. And if you really don't want me to go I'll listen and stay with you guys!" That was probably a lie. He wasn't going to stick around with Askan and Reyes while his good conscious ate him from the inside out. But Askan hopefully didn't know that.

"It's just that I, uh, I met someone while I was lost and I promised to help him, you know?" He didn't even know where Rayza was but that's why he needed to disappear for a few days. His plan was that he would beeline it to the forest he got lost in and follow his trail back hopefully with the man in tow. He could figure the rest out later if Askan didn't crush his dreams then and there. His tail gave a nervous wag and he looked at the man before him with hopeful eyes.

COTTONGRASS
Inactive No Rank
Askan Selwyn

"Yeah, I believe you."Askan told him, the corners of his lips ticking up into a devious smile.

The more Cotton insisted that it was important the less it seemed to be. Like he was a little pup stomping his paws and getting all huffy over something quite inconsequential. Still Askan humoured him and with a dip of his head he motioned for him to continue.

It seemed as though Cotton had quite the tale to tell, as stammered on about how he wouldn't vanish, but he had something to do. Well that wasn't very convincing. Not that he thought Cotton was lying out of maliciousness, but clearly something was amiss. Like he'd only given Askan a portion of the picture. He wanted to believe him but he'd left before, what was stopping him from doing so again? What could really be so important that he had to leave right away, when they'd only just gotten reunited?

Apparently he had a reason to leave though, one that made Askan's brows raise. He needed to help someone? Were they more important than Reyes and Askan? Or was Cotton merely trying to do good? To help out any and all those he came across?

"Uh huh...So where's he at?"Askan asked with a suspicious squint."How do you even know if he's still there? If he really needs help don't you think he would have gotten it now, rather than just sitting around waiting for you?"His words weren't unkind. He was just being logical. It all sounded like a mess to Askan. As though Cotton had gotten things mixed up somehow."I won't stop you but...just think for a minute Cotton."He sighed, and raised a paw to itch at his snout. He should have expected as much, nothing was ever this easy.

"When you're done, or whatever... Well, Reyes and I are heading to the east."He'd just made up his mind now, after all he needed to point the fluffball in some sort of general direction. Aside from away from the Lowlands."There's these woods, near a big waterfall, we'll be near there."

He didn't know the area very well as he'd only been there in passing, but that was better than nothing, he supposed.

Inactive Deceased
Cottongrass
*Awkwardly rolls you some Angstgrass*

Just think for a minute Cotton.

The moment the words left Askan's mouth Cottongrass flinched. His ears rolled back against his skull and he tried to make himself smaller than he actually was. It didn't work. Not even when he tucked his tail between his legs and averted his gaze. Because he knew that certain tone of voice. The one that pretended to be patient and polite but he could hear the words underneath. He was being dumb. Askan knew it. The whole entire world probably knew it and he could feel something red hot and shameful bubbling just beneath the skin.

"I just thought —" He was trying to be nice. Especially when Rayza seemed younger than him and he knew it wasn't easy to be on your own as a yearling. But the words clogged in his throat. They choked him and he had so much more to say but he couldn't. Not when he knew that if he continued speaking Askan would probably tell him that he was making excuses. That he was acting childish and he couldn't keep acting like this. He was supposed to be better than that. Those kind of days were supposed to be past him. But apparently not. Not when he acted like some kind of dumb little puppy that didn't know better. And in that moment he wanted to disappear. Or maybe he could roll onto his back and start grovelling because that usually worked in these kinds of situations. But he got the feeling that Askan wouldn't like any of those options and he was left feeling frustrated.

"'m sorry." He finally mumbled with averted eyes. And he got the sensation that Askan was excusing him but he didn't know if he was supposed to take it or not. He settled for staying where he stood, awkwardly crouched and doing everything he could to make himself smaller than the other man.

COTTONGRASS